PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Tweens, periods, swimming...

twowhat?
05-25-2021, 09:43 AM
One of my tweens just got her period. She's not quite 13. She's SUPER annoyed about it, especially coming up into summer when there will likely be more playdates and swimming.

What do I do about swimming?? I don't know what the options are out there in terms of tampons or cups or things that a tween could learn to use. She also has some mobility issues with her forearms, so can't twist her wrists certain ways, which might complicate things...so she really will need "easy to use".

Also want to get her some period underwear for extra security at school and overnight...is Thinx still the way to go or are there other brands for tweens out there now?

YIKES I WAS NOT READY.

eta: period undies for tweens that actually have full back protection? I'm only seeing undies that have protection where a regular pad would cover...but when I was a teen I had the most problems with back leaks especially while sleeping. Absorbency doesn't need to go all the way up the back but it would be nice to have something that was liquid resistant all the way up the back.

etaa: recommendations for pad brands that are soft/not plasticky without all the yucky chemicals?

Kindra178
05-25-2021, 09:55 AM
I like Knix; the styles really look like normal underwear.

There are period bathing suits too.

georgiegirl
05-25-2021, 09:55 AM
Tampons all the way. DD started with the pearl light ones. She’s a competitive swimmer so tampons were used on day 1. Less than 24 hours after she got her period, she had to swim the 1000 free at a swim meet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gatorsmom
05-25-2021, 10:18 AM
I’ll be following this blog. When I first got my period, I couldn’t use tampons. They hurt like he11 going in and never felt comfortable no matter which kind I tried. Pads were the only other solution so I just avoided going in the water when I had my period.

What other solutions are there now? There weren’t the plastic applicators that exist now. Back in my day, the stone ages, there were just those horrible cardboard applicators.

OP, I had stocked a few different sizes of pads under my daughters’ sink and told her what they were and that when the time came, I’d show her how to use them. She apparently figured it out on her own because she told me 4 months ago, “oh, by the way, mom I got my period last week.” But I had forgotten about periods and pools so now at least I can talk to her about that. She is so independent!!

mmsmom
05-25-2021, 10:50 AM
Went through this last summer. DD had first period kit from Lola which had a variety of sizes of pads and tampons. Before a trip to pool I sort of demonstrated fully clothed the way I insert a tampon. The Lola kit also had instructions. Then I just left her alone. She said she figured it out but did not spend much time in the pool that day. Now, a year later she just asked for more tampons because she is doing swim team so hopefully it’s more comfortable for her now.

I think for tweens the only options are tampons, period swimsuits (There are a few brands) or using nothing (depending on flow). I did read while looking into options for DD that because of the pressure the water provides, there often is not a flow while in a pool.

For me as a tween managing my period became a whole lot easier when I started using tampons so I wanted to encourage DD to use them.

ETA: DD uses Thinx at night. We had a lot of leaks and stains before & Thinx has resolved that.

SnuggleBuggles
05-25-2021, 10:50 AM
Tampons. And Thinx sells an exclusive, much cheaper, line online at Target so start there.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

wendibird22
05-25-2021, 11:12 AM
DD1 got her period when she was twelve and within a month or two was using tampons. I bought a few smaller boxes of different brands so she could decide what she liked best. I took one out of the package and showed her how the applicator works, talk through where to put it and how (angles and such), how to remove, how often to remove, how to dispose (not in the toilet!). She took it from there and never had a problem and never asked me any questions. I have offered to buy her a cup, but she doesn't want to deal with.

lizzywednesday
05-25-2021, 12:02 PM
Plastic applicator tampons in "slender" fits until she gets the hang of things are probably best for learning - the plastic glides better than cardboard, so it's easier to insert in the correct position.

Although your note about her wrist/forearm concerns, OP, does give me pause because it can be a little tricky to push the "plunger" bit, I hate recommending something like o.b. to a new-to-periods tween - the idea of using applicator-free tampons horrified me until I hit college and I appreciated the easier portability/hide-ability of applicator-free vs applicator tampons. (But, if she can't manage the applicator ones, I'd go with o.b. regulars.)

She may find putting her foot up on the toilet seat is easier to insert a tampon at first vs sitting on the seat with knees spread; I know I did. Yes, it gets awkward in public restrooms, but for easier, more confident placement, I think it's the best method.

Both Tampax and Playtex make plastic applicator tampons in a variety of absorbencies and widths.

