PDA

View Full Version : Kindle book - Who Gets in and Why by Jeff Selingo - $1.99

KrisM
05-16-2021, 08:50 AM
A few people here recommended this book for understanding college admissions. $1.99 right now on Amazon for kindle

https://www.amazon.com/Who-Gets-Why-College-Admissions-ebook/dp/B07Z43V2RY

jgenie
05-16-2021, 09:51 AM
Thank you!

wencit
05-16-2021, 11:31 AM
Just downloaded it. Thanks so much for sharing!

essnce629
05-16-2021, 02:32 PM
Excellent book and highly recommended!

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

erosenst
05-16-2021, 03:18 PM
Wow. Am glad I skimmed it but would be way more glad at that price!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essnce629
05-16-2021, 05:35 PM
Jeffrey Selingo was on the Getting In podcast recently. A good 55 minutes breaking down the major points of his book and predictions for the college application process post-pandemic.
https://open.spotify.com/episode/5rRtqNIfTKVrac4bRyaKYt?si=SYY6lqZnSOua5ffgpxl8WQ&utm_source=copy-link

KrisM
05-16-2021, 07:20 PM
Jeffrey Selingo was on the Getting In podcast recently. A good 55 minutes breaking down the major points of his book and predictions for the college application process post-pandemic.
https://open.spotify.com/episode/5rRtqNIfTKVrac4bRyaKYt?si=SYY6lqZnSOua5ffgpxl8WQ&utm_source=copy-link
Sent from my SM-A515U1 using TapatalkThank you!

Trying to learn as much as I can because I've been told our counselors do nothing at all to help.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

wendibird22
05-16-2021, 07:36 PM
Selingo cohosts a podcast called FutureU that’s “inside baseball” for Higher Ed professionals but he talks about his book in one podcast and there are other episodes that might be of interest to this board. I listen since it’s my profession. Episodes are only ~20mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essnce629
05-16-2021, 08:48 PM
Selingo cohosts a podcast called FutureU that’s “inside baseball” for Higher Ed professionals but he talks about his book in one podcast and there are other episodes that might be of interest to this board. I listen since it’s my profession. Episodes are only ~20mins.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYes, I love Future U and listen to it regularly!

Other college admissions podcasts I listen to (I just love the topic and find it fascinating!)
* Inside College Admissions
* Getting In: A College Coach Conversation
* College Admissions Insider
* College Admission Brief

KrisM
05-16-2021, 08:55 PM
Yes, I love Future U and listen to it regularly!

Other college admissions podcasts I listen to (I just love the topic and find it fascinating!)
* Inside College Admissions
* Getting In: A College Coach Conversation
* College Admissions Insider
* College Admission Brief

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using TapatalkThanks for these!

I listened to some from these:
The College Essay Guy
The Crush

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

klwa
05-17-2021, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the tip! I was able to get it for free using the Prime credits I had stored up!

almostmom
05-19-2021, 09:51 AM
Anybody else with a late high schooler who finds this all stressful? We hired a college coach, and I assume she knows all this (she's been pretty great so far), but just knowing all this is out there and I don't know it stresses me out! My kid is finishing Junior year with great grades and test scores (thought they aren't perfect), so the colleges he is looking at are hard to get into, for anyone. And with so little opportunity to visit any (he took a long weekend trip to see about 6 this spring), there are still so many options out there. Stressful!

But that said, I'll look into this book - thank you.

KrisM
05-19-2021, 02:43 PM
Anybody else with a late high schooler who finds this all stressful? We hired a college coach, and I assume she knows all this (she's been pretty great so far), but just knowing all this is out there and I don't know it stresses me out! My kid is finishing Junior year with great grades and test scores (thought they aren't perfect), so the colleges he is looking at are hard to get into, for anyone. And with so little opportunity to visit any (he took a long weekend trip to see about 6 this spring), there are still so many options out there. Stressful!

But that said, I'll look into this book - thank you.

I'm a little stressed, but DS1 is not. It's just so different now. And he has no preferences for anything so far - area of country, weather, size of college, city or rural, etc. We did one visit last month, but nothing else is open near us yet. He was interested in the dorms and that they had full sized beds and many/most kids have their own room as part of a suite. So that might be the biggest thing to go off right now. His grades and test scores are excellent so there are choices for sure.

I probably should have looked into hiring someone to help. We did not. And I hear the school counselors do not offer any help.