PDA

View Full Version : Weird vax record issue. What is more likely?

AngB
05-01-2021, 02:43 PM
We have declined Hep.B at birth for all our kids. It's something I feel pretty strongly about since when DH was in the military we knew someone whose baby died in the hospital after receiving it and somehow it was tied back to that and I believe they actually got a settlement over it. (Whether it was directly caused by it or whatever, I don't know, I haven't really looked into the details, it's just something that freaked us out and we have always declined and felt pretty strongly about declining. We did the vit.k and everything else. Just not Hep. B, that soon.

So DD had her 2yo well visit yesterday and is getting set up to go to preschool in the fall. (We fully vax but on a delayed schedule, fewer things at a time especially when they are younger. She has even had flu shots both years.) Somewhere along the way between our visit in Oct and yesterday, someone put in her vaccination records that she got the hep.b on her birth day at 0 days old, which as far as we know, she didn't. They could have snuck it in, I guess, but definitely not with our consent. (But I had a c-section and signed several consent things so...) I looked through our hospital discharge paperwork and it didn't mention it. All of her previous shot records including her first dose of Hep.B , that I know of, don't show it until my records from yesterday. Is it more likely someone added it to her vaccination records mistakenly, assuming she got it at birth as many babies do, or is it more likely they gave her the vaccination without us knowing? (I asked DH in case I was misremembering and he said we definitely did not give permission for it.) Don't they give you some paperwork like a shot record with one shot on it, if she had gotten it?

If they added it as a mistake, that's fine, I don't really care as it makes my life easier I don't have to bring her back for a third dose of Hep.B this summer just to go to preschool and we'll get it at her well visit next year. (I'm fine with her going with two doses instead of the required three, I don't think she's likely to be needle-sharing,etc. at preschool.) It's bugging me that they may have given it to her at birth without our permission though, but I feel like that's less likely but maybe wishful thinking? Our ped is affiliated with a different hospital system then she was born at..

gamma
05-01-2021, 02:52 PM
You can request her full hospital birth record. In Some states, unless the record is sent to another physician or lawyer, they will charge by the page. If the discharge was within a few days, it shouldn’t be that much. Make sure you request the full record and not summaries.

Kestrel
05-01-2021, 03:22 PM
I agree with the above - request your full record if you don't already have it. However, our hospital gave us the full record on a flash drive we provided for a flat fee of $10 if we went in person (with two forms of ID).
These things do happen - I was recorded as having a vac in the hospital that I didn't have. I know I didn't - because I'm allergic and I'm still alive! :)

AngB
05-01-2021, 03:40 PM
Thanks, good to know! I hadn't thought of that but I may consider doing that if we don't figure it out next year. Our state does generally charge by the page but I am fine with asking our ped to figure it out, since I have pages and pages of all her shot records from them without it mentioned and suddenly this one it was there, should hopefully not be that difficult for them to figure out. (They have Epic so I think they can even see who added it to her shot record and when, we can generally see stuff like that at the hospital where I work that uses Epic. Since they added it to her record then they should have it in her records somewhere that she got it..)

NCGrandma
05-01-2021, 06:26 PM
Thanks, good to know! I hadn't thought of that but I may consider doing that if we don't figure it out next year. Our state does generally charge by the page but I am fine with asking our ped to figure it out, since I have pages and pages of all her shot records from them without it mentioned and suddenly this one it was there, should hopefully not be that difficult for them to figure out. (They have Epic so I think they can even see who added it to her shot record and when, we can generally see stuff like that at the hospital where I work that uses Epic. Since they added it to her record then they should have it in her records somewhere that she got it..)

If you’re still a registered patient at that hospital, do you have access to MyChart? I’m not sure whether you would need to add your DD's record or if newborn info is included in the maternal record. (Hey, when DC was born 49 years ago, the idea of patients seeing their med record in any form would have been shocking!) I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how much info is available via MyChart and Epic keeps adding features.

And as you know, Epic allows tracking of who/when info is added, although not in the patient MyChart version. Several years ago, someone inadvertently added a diagnosis of diabetes to my med record—nope, not accurate! My PCP was able to get it researched and removed promptly.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

mommy111
05-01-2021, 11:06 PM
It was probably a mistake at the last visit......