PDA

View Full Version : Would you let your middle schooler read Stephen King? If so, which books?

gatorsmom
05-25-2021, 01:15 PM
My 7th grader has ADHD and loves to read thrilling books. He's been asking for a while to read Stephen King books. I've been hesitant because I"m afraid he won't sleep at night (an issue we already struggle with). I'd be ok with letting him read some but I'd like to stay away from sex and any horror that would really haunt him (like children being taken and eaten). It's been a long time since I read Stephen King so I don't remember much about them other than the IT which I can't forget. Anyone have any suggestions?

smilequeen
05-25-2021, 01:21 PM
My middle schooler (although he’ll be a high schooler after this week) loves that kind of stuff. I would read reviews on them and decide book by book but probably at least some of them. I don’t usually read them so I’m not familiar. They did read The Body for school so that might be a good start.

SnuggleBuggles
05-25-2021, 01:21 PM
I watched SK movies in junior high (and lots of other movies of that ilk). I would be fine with books too but I also don't restrict their reading. Ds1 will occasionally ask me if I think something is ok and we might talk through the possible concerns but leave it to him to decide. If ds2 would voluntarily read, I'd be thrilled. :)

o_mom
05-25-2021, 01:27 PM
My 7th grader has ADHD and loves to read thrilling books. He's been asking for a while to read Stephen King books. I've been hesitant because I"m afraid he won't sleep at night (an issue we already struggle with). I'd be ok with letting him read some but I'd like to stay away from sex and any horror that would really haunt him (like children being taken and eaten). It's been a long time since I read Stephen King so I don't remember much about them other than the IT which I can't forget. Anyone have any suggestions?

Eyes of the Dragon is a non-scary Stephen King book. It does have some mentions of sex, but not graphic. It reads more like a fairy tale.

I only read one other SK novel (Christine) and can't handle him, but this one is much tamer.

PunkyBoo
05-25-2021, 01:53 PM
I read Pet Semetary in 9th or 10th grade and it scared the bejeebees out of me. But I read the whole thing through. I used to like horror stuff like that, but I liked movies better because it wasn't internalized to my psyche like reading the books.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
05-25-2021, 02:42 PM
My brother read It around that time iirc (the CBS TV movie was on in the early 90s), and I believe also read Pet Sematary, and then Misery by maybe 10th grade.

My brother loved Jurassic Park at that age too. Michael Crichton might be a little less scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
05-25-2021, 02:44 PM
My brother loved Jurassic Park at that age too. Michael Crichton might be a little less scary.

I had read Jurassic Park approximately 13 times before the movie came out in June 1993, which led to a Crichton binge, but I really struggled with stuff like The Andromeda Strain.

gatorsmom
05-25-2021, 03:42 PM
My brother read It around that time iirc (the CBS TV movie was on in the early 90s), and I believe also read Pet Sematary, and then Misery by maybe 10th grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, Michael Crichton is a great idea. The more I read about the Stephen King books, the more I think they might be too much for him.

twowhat?
05-25-2021, 04:13 PM
Jurassic Park is the first thing I thought of too!! Great read for that age for a "thriller" that doesn't have the psychotic underpinnings of SK :)

doberbrat
05-25-2021, 06:58 PM
While I heavily monitor computer and TV access, I do not do so with books. I think I was 12 when I read Pet Cemetery, Christine, the Omen etc. Some of it scared the daylights out of me. I think this is a you know your kid best.

vludmilla
05-26-2021, 04:28 PM
I was reading those books in maybe 4th grade! I don't think it harmed me in any way. The stories can be scary but the good guys always prevail.
I would not restrict these books with my own kids and I do tend to be a stricter parent (no social media for my current high schooler until 8th grade).

dogmom
05-26-2021, 10:33 PM
I was reading those books in maybe 4th grade! I don't think it harmed me in any way. The stories can be scary but the good guys always prevail.
I would not restrict these books with my own kids and I do tend to be a stricter parent (no social media for my current high schooler until 8th grade).

Yep. Started with Carrie in 4th grade when it came out. (I’m old). My parents were supportive of any book I wanted. They just told me to talk to them if I was confused about anything. Since it was in elementary school and didn’t understand what school periods were, but did know about menstrual periods, I was confused about the first scene when Carrie gets pelted by tampons and pads in the girls bathroom. There is a mention about a period bell ringing. I was, “they ring a bell so girls can get out of class to deal with their menstrual cycle???” I was at first, that’s cool. Then it was, well, no, that’s not realistic because it have noticed people seem to get bent out of of shape about basic biological functions.

Moral of the story, you never know what is going to be confusing to me your kid. Probably not what you think.

hbridge
05-29-2021, 11:40 AM
My kid is an avid reader! However, I tend to "monitor" what they are reading (or did when they were in MS). The content of books should be monitored the same as movies/video games. That being said, if they asked repeatedly and I was unsure, we would listen to the books in the car together. The first was The Graveyard Book, which is amazing and fairly tame once you get past the triple homocide in the first chapter. However, we often stopped the book to discuss things. In Miss Peregrine (the first one) we paused for almost 30 minutes to discuss whether Milliard (the invisible dude) would be visible under water and the physics behind it.

It is really interesting to delve into your child's world when they experience a book and I have experienced some books that I never would have considered. Definitely consider experience the audio book together if it is something you are unsure of or want to make sure you can discuss.