PDA

View Full Version : Razor for stubborn armpit hair?

wendibird22
05-21-2021, 09:24 AM
DD1 has been shaving for a while now (she's about to turn 14) and using a Venus razor this whole time. I also use that brand and have since it hit the market a million years ago. DD1 told me yesterday that even with a fresh blade she has under arm stubble that she can't seem to get rid of. She said she's using shave lotion (we use EOS brand). She's asking to try a different brand razor. Any suggestions? Should I try Billie?

mom2binsd
05-21-2021, 09:51 AM
Love Billie!!! DD also uses it, she only uses a cheap shaving cream. I like the shape of the Billie handle too. A lot of my friends have switched as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

billysmommy
05-21-2021, 10:33 AM
I love Billie! I switched about 6 months ago and love it. Their shave cream/gel is really good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carolinacool
05-21-2021, 10:48 AM
I keep hearing so much about Billie. I'm intrigued!!

As for the Venus, is she using the Deluxe Smooth version? That's the premium version with five blades. There's a smooth version that has fewer blades, I think.

erosenst
05-21-2021, 11:25 AM
I keep hearing so much about Billie. I'm intrigued!!

As for the Venus, is she using the Deluxe Smooth version? That's the premium version with five blades. There's a smooth version that has fewer blades, I think.

DD (who we call Wolfie at times [emoji4]) uses the five blade Venus and can get a smooth shave. It still grows back quickly which is largely genetics, but the three blade just doesn’t work well enough for her.

lizzywednesday
05-21-2021, 11:35 AM
Agree with the rec to get a 5-blade razor - I use a 5-blade on my legs, too.

AnnieW625
05-21-2021, 12:54 PM
Try a different brand of shave cream as well. I tried the EOS brand and hated it. I felt like it was clogging up my razor and not helping me shave anything. I like the Trader Joe’s shave cream (which I am pretty sure is made by Alba....I actually like it better than Alba....it is slightly less thick) best and use a Venus razor. I can use either 5 blade or 3 blade, but prefer the 5 blade.

Dd1 used the Flamingo razor for a while which looks identical to the Billie razor and she went back to the Venus. I had also used Target’s razors (which were also styled just like the Billie) for a while a few years ago but the heads kept popping off mid shave so I went back to Venus.

Also how often is she shaving?! I literally had to shave my armpits every other day or every third day max until I was about 35 because my hair grew so fast. Now I can go about once a week but just doing it on a regular basis helped me from getting frustrated with rapidly growing arm pit hair.

Snow mom
05-21-2021, 01:22 PM
This goes against everything else posted but I find it easier to shave my armpits with a simpler razor. I use the Gillette sensor on my legs but prefer the cheapo 2 blade Gillette razor for my pits.

carolinamama
05-21-2021, 01:29 PM
Is it stubborn hair right after shaving or do you think it's creating stubble as it grows 12-24 hours later? I know a few moms who wax their DD's underarm hair because it's dark and is so visible as it grows out.

wendibird22
05-21-2021, 02:06 PM
She says it stays stubbly after shaving. It is a 5 blade Venus and she says she rinses it often as she shaves and replaces the head often. I think some of it is also shadow of dark hair follicles. She said she doesn’t have the same problem with leg hair, which is a lot lighter and finer.

basil
05-21-2021, 03:04 PM
Slightly off topic and maybe not what you want for your 14 year old, but I’ve been having great luck with a at-home IPL laser. I have dark hair and white skin so I’m a good candidate. I’m not sure how long it will last, but I haven’t shaved my armpits in 2 weeks and I have no hair or shadow. And I’m one who used to have evening stubble after shaving in the morning!

fauve01
05-21-2021, 03:37 PM
also a little off topic, but OP is it possible that the stubborn hairs are actually ingrown? maybe they need tweezing.

