PDA

View Full Version : Update Post 33. Eagle Scout Question?

bisous
04-28-2021, 04:34 PM
New update post 39

Just put in an extension...we'll see if it is granted!

See update in post 33

DS1 SAYS he wants to finish his Eagle Scout award. He's 17.5 and will be a Senior next year. All he has left for his Eagle is the project! BUT DS1 is also going through a bit of a mental health crisis. We'll see if the summer changes things. Here's the thing. DH is not sure he wants DS1 to expend his energy in this particular area right now. DS1 has serious ADHD, Anxiety, OCD, and (although less relevant here) Type 1 Diabetes. He's doing great in school but his practical skills are really quite poor. DH would rather see DS1 getting a job and learning to drive, rather than getting his Eagle Scout award!

I see his point. I also want to see him doing these things. Yet, he's so close to finishing. And also, I think Scouting is good for developing people skills, leadership, etc. DS1 says he loves scouting, but honestly I think it is something that he sort of likes doing but doesn't LOVE. As such, he would work on his Eagle Project if I asked him to but he isn't begging for it. DH wants him to beg for it. I see DH's point about putting a priority on a job and driving. But I also think that gently nudging DS1 to finish his Eagle would be good for him in many ways. It would be good to finish what he started (he's so close!) but I also think that the process is a good experience, requiring him to show leadership but also to interface with people in ways that will help him grow.

So, considering his mental health struggles and his age, do you think I should just let him lead me on this one? Or do you think a gentle nudge is ok? DH is team let him lead, I'm inclined to nudge. FWIW, DS2 is VERY active in his current troop (Patrol Leader) and is totally gung ho. It would be convenient to have the two boys in the program at the same time!

Would welcome your thoughts!

ETA: I just realized, I'm probably asking the wrong question. My real problem right now is that DH really doesn't want to continue to pay for scouting when DS is not doing these other things. I very definitely think he should keep with it for just a few more months at least, right? Then after that I really do think DS1 (with small reminders, helps) will get his Eagle. DS1 claims he really wants to prioritize this. But DH wants him to BEG for it. Partly because he knows that DS2 would absolutely get in his face every five seconds if there was something that he wanted. But DS1 isn't like that at all. I am going to push for letting him stick with scouts! Our dues are like $20 a month or something tiny!

o_mom
04-28-2021, 04:41 PM
No great advice. We are in almost the same situation.

This last year has been hard on DS1. If he shows initiative on the project but can't quite get it done, we will file an extension for him (they are pretty much granting any extensions that say COVID right now), but I need it to come from him.

SnuggleBuggles
04-28-2021, 04:56 PM
He’s so close. I’d push him to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

carolinamama
04-28-2021, 05:05 PM
The thought that kept running through my head while reading your post was that I think you should encourage DS1 to finish. Especially because of his mental health struggles. Finishing a project that he's worked towards for so many years may give him a sense of accomplishment. Will you have to nudge? Probably, but think of your role as scaffolding and setting him up for success. It's a big deal and a good step working towards the future for him. After this past year, many of our teens are waffling a bit. Getting back out into the world, making decisions and going after a goal will probably be challenging to them. I suspect we will need to push and nudge many. My DS1 is going to be in for some tougher times this fall for sure, even though he's done great academically.

Getting a job and driving are important too but take it one step at a time. Maybe you can slowly work on the driving but I'm not sure how it works in your state. We took DS1 to an empty school parking lot multiple times to practice before he took drivers ed. It helped with his stress and it's all been a smoother process than I anticipated (he has his learners permit). He has anxiety and is tightly wound.

AnnieW625
04-28-2021, 05:28 PM
I would want him to finish the Eagle Scout as well. That will stay with him for life; a part time summer job....maybe but the Eagle Scout is an amazing accomplishment. It will look good on college apps., and intern applications, and part time jobs in college that will mean something. I think it will help his mental health a ton as well. Job wise see if he can do something for your church or neighbors/friends/family members like mowing lawns, dog sitting, etc. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ett
04-28-2021, 05:42 PM
He’s so close. I’d push him to finish.

