PDA

View Full Version : How to handle a call from a former colleague's attorney?

JustMe
05-25-2021, 04:30 PM
So, the call I got was from a former colleague atty. My former colleague is bringing a suit against our former employer, which does not surprise me at all I had a terrible experience with this employer. I don't think the details are important, hopefully, A colleague had an even worse experience IMHO b/c I would choose to de-escalate situations and her choices were different. Some of this is very subjective and I would think hard to prove. OTOH, there is one factor that I could back my colleague up on if I chose to that I think would be less subjective, but who knows. My colleague was confiding in me about some of the things that were happening to her, although I can honestly say I dont remember details only how intense and difficult it was.

I feel clueless about how to deal with an atty and very torn about what to do. I do think my colleague was treated very badly, although I did not observe it directly I have no problem believing what she had told me. This is a relatively small town (not really a small town), but tons of interconnections and I have tons of interconnections with my former employer. I know I could call an atty myself, but I am not on trial, so would rather not spend that money (and we won't get into how much my flooring issue is costing if you read my other posts).

Any advice or direction at all or was I too vague?

Kestrel
05-25-2021, 06:27 PM
Kind of vague, but...

You can ask that the attorney send you a list of questions in writting. Then you won't be on the spot, can decide how to phrase things, ect. It's another option for you to think about.

You might get subpoenaed anyway.

mmsmom
05-25-2021, 10:26 PM
Is this for a civil suit? If so I would agree to speak to the attorney and answer questions honestly and if you don’t remember details of something then say that. In these kinds of situations I put myself in the other person’s shoes and in this case I would think she is hopeful you will answer questions in the matter.

I went through a horrible employment situation so I am sympathetic. I did get an attorney but it never got to a point of others being questioned- the employer settled long before that.

JustMe
05-25-2021, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the responses. I like the idea of getting a list of the questions.

I am not sure if it is a civil suit or not, but I just listened to the voice message and I was completely wrong about what the suit is about. It is a professional complaint against my colleague. Ugh. I think this may be retalliation by my former employer (my colleague and I spoke over a year ago and she had mentioned being fearful about that). I am guessing I will just have to speak with the atty and see what they want to ask.

mommy111
05-27-2021, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the responses. I like the idea of getting a list of the questions.

I am not sure if it is a civil suit or not, but I just listened to the voice message and I was completely wrong about what the suit is about. It is a professional complaint against my colleague. Ugh. I think this may be retalliation by my former employer (my colleague and I spoke over a year ago and she had mentioned being fearful about that). I am guessing I will just have to speak with the atty and see what they want to ask.
If it’s a retaliation hearing, I would definitely respond. If you know her work ethic and know that the workplace was messed up, she could really get dinged if someone is not willing to testify on her behalf

bisous
05-27-2021, 11:16 AM
I've been to court against a former coworker. I was only 25 years old. The employer was not great but the employee leaving was actually bold faced lying and she won! It was hard. The attorneys had me testify in court and I didn't feel like I got to get the real story out. There were tons of side questions and objections and even though my story was very solid I left that courtroom not sure that my "truth" got out.

All this to say, I do think it is the right thing to tell the truth for your coworker, but you might need guidance to make sure that your interests are protected. I don't know if this is possible for you but I might confer with an attorney to get guidance. Do any of the lawyers on here think this is overkill? It is hard to know without other details.

Gracemom
05-27-2021, 05:51 PM
If you do not have first hand knowledge of how your coworker was treated I would tell them that. They will move on to someone else who can help their case more. I would not get involved but support your former coworker in other ways. You can choose to testify about your own experience with the former employer if you are up for it, but that’s up to you. Court is not fun. I’ve testified for cases as a social worker and I find it very stressful.