PDA

View Full Version : Thursday night supper

basil
04-10-2021, 09:02 AM
Any ideas for an easy, throw in the oven, even DH can do supper for Thursday nights (i.e. I haven't been shopping in a while)?

I'm usually late on Thursday night, not getting home until 6 or 6:30 pm. My kids are omnivores, DH is pescatarian, and I'm mostly vegetarian. Our usually weekly rotation is something like:

Mon - roasted salmon/tofu, rice, broccoli
Tues - taco salads (turkey for kids, beans for DH and I)
Wed - pasta (turkey meatballs for kids, vegan meatballs for us)
Thurs - come home tired and end up feeding the kids bagel bites or fish sticks while we eat instant noodles

Would like to have something healthier that DH can throw in the oven while I'm on the way home. DH literally can't cook anything that requires much more advanced technique than that (no eggs, no pancakes, no French toast, no grilled burgers). My kids are picky, but I like to add a bunch of vegetables to my own meals for health. Ideas?

KpbS
04-10-2021, 09:31 AM
You mention no eggs, but could he learn to cook omelettes? Or is it a matter of doesn’t want to learn or doesn’t have the time/energy? They are pretty easy and easy to add lots of veggies to.

But if he can’t, I would prep a breakfast casserole that is basically the same ingredients and have him put that into the oven. I love to add lots of spinach or kale to mine along with Italian tomatoes. I also put a pan of turkey bacon into the oven and that’s super easy. If I have extra time, all do a simple fruit salad like strawberries and blueberries, but he could just wash a package of blueberries.

Peaches Keane
04-10-2021, 09:43 AM
My kids like to eat mussels. We buy them frozen in a sauce and add a can of chicken broth to the cooking pot. Additionally, we save the remaining sauce liquid and use it to poach frozen white fish fillets. Both cook quickly and easily. Add a salad.

You might want to consider meal delivery kits that offer pre-made ready to heat and eat options. Examples: What a Crock, and Sunbasket. I can’t post links right now, sorry.

Peaches Keane
04-10-2021, 09:45 AM
What a Crock (https://www.whatacrockmeals.com/collections/all)

Peaches Keane
04-10-2021, 09:46 AM
Sunbasket (https://sunbasket.com/menu) click on Fresh and Ready on the left side.

mm123
04-10-2021, 10:25 AM
Could he throw a quiche or a lasagna in the oven? A frozen one, or one that you’ve prepared ahead? Or heat up a hearty soup that you’ve already made?

Or what about having a sandwich and salad night? Get some nice submarine buns or bread, and everyone can put in what they want.

Philly Mom
04-10-2021, 10:52 AM
I love roasted veggies. You can cut and prep earlier in the week. Mix with evoo and a touch of salt. All he needs to do is put them in the oven on a tray.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

gymnbomb
04-10-2021, 10:54 AM
We do egg sandwiches a lot on nights like that. We use a little microwave egg cooker where you crack the egg in the container, microwave for 50-60 seconds, and it is done. Takes about the same amount of time as toasting the English muffin or bagel to put it on. Add cheese and veggies if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carolinamama
04-10-2021, 11:11 AM
Make your own salad bar - chop veggies, shred cheese and hard-boil eggs ahead of time. Add grilled chicken if your kids like
Taco salad bar
Make your own baked potato bar - prep and cook toppings so you just need the microwave for broccoli or whatever you like
Grilled cheese and tomato soup with lots of fresh cut veggies
Charcuterie board - meat, cheese, deviled eggs, nuts, fresh veggies, fruit. All your DH would need to do is arrange it on a board
Leftovers night - make a little extra throughout the week
YOYO night (very popular in our house) You're on your own! We all make our own meals within reason. Kids know they need to add at least some form of veggies and/or fruit. They eat Annie's mac and cheese, a bowl of cereal, sandwich, scrambled eggs, cheese and crackers etc. We are around to supervise and guide but I'm not presenting a meal. DH and I usually eat leftovers, throw together a salad or even a sandwich.

echoesofspring
04-10-2021, 11:28 AM
Thursday can def be a tricky night foodwise at our house as well. This feels like the perfect night for a prepared meals from Trader Joes or Costco, etc. Frozen quiche, veggie lasagna, etc. that only require turning the oven on. If he's interested in learning more cooking skills, maybe a meal delivery service like those suggested above.

