PDA

View Full Version : Keep or toss? Chicken sell by date

ang79
04-27-2021, 08:28 AM
I had a pack of chicken tenders in the fridge from Aldi. Totally meant to use them last week but got lazy and did leftovers and take out for a few meals. Planned on using them in my air fryer for dinner tonight and I just looked and the Sell By date is April 22, no Use By date listed though. They are in the original packaging and have been in my fridge (top shelf) since I purchased them. Thoughts? I'm never sure what the difference is between Sell By and Use By or if they are considered the same!

SnuggleBuggles
04-27-2021, 09:16 AM
Dh just did the grocery shopping this weekend (for the 1st time in a year! yay!) and bought meat that was on sale. I joked that it was probably a day away from expiring so we read the labels. All had been packed the day before (pack date) and their use dates were all 4-5 days later. So, at least at my store (not Aldi) that is the system.
Chicken smells bad and gets gross. You will know if you shouldn't use it simply by smelling it.

KpbS
04-27-2021, 10:11 AM
How does it smell? Organic chicken is likely to last and regular is less likely. Also where in the fridge has it been? In the back more likely.

doberbrat
04-27-2021, 11:12 AM
smell it and touch it - as it starts to go bad it gets slimy and it smells