PDA

View Full Version : Random Task Accomplishment and Support Thread - 2021-22 School Year

lizzywednesday
10-04-2021, 05:27 PM
With schools back in session and offices developing some kind of return-to-in-person plan in many areas, it might be that time again to post about random household tasks you've accomplished and/or need support to feel great that you've done.

My current outdoor accomplishments are weeding the flower beds, laying down 12 bags of mulch, and planting spring-blooming bulbs.

My indoor accomplishment is cleaning most of the master bathroom, which I haven't done in I don't know how long because we're planning a bathroom reno for the "guest" bath that DD and I use. There is a mold problem as a result of a rotted subfloor problem, so we're going to rip everything out, ameliorate the mold, and install new stuff, which basically means the 3 of us will be using one shower for a month or three.

marinkitty
10-06-2021, 11:11 AM
I've been telling myself since school started that I am going to get the house whipped into shape and so far I'm proceeding at a snail's pace. I have managed to do a deep clean and declutter on DD's room (she's a college freshman so I had her do her version of it before she left and then after she was gone I came in and did my version of it - LOL) and last week I went through my boys' closets and bagged up seven bags of donations and moved hand me downs from DS1 to DS2's room. I need to get back into their rooms and do a non-clothing declutter and clean next. And then my bathroom drawers and cabinets are next. I really want to have the whole house decluttered and up to snuff by Thanksgiving. Time is ticking!

gymnbomb
10-06-2021, 02:07 PM
I got rid of 4 bins plus 3 suitcases worth of stuff last week at a semi-annual kids consignment sale. I just wanted it out of the house so I priced it really low and donated everything that didn't get sold (they donate to a local group that gives stuff to foster kids). I got a few hundred dollars from it, but getting rid of it and knowing it isn't just in a landfill somewhere was more important.

jgenie
10-06-2021, 02:32 PM
Thanks Lizzy! - I'm going to list my goals and mark off as I get them done.

basement storage
garage
shed
bike tune ups
hall closet
basement kitchen
basement storage
upstairs landing

lizzywednesday
10-07-2021, 08:29 AM
Y'all are doing better than you think and I'm proud of you for your accomplishments. This thread isn't about speed; it's about feeling like you did something.

I find it's helpful, especially when I am back on my bullsh!t or when I'm overwhelmed by feelings of inadequacy (like I am right now), to write down what I've completed. Looking back on the list reminds me that I've actually put a lot of work into whatever project I'm doing, and I can point to that whenever I'm feeling like "nothing" got done.

jgenie
10-07-2021, 09:32 PM
Our local synagogues are collecting clothing for Afghan refugees. I hit our closets with a vengeance last night. Anything I hadn’t washed in recent memory from my kids closet got pulled. I asked them to look through the piles I pulled and ask themselves if the clothes would be better hung in their closets waiting to be worn or donated to kids starting over. I then headed to my closet and pulled out all the clothes I had been keeping in case I wanted them. We gathered eight trash bags to donate!! Feels so good to have less clothes in our closets and to know it’s going to people in need.

WatchingThemGrow
10-08-2021, 06:44 AM
1. posting kids fall/winter stuff on FB/deciding what to donate
2. taking things to a consignment shop
3. make a neighborhood free pile DONE
4. move DD's old wardrobe/armoire to playroom DONE
5. reduce/list costumes and costume holding furniture
6. reset kids' closets/purge
7. check winter gear for sizing/fit
8. list old snow skis on FB
9. label ikea shoe boxes in shoe closet
10. find a home for music books and Kindermusik items
11. create a master list of toys to sell
12. create a schedule to follow to sell those toys
13. make a list of lego sets to build/sell

I like the idea of posting one thing a day on Marketplace!

carolinamama
10-08-2021, 09:11 AM
Yesterday I sorted through both boy's clothing, pulling out the items that don't fit or never get worn. I vowed that no one is to buy DS2 any new clothing for the foreseeable future. He wears a uniform to school and yet has more clothes than anyone else in the house. Some are hand-me-downs from DS1 but honestly, most were bought by me because this kid loves clothes and shows such appreciation for everything. Sometime next week I need to do DD's closet but that's going to be one huge undertaking.

lizzywednesday
10-08-2021, 10:18 PM
Our local synagogues are collecting clothing for Afghan refugees....

The local mosque (there's one 5 minutes from my home) as well as a number of community support organizations were collecting here at the beginning of September - I live about 40 minutes from Ft Dix, where one of the early waves was headed just after everything went to Hades - and people were generous, especially with baby diapers and other immediate-need items.

They weren't accepting used clothing, though, which just meant my niece got a lot of hand-me-downs the last time we saw her.

carolinamama
10-10-2021, 05:22 PM
This thread has given me a push to do some projects around the house I've been putting off. Today I did a complete cleaning of my half of the garage. DH considers the garage his domain but he keeps everything, because he "might need it sometime". It drives me bonkers so I told him I'd stay away from his side. I took everything out of mine, scrubbed down the shelving units, reorganized the kids' sports equipment, got rid of all the spider webs and ended with piles for trash and donation. I'll enjoy my work every time I pull into the garage.

essnce629
10-10-2021, 08:36 PM
I've decided to list 1 thing a day in my local Buy Nothing Facebook group. So far I've gotten rid of everything I've listed. Listing just 1 thing at a time makes it easier to keep track of who's picking up what.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

marinkitty
10-15-2021, 02:39 PM
Coming back to say this thread was the kick in the pants I needed. THANK YOU!

I dropped off 17 bags of donations on Tuesday. Went through the closets for outgrown/outdated/worn out stuff for me and the kids (and got DH to do his clothes), our sports equipment and our outerwear (hats, gloves, scarves and coats - we had approximately one million of these things) and also culled DS1 and DS2's stuffed animal bins, which had just been sitting there neglected forever. I also decluttered my desk/command center area off the kitchen and recycled an entire bin of outdated paper. While I was at it, I decorated the house for fall. Sitting back and enjoying this week's accomplishments, but next week I have DS1 and DS2's rooms to get back to - they have a lot of non-clothing, non-stuffed animal clutter that needs to be gone through. I also need to go through our shoe racks in the garage and boot trays in the mudroom as I haven't gotten to footwear yet! On a roll ...

lizzywednesday
10-20-2021, 10:36 AM
Coming back to say this thread was the kick in the pants I needed. THANK YOU!...

I'm so glad it's helping some of us! I often feel absolutely buried under mountains of un-done chores, so posting little things I've accomplished helps me feel better about how I've spent my time.

SnuggleBuggles
10-20-2021, 12:39 PM
I just keep inviting people over so it's made me stay on top of things!

I absolutely love my local Buy Nothing group. I have unloaded so much clutter. My favorite was the day I went through the boxes of Halloween decorations I have acquired over the years and pruned the collection way down. I posted it on the page and had to draw a name because there was so much interest. I got rid of 2 boxes worth of stuff that had become clutter to me but appreciated by someone else. I did the same thing with kitchen stuff and lots of random things. Truly my favorite thing!

I plan to go through my Christmas decoration boxes next so that will free up more space in our storage area in the garage. I just need to be in the right (aka not sentimental) mood!