Yup, I would absolutely encourage him to finish. It would look very good for college applications. He has 6 months left before his 18th birthday to get it done which is very doable if all he has is the Eagle project. I'd try to get the project done over the summer as fall semester of senior year is very busy and there is a lot of paperwork to do after the project too. Your DS will lose this opportunity once he turns 18. You don't want him to look back and regret not even attempting to finish when he is so, so close. There will always be time afterwards to get a job and learn to drive.

gymnbomb
04-28-2021, 06:15 PM
If he has expressed any interest at all in doing it, I would nudge him to do it. Finishing what he started is a big mental boost and an important life lesson. (If he showed no interest at all I would let it go)

lizzywednesday
04-28-2021, 06:47 PM
I took the Silver Award and Gold Award Advisor trainings for Girl Scouts last summer and the one thing that the trainer emphasized with these kinds of awards projects is that the Scout completing them should be passionate about their issue, highly organized with respect to time & assistance, and self-motivated.

It's my opinion that, based on what you've written here, your DS1 doesn't have this kind of drive and should focus on getting the other parts of his life together instead. Either way, it's going to be a big project, whether it's self-care or a long-term thing for your community, and he should be fully invested in it first.

gatorsmom
04-28-2021, 06:48 PM
I would want him to finish the Eagle Scout as well. That will stay with him for life; a part time summer job....maybe but the Eagle Scout is an amazing accomplishment. It will look good on college apps., and intern applications, and part time jobs in college that will mean something. I think it will help his mental health a ton as well. Job wise see if he can do something for your church or neighbors/friends/family members like mowing lawns, dog sitting, etc. .

THIS. Push him to get his project done. It’s hard getting to this point with all the merit badge and rank requirements. If he’s done all that, he should try to finish it. He can get a job afterwards, he get his license afterwards. There are no expiration dates on those activities. But he only gets one chance to see this through. Urge him to make this a goal. Give him advice on how to get started. The first few steps of any project are always the hardest. Give him some advice and reminders as he is moving forward on this. Once he’s outlined his plan and made a few moves, he will see that this is doable and he will pick up speed. This will give him confidence.

My DS1 dragged his feet something terrible on this. He struggles with depression and procrastinates a LOT. I pushed him to contact his troop leaders. I reminded him to set up meetings with people, I pushed him to create a plan, told him how to find numbers for people to contact about projects, reminded him to return emails, etc. Dh and I were involved a lot in the beginning. But he found his confidence after he made 3 fundraising presentations to local businesses. They praised him and gushed to us over his speeches. Now he is running this project 100% himself. Now He’s excited about it, organized and making progress. He will get it done in the next month- 6weeks which is a little more than a month before his 18th birthday. It took some serious pushing at first but now he’s found his momentum. I suspect your DS and DH will get more involved and excited about this too, once your ds takes the initial steps forward. GL!

belovedgandp
04-28-2021, 06:50 PM
I'd do a hard nudge. The mental health boost of completing something is no small thing.

I will also add that BSA treats the 18th birthday as an extremely hard deadline. My brother had an outdoor project 6 days before his 18th birthday and I've never seen my mother stress about weather more in my life. He had to get everything written up and turned in before the 18th birthday no extensions possible. Admittedly this was in the mid-90s and we're not in scouting now, but it was a definite drop dead date.

jgenie
04-28-2021, 06:54 PM
I would push him to pick a project and complete it. Having this under his belt will be great in the future. Jobs and driving can be done later. He only has the next 6 months to get this done. I think it will be a big boost to his self confidence too.

bisous
04-28-2021, 06:57 PM
I took the Silver Award and Gold Award Advisor trainings for Girl Scouts last summer and the one thing that the trainer emphasized with these kinds of awards projects is that the Scout completing them should be passionate about their issue, highly organized with respect to time & assistance, and self-motivated.

It's my opinion that, based on what you've written here, your DS1 doesn't have this kind of drive and should focus on getting the other parts of his life together instead. Either way, it's going to be a big project, whether it's self-care or a long-term thing for your community, and he should be fully invested in it first.

