PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with Moderna BOOSTER side effects?

NCGrandma
10-30-2021, 09:33 PM
After my recent whining about difficult access to boosters, I learned yesterday that my CCRC will be offering them here this coming week! (Mine is scheduled on my birthday—hooray!)

Maybe I missed a thread, but I’m wondering about folks' experience with side effects if they got a Moderna booster. I had a really sore arm and "flu-like symptoms" with the initial doses but am hoping that the lower-dose booster may spare me some of that.

Any experiences?

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Smillow
10-30-2021, 10:35 PM
I had a Moderna booster last Monday. My original shots were Pfizer. Arm was barely sore. I was tired this week, but that could be for any number of reasons. No other side effects:)

wencit
10-30-2021, 11:21 PM
DH got his Moderna booster yesterday. Absolutely no side effects whatsoever on him. In fact, I completely forgot he received his booster until I saw this post. FWIW, he had almost no side effects with his first 2 Moderna shots, too.

hbridge
10-31-2021, 08:30 AM
DH and I had J&J initially, we both got Moderna Boosters this week. DH felt a little off for the day after the booster, he had NO reaction at all to the J&J. I react to everything and had chills, ect after the J&J. I did not react nearly as much to the Moderna booster; I felt off, slight headache, and a little tired for a couple of days...

carolinamama
10-31-2021, 10:37 AM
DH and I had J&J initially, we both got Moderna Boosters this week. DH felt a little off for the day after the booster, he had NO reaction at all to the J&J. I react to everything and had chills, ect after the J&J. I did not react nearly as much to the Moderna booster; I felt off, slight headache, and a little tired for a couple of days...

Did you receive the half strength Moderna booster following your initial J&J? DH is getting his booster this week and originally got J&J so I'm curious how people are handling this one.

hbridge
10-31-2021, 12:04 PM
Did you receive the half strength Moderna booster following your initial J&J? DH is getting his booster this week and originally got J&J so I'm curious how people are handling this one.

Yes. I specifically asked and they said that it's the half-strength Moderna Booster. We actually could not find the J&J anywhere so decided on Moderna.

pinkmomagain
10-31-2021, 02:09 PM
I had a sore arm almost immediately but it's completely fine now (I had the 1/2 dose booster on Thursday). Felt slightly under the weather Thursday evening into Friday but much much much milder than the original vax.

essnce629
10-31-2021, 02:57 PM
My mom (65) initially had J&J and just got a Moderna booster yesterday. She hydrated a bunch and had 3 glasses of Gatorade yesterday. She will continue the same hydration plan today. She said she feels fine and that her arm is just a little sore. After her initial J&J she had a headache for about a week until I remembered the Gatorade tip. She immediately felt better after it and no more headaches.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

NCGrandma
10-31-2021, 03:15 PM
My mom (65) initially had J&J and just got a Moderna booster yesterday. She hydrated a bunch and had 3 glasses of Gatorade yesterday. She will continue the same hydration plan today. She said she feels fine and that her arm is just a little sore. After her initial J&J she had a headache for about a week until I remembered the Gatorade tip. She immediately felt better after it and no more headaches.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestion! I am usually really well hydrated, including drinking a lot of water which many of my friends don’t do. Lately things have been extra-busy and I have let the hydration slide. My booster is on Wednesday so I’ve got time to be better hydrated for it and be prepared for afterwards. Not a fan of Gatorade but I’ll probably grab some just in case.

doberbrat
10-31-2021, 03:38 PM
Got mine on Monday. (orig I had Pfizer) I had a bit of a headache that night. Tue it felt like someone hit me upside the head with a frying pan. And I felt achy and feverish though I didnt have one. By Wed, I felt fine except for a sore arm. The arm pain lasted till yesterday. I somewhat got it on a whim - I knew I wanted it but did it as a walk in so I didnt have a chance to prehydrate. I do think that makes a huge difference.

zukeypur
11-01-2021, 04:40 PM
So glad to hear you all are not having terrible times with the booster! I was in the "full dose" group in the trial, and it was brutal. It was all of the side effects from the first two shots combined, plus nausea. It also lasted for 2 days vs. 1 for the first two. I'm glad they decided to do 1/2 doses for the booster, My antibody level is sky-high, but I would have been fine with a "less eventful" booster.

NCGrandma
11-01-2021, 04:53 PM
Thanks, all, for the general encouragement! I still have a day and a half to get my hydration levels up [emoji1] but I’m trying to be optimistic. I don’t really need an "eventful" booster.

NCGrandma
11-04-2021, 12:43 PM
Quick follow up: I got my booster yesterday morning, and so far, the only side effect is a slightly sore arm. (Big change from dose 2.) Thanks to everyone for suggesting good hydration in advance. Not sure if that was the cause, but my friend and I really hydrated well, and neither of us had problems beyond a sore arm. And it made me realize I was slightly dehydrated.

Another thanks to the BBB!