SnuggleBuggles
05-25-2021, 12:15 PM
Plastic applicator tampons in "slender" fits until she gets the hang of things are probably best for learning - the plastic glides better than cardboard, so it's easier to insert in the correct position.

Although your note about her wrist/forearm concerns, OP, does give me pause because it can be a little tricky to push the "plunger" bit, I hate recommending something like o.b. to a new-to-periods tween - the idea of using applicator-free tampons horrified me until I hit college and I appreciated the easier portability/hide-ability of applicator-free vs applicator tampons. (But, if she can't manage the applicator ones, I'd go with o.b. regulars.)

She may find putting her foot up on the toilet seat is easier to insert a tampon at first vs sitting on the seat with knees spread; I know I did. Yes, it gets awkward in public restrooms, but for easier, more confident placement, I think it's the best method.

Both Tampax and Playtex make plastic applicator tampons in a variety of absorbencies and widths.

They have "pocket" sized ones with applicators now. They expand to be normal size applicators.

AnnieW625
05-25-2021, 12:53 PM
They have "pocket" sized ones with applicators now. They expand to be normal size applicators.

Those are so dang annoying; I know they say they are full size but the ones I have used never feel full size. I feel like I can’t get the whole thing in, and then getting the applicator out....it feels like it is getting stuck. I don’t think I would give that to a tween; but then women our age used plenty of applicator free tampons (although I didn’t care for those either) so a mini applicator is probably a non issue.

For the OP....my DD1 tried a tampon when she first got her period because she had dance class (and she didn’t wear underwear) and all I had were regular size ones and she hated them. I haven’t seen light tampons in my area in years but the smaller the better. DD1 is 15 and still doesn’t swim when she is on her period. She isn’t on a team though and just swims in our backyard pool. It doesn’t bother her. She did think about period swimwear but she wasn’t sure it would really work.

Period panty wise she has Ruby Love brand panties and she doesn’t complain about them but still wears a regular pad with them, and she hasn’t complained about them leaking. I tried them for myself as well and I didn’t care for the fit (I wear thong underwear and tampons, and thin overnight Stayfree pads and panties at night and the period panties didn’t cover enough in the front to be worn alone and were too bulky with an overnight pad).

ETA: OB no longer makes their original applicator tampons as they discontinued them well over 10+ years ago. I tried some of their organic ones about a year ago and I didn’t like them nearly as much as the originals. I found that they pinched and they didn’t do enough for a true super tampon for me. Not worth switching for me. I like Tampax Radiant (I soaked through a Pearl super in an hour), Playtex Gentle Glide/Sport and Kotex U regular applicator. Tampax Radiant does make a lighter tampon; Kotex, and Playtex don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klwa
05-25-2021, 01:56 PM
Caveat that they haven't been used for their intended purpose yet since DD1 hasn't started her period yet, but they're things we got in preparation.

KT by Knix has several period swimsuits We got DD1 this one (https://www.knixteen.com/products/back-stroke-one-piece). She says it's comfortable.

I also got her the sleepover short (https://www.knixteen.com/products/sleepover-short). I think I attached a picture of the "protection area" for that one. It's definitely heavier protected towards the back than the front. (I've always had the opposite problem than you were describing & leaked out the front since I'm a stomach/side sleeper, so the fact that there's so much more protection to the rear concerns me.)

lizzywednesday
05-25-2021, 02:11 PM

Yes, and those are fantastic, but I find them a bit trickier to depress the plunger and I'm 43!

mom2binsd
05-25-2021, 02:13 PM
DD used a tampon at age 11 with her first period, she's a swimmer. Get the plastic applicator, lowest absorbancy will be the slimmest. Use one to practice pushing it out, there are good you tube videos demonstrating. You will be able to see if her hands are able to do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

twowhat?
05-27-2021, 11:53 AM
I got a small pack of the slimmest tampons I could find at the grocery for her to try. DD has been using cloth pads at home, which are soft and feel great, but disposable pads will still always absorb better/feel drier. I also got her a Thinx BTWN starter set.