This is interesting. Part of why I wrote about his mental health status is because I think it is a reason for describing why he needs more of a nudge than he might otherwise. I have sat on a few Eagle boards and I recognize that it should be self-directed. But I do think that people with challenges need a little more support. But I suppose I'm not entirely sure how much? I think in this case, all he needs is a few reminders. He won't be on par with the finest youth that I've seen come through the program, but he will qualify in nearly every respect. He'll have done the work...

bisous
04-28-2021, 08:38 PM
I updated my OP. I realized that the biggest problem right now is not whether or not to nudge DS1 to the Eagle project (which I don't think will take much nudging!) It is convincing DH that we should keep him in scouting. I think the posts here convinced me to at least do that! I start working in earnest on that!

sariana
04-28-2021, 08:41 PM
My vote is for the Eagle project, mostly because of the time limit. He can get a summer job or learn to drive at any time, but if he misses the opportunity for the Eagle, there are no re-dos (as other posters have mentioned).

gatorsmom
04-28-2021, 08:45 PM
I updated my OP. I realized that the biggest problem right now is not whether or not to nudge DS1 to the Eagle project (which I don't think will take much nudging!) It is convincing DH that we should keep him in scouting. I think the posts here convinced me to at least do that! I start working in earnest on that!

They really stand out on resumes. I interviewed a manager once who told me that at another job, he was helping his boss sort through a large stack of resumes. The boss said, “ take out all the resumes of people who achieved Eagle Rank and create a separate pile. Then throw all the other ones away. I only want people who have achieved Eagle Rank.” I’ve heard they can make a difference when applying fir colleges too. Tell your DH to ask around. Eagle Rank is respected. If your son only has the project to finish it would be such a waste to stop now!

Mermanaid
04-28-2021, 09:18 PM
Get his Eagle because it’s time bound. He can learn to drive or get a job anytime.

SnuggleBuggles
04-29-2021, 09:42 AM
They really stand out on resumes. I interviewed a manager once who told me that at another job, he was helping his boss sort through a large stack of resumes. The boss said, “ take out all the resumes of people who achieved Eagle Rank and create a separate pile. Then throw all the other ones away. I only want people who have achieved Eagle Rank.” I’ve heard they can make a difference when applying fir colleges too. Tell your DH to ask around. Eagle Rank is respected. If your son only has the project to finish it would be such a waste to stop now!
So get rid of all the women? Sorry, couldn't resist! (I know BSA is inclusive now but not sure if it's been long enough for females to have been able to earn it).
I do think there are other ways to show commitment and excellence though- not all kids are lucky enough to live where there are good scout troops so there are lots of valid reasons why someone doesn't achieve that.

SnuggleBuggles
04-29-2021, 09:43 AM
Your dh is making a weird stand, OP. Please keep having your ds1's back and see this through to the end. It's not that much longer and it will be something he can always know he accomplished.

amyx4
04-29-2021, 09:48 AM
So get rid of all the women? Sorry, couldn't resist! (I know BSA is inclusive now but not sure if it's been long enough for females to have been able to earn it).
I do think there are other ways to show commitment and excellence though- not all kids are lucky enough to live where there are good scout troops so there are lots of valid reasons why someone doesn't achieve that.

The first females to earn Eagle Scout where just this spring.

SnuggleBuggles
04-29-2021, 09:51 AM
Thanks! I figured it was getting close.

amyx4
04-29-2021, 09:54 AM
You may already know this but there are extensions (past their eighteenth birthday) for document disabilities and depending on where you live there are also deadline extensions due to Covid. Your council will have more details. I would still encourage him to finish as close to his birthday as possible.

lizzywednesday
04-29-2021, 10:05 AM
This is interesting. Part of why I wrote about his mental health status is because I think it is a reason for describing why he needs more of a nudge than he might otherwise. I have sat on a few Eagle boards and I recognize that it should be self-directed. But I do think that people with challenges need a little more support. But I suppose I'm not entirely sure how much? I think in this case, all he needs is a few reminders. He won't be on par with the finest youth that I've seen come through the program, but he will qualify in nearly every respect. He'll have done the work...

I think, based on what you've described I would change my answer: if he can get his project completed in 6 months with the nudges he seems to need, he should go for it. Does he have a project in mind?

