PDA

View Full Version : Big shirt

basil
09-09-2021, 07:58 AM
I know this is really whiny and super inconsequential in the long run.

My DD is a petite 7 year old and is about 40 lbs.

For soccer this fall, they gave her a size L (14-16) shirt. I am a normal sized grown woman and I could comfortably wear it. It literally goes to her knees and the sleeves go to her wrists.

We asked to change it out for a smaller size and they said that "for simplicity" they had bought all 2nd grade girls soccer players size large, all the 1st graders size medium, and all the K players size small. I image it's a rare 7 yo who could wear that size!

Taking suggestions on how to cut it off or tie it up or something so that she can actually run in it?

SnuggleBuggles
09-09-2021, 08:02 AM
She’ll want to tuck it in to play. It might not be as bad then. Btdt with our soccer team too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

mmsmom
09-09-2021, 08:09 AM
If you can sew you could cut off the bottom then hem it. Most kids use a hair elastic to knot it on the side.

basil
09-09-2021, 09:10 AM
I don't think she can tuck it in, it's just way too much fabric! :) What in the world were they thinking??

m4nash
09-09-2021, 09:42 AM
I feel for your daughter. My DD is a tiny 6th grader. She still wears a girls 8, sometimes a 10 if it runs small. She is playing for her middle school volleyball team this year and they passed out uniforms yesterday. The smallest size they had was an Adult S. There is no way the shorts are going to stay on her and the jersey is giant. Of course she is adamant that she must wear the entire uniform.

bisous
09-09-2021, 11:37 AM
THAT is a big shirt. DS2 wore that size last year in 8th grade! My 7yo is tall for her age and wears a size 7-8 and can get away with a 9-10. 14-16 would be indecent!

belovedgandp
09-09-2021, 12:14 PM
Wow that is crazy. No one ordering the shirts has been around 2nd graders much. Yes, there might be a couple needing a shirt that size, but a good hunk of the team is going to be wearing a nightdress.

newnana
09-09-2021, 02:59 PM
That stinks, it would be really difficult to play in.
Do you sew at all? Here's an easy (ish) resizing a t-shirt how to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBkXEzjctMc&ab_channel=CatherineSews

nfceagles
09-09-2021, 05:37 PM
I’m no seamstress but I would try to hem it and take it in on the sides to make it a little narrower. Another ideas though… if it’s a standard color that you can get anywhere (like Gileads from Michaels), maybe buy a new one in the right size. Then cut out the logo and number and a fix to smaller shirt with iron on facing or a zig zag stitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KpbS
09-09-2021, 11:40 PM
Ridiculous! My DD could wear it as a giant 5th grader. She could pass for a 7th grader in size. She's 5'4 1/2. But even as a 2nd grader at the 99% in height, she would have been swimming in it.

Is it polyester or could you somehow shrink it in the dryer? If not, I think sewing it or tying it up with a hair tie.

PZMommy
09-09-2021, 11:50 PM
My 7th grader wears that size!!!! What were they thinking?

niccig
09-09-2021, 11:53 PM
We always had that problem with soccer uniforms. I cut off the bottom and hemmed the jersey for several years. The shorts had a drawstring and were pulled all the way in and looked like skirts. The socks were huge with the heel way up his shin. I cut the feet off the sock and had DS wear a soccer sock that fit and then put the uniform sock on over his shin guards. Everyone seems to have this problem with soccer uniforms

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

carolinamama
09-10-2021, 09:31 AM
Years ago I ended up having a DS's huge soccer jersey tailored to his actual size because it was just too much fabric but they use the same jerseys for at least a full year. Now we are dealing with all the crazy backorders and both of my boys are waiting on jerseys we ordered back in July. I gave up scrambling to find loaners and go through lots of tape. Soccer uniforms seem to be a pain no matter what!

You could try a hairband on the bottom or maybe hem the bottom to get rid of some excess.

carolinacool
09-12-2021, 12:06 PM
That’s ridiculous. That size is still a little too big for my 5-foot-tall 86-pound sixth-grader.

Honestly, I would just take it to a seamstress or maybe even a dry cleaner who does alterations. It might cost you 20 bucks but it will be done.

I would also talk to the organization. The person ordering the shirts very well could be some 25-year-old guy who has no idea what he’s doing. If shirts have to be ordered every season, there’s no reason they can’t be ordered in a variety of sizes. Our Y seems to be able to do this without a lot of drama. I mean, what are they ordering for kids who are older than your daughter? Adult size?

I can understand school issued uniforms being a little wonky because those have to be used over a few years.