PDA

View Full Version : Eye prescription Question

MSWR0319
03-26-2021, 05:52 PM
DS has an astigmatism in one eye. I noticed today that the contact they gave us to try has a prescription of D +0.00 , cyl -.75, BC 8.6, axis 160. His other eye with no astigmatism is D -.75, BC 8.4, Dia 14. So is an astigmatism the same as a non-astigmatism prescription where the prescription part is the +0? I'm trying to figure out why they're wanting me to pay and arm an a leg for contacts for astigmatism when they aren't even going to correct his vision. I mean, can't he just wear one contact in the right eye?

lisa928
03-26-2021, 06:22 PM
DS has an astigmatism in one eye. I noticed today that the contact they gave us to try has a prescription of D +0.00 , cyl -.75, BC 8.6, axis 160. His other eye with no astigmatism is D -.75, BC 8.4, Dia 14. So is an astigmatism the same as a non-astigmatism prescription where the prescription part is the +0? I'm trying to figure out why they're wanting me to pay and arm an a leg for contacts for astigmatism when they aren't even going to correct his vision. I mean, can't he just wear one contact in the right eye?

The axis is the astigmatism, so no correction on vision, but correction for astigmatism. The axis describes the exact position of the curvature on the cornea and is given in a range of 0 – 180. The other eye has a correction of -0.75. And yes astigmatism contacts are much more expensive. I get DH at Costco.

Snow mom
03-26-2021, 07:03 PM
Correcting the astigmatism _is_ correcting his vision. Even though he doesn’t have a + or - prescription of that eye doesn’t mean that he sees out of it correctly. The shape of the eye does affect his vision, making it difficult to bring an image into focus.

ETA: 0.75 doesn’t seem like that much of an astigmatism. That is very close to being in the normal range. I think it’s fine to ask what about that prescription makes the doctor feel the eye needs correction.