It's a little different because Girl Scouts working on Gold Awards have until September 30th following Senior year of high school to complete their 80 hours of active leadership on their projects, which have to be approved through the National system, goGold, but they won't get their project approved or complete the work if they don't have a lot of internal drive. The other part of Gold Award projects is that they need to be self-sustaining; those kinds of logistics can be challenging if someone's not motivated.

lizzywednesday
04-29-2021, 10:07 AM
So get rid of all the women? Sorry, couldn't resist! (I know BSA is inclusive now but not sure if it's been long enough for females to have been able to earn it)...

I know a few female BSA Scouts who've earned Eagle. In fact, there's one Girl Scout in my service unit who's a member of both BSA and GSUSA ... and she's earned both Eagle and the Gold Award.

SnuggleBuggles
04-29-2021, 10:10 AM
I know a few female BSA Scouts who've earned Eagle. In fact, there's one Girl Scout in my service unit who's a member of both BSA and GSUSA ... and she's earned both Eagle and the Gold Award.
It's still a relatively recent phenomenon so in the job hunting crowd, there probably haven't been many women that would have had the chance to have eagle Scout on their resume yet.

lizzywednesday
04-29-2021, 10:14 AM
It's still a relatively recent phenomenon so in the job hunting crowd, there probably haven't been many women that would have had the chance to have eagle Scout on their resume yet.

I generally agree.

I'd like to point out that, for women who were Girl Scouts, the Gold Award also requires an internal drive and project management skills. In today's world, the focus on self-sustainability should also be a plus to future college admissions boards and hiring managers.

bisous
04-29-2021, 11:35 AM
Thanks for all your opinions. Last night they had a service activity (outside and masked) and it was such a boost for both of my boys. They NEED this right now. Outdoors, safe, with other kids, and helping people is pretty much the antidote to the zoom existence they live for school. I love the idea of him working through a project. I don't think he'll need much of a nudge and I'm certain he can finish by the end of summer, if not much earlier. He has some ideas for projects, mostly in conservation and he also has some city leaders that have many needs. Having sat on several Eagle boards and helping other Eagles with the process (I'm the Advancement Chair on our committee) I know he'll ace the paperwork and the interview. He's very mired down in life right now and gentle suggestions are what's needed. This is in direct contrast to DS2 who has been super motivated since age 6 or so! He used to plan out the dreaded "parent" projects from elementary school (dioramas and the like) ahead of time and gave DH and I a schedule, lol. DS1 is not that kid. But honestly if not for the fog of an acute anxiety crisis, OCD episode right now he'd probably not even need a nudge...But DH wanting him to beg for the opportunity to be in scouts is not realistic and we had a frank talk about it yesterday. I'm certain I can prevail on this! (DH is not the biggest fan of scouts. He's a "rugged individualist" who did scouts as a kid but never got really into it and definitely wasn't an Eagle scout, lol!)

gatorsmom
04-29-2021, 11:42 AM

I THOUGHT THE SAME THING! My HR brain immediately thought, “That’s discrimination!” But his point was how highly the achievement is regarded.

I completely agree with you that there are so many other ways to distinguish one’s self. Not only do good troops not exist everywhere, but scouting is expensive. Many troops have equipment that can be borrowed or funds for kids less privileged, but not all. And all the requirements mean a scout to has to get to those activities somehow, and well-equipped. How could a single parent afford the time and money? But the more I get to understand what all is involved, the requirements to get to Eagle Scout really provide excellent experience in so many areas of life. The program does create a well-rounded kid, for those able to participate.

gatorsmom
04-29-2021, 11:44 AM

My daughter is determined to be one of the first in our area.

SnuggleBuggles
04-29-2021, 11:50 AM
I THOUGHT THE SAME THING! My HR brain immediately thought, “That’s discrimination!” But his point was how highly the achievement is regarded.

I completely agree with you that there are so many other ways to distinguish one’s self. Not only do good troops not exist everywhere, but scouting is expensive. Many troops have equipment that can be borrowed or funds for kids less privileged, but not all. And all the requirements mean a scout to has to get to those activities somehow, and well-equipped. How could a single parent afford the time and money? But the more I get to understand what all is involved, the requirements to get to Eagle Scout really provide excellent experience in so many areas of life. The program does create a well-rounded kid, for those able to participate.

:) I'm glad you had the same instinct.

