PDA

View Full Version : Covid booster - J&J?

hbridge
10-24-2021, 09:37 AM
Hi all,

So back when vaccines were hard to find, we got the J&J vaccine since that is what they had. Now it's time for boosters and the J&J vaccine is no where to be found. I need to call my doctor tomorrow and figure out the booster situation (although she told me to get it ASAP). I am thinking the Moderna booster? What are people doing/thinking?

Thanks so much.

jgenie
10-24-2021, 09:45 AM
If I received J & J, I would opt for a Moderna booster.

carolinamama
10-24-2021, 10:21 AM
DH got the J&J. He plans to get the Moderna this week. In our area, it's easy to find appointments at Walgreens and CVS for either Pfizer or Moderna.

WatchingThemGrow
10-24-2021, 10:31 AM
Are we thinking Moderna for Pfizer people also, in addition to J&J people? And similar mixing and matching for Moderna people too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgiegirl
10-24-2021, 11:13 AM
Definitely Moderna. It offers the strongest protection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mommy_Mea
10-24-2021, 01:11 PM
I am leaning moderna.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

AngB
10-24-2021, 01:42 PM
Are we thinking Moderna for Pfizer people also, in addition to J&J people? And similar mixing and matching for Moderna people too?

I am, personally. (Healthcare in high covid area, working w high risk pregnant women, kids in mask optional school.) If our factors were less risky I would probably just do Pfizer again. I think it's good enough for most people. I would hate to get covid from my kids and then unknowingly give it to a high risk pregnant woman.)

gymnbomb
10-24-2021, 04:02 PM

I have been wondering this too. I saw some data comparing immune response to different boosters in those who got J&J originally (though I just realized I am unsure if that was with the full dose or half dose of Moderna as the booster). But I haven’t seen similar for those who originally got Pfizer. I will be eligible in a week, but may wait another month or two depending on my work schedule and DH’s travel schedule.

wencit
10-24-2021, 04:33 PM
I have been wondering this too. I saw some data comparing immune response to different boosters in those who got J&J originally (though I just realized I am unsure if that was with the full dose or half dose of Moderna as the booster). But I haven’t seen similar for those who originally got Pfizer. I will be eligible in a week, but may wait another month or two depending on my work schedule and DH’s travel schedule. Here are a couple write ups from epidemiologists I follow with graphs showing the antibody boost following a Pfizer or Moderna booster after an initial Pfizer series:

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/what-booster-should-i-get-data-from?fbclid=IwAR2sklzK1EEMvrPnS7ifxl-0fyEJh4782cMNdtv_djSqI4Q7IotdiUirmO0 (look at Group 3 and Group 9 on the first figure)
https://dearpandemic.org/new-mix-and-match-data/

Essentially, Moderna looks to be slightly better, BUT with one big caveat: these trials used the full dose of Moderna (100mcg) as a booster, whereas the authorized booster is only a half dose (50mcg). Therefore, we can't really be sure how an apples-to-apples comparison of a half dose Moderna booster would compare to a full dose Pfizer booster since we don't have those numbers (bummer). However, even a half dose of Moderna is still more vaccine than a full dose of Pfizer (30mcg).

bisous
10-24-2021, 09:56 PM
So...I got Pfizer but kind of want a J&J boost! TWIV was talking about how the J&J is showing more robust response in the Tcells than the other vaccines! Anyone else want that kind of "hetero" boost?

I don't think I qualify though. I'm not old enough, don't have any health conditions and I work from home. I recognize I could get any vaccine I want right now by walking into my neighborhood pharmacy but I also feel ok waiting.

