PDA

View Full Version : Vaccine question/Comorbidities

Twoboos
03-29-2021, 04:43 PM
I was recently told that Vacs here with a single comorbidity are coming soon, like next week. And that i would be eligible as a "former smoker." I was shocked that I would be considered a former smoker! Yes I absolutely smoked socially/randomly in college and my 20s, but it's not like I was buying cartons of cigarettes or anything. I don't *feel* like a former smoker lol.

At first I was like NO I will not sign up for this, others need it more. And then I kept thinking about it. Did some googling to see if I'm really a former smoker, and the CDC seems to say if you've smoked 100 cigarettes or more, that makes you a smoker. So, yah I guess I am?

So, now I'm not sure what to do. And I'm talking to DH about when he would sign up, bc he smokes cigars. Same kinda thing, randomly/socially but unfortunately it still happens now. (I have begged him to cut it out but he "doesn't inhale" so to him it doesn't count. Like mouth/tongue cancer don't count? But whatever DH.) :irked:

SnuggleBuggles
03-29-2021, 04:55 PM
My public health expert friend recently shared that about # of cigarettes (or other smokables...) in a lifetime and said many people qualify as smokers. I think if you can get a vaccine, get it. :)

carolinacool
03-29-2021, 05:06 PM
Honestly, if you're eligible, sign up and don't think twice about it. The end goal is to get shots in arms.

MSWR0319
03-29-2021, 05:08 PM
If you qualify, get the vaccine! According to the definition, you're a former smoker and it just landed you a great prize :ROTFLMAO: I get that it feels like it doesn't count, but it technically does so sign up! You're not trying to cheat the system and the more shots in arms the better off we are.

Tenasparkl
03-29-2021, 05:34 PM
Honestly, if you're eligible, sign up and don't think twice about it. The end goal is to get shots in arms.

Exactly.

JElaineB
03-29-2021, 05:39 PM
Agreed, if you are considered eligible then get it.

georgiegirl
03-29-2021, 05:42 PM
I agree with everyone else. If you are eligible, get the vaccine and don’t feel guilty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

carolinamama
03-29-2021, 06:03 PM
Get the vaccine as soon as you are eligible. Have your DH get the vaccine as soon as he can. Don't feel guilty. Never miss an opportunity to vaccinate, as Daniel Griffin likes to say.

ezcc
03-29-2021, 06:34 PM
I agree, get it! I think some of the eligibility requirements have been misguided (see my bitching post) but that is certainly not your fault, if you are eligible don't second guess- go for it.

Liziz
03-29-2021, 06:39 PM
Get it.

I qualified and got my shot last month as a "healthcare worker" even though I do not work directly with patients. I had some of the guilt you're having about feeling like I didn't want to take a vaccine out of the arm of someone who needed it "more" than me. I kept picturing keeping some nurse or EMT from their shot. That was compounded by all the negative stories and hate towards the vaccine line jumpers (which don't get me wrong, is not okay) -- I was very worried I'd be called out for being a line jumper, and because of that, I didn't post about getting the vaccine on social media and have in general been pretty quiet about the fact I got it.

Sharing all that to say, I know how you feel about not being sure you *really* qualify, even if you do. But, after lots of reading and soul searching, I did get it, and am grateful for the chance. Over and over the advice from medical ethicists and others is "get it as soon as you qualify". Another thing that helped me feel better about it was the suggestion that if you feel guilty, go get it, but then do something to help others get it too -- volunteer at a site, help an elderly neighbor sign up to get theirs, etc. This is by chance what I did -- I was able to get my husband's elderly relative signed up on the same day I got mine (although it was just total chance as I'd already been attempting to get her a spot for awhile, and would have regardless of me getting mine!).

JustMe
03-29-2021, 07:55 PM
I was told to take my turn when it came, even if I thought others needed it more than me, as shots in arms are so important. So, that is what I did and I recommend you do the same.

AnnieW625
03-29-2021, 08:10 PM
Another slightly guilty person who only qualified due to BMI and only because I have an essential govt. job (and am working from home), but I will get my second shot on Friday and am happy to be done with it. So I say go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

specialp
03-31-2021, 08:42 AM
Get your shot. I have a lot of criticisms on the employment categories that swept in people whose jobs have no risk. And my criticism isn't of the workers because we've all been told to get it as offered, but of the system and I think we need to be OK looking at how it can be done better next time. But comorbidities are, imo, a well backed category and we do need to get the shot when we can.

On a different note, some places such as pharmacy chains do not update their online eligibility until the day the new tier goes into effect. They've gotten better at this with just having broader categories, but some still do it. It has been very annoying when you can see appointments for your category open on the day you would be eligible, but the online intake doesn't have your category open yet. Be prepared for that and you can fill out accurately when you get their in person.

dogmom
03-31-2021, 09:10 AM
From a public health standpoint I think once the vaccine is offered to frontline workers and the over 70-80 population things get very muddy. Healthcare workers need it so the system doesn’t collapse and the elderly because they have such high mortality. There are real issues about access and at different minority and at risk populations. I think it is more important not to use your privilege to take a slot at some community site in a high density/high minority neighborhood where people don’t have access to the means to get to other sites than it is get a vaccine ahead of someone that has a more “deserving” risk factor. You will be one less person apt to spread it.

twowhat?
03-31-2021, 09:20 AM
If you qualify where you live, then sign up and get it! It's impossible to dive into the semantics behind priority groups and who is really priority, so they do the best they can with the goal of spacing out groups based on vaccine supply.

I agree with dogmom that it's the people who flat out lie (eg say they have asthma when they don't, decide that a BMI of 28 is "close enough" to 30, etc...) to get a spot, or those who find out about an underserved community no-appointment-needed distribution event and drive 45 minutes from their nice expensive neighborhood with high-speed internet access to get there and get in line that bothers me.