Ds1's good frinds are all Eagle scouts and, man, they are huge flakes! The one bails on jobs all the time. It's nuts! He's a good kid but definitely not what one would call a hard, committed worker. :p

gatorsmom
04-29-2021, 01:26 PM
Ds1's good frinds are all Eagle scouts and, man, they are huge flakes! The one bails on jobs all the time. It's nuts! He's a good kid but definitely not what one would call a hard, committed worker. :p

Well, Boy Scouts makes them well-rounded kids but it doesn’t make them perfect. I wish. :shrug:

Percycat
04-29-2021, 02:34 PM
My family went through this process last year. The most challenging thing for my son to learn to do was calling people and asking for help. We coached him and had him practice with us. We also helped DS make a schedule with deadlines for him to complete various tasks.

One of the hardest things was deciding on a project. Originally, he was going to do a "project" that he was passionate about [he wanted to build a music wall structure for young children], but eventually decided to do a project for a group that he admired. His project supported an early child program that provides pediatric therapy and early intervention services to children with disabilities or developmental delays. He learned they needed a scooter ramp when he went to talk to them. Not a project he would have come up with on his own, but a completely appropriate project for demonstrating the leadership skills required for the Eagle Rank.

I have led several girls through Bronze and Silver awards and am a council advisor for the Gold Award. Despite routine comparison of the Girl Scout awards to the BSA Eagle Rank, they are different. I do agree that it is important for girls to be passionate about a project for the Girl Scout Gold award because of the expectation that the project address a problem and provide sustainable and measurable impact. I do not think a boy scout has to be passionate about his project, but he has to be committed to completing the project. Once your son figures out his project (and that can be as easy as asking a charitable organization what they need), he can use the Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook to complete the steps.

I suggest you encourage your son to complete his plan this summer and then plan to execute the project early next fall (or this summer, if he can get the project review early). This way the tedius work will be completed before school work resumes.

FYI -- you probably know this, but once he turns 18, he is an adult for purposes of scouts. You are so close to supporting him through the entirety of scouts. Your husband only has a few more months to pay dues.... : ) Good luck to your son!

bisous
04-29-2021, 06:39 PM
My family went through this process last year. The most challenging thing for my son to learn to do was calling people and asking for help. We coached him and had him practice with us. We also helped DS make a schedule with deadlines for him to complete various tasks.

One of the hardest things was deciding on a project. Originally, he was going to do a "project" that he was passionate about [he wanted to build a music wall structure for young children], but eventually decided to do a project for a group that he admired. His project supported an early child program that provides pediatric therapy and early intervention services to children with disabilities or developmental delays. He learned they needed a scooter ramp when he went to talk to them. Not a project he would have come up with on his own, but a completely appropriate project for demonstrating the leadership skills required for the Eagle Rank.

I have led several girls through Bronze and Silver awards and am a council advisor for the Gold Award. Despite routine comparison of the Girl Scout awards to the BSA Eagle Rank, they are different. I do agree that it is important for girls to be passionate about a project for the Girl Scout Gold award because of the expectation that the project address a problem and provide sustainable and measurable impact. I do not think a boy scout has to be passionate about his project, but he has to be committed to completing the project. Once your son figures out his project (and that can be as easy as asking a charitable organization what they need), he can use the Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook to complete the steps.

I suggest you encourage your son to complete his plan this summer and then plan to execute the project early next fall (or this summer, if he can get the project review early). This way the tedius work will be completed before school work resumes.

FYI -- you probably know this, but once he turns 18, he is an adult for purposes of scouts. You are so close to supporting him through the entirety of scouts. Your husband only has a few more months to pay dues.... : ) Good luck to your son!

Thank you. This perspective is great and really helps. The funny thing is, DS1 has already done a ton of work on selecting a project, calling, visiting people, etc. Each time he had something nailed down, some major event happened. School started up again, the charity changed their mind, the world shut down for COVID... etc. But he still has all that experience in reaching out. I'm really confident he can pull this off!

bisous
08-01-2021, 08:30 PM
So guys...Update.