MSWR0319
10-25-2021, 07:34 AM
Here are a couple write ups from epidemiologists I follow with graphs showing the antibody boost following a Pfizer or Moderna booster after an initial Pfizer series:

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/what-booster-should-i-get-data-from?fbclid=IwAR2sklzK1EEMvrPnS7ifxl-0fyEJh4782cMNdtv_djSqI4Q7IotdiUirmO0 (look at Group 3 and Group 9 on the first figure)
https://dearpandemic.org/new-mix-and-match-data/

Essentially, Moderna looks to be slightly better, BUT with one big caveat: these trials used the full dose of Moderna (100mcg) as a booster, whereas the authorized booster is only a half dose (50mcg). Therefore, we can't really be sure how an apples-to-apples comparison of a half dose Moderna booster would compare to a full dose Pfizer booster since we don't have those numbers (bummer). However, even a half dose of Moderna is still more vaccine than a full dose of Pfizer (30mcg).

Thanks for sharing! I ended up getting my third Pfizer two weeks ago. I was waiting to see about mixing and matching and finally decided to just go for it because cases in our area are super high still, and it had been over 6 months since my last one. I've read articles that the third Pfizer showed 95% efficacy in trials, so that's good for me for right now. I was also a little concerned about how I would react to a Moderna vaccine, as I felt horrible with my second Pfizer. Many of my friends who had Moderna felt way worse than me and had swollen lymph nodes for months, so I wasn't sure how I would feel and at least knew how I reacted to the first round. My third Pfizer was much less than the second as far as side effects. This data makes me feel ok about my decision, that I was afraid I would regret. I may be missing out on a bit extra boost, but it doesn't look like a whole lot and I'm more protected than I was with my second.

ang79
10-25-2021, 08:09 AM
Thanks for sharing! I ended up getting my third Pfizer two weeks ago. I was waiting to see about mixing and matching and finally decided to just go for it because cases in our area are super high still, and it had been over 6 months since my last one. I've read articles that the third Pfizer showed 95% efficacy in trials, so that's good for me for right now. I was also a little concerned about how I would react to a Moderna vaccine, as I felt horrible with my second Pfizer. Many of my friends who had Moderna felt way worse than me and had swollen lymph nodes for months, so I wasn't sure how I would feel and at least knew how I reacted to the first round. My third Pfizer was much less than the second as far as side effects. This data makes me feel ok about my decision, that I was afraid I would regret. I may be missing out on a bit extra boost, but it doesn't look like a whole lot and I'm more protected than I was with my second.

Interesting that your third Pfizer was not as bad as your second. A friend of mine was the opposite, she said her third shot caused her arm to swell for several days and was very sore and tired and bad headache (though she also gets frequent migraines). Her description sounded similar to what I felt for my second Modena, so I’m not looking forward to a third dose if it gets worse!

calebsmama03
10-25-2021, 08:14 AM
I got my third pfizer a few weeks ago also (teacher and didn’t want to wait not knowing when data would be available). I also felt much worse after 3rd dose. Significant headache that lasted 8 days- and I’m still more prone to afternoon headaches than usual. Fever and aches from about hour 26-40. Fatigue for a few days. Nothing like covid but well worse than my other doses.

DH and ODS got JJ and I want them to get Moderna if possible, Pfizer as second choice. I don’t trust the JJ to offer as much protection anymore.

twowhat?
10-25-2021, 09:16 AM
If I got JJ, I would want an mRNA booster. I would waffle between Moderna and Pfizer. Like PPs mentioned, the problem with the Moderna "booster" data is that it was a full dose, but in the US it's being rolled out as a half dose. So while the data looked a little better for Moderna in that study, it's an unfair comparison with our real life roll-out. A half dose is technically still "more" than the Pfizer dose but then now we're comparing 2 different vaccines so that's also an unfair comparison.

Bottom line is that if I got J&J I would be comfortable with either a Pfizer or Moderna booster. If I were elderly or immunocompromised, I would want a Moderna 3rd shot at the full dose.

eta: I had Pfizer primary and got a Pfizer booster before mix and match was authorized and I'm still happy with that decision. I did not feel as bad with the booster as I did with my second dose, though I had the same full range of side effects (swollen lymph nodes, fever, fatigue, chills, muscle aches), though with less intensity. I encourage everyone to sign up for v-safe to contribute data to science! https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/vsafe.html It's easy to sign up, no app download required, and you just answer a few questions daily after your shot, and then even fewer questions weekly for a few weeks. Very easy.