Does anyone have recommendations for all-natural disposable pads? I developed a sensitivity to the mainstream brands (Always, Kotex, etc), so want to avoid that with DDs. Would love to know what is soft, not plastic-y (looking at you, Always! Yuck!), and without all the yucky chemicals/fragrances!

lizzywednesday
05-27-2021, 11:56 AM
I got a small pack of the slimmest tampons I could find at the grocery for her to try. Does anyone have recommendations for all-natural pads? I developed a sensitivity to the mainstream brands (always, kotex, etc), so want to avoid that with DDs. Would love to know what is soft, not plastic-y, and without all the yucky chemicals/fragrances!

I wish I knew! I find that the "natural" pads I've tried to feel like sitting in a wet bathing suit, so I've stuck to Always but I hear you on the sensitivity. (It's basically my infanthood 'sposie diaper rash redux!)

jenmcadams
05-27-2021, 12:13 PM
My daughter is involved with period poverty (started a non-profit called RedEquity that focuses on distributing period products to people/students who can't afford them) and I just learned about a company called Top, The Organic Project, that has 100% organic period products. I've never used them but people speak highly of them. If anyone is interested in the period poverty cause, check out RedEquity (https://www.instagram.com/redequity/)

SnuggleBuggles
05-27-2021, 12:15 PM
Whole Foods has tons of natural pads and tampons. Target carries some too.

jgenie
05-27-2021, 02:08 PM
My daughter is involved with period poverty (started a non-profit called RedEquity that focuses on distributing period products to people/students who can't afford them) and I just learned about a company called Top, The Organic Project, that has 100% organic period products. I've never used them but people speak highly of them. If anyone is interested in the period poverty cause, check out RedEquity (https://www.instagram.com/redequity/)

This is awesome!! You must be so proud!! Thanks for sharing!

twowhat?
05-27-2021, 02:59 PM
Caveat that they haven't been used for their intended purpose yet since DD1 hasn't started her period yet, but they're things we got in preparation.

KT by Knix has several period swimsuits We got DD1 this one (https://www.knixteen.com/products/back-stroke-one-piece). She says it's comfortable.

I also got her the sleepover short (https://www.knixteen.com/products/sleepover-short). I think I attached a picture of the "protection area" for that one. It's definitely heavier protected towards the back than the front. (I've always had the opposite problem than you were describing & leaked out the front since I'm a stomach/side sleeper, so the fact that there's so much more protection to the rear concerns me.)

Thank you for this photo! It's very helpful...I could see having one pair being very useful, esp for back sleepers.

That is really awesome - and thanks for the Top recommendation...I looked it up and they sell it at Sprouts, which we have nearby so I will definitely buy a pack to try!!

mom2binsd
05-27-2021, 07:02 PM
One of my tweens just got her period. She's not quite 13. She's SUPER annoyed about it, especially coming up into summer when there will likely be more playdates and swimming.

What do I do about swimming?? I don't know what the options are out there in terms of tampons or cups or things that a tween could learn to use. She also has some mobility issues with her forearms, so can't twist her wrists certain ways, which might complicate things...so she really will need "easy to use".

Also want to get her some period underwear for extra security at school and overnight...is Thinx still the way to go or are there other brands for tweens out there now?

YIKES I WAS NOT READY.

eta: period undies for tweens that actually have full back protection? I'm only seeing undies that have protection where a regular pad would cover...but when I was a teen I had the most problems with back leaks especially while sleeping. Absorbency doesn't need to go all the way up the back but it would be nice to have something that was liquid resistant all the way up the back.

etaa: recommendations for pad brands that are soft/not plasticky without all the yucky chemicals?So cute, I noticed you keep calling her a tween, sorry mom, she's a full blown teen now [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
05-27-2021, 07:43 PM
Been using Stayfree ultra thins for years. No plasticky feeling at all. Dd1 uses them as well.

mikala
05-31-2021, 11:27 AM
Re: pad recommendations, I like Cora brand. They're available at Target. Whatever you do stay far away from Always. I've found the top layer really irritating and in conversations with friends realized others have the same complaint.

I'd also get her a black swimsuit bottom to use when her period comes just in case...

