PDA

View Full Version : Spin-off high school varsity jackets

AnnieW625
11-01-2021, 11:20 AM
Varsity jackets are very popular in my area and DD1 wants one. I notice a lot of the kids at her school have one. Did you get one or did your kids get one? I didn’t get one in high school because I didn’t play any varsity for any sports, but Dd1 has played tennis and has also been on the dance team this year and plans to for the next two years as well. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
11-01-2021, 11:29 AM
If they’re trendy at her school and she wants one, I’d get one. They’ve ebbed and flowed at ours. My kids have actually worn mine but they never wanted one of their own

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

carolinacool
11-01-2021, 11:32 AM
Letterman jackets were huge when I was in school (early 1990s in southern Virginia). I qualified for mine because I had letters for marching band (flag team) and academics. It was a HUGE deal if you wore your boyfriend's jacket -- it was like you were practically married. I remember dissolving into tears when my boyfriend and I broke up and I had to give it back. :rotflmao

However, I never see kids out and about wearing them where I live now. Like the ring, I hadn't really thought about it until now.

jgenie
11-01-2021, 11:46 AM
If my kids want one, I will buy it. I have not noticed that they are worn at our school though. I earned a letter jacket as a freshman and wore my jacket throughout high school. I don’t think I wore it once I left for college. It’s in my moms hall closet keeping my wedding dress company.

essnce629
11-01-2021, 11:54 AM
If my kid wanted one and they were popular I'd get one. They were not a thing at DS1's school (never saw one in all 4 years). For whatever reason, I think the private Catholic high schools are much more traditional when it comes to things like class rings and letterman jackets.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

khm
11-01-2021, 11:56 AM
They are not a thing at all at my kids' school. But, if they were and my kid wanted one, why not?

PunkyBoo
11-01-2021, 12:35 PM
I was mascot for one semester at my high school and got a letterman jacket, it's in a box in the garage. DS1 could get one bc he plays varsity tennis but has no interest. He's not much into the school spirit thing, but anyway I don't think I've seen any on the kids at his school.
DH has one from high school and one from college. I've seen him wear the college one, many years ago, to a football game.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
11-01-2021, 12:58 PM
If I'd have earned one, I'd have worn it, but I only played 1 season of JV field hockey (which taught me that field hockey was not my sport) and drifted away from athletics into the arts.

klwa
11-01-2021, 01:10 PM
Graduated in 1994, and earned a letter for band and a letter for academics my freshman year. We very proudly wore them, and, as PP mentioned, wearing a BOY'S jacket was absolutely the coolest thing ever. I went to a different school for my junior & senior years, and we didn't have them there, but lots of us who were there had them and wore them from our previous schools. :rotflmao:

I haven't seen any kids at our current school wearing them and I don't remember my nieces & nephews who went to the same school I did for 9th & 10th wearing them, so I assume around here they've ebbed back out of favor.

carolinacool
11-01-2021, 02:02 PM
Graduated in 1994, and earned a letter for band and a letter for academics my freshman year. We very proudly wore them, and, as PP mentioned, wearing a BOY'S jacket was absolutely the coolest thing ever.

We're like the SAME PERSON! (except class of 1993) :ROTFLMAO:

You could always tell when a girl was wearing her boyfriend's jacket because it was usually too big. My ex was a 280-pound lineman on the football team. I'm not a small girl, but that thing swallowed the high school version of me. lol

hellokitty
11-01-2021, 09:06 PM
I don't feel like they're as popular at my kids' school as I thought they would be. My husband is really obsessed with our kids getting letterman jackets... I always thought they were no big deal. None of my 3 kids want anything to do with it, lol. I am ok with it, and frankly the design of the jacket at our school is kind of ugly.

klwa
11-02-2021, 08:33 AM
We're like the SAME PERSON! (except class of 1993) :ROTFLMAO:

You could always tell when a girl was wearing her boyfriend's jacket because it was usually too big. My ex was a 280-pound lineman on the football team. I'm not a small girl, but that thing swallowed the high school version of me. lol

:rotflmao: In our case, the girls jackets all had the big unzipped hood thing across the back with our name, so if you were wearing a plain collared one rather than the hood type everyone KNEW it was a guys!! So exciting! :rotflmao:

carolinacool
11-02-2021, 08:37 AM
:rotflmao: In our case, the girls jackets all had the big unzipped hood thing across the back with our name, so if you were wearing a plain collared one rather than the hood type everyone KNEW it was a guys!! So exciting! :rotflmao:

Again, SAME about the hood! :ROTFLMAO: Too funny.

wendibird22
11-02-2021, 09:29 AM
They seem to be a thing for the boys at my DDs school. The girls who are athletes tend to order a anorak style jacket for the specific sport (so DD1 ordered a soccer jacket this season with last name and jersey number on it).

I would get one if she wants it. I didn't have a high school jacket, but I did have a sorority jacket from college. Of course I didn't wear it after I graduated but it is fun memorabilia.

Kindra178
11-02-2021, 10:12 AM
I wish it were a thing here. It was big for boys at my high school; girls a couple years younger than me also started to get them.

OP, I would absolutely get one.

NCGrandma
11-02-2021, 11:33 AM
Good question—if the small private school DGD1 attends has anything like this, I doubt that it’s the "classic" letter jacket that I remember from the olden days, but maybe they have a newer style. I should ask. Yesterday, their field hockey team won the state championship for the first time in 25 years! DGD1 was the winning goalie. You can imagine the celebrations!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Twin Mom
11-02-2021, 12:01 PM
Some kids had them here. DS never wanted one. DD did for a short time but considering they were over $300 and would likely not be worn after graduation she decided it wasn’t worth the money.

I am not aware of anyone getting class rings here. DC didn’t even ask for one.

gymnbomb
11-02-2021, 01:30 PM
Good question—if the small private school DGD1 attends has anything like this, I doubt that it’s the "classic" letter jacket that I remember from the olden days, but maybe they have a newer style. I should ask. Yesterday, their field hockey team won the state championship for the first time in 25 years! DGD1 was the winning goalie. You can imagine the celebrations!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Woo hoo, congratulations to your granddaughter!! I saw the newspaper headline this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom_hanna
11-02-2021, 01:31 PM
I never had one even though I lettered in multiple sports for all 4 years, but we bought my daughter one. She has lettered in multiple sports since freshman year as well as all conference and all state awards and patches. they are very poplular among the athletes, girls and boys, but no one else has them. We don't have letters for band and academics.

carolinamama
11-02-2021, 01:45 PM
If they are big in your area and your DD wants one, I'd get it.

I don't think they are popular around here now. I'll have to ask DS1 if he sees them around school.

barto2504
11-04-2021, 06:11 PM
B

Enviado desde mi M2004J19C mediante Tapatalk