I used to prefer a simple 2-blade razor for my armpits and now i use an epilator. (Used to wax but now Epilate my legs too).

carolinacool
05-21-2021, 04:00 PM
She might consider exfoliating before shaving. Exfoliation will get rid of dead skin cells, deo buildup, etc., allowing the razor to get a little closer to her skin. I started exfoliating my underarms years ago, and I think it helps. I use this cheap Target-brand scrub (https://www.target.com/p/apricot-scrub-6oz-up-38-up-8482/-/A-11578095?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000014814225&CPNG=PLA_Beauty%2BPersonal+Care%2BShopping_Brand%7 CBeauty_Ecomm_Beauty&adgroup=SC_Health%2BBeauty&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=c&location=9009654&targetid=pla-894573305699&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&gclid=CjwKCAjwtJ2FBhAuEiwAIKu19vqNYkmNeGc5aChboDZ_ eqALR6FmubFZJu5SSmMKleToBsr77tXJDBoCX8YQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds). I use the scrub, then wash with body wash/soap, then shave.

AnnieW625
05-21-2021, 04:47 PM
She might consider exfoliating before shaving. Exfoliation will get rid of dead skin cells, deo buildup, etc., allowing the razor to get a little closer to her skin. I started exfoliating my underarms years ago, and I think it helps. I use this cheap Target-brand scrub (https://www.target.com/p/apricot-scrub-6oz-up-38-up-8482/-/A-11578095?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000014814225&CPNG=PLA_Beauty%2BPersonal+Care%2BShopping_Brand%7 CBeauty_Ecomm_Beauty&adgroup=SC_Health%2BBeauty&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=c&location=9009654&targetid=pla-894573305699&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&gclid=CjwKCAjwtJ2FBhAuEiwAIKu19vqNYkmNeGc5aChboDZ_ eqALR6FmubFZJu5SSmMKleToBsr77tXJDBoCX8YQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds). I use the scrub, then wash with body wash/soap, then shave.

Yep to this 100%. It also helps a ton with preventing ingrown hairs. I like Bliss’ lemon scrub (https://smile.amazon.com/Bliss-Coconut-Smoothing-Balancing-Skincare/dp/B079QQR8F1/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=bliss+lemon+and+sage&qid=1621629940&sprefix=bliss+lemon&sr=8-6); I get it from Amazon usually (Ulta sometimes has it). I don’t like fake smelling sugar scrubs and this one smells great and isn’t overly expensive (most non fake smelling sugar scrubs are $$$$$).

On a side note I tried epilating once and I hated it.....to painful. I waxed recently and it wasn’t worth it for me. It grew back at the same rate as it did when I was shaving. I was expecting at least 2-3 weeks with almost zero growth like I get with bikini waxing and nope it didn’t matter. Growth in a week....back to shaving.

JElaineB
05-21-2021, 09:07 PM
This goes against everything else posted but I find it easier to shave my armpits with a simpler razor. I use the Gillette sensor on my legs but prefer the cheapo 2 blade Gillette razor for my pits.

I agree with this! I use a Venus on my legs but prefer a 2-blade Daisy disposable on my arm pits.

pharmjenn
05-22-2021, 02:16 AM
When she shaves, is she going in a couple/few different different directions? The hairs can be growing at different angles, and shaving up/down then side to side may help as well.

briarrose
05-22-2021, 05:46 AM
Slightly off topic and maybe not what you want for your 14 year old, but I’ve been having great luck with a at-home IPL laser. I have dark hair and white skin so I’m a good candidate. I’m not sure how long it will last, but I haven’t shaved my armpits in 2 weeks and I have no hair or shadow. And I’m one who used to have evening stubble after shaving in the morning!

Sorry to hijack, but which one do you use? Been thinking of this for me

Barb

wendibird22
05-22-2021, 06:58 AM
When she shaves, is she going in a couple/few different different directions? The hairs can be growing at different angles, and shaving up/down then side to side may help as well.

I asked and she says she does (I know I have to go up and down for a clean shave).

Hopefully all my asking questions about technique and rinsing blades and changing blades, etc corrected anything she won’t admit she hasn’t been doing. I’ll also get her an exfoliator and try a new razor.

klwa
05-24-2021, 06:43 AM
This is honestly what I have heard from other sources. The multi blade razors make it harder to get a really close shave because of the way they compress the skin. Basically, the same thing that makes it safer to use makes it not get as close of a shave.

wendibird22
05-24-2021, 10:31 AM
This is honestly what I have heard from other sources. The multi blade razors make it harder to get a really close shave because of the way they compress the skin. Basically, the same thing that makes it safer to use makes it not get as close of a shave.

Interesting. I'll keep that in mind!