The Clue app might also interest her. It helps track cycle length and frequency and over time gets pretty good at predicting when your period will start so you can be prepared.

calebsmama03
06-04-2021, 11:29 AM
I don't have pad recommendations - I use a cup and cloth pads and DD doesn't love anything she's tried yet (Kotex i current fave, less plasticy she says). I will say it is SUPER HARD to find period undies that have protection all the way up the back. It seems most of the big brands just cover the area of a regular pad and at $25-30 a piece it would cost about $300 to have a reasonable supply on hand! :( DD has some by Rael (they also make disposable products) that are OK but they are less coverage than she prefers overall (bikini style) and they shrink tremendously so be sure to take that into account when buying. DD can't use them on their own because she inherited my ridiculously heavy periods but they are vital backup for overnight leaks with an overnight ultra pad. I have also found a few random brands on Amazon that show full coverage up the back and I was going to try those for her also.

https://www.getrael.com/products/period-panties

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Bambody/page/922142DF-5C38-483B-9A82-EEDF1F6DF668?ref_=ast_bln

essnce629
06-05-2021, 04:55 AM
The Thinx Hiphugger and Super Hiphugger both have protection all the way up the back. So do the Dear Kate "full" hipsters and briefs (I have the Ada Hipster Full).

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

twowhat?
06-07-2021, 05:31 PM
The Thinx Hiphugger and Super Hiphugger both have protection all the way up the back. So do the Dear Kate "full" hipsters and briefs (I have the Ada Hipster Full).

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

THANK YOU for this! DD2 might be able to wear the smallest size in Thinx...so this would be great. I did order a Thinks BTWN starter set and they look to be quite nice quality but DD hasn't tried them yet.

gymnbomb
06-07-2021, 05:56 PM
THANK YOU for this! DD2 might be able to wear the smallest size in Thinx...so this would be great. I did order a Thinks BTWN starter set and they look to be quite nice quality but DD hasn't tried them yet.

In case it helps with sizing, I usually wear a size 2 or 4, and can wear a lot of things in kids size 16. I wear size small Thinx and can also wear size 15-16 in BTWN, though I prefer the design of the regular Thinx. They're also really great at free returns for any reason if you want to give a different kind or size a try! And they shrink a little if you put them in the dryer, so if they're borderline in terms of fitting that may fix it.

twowhat?
06-08-2021, 08:51 AM
In case it helps with sizing, I usually wear a size 2 or 4, and can wear a lot of things in kids size 16. I wear size small Thinx and can also wear size 15-16 in BTWN, though I prefer the design of the regular Thinx. They're also really great at free returns for any reason if you want to give a different kind or size a try! And they shrink a little if you put them in the dryer, so if they're borderline in terms of fitting that may fix it.

Thank you! Do you know your hip measurement? DD2 and I both have larger hips and tiny waists, and I'm thinking of getting myself a pair too. :) I have one pair of sport hipsters that I got from a friend in size S and though it seems to be the right size and the functionality is great, the fit is AWFUL - soooo cheeky and the back is constantly wedging its way into my butt crack!! A lot of the Thinx styles look too cheeky and that usually doesn't go well with larger hips.

gymnbomb
06-08-2021, 09:34 AM
Thank you! Do you know your hip measurement? DD2 and I both have larger hips and tiny waists, and I'm thinking of getting myself a pair too. :) I have one pair of sport hipsters that I got from a friend in size S and though it seems to be the right size and the functionality is great, the fit is AWFUL - soooo cheeky and the back is constantly wedging its way into my butt crack!! A lot of the Thinx styles look too cheeky and that usually doesn't go well with larger hips.

I don't know my hip measurement, but I also have larger hips and a smaller waist. I do best with "curvy" fit jeans and pants. I've tried several styles and the only one I will wear is the hiphugger style -- it's the only one I feel covers my butt well. I HATE cheeky styles. I have tried and returned the cotton bikini and at least one other style (maybe the sport one?) because they didn't provide enough butt coverage. The regular hiphugger fits pretty well, but the air hiphugger is my favorite both in terms of fit and comfort from the thinner/lighter fabric.

citymama
06-08-2021, 11:24 PM
Following!

Older DD (15) uses tampons, cups (Saalt is her favorite brand) and Thinx. But it was all pads and period undies for light days in her first 8-10 months.

Myira
06-18-2021, 10:37 AM
I reread this timely thread for us, yesterday DD had to miss swim practice since less than an hour before swimming she got her periods. We were planning for her to try tampons and thought we had time since she had her last 2 weeks ago. Anyways, after trying she failed to get them in and was in tears that she failed at it.
I’m at a loss how to help since I’ve never been able to wear a tampon myself.

Also my question is, are cups any better or easier? If so, which one do you recommend? Also DD has watched YouTube videos but of anyone has a link to any video that explains better please share it.

