PDA

View Full Version : Blocking internet access?

PunkyBoo
04-10-2021, 04:01 PM
Is there a way to block internet access to all devices in the house at set times? Or a way to temporarily disable access on a particular device until I can manually switch it back on? DS1 suspects DS2 is going into DS1's personal Chromebook in the middle of the night, circumventing the password protection by using "guest mode". Apparently the internet history does not get saved in guest mode. I *think* the other devices are locked down enough to keep him out but I was not aware of this work around on the chromebooks.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
04-10-2021, 07:18 PM
I would try to determine if that's actually happening, and deal with that first/eliminate that behavior before spending time and energy with internet blocking. How is DS2 getting ahold of the Chrome book?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PunkyBoo
04-10-2021, 08:12 PM
I would try to determine if that's actually happening, and deal with that first/eliminate that behavior before spending time and energy with internet blocking. How is DS2 getting ahold of the Chrome book?

Sent from my SM-G950U using TapatalkDS2 is infamous for denying everything. It's likely that it's happened. We are dealing with behavior issues, but his therapist recommended I circumvent opportunities for him to lie. I need a stop gap as behavior is an ongoing challenge. We keep all electronics downstairs at night.

basil
04-10-2021, 08:20 PM
Maybe this is low tech, but could you just unplug the router or wifi and move it to your room at night or something?

carolinamama
04-10-2021, 08:29 PM
Check to see if your internet provider or router already offer parental controls. More longterm - the Gryphon router with parental controls would give you control at a device level.

I collect all devices and keep them in my bedroom at night. Right now I've been keeping laptops and chromebooks downstairs, but I've also collected those when we've had problems. The most successful hiding place I have right now is the dirty clothes basket. Kids can be sneaky and it's so hard to keep on top of it sometimes.

mom2binsd
04-10-2021, 08:37 PM
DS2 is infamous for denying everything. It's likely that it's happened. We are dealing with behavior issues, but his therapist recommended I circumvent opportunities for him to lie. I need a stop gap as behavior is an ongoing challenge. We keep all electronics downstairs at night.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using TapatalkI'm sorry didn't realize that. I guess just putting the laptop in your room would be the easiest. Easier than dealing with the internet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

o_mom
04-10-2021, 08:38 PM
If it is a personal chromebook (not a school one), you should be able to disable guest mode.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1059252?hl=en

See the second case "Let only certain people sign in to your Chromebook"

Mommy_Mea
04-10-2021, 08:38 PM
Can you just turn off the guest account on the chromebook?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

RiverRat
04-10-2021, 08:40 PM
Another option is some routers will let you set up a guest network. Kids devices go on the guest network and it gets shut off at certain hours. Different password for my network so I can have internet all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

dogmom
04-10-2021, 09:03 PM
The quick fix would be to change the WiFi password at a certain time and not supply the new one to the kids the am. I know there are better technologically fixes out there. We have two routers for redundancy, but you could always set up two I your house and have the kids use one that gets shut down at a certain time. Sorry you are dealing with this. I completely understand the let’s eliminate the temptation white we work on the other stuff.

lizzywednesday
04-10-2021, 09:15 PM

I collect all devices and keep them in my bedroom at night. Right now I've been keeping laptops and chromebooks downstairs, but I've also collected those when we've had problems. ... Kids can be sneaky and it's so hard to keep on top of it sometimes.

:yeahthat:

I lock DD's devices in my nightstand.

We also put a passcode on the good TV (main/family TV) to keep DD from sneaking out of her bedroom at 4am to watch YouTube (only device in the house, aside from my laptop & her school Chromebook, that can access YouTube) before school.

georgiegirl
04-10-2021, 11:54 PM
On the advice of someone here, I purchased a safe and lock everything inside (iPads, TV remotes, Xbox controllers), and that has completely solved the problem. When I just had them in my room, DS1 would try to sneak in quietly find them. I don’t like up my devices (or Dh’s or DD’s). They are in our room and password protected. Only DS1 had a problem...my other two kids can self-regulate and would never wake up in the middle of the night to mess around on the internet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hellokitty
04-11-2021, 01:37 PM
My husband uses Google wifi and suspends internet access to the kids' devices. Our oldest one was staying up all night in middle school with crap grades and caught him! All devices are also in our bedroom and they do not have access to any of the game controllers for the xbox. Our Nintendo switch has really awesome parental controls on it and the kids haven't figured out a hack to it yet.

squimp
04-11-2021, 02:38 PM
This technology is really tempting for kids, isn't it? My new mesh wifi router allows me to turn off wifi to any device during certain set hours, or at any point in time. Our old router allowed me to turn off the router during certain hours with a parent bypass and that is what I had set up through middle school - the network went off at 11 pm and turned back on at 6 am. The newer wifi system allows me to turn off the network for any device at any time, or set up hours for that time. I am not super computer savvy but I made it work for us.

elizamom
04-11-2021, 08:04 PM
Our router has an app that allows me to switch on/off internet access to each device. I wish it had a timer, but no such luck.

I appreciate reading that I'm not the only one with a child that will wake up in the middle of the night to try to get some extra YouTube time. What is this about?! I guess it is fairly common, if not the norm, for a child to do this. Wow.

khm
04-12-2021, 08:30 AM
Check both your internet provider's website and your router's. I've used both at different times to disable the wifi during certain hours. Once you get logged in to the admin page via a web browser it was pretty easy. But, it all depends on what you have. I never had to buy anything extra, it was available on what we had.

PunkyBoo
04-12-2021, 06:30 PM
Thank you for all the advice, especially the commiserating. This parenting gig is tough sometimes, isn't it?? Ugh!
Our router hardware is from our service provider and because I'm working from home, I decided it's probably too complicated to try to modify that (we just got all new equipment from them and have had all sorts of complications). DS1 was completely satisfied with the advice from o_mom on shutting down guest mode. Thank you!!

babyonway
04-13-2021, 04:43 PM
Thank you for all the advice, especially the commiserating. This parenting gig is tough sometimes, isn't it?? Ugh!
Our router hardware is from our service provider and because I'm working from home, I decided it's probably too complicated to try to modify that (we just got all new equipment from them and have had all sorts of complications). DS1 was completely satisfied with the advice from o_mom on shutting down guest mode. Thank you!!

I have this router (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079JD7F7G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and it is perfect and will meet your needs. It has great parental controls in that you can forbid certain sites (by device) and shut off any device connected to the main or guest network during certain time blocks. So for example the Ipad can't connect to the internet between 10 pm and 7 am etc. It also allows for priority access. This is the main reason I bought it as I WFH and DD is in remote school and I was able to allow my work computer and her school IPad priority access against all the other devices that suck bandwidth (ie Alexa, my phone) so neither of us now have connection issues.

It was easy to connect and all the settings can be done from your smart phone.