PDA

View Full Version : Quick: Dryer broke, what to do

mommy111
03-31-2021, 12:14 AM
Our front loading Electrolux dryer just went pfft. We need a new dryer and I was wondering what people do in this situation. Should we get the same dryer again? It was good enough, not WiFi connected and expensive. Or should we get something else cheaper and with WiFi but then have mismatching washers and dryers for the foreseeable future? What do people generally do in these situations?

jgenie
03-31-2021, 12:20 AM
I would research and buy a dryer that gets good reviews. I wouldn’t bother with wifi unless it comes standard now. I wouldn’t worry about matching what you have but not matching would drive my DH nuts!

AngB
03-31-2021, 12:50 AM
Our front loading Electrolux dryer just went pfft. We need a new dryer and I was wondering what people do in this situation. Should we get the same dryer again? It was good enough, not WiFi connected and expensive. Or should we get something else cheaper and with WiFi but then have mismatching washers and dryers for the foreseeable future? What do people generally do in these situations?

We had this happen about 2 years ago. The dryer we replaced was only 1.5 years old, so annoying. We bought a different brand of dryer for obvious reasons and just don't have them match.

AnnieW625
03-31-2021, 02:37 AM
Oh no! Our basic non steam Electrolux dryer is 9 years old and I think the electrical board is slowly going but it is still drying clothes and I have to use different cycles than I used to. I am thinking when we have to replace ours we will get a Speed Queen dryer as we love our washer.

Did you try unplugging it and seeing if it turned back on?

I would not get a wifi connection. I am a big fan of KISS appliances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
03-31-2021, 08:45 AM
I would research and buy a dryer that gets good reviews. I wouldn’t bother with wifi unless it comes standard now. I wouldn’t worry about matching what you have but not matching would drive my DH nuts!

:yeahthat:

Have you talked to a repair person? That would be step one, and I assume you have done that. Better to try and fix what you already have if it's new and you like it. Or try to DIY. There are YouTube videos for everything then you'll at least know you tried before getting something else. It could be a super easy fix.
If you went down repair road already, back to my "yeah that". It happened to us last fall (2019) and I had to chill at my IL's and treat it like a laundromat while waiting for the dryer to be delivered...binged HBO since I didn't have it at home. :) We just bought a dryer that got good reviews and had the capacity we needed. I actually think that a lot of sets should be broken up because reviews may be good for half the pair but not the other. Mix and match as needed.

belovedgandp
03-31-2021, 09:26 AM
I have been mismatched since 2016. They are both white and the same height, so works for me.

My first set from 1997 inched along and basically died together in 2013. Bought a Samsung set in 2013. The washer was such a lemon I'd already replaced it in early 2016 before they were all recalled. But I kept the Samsung dryer. Bought a Speed Queen washer which I love. Samsung dryer made it 7 years and big it in 2020. I just went for good reviews and honestly it was July 2020 so what was in stock made a huge difference. Ended up with just the dryer from Costco.

gymnbomb
03-31-2021, 10:14 AM
I don't care at all about WiFi (honestly didn't even know that was a thing now?). I also don't care if mine match. When I first bought my dryer it was the same color and brand as my washer, but not an actual matching set. The washer started leaking and we replaced it with a different brand (didn't try to repair because I'd never liked the washer and had been looking for an excuse to get a new one for a while anyway). I currently have a Speed Queen washer and a GE dryer. It is fine. When the dryer dies I'll replace it with a dryer I like in a price range I'm comfortable with. I see no reason why it would matter if they are the same brand.

squimp
03-31-2021, 04:02 PM
How old is it? Have you had a repair person look at it? Our locally owned shop does repairs and they have honestly saved us truly thousands of dollars over the years by fixing things rather than buying new.

Kestrel
03-31-2021, 04:31 PM
Are your front loaders stacked? If you get a different brand, they may not attach together.

If they're not, get whatever replacement you like. Who is going to see them, anyhow?

mommy111
03-31-2021, 05:17 PM
Thank you all! I have tried youtubing (doesn't work) and repair doesn't work
It is so good to know that it's not unusual to have different washers and dryers.......I see so many dryers that are so much cheaper and seem highly rated but the difference is bothering me

lil_acorn
03-31-2021, 07:35 PM
Thank you all! I have tried youtubing (doesn't work) and repair doesn't work
It is so good to know that it's not unusual to have different washers and dryers.......I see so many dryers that are so much cheaper and seem highly rated but the difference is bothering me

Unless your washer & dryer is out in the open, who cares if they don't match? With a dryer, we wanted to buy the least complicated, least electronic one possible (all it needs to do is spin hot air!), so we purchased a kitchenaid dryer that lasted 20 years! In that same time, we went through 3 washers...