SnuggleBuggles
06-18-2021, 10:42 AM
I reread this timely thread for us, yesterday DD had to miss swim practice since less than an hour before swimming she got her periods. We were planning for her to try tampons and thought we had time since she had her last 2 weeks ago. Anyways, after trying she failed to get them in and was in tears that she failed at it.

Also my question is, are cups any better or easier? If so, which one do you recommend? Also DD has watched YouTube videos but of anyone has a link to any video that explains better please share it.

What kind of tampons did you try? Don’t get cardboard applicator or no applicator time to start. There’s a time and place for plastic and this is a good one. Did she try the lite ones (smallest)? Get some of the Tampa Pearl ones, if you didn’t.
I think a cup is a lot harder to get right.

MSWR0319
06-18-2021, 10:50 AM

TMI but until I had my second kid they couldn't use the regular speculum because it was too big. The Playtex Sport tampons are the only ones I've ever been able to use with no issues, even before kids. Maybe she could try those?

OP - I also recommend Cora pads if you're still looking. I can't use the plasticky kind either without irritation. Always are especially bad. I have no issues with the Cora pads.

gatorsmom
06-18-2021, 10:54 AM
I just wanted to thank the OP and posters on this thread. I’ve been following for dd who got her period fir the first time in January. She missed her swim certification test on Wednesday because she got her period and she says the first day is pretty heavy usually. Fortunately she is still certified fir the next month because she has a canoe trip this weekend. After reading this thread, I ordered some swim bottoms and underwear from the website KT by Knix. They arrived yesterday and look well-made. Thank you for whoever recommended them (cant find the post now with the link). I think she is going to try swimming with this in our pool today so I’ll let you know her thoughts about them.

Eta- we looked for tampons at target the other day and are going to try the Tampax Pearl in the “light” size which is the smallest i could find. If they exist smaller in another brand, please let me know!

Myira
06-18-2021, 10:59 AM
I picked up Tampax pearl multi pack with plastic applicator at the grocery store since I was in a rush and asked her to use the light one. She walked out of the bathroom 10 mins later in tears saying the bathroom looks like a war zone and she failed to get it in. I’m going to confirm she tried the light one since is wanting to try again today. She is really determined to get it working!

Thanks for the playtex sport recommendation, I’ll pick that up for her to try. And based on this thread, we got the Cora pads and DD likes them.

SnuggleBuggles
06-18-2021, 11:14 AM
I picked up Tampax pearl multi pack with plastic applicator at the grocery store since I was in a rush and asked her to use the light one. She walked out of the bathroom 10 mins later in tears saying the bathroom looks like a war zone and she failed to get it in. I’m going to confirm she tried the light one since is wanting to try again today. She is really determined to get it working!

Thanks for the playtex sport recommendation, I’ll pick that up for her to try. And based on this thread, we got the Cora pads and DD likes them.

[emoji20]
I hope it gets better!

mom2binsd
06-18-2021, 05:15 PM

I wore tampons as a teen, the old cardboard Tampax ones- yuck!

I switched to a CUP after folks on the car-seat board and this board showed me the light! So life changing, HOWEVER, I don't recommend them for a teen who is struggling with a tampon.

Here's what DD did when she was 11.

We took a tampon out of the box, examined, it played with the applicator to see how hard/soft you had to push to get it to go in (yes it was thrown out after).

She looked up YOUTUBE videos, they were very helpful.

We went into the bathroom together (if she's shy can you go behind a shower curtain), she put her foot up on the toilet which helped. I talked her through it, (you could just be reassuring if you can't give specific advice), but honestly, the videos are super helpful as is a dry run without trying to insert it.

Good luck!!!

gatorsmom
06-19-2021, 01:12 AM
I wore tampons as a teen, the old cardboard Tampax ones- yuck!

I switched to a CUP after folks on the car-seat board and this board showed me the light! So life changing, HOWEVER, I don't recommend them for a teen who is struggling with a tampon.

Here's what DD did when she was 11.

We took a tampon out of the box, examined, it played with the applicator to see how hard/soft you had to push to get it to go in (yes it was thrown out after).

She looked up YOUTUBE videos, they were very helpful.

We went into the bathroom together (if she's shy can you go behind a shower curtain), she put her foot up on the toilet which helped. I talked her through it, (you could just be reassuring if you can't give specific advice), but honestly, the videos are super helpful as is a dry run without trying to insert it.

