PDA

View Full Version : The dog peed on the rug... now what???

hbridge
04-04-2021, 05:36 PM
So Easter happened... We merged our bubble with my parents for the first time since October. All was great. Our sweet 7 year old pup was the star, as he always is. However, he then proceeded to pee on the rug...a lot. In retrospect he was trying to tell us he needed to go out. I actually had just looked at the clock and thought, he went out two hours ago, he should be fine. NOT SO MUCH!!! He proceeded to pee a ton on the rug, right next to the couch in the living room!

This boy has not had an accident in YEARS! Not really his fault, since he was definitely trying to tell us. However...

So, now I need to figure out how to clean the carpet and floor, and the side of the couch (which was splashed on). I have sprayed EVERYTHING with Natures Miracle (but it is on older bottle, maybe 8 years old). When that was almost dry, I sprayed everything again with 50% vinegar/50% water. That is currently drying... What next?

I have ordered a black light and a new bottle of natures miracle.

My concern is not so much about a stain or even the carpet having a smell, it is more that the dog will now see that as a "pee spot". I need to get rid of the smell completely and move things around in the room so that it NEVER happens again.

So, how do I get rid of the smell so the pup can no longer smell it?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. My first instinct was to just get rid of the carpet, but this is our very pricey rug...

doberbrat
04-04-2021, 06:10 PM
I honestly think you're good. One dousing with nature's miracle is all I've ever done. Make sure you saturate it with NM. If there is any sort of an underlayer, you need to make sure it was saturated as well. If you really really think that there is an issue, just redouse with NM, cover with plastic wrap (to saturate it further) for a few hours then let it air dry. or dry with a fan. Make sure the underside of the couch (and the legs) gets NM if that was potentially an issue. And then, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I'm sorry that happened on a chaotic day. Could be nerves of suddenly having people over again or could be a health issue so keep an eye out.

hbridge
04-04-2021, 06:30 PM
Thanks so much. I also thought of a health issue, however, I honestly think he overhydrated. He had a physical less than two weeks ago, so I don't think it's a health thing, but we will definitely be keeping an eye on him. I did notice he was drinking a lot between demanding love from everyone. With people over he was definitely overly excited and probably got thirsty.

I will re-treat everything with NM again tomorrow after it all dries. It was a really tough spot to treat with people over or even with everyone home in weekend mode. Tomorrow when it is quiet, I will give it one more dousing and then maybe rearrange the furniture a little so he has difficulty accessing the same spot easily.

The poor pup was definitely trying to tell us...he went to the door, he barked, ect. We just were NOT listening. I think all the excitement was just overwhelming so he drank up :). The last two times he had accidents where during the winter when he ate his weight in snow. We will definitely be keeping an eye on him this week.

erosenst
04-04-2021, 11:11 PM
Sorry this happened! Agree with the Nature’s Miracle.

But - many dogs will pee in front of you/where they know they shouldn’t when they have a UTI...including one of ours. If it continues tomorrow I would try to get in at the vet.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikala
04-04-2021, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't be especially worried about your dog marking the spot again. From your description this was the first time in years so pup clearly knows the bathroom is outside.

We went through so much Nature's Miracle when our dog was a puppy and on rare occasions since but I don't think we've ever had the same place twice. The enzymes should take care of the smell.

hbridge
04-05-2021, 07:20 AM
Thank you ALL so much! We are definitely going to keep an eye on him. I may even call the vet later today just to check in. I think he may have overhydrated due to excitement and then we didn't catch his signals... Hoping it's a one off.

He is such a wonderful and trustworthy dude! I feel horrible that I missed his signals :(

Sorry this happened! Agree with the Nature’s Miracle.

But - many dogs will pee in front of you/where they know they shouldn’t when they have a UTI...including one of ours. If it continues tomorrow I would try to get in at the vet.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twowhat?
04-05-2021, 11:10 AM
Agree with Nature's Miracle or enzyme cleaner (I like Anti Icky Poo which I can get unscented). Quickly soak up as much pee as you can first, then saturate with Nature's Miracle or similar. You really have to saturate it - I find that a spray bottle doesn't do a great job of saturating carpet AND pad underneath so I pour it on and then squish with my hands to make sure the enzyme cleaner reaches ALL areas where the pee has soaked. If it's a rug on hardwood floors, obviously clean and dry the wood floors underneath first but then I put a layer of plastic down, and then lay the rug on top of the plastic, and then saturate with enzyme cleaner and squish it thoroughly into the rug.

Overexcited definitely can cause accidents! When there are people in the house, and less attention on the dog to recognize signs of needing to pee, it happens and I've felt similarly bad for similar events! And it's a LOT of pee when they've been holding it for so long with no one noticing they've been asking to go out!

Our housetrained dogs have never gone back to the site of an accident like that to pee.