California
04-10-2021, 11:40 AM
https://sweetpeasandsaffron.com has freezable, make-ahead meals. If you have the freezer space, you could double a recipe and have two Thursday meals ready to go in your freezer. Most need to do defrost in the fridge (but some don't- like this one: https://sweetpeasandsaffron.com/taco-casserole/)

PunkyBoo
04-10-2021, 11:57 AM
Trader joe's is your friend. I'd get boxes of the red pepper and tomato soup, we like to add a can of black beans, some of their frozen roasted corn, and shrimp. Easy and so yummy. You can also look at the regular grocery stores prepared deli items, maybe there is something that can just be heated.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

twowhat?
04-10-2021, 12:08 PM
I think I'd do a prepared meal as well...if all he can do is throw something in the oven, I'm assuming he can't operate an instant pot if you have the pot all ready to go?

My kids' favorite quick meal is the tortilla-crusted tilapia from Costco. I usually make a veggie and rice to go with it, but your family could do carrot sticks or raw veggies with dip. I swear we eat it twice a week hahaha. You'd have to sub the fish for something else for yourself though when you get home. But it would take care of them.

Kestrel
04-10-2021, 12:22 PM
I make homemade marinara sauce in huge batches and freeze. Then I can throw in the crock pot in the morning, or DH can when he gets up. Then we can do sausage or meatballs with it if we choose (both precooked in the freezer, too), make some kind of noodles or make meatball subs. When I'm not home, DH will also use this same sauce on boboli pizza crusts and they can put whatever they want on their own crust.
We would do similar with chili or soup from the freezer; but it's getting a bit warm for that - we mostly do that in the winter.

basil
04-10-2021, 03:27 PM
Thanks so much, lots of great ideas!

DH is NOT interested in learning any cooking skills. In 14 years, I've taught him one recipe (roasted salmon and broccoli). I am hoping for something that doesn't really require any prep. I prep on the weekend but I don't feel like most stuff lasts well to Thursday (cut veggies, etc). I also leave early in the AM so I don't really have time to start anything then.

I always forget about Trader Joe's. It's a bit out of the way for us, but I could stock up.

My kids may like that tortilla tilapia. I haven't ever bought that one. I recently bought a miso cod that they didn't like :(

I'll also look into microwave egg cookers. I think he could do that.

He may be able to do a stir fry if it's dumping bags of frozen stuff in a pan. He can operate the rice cooker as well.

StantonHyde
04-11-2021, 01:33 PM
Pizza once a week never hurt anybody ;)

hwin708
04-11-2021, 01:35 PM
Double your portions for pasta night, reheat the leftovers on Thursday.

candaceb
04-11-2021, 01:47 PM
Ravioli/tortellini is our go-to backup dinner and it's almost always what DH cooks if he has to cook dinner (he is capable of more but doesn't want to and both he and DS are perfectly happy with ravioli). Either with tomato sauce or olive oil & parmesan, microwave some broccoli on the side.

petesgirl
04-11-2021, 02:02 PM

My thoughts exactly. Especially if you can get your kids to eat veggies on it. I've been known to order a Papa Murphy's pizza with several different types of veggies and then I also add broccoli, carrots, and cucumbers with ranch on the side.

gymnbomb
04-11-2021, 02:20 PM

Yes! We have a local pizza place that has really good pizza, but we also keep a couple of frozen pizzas on hand because sometimes it's just one of those nights! We also keep a bag of frozen cheese ravioli or tortellini and a jar of sauce (and often have "better" sauce in the freezer if we remember to thaw it).

doberbrat
04-11-2021, 04:31 PM
Personally, I would move pasta night to Tue, and make extra to eat on TH. Or, pick up some frozen veggie lasagna or other frozen meals to pop into the oven on TH. Frozen veggie burgers on toast could work as well with either frozen fries or a salad (or both)

We also do not cook daily. I cook 2-3 nights a week and we eat leftovers & 1 night of pizza.

ang79
04-11-2021, 04:43 PM
Thursdays we need to eat early and head out the door for Girl Scouts so that is usually leftover night, or something quick like frozen ravioli/tortellini and meatballs. My kids like the Tomato Basil soup from Sam's Club, so I keep that stocked in the freezer as well for a quick meal w/ grilled cheese sandwiches.

DualvansMommy
04-11-2021, 06:25 PM
Soups is often our friend for nights like that. Spring sports is back and well in our area, so Wednesdays and Thursday is tough.

As the weather gets warmer, swap out soups to salads with grilled vegetables and proteins. Your DH can grill the protein. We use Trader Joe’s as well a lot for those nights. Peanut butter/natural butter sandwich’s with a side of fruit and Turkey sausage never hurt anyone too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hellokitty
04-11-2021, 09:37 PM
Can you pick up a cooked rotisserie chicken at costco or sam's club, do a grain side dish and veggies?