Good luck!!!

This is helpful. Dd said she tried the light Tampax pearls we bought the other day and couldn’t get them in. Maybe I’ll suggest the YouTube videos and the other ideas here. I don’t think she’s that dedicated to the idea of tampons though. Maybe as she matures a little she will try again.

gymnbomb
06-19-2021, 01:41 PM
This is helpful. Dd said she tried the light Tampax pearls we bought the other day and couldn’t get them in. Maybe I’ll suggest the YouTube videos and the other ideas here. I don’t think she’s that dedicated to the idea of tampons though. Maybe as she matures a little she will try again.

In addition to videos, I have seen a lot of recommendations for putting a small amount of lubricant on the end of the applicator to make insertion easier.

gatorsmom
06-19-2021, 02:25 PM
In addition to videos, I have seen a lot of recommendations for putting a small amount of lubricant on the end of the applicator to make insertion easier.

Yes, I suggested she put some Vaseline on the end so it didn’t feel so dry and scratchy. She looked at me like I had 2 heads and said maybe she’d try it again. She didn’t tell me much more.

On a positive note, she wore the new Knix swim bottoms for about 7 hours in and out of the pool hanging out with friends and said they did a great job with her period which was light yesterday. I bought her the boyshort swim bottoms. She’s wearing another pair canoeing for 6 hours today.

gymnbomb
06-19-2021, 03:38 PM
Yes, I suggested she put some Vaseline on the end so it didn’t feel so dry and scratchy. She looked at me like I had 2 heads and said maybe she’d try it again. She didn’t tell me much more.

On a positive note, she wore the new Knix swim bottoms for about 7 hours in and out of the pool hanging out with friends and said they did a great job with her period which was light yesterday. I bought her the boyshort swim bottoms. She’s wearing another pair canoeing for 6 hours today.

So glad they're working for her and she's able to enjoy playing in the water this summer!

lizzywednesday
06-19-2021, 04:22 PM
... I have seen a lot of recommendations for putting a small amount of lubricant on the end of the applicator to make insertion easier. ...

It really works! Tampax used to have a starter kit for teens where they included a tiny tube of lube with sample packs of different absorbencies, a booklet about puberty/periods, and coupons for Tampax products. The year my mom chaired the Swim-A-Thon, they donated STACKS of them to my swim team, so I had a collection for emergencies.

twowhat?
06-23-2021, 12:09 PM

Thanks for posting about her personal experience with the Knix swimwear!!! I need to get my DD a pair in case it takes a while for her to work out tampons.

twowhat?
06-28-2021, 11:33 AM
Updating! So DD loves the Thinx BTWN starter pack that I got her. She seems to like the Shortie style best, she says it feels like the protection extends farther up the back in this style (it might just be how this fits - I have to compare all 3 styles once they're out of the wash). She has slept in all 3 styles with no leaks!

AND! Success with tampons! I bought the smallest thinnest ones I could find at Kroger (I believe they were Kotex U regular absorbency). We took out a couple of tampons and I showed her how to use the plunger, etc and then let her try handling one (without inserting) to get the feel of unwrapping, extending the plunger (these were a compact kind with the plunger you have to extend). And then it was time to try. I think trying on a medium+ flow day helps, as the blood makes things more slick up there. We didn't watch any YouTube videos, I just went in the bathroom with her and coached her through it. The trick was figuring out WHERE to insert it. Things that helped (sorry, this is graphic!):

"You must wash hands well before you start"
"You want to insert it where you normally feel blood leaking out"
"It helps if you really relax, don't clench like you're trying to hold in your pee. Relax as if you are letting out your pee"
"The tampon is too big to insert into your urethra (where your pee comes out) so don't worry about that" (she was worried about this)
"You want to insert it in the hole that ISN'T your anus (butthole) so just press it in and if it starts to go in, and it's not your butthole, then you've got it" (this ended up being the most helpful thing!)
"If you accidentally touch your anus with the tampon, you will need to start over with a clean one"
"It helps to sort of spin the tampon around, to get it wet with blood and then it'll slide in easier"
"You want to make sure you get the entire plastic applicator inserted inside you (all the way up to where you're holding it) BEFORE you press the plunger"
"While holding the applicator still (don't let it slide out), press the plunger until you feel a little resistance, and at that point you can press the plunger the rest of the way and let the plastic applicator slide out"
"Tuck the string between your outside folds" (personal preference - I like doing this because it keeps the string close to the body, not dipping into the toilet, and not a wick for dripping pee)