Mommy_Mea
10-25-2021, 09:19 AM
Well, I was planning on Moderna, but Pfizer was really the only one available when I booked my appointment for later this week. So Pfizer it is! I appreciate all the information in this thread to help with that decision.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

jgenie
10-25-2021, 09:22 AM
Interesting that your third Pfizer was not as bad as your second. A friend of mine was the opposite, she said her third shot caused her arm to swell for several days and was very sore and tired and bad headache (though she also gets frequent migraines). Her description sounded similar to what I felt for my second Modena, so I’m not looking forward to a third dose if it gets worse!

My 3rd dose of Pfizer was very similar to this. I muddled through the morning after but by lunch time I was done and crawled into bed to sleep. Was in bed for 1.5 hours then slowly returned to semi normal. I had a swollen lymph node under my arm for several days. I opted for a 3rd booster before the mix and match was approved. I didn’t have a reaction to either of the previous Pfizer doses. DH had a 3rd dose of Pfizer and had no reaction.

wencit
10-25-2021, 10:38 AM
My original series was Pfizer, and I was REALLY waffling between Moderna and Pfizer for my booster, even canceling my appointment while waiting for mix-and-match data. Ultimately, I went with a Pfizer booster. One factor that influenced my decision is that we get a lot of data from Israel, and they use Pfizer almost exclusively. I figure we might be able to gather more info about what's going on protection-wise with people who received Pfizer + Pfizer booster, whereas there may not be as robust data about people who switched from Pfizer to Moderna. I wish it were an easier decision, but I'm just happy both mRNA vaccines offer such great protection.

wendibird22
10-25-2021, 12:15 PM
DH got the Pfizer booster and had no reaction, but he didn't have any side effects to dose 1 or 2 either.

I'm team Moderna and trying to decide if I should get the booster. My 2nd dose was 8 months ago, so I'm far enough out. But I don't have any health issues that put me at risk. I was eligible early on for dose 1 because I was assisting as a volunteer with covid surveillance testing. I'm no longer doing so. I do work out of the home 5days a week and DD2 isn't yet eligible and therefore unvaccinated. DH got his booster because he's a teacher in a classroom of ineligible aged kids. I know they aren't really asking for qualifications when you show up for the booster so I'm certain I can get it, just don't know if I should.

MSWR0319
10-25-2021, 01:39 PM

I was like your friend (minus the arm swelling) for my second Pfizer. Don't get me wrong, I still felt it with my third, but it was much less intense compared to the second. DH felt nothing with his third and only felt a little with his second. Hoping your third is not any worse than your second.

hbridge
10-25-2021, 05:04 PM
Thanks all. We are scheduled... DH and I (who got the J&J initially) are scheduled for Moderna later this week and DC who got the Phizer is scheduled for a booster late in the week (the doctor wants DC to get the booster ASAP). Hopefully, by Monday we will all be boostered and feeling good... We have a small family event coming up later in November and everyone in attendance should all be two weeks past booster before we get together :).

Smillow
10-25-2021, 08:36 PM
I was originally vaccinated with Pfizer and got my booster today - I chose Moderna, although they were recommending your original shot - even for J&J!

ged
10-26-2021, 01:09 PM
I got my booster before they approved the mix/match. I kinda wanted the Moderna, but I am also feeling good with the Pfizer boost. My symptoms with the booster were more mild than after my 2nd dose.

Is it true the Moderna is more associated with myocarditis than Pfizer? That's what my co-worker just told me, but I thought it was either mRNA. I know a few with the J&J and they're debating which mRNA to get. I would lean Moderna only bc the studies seem to suggest greater effectiveness. But ototh, our Pfizer data is from Israel, our Moderna is from all over (?), so it's still hard to compare, imo.