DS1 has 2 months until he turns 18...and I don't think he's going to get his Eagle. I have been feeling so badly about this. I had to determine why it was bothering me and what it comes down to is that I feel like he's SO close. Like just needs to meet with two MB counselors (he's done all the work) and do his project. I don't feel like it will change who he is at this point. I just feel like he might be filled with regret if he made it this far and decided not to go through with it.

I've been praying about how to help him. He has a lot to do. Still needs to learn to drive, scraping by with a low A for his math class this summer (that has been a bit of a bummer), he needs to take ACT, SAT etc. Lots of stuff to get ready. And he's still struggling with his mental health issues. The most pressing has been a strong resurgence of OCD symptoms when he gets stressed.

The answer to my prayer today was to talk to him about what needs to be done and trust him to pick what is best for him right now. He picked working on his mental health, although he agreed to attend the tests if I sign him up for them! I promised him that I'd defer to what he wants for his life and that's my plan for now. I know I could "incentivize" him to get his Eagle award. But I think it is ok for him not to see this all the way through. I hope he doesn't regret it. I do think he will appreciate that we trusted him and let him own it. But it is still hard.

Thought I'd update. I think there were a few boys on the board that were in a similar position?

gatorsmom
08-01-2021, 09:50 PM
If it isn’t important to him, then I wouldn’t push him. It sounds like he’s dealing with quite a load right now. If he doesn’t care about it, I wouldn’t push him, particularly because it’s a very stressful project. Two months is VERY tight. If he really wanted to achieve this, I’d think he would have indicated that back in April when you first posted about it.

If however, he decides he really wants this, he should email/text/call his troop leader tonight to talk about how he can pull this off.

Ds1 finished his project but it was close and it was very stressful. To complicate matters, that was the week his girlfriend was struggling with suicidal thoughts. He really struggled with the details of his project. I asked Ds1 several times, “is this what you want? Because if so, you need to prioritize. You need to get you head wrapped around it.” He always said he wanted it and he was determined to get it. Because of that, we helped get other things out of his way so he could focus on his project. If he hadn’t really cared about it, if it was mainly me that wanted to see him get his Eagle, then I would have (begrudgingly) backed off.

KpbS
08-02-2021, 12:12 AM
My DS finished his project etc at the end of 2020 but we are just now having his Court of Honor in the coming weeks.

I am 90% sure there are extensions you can file and ask for due to mental health and Covid. I’ll see if I can find them.

KpbS
08-02-2021, 12:26 AM
Yes, he can apply for an extension with his local council to complete those merit badges, a projects
, etc. https://www.scouting.org/coronavirus/covid-19-faq/

There is paperwork to fill out (project proposal) which you can help him with and various meetings to be had for project approval. The project does not need to be complicated, long, or original. It can be as simple as a park work day, a clothing drive, etc. My DS built benches for his favorite summer camp. He considered building a little free library in a nearby community. We choose a project that could be completed with just 4-5 scouts/volunteers so we could be sure to get it done without a ton of help.

Petition for the extension.
I’d encourage him to get the MB done ASAP (my DS did several of his last ones online) and chose a project topic. Then begin that paperwork for approval. He can do it!!

Percycat
08-02-2021, 02:53 AM
I agree with Kpbs. I would encourage your son to meet with the merit badge counselors -- particularly since he has already done the work -- and request an extension for completing the Eagle Rank requirements.

If he ultimately decides not to do the project -- okay -- but at least he will have more time to decide and maybe will be in a better place to complete the project.

Either way, congratulations for letting your son figure out what is important to him and supporting him with his choices. I admire you as a mom.

ezcc
08-03-2021, 10:58 AM
I missed this first time around, but just jumping in to say that I know a few adults that have big regrets about not finishing their Eagle Rank- and they are in their 50s! I mean, obviously they have had successful lives and it hasn't held them back but they still talk about it being something they wish they had finished. If he can get an extension I would give that a shot. In the end though, there is a reason people don't finish- it's challenging! and it comes at a busy time of life.

bisous
10-01-2021, 12:31 PM
Update again...Just submitted an extension request. We'll see if they accept. He just needs a project and he really wants to finish. He has a letter from a doctor that explains his diagnoses and when I see it on paper, I recognize that he really has been disadvantaged and I hope the extension is granted. He has type 1 diabetes and ADHD and has had them for over a decade. He suffered from acute Anxiety and Depression during COVID. Put together it makes me realize that his "achievements" of carrying on during the past year, getting great grades and being a pretty decent person are quite the accomplishment in an of themselves. I hope he is granted the extension but we've come to a place of peace that he's done his best and now it is in other people's hands. Thank you for the encouragement. I've stepped WAY back (and stayed there) and this came from him. It was the right way to handle it whatever happens!