Her first try she didn't get it up far enough and said she could feel it so we removed and tried again with a new one. Second time she got it up far enough so that she couldn't feel it and she was VERY happy with how comfortable it was and how it took away the "leaky" feeling! We then talked about the importance of wrapping up all waste in toilet paper and throwing it in the trash or receptacle. I also coached her through what to do in a public bathroom to keep her hands clean (wash, use paper towel to open/close/lock stall door (or elbow/foot, then TP, if there's no paper towels), put paper towel on top of trash receptacle, place used tampons, wrappers, pads, etc on top of paper towel (or TP if there's not paper towel), insert tampon, and once all done THEN gather up the trash and throw it away). Wash hands well again.

Hope this helps someone!!

Myira
06-28-2021, 12:44 PM
Updating! So DD loves the Thinx BTWN starter pack that I got her. She seems to like the Shortie style best, she says it feels like the protection extends farther up the back in this style (it might just be how this fits - I have to compare all 3 styles once they're out of the wash). She has slept in all 3 styles with no leaks!

AND! Success with tampons! I bought the smallest thinnest ones I could find at Kroger (I believe they were Kotex U regular absorbency). We took out a couple of tampons and I showed her how to use the plunger, etc and then let her try handling one (without inserting) to get the feel of unwrapping, extending the plunger (these were a compact kind with the plunger you have to extend). And then it was time to try. I think trying on a medium+ flow day helps, as the blood makes things more slick up there. We didn't watch any YouTube videos, I just went in the bathroom with her and coached her through it. The trick was figuring out WHERE to insert it. Things that helped (sorry, this is graphic!):

"It helps if you really relax, don't clench like you're trying to hold in your pee. Relax as if you are letting out your pee"
"The tampon is too big to insert into your urethra (where your pee comes out) so don't worry about that" (she was worried about this)
"You want to insert it in the hole that ISN'T your anus (butthole) so just press it in and if it starts to go in, and it's not your butthole, then you've got it" (this ended up being the most helpful thing!)
"If you accidentally touch your anus with the tampon, you will need to start over with a clean one"
"It helps to sort of spin the tampon around, to get it wet with blood and then it'll slide in easier"
"You want to make sure you get the entire plastic applicator inserted inside you (all the way up to where you're holding it) BEFORE you press the plunger"
"While holding the applicator still (don't let it slide out), press the plunger until you feel a little resistance, and at that point you can press the plunger the rest of the way and let the plastic applicator slide out"
"Tuck the string between your outside folds" (personal preference - I like doing this because it keeps the string close to the body, not dipping into the toilet, and not a wick for dripping pee)

Her first try she didn't get it up far enough and said she could feel it so we removed and tried again with a new one. Second time she got it up far enough so that she couldn't feel it and she was VERY happy with how comfortable it was and how it took away the "leaky" feeling! We then talked about the importance of wrapping up all waste in toilet paper and throwing it in the trash or receptacle. I also coached her through what to do in a public bathroom to keep her hands clean (wash, use paper towel to open/close/lock stall door (or elbow/foot, then TP, if there's no paper towels), put paper towel on top of trash receptacle, place used tampons, wrappers, pads, etc on top of paper towel (or TP if there's not paper towel), insert tampon, and once all done THEN gather up the trash and throw it away). Wash hands well again.

Thank you so much for writing it out, you are awesome! I will have DD read your instructions when she tries again.

gatorsmom
06-28-2021, 01:22 PM

This is SO helpful, and you for posting this!

Melaine
06-29-2021, 11:47 AM
Thank you so much for writing it out, you are awesome! I will have DD read your instructions when she tries again.

Yes TwoWhat that was absolutely fabulous! Thank you for writing it out. Need to share with my girls. Hope they are ready to try them soon.

AnnieW625
06-29-2021, 12:08 PM
I found Tampax Pearl light at my Target yesterday. They had the Kotex U ones as well but they didn’t have the full size applicator ones only the small compact ones and imho I find those ones super hard to deal with and I have been using tampons for eons so I went with the full size applicator. Dd1 said she tried a regular one yesterday but she still isn’t 100% comfortable with it yet.