In my head it's nuts that with 3 Pfizer shots, we still don't have as much "vaccine" as 1 full dose of Moderna.

gymnbomb
10-26-2021, 02:33 PM
In my head it's nuts that with 3 Pfizer shots, we still don't have as much "vaccine" as 1 full dose of Moderna.

True, but while they are based on the same technology they are still different vaccines. Ibuprofen and Tylenol and Aspirin are all different doses too because they are different medications.

MSWR0319
10-26-2021, 03:32 PM
I got my booster before they approved the mix/match. I kinda wanted the Moderna, but I am also feeling good with the Pfizer boost. My symptoms with the booster were more mild than after my 2nd dose.

Is it true the Moderna is more associated with myocarditis than Pfizer? That's what my co-worker just told me, but I thought it was either mRNA. I know a few with the J&J and they're debating which mRNA to get. I would lean Moderna only bc the studies seem to suggest greater effectiveness. But ototh, our Pfizer data is from Israel, our Moderna is from all over (?), so it's still hard to compare, imo.

Yes, based on what I have read that is true. I have also read that's why they are taking so long on approving the Moderna vaccine for the 12-15 age group. When cases of myocarditis first came out, the first thing I noticed was that they were happening more in those that got Moderna. It just didn't really look like it if you didn't look carefully at the numbers because the 12-15 age group could get Pfizer so there was a bigger pool of people getting the Pfizer vs Moderna. That made it look like it was happening more with the Pfizer group. However, if you took out the 12-15 year olds, it was clearly happening more in Moderna.

ETA: I never thought about the fact that 3 Pfizer shots have less than one Moderna, but I actually appreciate that as it seems to be effective. I like the aspect of less as long as it's still effective.

wencit
10-26-2021, 03:34 PM
The fact that the vaccines were given at different spacing intervals may have made a difference, too. I think I read somewhere that waiting a longer period of time between the first and second doses (4 weeks for Moderna vs 3 weeks for Pfizer) may have had a stronger protective effect.

gamma
10-26-2021, 03:47 PM
My first 2 doses, I couldn't wait til they were approved and received them very early on. But the third Moderna, I didn't rush right away to get it. I wasn't sure if I wanted the full dose or wait for the half dose booster. I checked my calendar for a few days where I didn't have plans and could not feel my best. I pulled up, well aware that I had a headache and fever for about 6 hours with dose 2. I then thought vaccine or ventilator? I walked right in there! Vaccine #3 I had a fever 100-101.5 for 24 hours, headache and sleepy. Injection site red and itchy for a week. With the holidays coming up, I'm glad that I got it. I don't want to miss out again this year.

gymnbomb
10-26-2021, 04:42 PM
The fact that the vaccines were given at different spacing intervals may have made a difference, too. I think I read somewhere that waiting a longer period of time between the first and second doses (4 weeks for Moderna vs 3 weeks for Pfizer) may have had a stronger protective effect.

I was wondering if it would make sense to wait 4-6 weeks between Pfizer doses for DS (assuming it gets approved soon for his age group).

ged
10-26-2021, 05:29 PM
I was wondering if it would make sense to wait 4-6 weeks between Pfizer doses for DS (assuming it gets approved soon for his age group).

ooh - interesting idea! I have a 11.5 year old and while I want her to be fully vaxxed as quickly as possible, I may be wiling to wait an extra couple of weeks for that second dose?

ged
10-26-2021, 05:36 PM
ETA: I never thought about the fact that 3 Pfizer shots have less than one Moderna, but I actually appreciate that as it seems to be effective. I like the aspect of less as long as it's still effective.

Good point ! And thanks for the info you also included in your post.

bisous
10-26-2021, 06:15 PM

I remember when there was some discussion about extending the interval to increase effective in the vaccine in adults on an episode of TWIV. I think the consensus among the scientist was to get to full protection more quickly. Maybe in an area (or in circumstances) with low spread it makes sense to wait? Otherwise I can see advantages to getting to full vaccination status.