SnuggleBuggles
10-01-2021, 12:44 PM
Hope it works out. A friend, who raised 3 Eagle Scouts, said that many kids held bike rodeos. They were easy, successful and counted as their project. Just passing that ice in if you need one.

bisous
10-01-2021, 12:48 PM
Hope it works out. A friend, who raised 3 Eagle Scouts, said that many kids held bike rodeos. They were easy, successful and counted as their project. Just passing that ice in if you need one.

Thank you! I want to pass that along but what is a bike rodeo? One of the ideas he has heard about is a bike safety event for the community. I think he'd be really successful at that one and I think there is a need in our community. Is that similar to a bike rodeo?

SnuggleBuggles
10-01-2021, 12:51 PM
Thank you! I want to pass that along but what is a bike rodeo? One of the ideas he has heard about is a bike safety event for the community. I think he'd be really successful at that one and I think there is a need in our community. Is that similar to a bike rodeo?

Yep!
“A Bike Rodeo is usually a bicycle safety clinic featuring bike safety inspections (and optionally quick tune-ups), and a safety lecture about the rules of the road (10 to 15 minutes). This is followed by a ride on a miniature "chalk street" course set up in a parking lot where young cyclists are shown where and how to apply the rules”

http://www.bicyclinglife.com/SafetySkills/BicycleRodeo.htm

bisous
10-01-2021, 01:05 PM
Yep!
“A Bike Rodeo is usually a bicycle safety clinic featuring bike safety inspections (and optionally quick tune-ups), and a safety lecture about the rules of the road (10 to 15 minutes). This is followed by a ride on a miniature "chalk street" course set up in a parking lot where young cyclists are shown where and how to apply the rules”

http://www.bicyclinglife.com/SafetySkills/BicycleRodeo.htm

Love it!!!

KpbS
10-01-2021, 03:56 PM
Great update!

An event is a great way to go for the Eagle project. It takes planning and execution but isn’t a long term effort with follow up needed.

gatorsmom
10-02-2021, 07:59 AM
Update again...Just submitted an extension request. We'll see if they accept. He just needs a project and he really wants to finish. He has a letter from a doctor that explains his diagnoses and when I see it on paper, I recognize that he really has been disadvantaged and I hope the extension is granted. He has type 1 diabetes and ADHD and has had them for over a decade. He suffered from acute Anxiety and Depression during COVID. Put together it makes me realize that his "achievements" of carrying on during the past year, getting great grades and being a pretty decent person are quite the accomplishment in an of themselves. I hope he is granted the extension but we've come to a place of peace that he's done his best and now it is in other people's hands. Thank you for the encouragement. I've stepped WAY back (and stayed there) and this came from him. It was the right way to handle it whatever happens!

I hope it works out for him. I wanted to give you this Eagle project idea because it was a pretty easy one. It’s what ds1 did this summer and we just celebrated his court of honor 2 weeks ago.

Ds1 contacted the local nonprofit most active with the homeless in our city. In our case that was Catholic Charities. They suggested him creating backpacks with survival basics that they could give away. He made a presentation to 3 companies, raised $2500, and then called around asking for donations of stuff. Landsend gave him some seconds backpacks and a reduction on cost for more backpacks. He had a list of stuff Catholic Charities wanted in their backpacks like gloves, hats, tshirts, socks and toiletries. Another company donated leftover swag tshirts. He asked his troop to help cut off tags and fill the backpacks and then load them into his car. They got it done in a couple of hours this summer before he delivered them over to Catholic Charities. It was really appreciated by Catholic Charities and it was pretty easy project to plan for and execute. The hardest part was planning for and doing the fundraiser presentations.

I just wanted to throw that out there because you’ll need a project that is relatively simple during Covid-times and not too overwhelming to throw together in a short while if the extension is granted. Best of luck to your son!