PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor party games for teens?

jent
04-14-2021, 02:35 PM
DD's birthday is coming up in a few weeks. Our state Covid guidelines allow for outdoor stuff only, so that is what we're doing. DD wants it to be a "casual, hang out" kind of party but I want them to have a few things to do to not be bored. We have a corn hole set and a slack line.

Anyone have other ideas for outdoor party games?

Thanks!

KpbS
04-14-2021, 02:48 PM
For my DC’s parties we played ball tag, kickball, and jackpot. Also knockout is fun if you have a basketball goal.

PunkyBoo
04-14-2021, 02:52 PM
I realize this is going to sound ridiculous, but I organized a few games for a mixed age neighborhood party on Halloween and everyone (including the petulant teenagers) had a blast.

1) Blow up a bunch of balloons- seriously a LOT. Set up a line of chairs outside, one per person. Have them all run to the bag/box of balloons, grab one, run back to their signed chair, and pop the balloon by sitting on it. Then they run grab another balloon, sit to pop. They have to collect the knot piece of each balloon so you can count up the winner, whoever pops the most. (That also helps with the cleanup). This was easy to keep social distance and really silly and fun.
2) everyone pairs up. Everyone holds a cup (we used solo cups). They stand lined up facing their partner, about 4-5 feet apart. One person of each pair gets exactly 20 (or however many you want, as long as each team has the same ) pieces of candy in their cup (we used candy corn, but you could use jelly beans or anything else small). They have to throw each piece of candy and the partner had to catch in their cup. Whoever finished first and had the most candy transferred into their partners cup wins. We didn't allow picking up dropped candy off the ground.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

mmsmom
04-14-2021, 02:55 PM
The teens here play a version of tag called “Infection”. I have no idea what it is but they are running a lot and have fun. Interestingly they started playing this game last summer although I’m told it has nothing to do with Covid.

belovedgandp
04-14-2021, 04:19 PM
Can't be a large group, but smaller groups can play bocce or spikeball.

Percycat
04-14-2021, 04:24 PM
My dd likes to have a fire pit and watch movies outside.

Kestrel
04-14-2021, 05:35 PM
For our middle-school group, an outdoor (oversize) Jenga was really popular, as well as plain old frisbee.

SnuggleBuggles
04-14-2021, 05:36 PM
Fire pit and hanging out works well.
Last year they did a slip and slide and it was one of their summer highlights. :)

jent
04-14-2021, 09:02 PM
Thanks guys! We have frisbees and a fire pit! Although I was thinking mid afternoon so not sure it will be fire pit time.

Punkyboo, I think the balloon game and cup game sound silly but fun. I could see the kids liking it but I think DD will think it's "too much" if I take the time to set up games like that!

Lawn Jenga sounds cool! Bocce too. I'd never heard of spike ball, had to google to see what it looks like.

Infection tag sounds like Zombie tag, I think that game has been around awhile but yes new meaning in the Covid era!

roobee
04-14-2021, 09:22 PM
My kids still like glow sticks. I still like them too TBH. We also have a set of poi - they're put away so they never get used, but I think they're neat. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O2DMBJO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_C9MBBZ10KQNY647DCPA9

A Smores bar, some music and some glow sticks is about all my DD would probably agree to, probably not even all that. She doesn't like me to fuss, which is such a bummer because that's pretty much my favorite thing to do.

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
04-14-2021, 09:31 PM
My kids recently played musical chairs (yes as teens), if you use their fav songs it is pretty fun, you can give a 5.00 DQ gift card as a prize for games etc.

SnuggleBuggles
04-14-2021, 10:21 PM
Thanks guys! We have frisbees and a fire pit! Although I was thinking mid afternoon so not sure it will be fire pit time.

Punkyboo, I think the balloon game and cup game sound silly but fun. I could see the kids liking it but I think DD will think it's "too much" if I take the time to set up games like that!

Lawn Jenga sounds cool! Bocce too. I'd never heard of spike ball, had to google to see what it looks like.

Infection tag sounds like Zombie tag, I think that game has been around awhile but yes new meaning in the Covid era!

Ds1 and his friends like to play with fire anytime. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

gatorsmom
04-14-2021, 10:36 PM
Cooking over fire always keeps kids busy. At any time of the day, my teenage boys and their friends are ready to eat so you could have hotdogs and buns with ketchup and mustard available and that will keep half of them happy. :)

At one of my teens' parties I put together a tray of different smores fixings. Instead of the plain old hershey bars they combined marshamallows with snickers, kitkats, and other chocolate. Along with graham crackers we had chocolate covered pretzels, chips ahoy cookies, etc. I think I even found different flavored marshmallows to put on the tray. It was all just goodies I found at Target but it was pretty fun and yummy to make different combinations.

ang79
04-14-2021, 10:40 PM
Can't be a large group, but smaller groups can play bocce or spikeball.

You can play in teams of two for Bocce, so up to 8 people. We have a badminton/volleyball set that I got for cheap at Aldis last year. My girls also like to play Kam Jam and the metal washer toss game (should be easy to make a DIY version). How about minute to win it games? My GS troop hosted a daddy/daughter tailgate event and had a lot of these games and corn hole set up around a park and everyone had fun choosing a few friends to race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk