PDA

View Full Version : do ANY dads register kids for camp or fill out endless camp forms

ncat
06-21-2021, 12:04 AM
Does anyone's husband do any of this or is it always a mom job? I know my kids wouldn't go to summer camp if I didn't register them in January and then fill out all the health forms and random releases and trusted contacts etc etc for every single camp in a paperwork marathon the weekend before camps start.

And as an added bonus this year (and just like we had for school and sports programs) I have to fill out a health check form for each DS EVERY SINGLE CAMP DAY! And it will be my job, because apparently Dads can't figure this out.

And now I am waiting on the annual - "I'm thinking about taking the week after next off and going on vacation, can you get off of work?" - NOOOOOO - I asked about vacation in January when I was booking all the @#!! camps. Also, where are you planning to stay in [popular summer location X]?

petesgirl
06-21-2021, 12:26 AM
Total mom job here. Pretty much everything kid related is here. I don't think my kids would survive very long if I wasn't here as DH can't even be bothered to pour them a bowl of cereal if they are up before me and say they are hungry.

ncat
06-21-2021, 12:36 AM
At my daughter's soccer game last weekend I witnessed one of the dads (who is a good guy) be so incapable of filling out the health check form that he called his wife multiple times to ask her to do it rather than figure out how to do it himself.

ett
06-21-2021, 12:51 AM
Yup, total mom job here too! Although DH did recently fill out DS2's online application for youth orchestra auditions.

We also had health attestations forms to fill out for school every day starting in March. I took the kids's temperatures every morning and read out loud every covid symptom to confirm the kids did not have any.

jgenie
06-21-2021, 02:27 AM
I’m a SAHM so all of it falls on me. Daily questionnaire before school - me, forms for activities - me, medical forms for school - me. I handle everything except DH’s job. I finally got tired of having to text DH so I could log into various accounts that I set up everything with my email and phone number. If I need to reset a password for any account, I can request a new password and the code gets texted to me rather than DH.

m4nash
06-21-2021, 07:48 AM
My husband hates to fill out forms, but fills out his fair share of them for our 3 kids. He generally did most of the camp registration for them when they were still young enough for summer day camps after I had done the research on which camps to sign them up for. I generally fill out forms that have to be filled out by hand since DH has awful handwriting.

ETA: When I was a SAHM, I did all of this, because I wanted to and had more time fill out forms, research camps/activities and make appointments. However once I went back to work full time, DH willingly stepped up and does more than I expect of him.

carolinamama
06-21-2021, 10:12 AM
Nope I do it all. I jokingly, but also seriously, asked DH if he knew what our kids' pediatrician looked like. He didn't appreciate it but I actually don't think they've ever met in 15 years. We don't do sick visits with him usually as he now practices at an office further away. He's a keeper though so I'm willing to travel for checkups and concerns.

The best thing was working full time, which required DH to be more responsible since I wasn't even there but now we are back to me doing everything for the kids and the house. Sometimes it's infuriating but we would probably be way less organized with two people handling it.

mmsmom
06-21-2021, 10:40 AM
Mom job here too but I was a SAHM for many years so I considered it part of my job. I am working now and kids are teens but at this point I feel like it’s too late to train DH & easier if I just continue to handle.

I did send DH to DS 14 well visit this year. They still have parents in the room (not sure when that ends) but he has to undress and the check his private area and I just figured DS would be more comfortable with DH there instead of me and I will continue having him go now.

Myira
06-21-2021, 10:54 AM
All research and decisions regarding what camps to enroll for or what classes to signup for is me. DH has almost nothing to do with any of it. Also looking into health concerns, finding doctors, making appointments is all on me. DH does drop them off or take them to appointments though. He also will fill out forms if they are needed so I cannot complain about this specific thing. But I do feel like I have zero input from him regarding any decisions with the kids academics or extra curricular activities! I’m not sure they’d get signed up for anything unless they made him if I was not here!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

DualvansMommy
06-21-2021, 10:55 AM
It’s both our jobs now. That used to be my biggest issue with DH, and especially more so when I went back to work 3 years ago.

I told him he had more flexibility than I did; work from home, more paid sick/time off, so he started taking the kids to their sick and annual physicals. He registered our oldest to his sleep away camp (got cancelled anyway) and does all their sport registration and orders boys uniforms now. I’ll do what I can when it’s urgent and time is of essence, I jump in. Now I tell all new coaches, school etc that DH is the FIRST point of contact. I’m the backup.

Dh is recognizing that because he is pitching in more of the mental load, I’ve more time to do for rest of us that we enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

essnce629
06-21-2021, 03:45 PM
I’m a SAHM so all of it falls on me. Daily questionnaire before school - me, forms for activities - me, medical forms for school - me. I handle everything except DH’s job. I finally got tired of having to text DH so I could log into various accounts that I set up everything with my email and phone number. If I need to reset a password for any account, I can request a new password and the code gets texted to me rather than DH.

Same. We we are having this exact same problem right now. Our Roku was going crazy and kept logging out of YouTube TV, Netflix, etc and DH has the password to all except Hulu and I kept having to text him to please log back in! And he'd never do it because he was working!

DH knows our family doctor because all 4 of us see her, but he has no idea who DS1's allergist or GI doctor is. He's never filled out any paperwork, except for soccer sign-ups. For some reason that's the one thing he's in charge of signing DS2 up for. Any other sport/camp is on me. I also asked him if he knew what meds DS2 was allergic to (amoxicillin and keflex) and he had no idea.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

ett
06-21-2021, 07:05 PM
I also asked him if he knew what meds DS2 was allergic to (amoxicillin and keflex) and he had no idea.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

DS2 is allergic to amoxicillin and DH also did not know this until recently. During dinner one night I was commenting on DS2's medication allergy and DH said "What? He's allergic to amoxicillin?". Umm, yeah, only for at least the past 10 years!

jgenie
06-21-2021, 07:43 PM
DS2 is allergic to amoxicillin and DH also did not know this until recently. During dinner one night I was commenting on DS2's medication allergy and DH said "What? He's allergic to amoxicillin?". Umm, yeah, only for at least the past 10 years!

DS2 has a peanut allergy - can’t eat anything with a peanut warning on the label. He encounters foods he can’t eat everywhere he goes so we only keep foods he can eat in our house. DH never fails to bring items home with a peanut warning. He just doesn’t think to read the labels - 11 years post diagnosis….

gymnbomb
06-22-2021, 06:50 AM
It would not occur to my husband to think about camp until June. He has no idea you have to sign up in January or February to get in! I am sure he also has no idea how much paperwork I fill out for camp, school, sports, daycare, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikala
06-22-2021, 08:11 AM
Nope, I do it all. I have taken to filling them out when sitting next to him on the couch so he at least sees the labor.

belovedgandp
06-22-2021, 12:23 PM
I do it all, but yes, I am a SAHM. Two years ago when we actually had back to school night the high school and middle school were same night, so I did HS. DH was able to complete the forms a couple of MS teachers asked. He appropriately put my contact info down. I did laugh when he sent me a photo of the permission slip he'd signed to watch a certain movie in social studies class.

DH does not get the planning ahead part. Especially for his own vacation time. An ongoing frustration I've had as a SAHM. DH had a ton of time last year. I worked 10+ hour days on my feet for two weeks at an early voting location for the election last October/November. Kept asking him to take a few afternoons off or something to ease the crazy (do some shopping, laundry, clean, help with some homework). He took zero time off. Then he "realizes" he has to use vacation or lose it and takes the two middle weeks of November off with zero plan.

hbridge
06-22-2021, 01:10 PM
OP... You are NOT ALONE!!! DH doesn't even attend schools meetings anymore! He has no idea who any of DC's doctors are or why they see them! Forms never even make it into his line of vision. I have taken to including him in all e-mails regarding DC, but I don't think he even reads them...

AngB
06-22-2021, 06:58 PM
Total mom job here. Pretty much everything kid related is here. I don't think my kids would survive very long if I wasn't here as DH can't even be bothered to pour them a bowl of cereal if they are up before me and say they are hungry.

SAME. He does manage to feed them on days I work and he's home with them but it's really frustrating.

StantonHyde
06-23-2021, 02:17 PM
Ha!!!!! DH filled it DS tennis team form this year—1st one ever. And complained about all the stupid questions. Too bad!!

bisous
06-23-2021, 04:35 PM
Ugh. I'm in this crew too. In my case it would take SIGNIFICANTLY less time for me to fill out the forms than to answer DH's questions AND listen to him complain about the forms at the same time. In my case though, it is part me being "the mom" and another part I'm just better and faster at stuff like this, even when filling them out for myself (or even DH, haha!) so I imagine I'll be doing this for many years in the future!

PunkyBoo
06-23-2021, 07:06 PM
DH does sports stuff (because he used to coach and I'm just not into sports the way he is) but everything else pretty much falls on me. I spent many many hours investigating a special camp for DS2, hours on the phone with them, hours on the phone with our insurance company to see what they'd reimburse, and then filled out all the forms for it. All while working full time and keeping the kids in remote school and alive. I laid out a calendar showing the 5 days per week X 4 weeks against DS1's calendar (since he drives) so we could figure out who will drop off and pick up each day. I have put it in front of DH no less than 3 times asking him to please determine when he can commit to transporting DS2. I've already committed myself to half of the trips, despite the fact that I have very little flexibility in my work schedule and so will most likely have to use quite a bit of PTO to accommodate. I still have no answer from DH on when he will drive. I have to clear my schedule with my boss, and camp starts MONDAY.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

niccig
06-25-2021, 04:08 PM
There is hope - DS is a rising junior. We all got an email to complete a Google form for the school bus. Neither DH or I had done it yet as needed DS’s student ID number. I went to do it and asked DS for his ID# to be told DS filled it out himself and put my contact details.

PZMommy
06-25-2021, 10:19 PM
There is hope - DS is a rising junior. We all got an email to complete a Google form for the school bus. Neither DH or I had done it yet as needed DS’s student ID number. I went to do it and asked DS for his ID# to be told DS filled it out himself and put my contact details.

My DS just finished 6th grade. They had a virtual open house the first week elem returned to campus. I was drowning with the double work load and schedule change. Without my knowledge, my DS took it upon himself to fill out a google form for each of his 6 classes, pretending to be me. He is a straight A student, and the forms asked about things in his portfolio, missing assignments, etc. He was so proud of himself for doing all of it for me, that I didn’t have the heart to tell him that we should have done it together. I did go through and look at his portfolio later that weekend.