PDA

View Full Version : Covid booster timing with other vaxes?

robinsmommy
11-01-2021, 06:21 PM
My doctor ok'd me for a Covid booster, which I will be ready for in two weeks, timing-wise. I had my flu shot today. (haven't had one in 15 years, but this seems like a great year to get one.) And I am due for a Tdap.

Is two weeks between enough time, for each, since I need 3 shots? There isn't much info out there. I am not terribly worried about tetanus in the next month.

She's also checking titers for MMR immunity....when it rains it pours.....

jgenie
11-01-2021, 06:36 PM
I would get the booster and then wait a bit for your Tdap to make sure any side affects have subsided or are not masked by the next vaccine.

JustMe
11-01-2021, 07:56 PM
I don't know about the T-dap timing, but I had the flu shot exactly 2 weeks before my Moderna booster (which I just got yesterday). Sore arm, fatigue, fine the next day. Personally, I need to get Shingles and putting that off until I am not near any other vaccines.

robinsmommy
11-01-2021, 09:29 PM
I would get the booster and then wait a bit for your Tdap to make sure any side affects have subsided or are not masked by the next vaccine.

Good point. And there are countries that wait much longer for Tdap boosters than 10 years. I think it’s 20 somewhere in Scandinavia.

robinsmommy
11-01-2021, 09:30 PM
I don't know about the T-dap timing, but I had the flu shot exactly 2 weeks before my Moderna booster (which I just got yesterday). Sore arm, fatigue, fine the next day. Personally, I need to get Shingles and putting that off until I am not near any other vaccines.
I will be so happy to get my booster. Hopefully side effects are easier this time

klwa
11-02-2021, 08:31 AM
Yeah. I'd hold off on the Tetanus booster for a bit. I know some people are getting flu & Covid booster on the same day, so I'd think 2 weeks between them would be plenty of time.

zukeypur
11-02-2021, 01:49 PM
According to the CDC, there is no wait time before or after vaccines, with the exception of a live vaccine (such as varicella).

I recently had a student who received a varicella vaccine, and an ill-informed pharmacist refused to give her the second COVID dose based on outdated and misunderstood guidance. I called several other pharmacies, consulted with DH (pharmacist), as well as a pharmacist friend, and all said that there are no longer waiting periods with vaccines, with the exception of live followed by live.

I can dig up the documentation if you want, or you can look on the CDC website.

georgiegirl
11-02-2021, 04:35 PM
DH’s hospital was giving out flu and booster shots together

smilequeen
11-02-2021, 05:14 PM
I am getting my flu and booster at the same time tomorrow. I couldn’t answer about other vaccines though.

marinkitty
11-02-2021, 08:56 PM
I'm getting flu shot and Covid booster together tonight!

robinsmommy
11-03-2021, 02:57 PM
I did get more info. I have a mammogram later this month (took first available appointment), will have to wait until after that regardless- a Covid vax causes some kind of temporary lymph system reaction that can create a false positive on mammograms, so that drives my timing, that and the date of my second Covid vax.

NCGrandma
11-03-2021, 03:04 PM
I did get more info. I have a mammogram later this month (took first available appointment), will have to wait until after that regardless- a Covid vax causes some kind of temporary lymph system reaction that can create a false positive on mammograms, so that drives my timing, that and the date of my second Covid vax.

Thanks for this info — I just got my booster this morning, and am waiting for a call from the mammogram scheduler. Since there’s no urgency, I won’t grab the first available mammogram as I usually do (unless it’s at least several weeks in the future). I’ll be interested to see whether the scheduler asks about recent vaccinations.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

hbridge
11-03-2021, 04:02 PM
I Had my tetnus and 1st shingles at the same time, I definitely had side effects, but think it was to the shingles vac.

I the last five weeks I had the 2nd shingles, flu and Covid booster (all two weeks apart, not planned, just how it worked out). I had a mammogram 4 weeks after the 2nd shingles and 2 weeks after the flu, and had to go back for more imaging. Everything is fine, but I do wonder if the vaccines caused the false "positive'.

smilequeen
11-03-2021, 05:11 PM

Do you know if that happens quickly? I’d never heard of this and my mammogram is tomorrow and Covid booster was today. Surprised that wasn’t asked when scheduling the mammogram.

MSWR0319
11-03-2021, 06:35 PM
Do you know if that happens quickly? I’d never heard of this and my mammogram is tomorrow and Covid booster was today. Surprised that wasn’t asked when scheduling the mammogram.

I'm not sure how quickly it happens. I had to delay my mammogram because my second shot was right when my mammogram should have been. They told me it didn't have to be delayed but if it wasn't just be prepared that they made need more imaging and more testing if something looks off. I wouldn't be worried in your shoes. Just be prepared, just in case.

jgenie
11-03-2021, 07:13 PM

Did they tell you how long to wait?

JustMe
11-03-2021, 07:28 PM

Would love to hear if anyone gets any answer to this from a medical provider. This article from Johns Hopkins says "a few weeks".

hbridge
11-03-2021, 07:42 PM
I had read "4 to 6 weeks" from a shingles or covid vaccine. I was 4 weeks out from shingles and was called back for more imaging. Of course, the day after the original scan, I got my booster... The additional scans indicated that there was not issue, thank goodness!

I would wait 6 weeks for a mammogram if you can. If not, just be prepared to go back for more. I didn't even think about it until the morning of the mammogram...

MSWR0319
11-03-2021, 08:33 PM

I was told 4.

smilequeen
11-03-2021, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure how quickly it happens. I had to delay my mammogram because my second shot was right when my mammogram should have been. They told me it didn't have to be delayed but if it wasn't just be prepared that they made need more imaging and more testing if something looks off. I wouldn't be worried in your shoes. Just be prepared, just in case.

Currently have a low grade fever from the shots today, so may have to reschedule anyway. They won't want to see me if I have a fever.

smilequeen
11-04-2021, 11:23 AM
So to update…I was fine this morning so I went and she said they are not seeing issues with the booster. It was the second shot that caused issues with mammograms.

robinsmommy
11-04-2021, 01:36 PM
So to update…I was fine this morning so I went and she said they are not seeing issues with the booster. It was the second shot that caused issues with mammograms.

This is good to know, but since I now have family history, and they already have a hard time getting good images because of dense tissue, I would as soon not even have to worry.

Not to mention that boosters are now booked so far out that I had to go beyond my mammo appt anyhow! I did get appts for DH and myself, for a couple days after.

jgenie
11-04-2021, 02:10 PM

Thank you for the update! I go next week which is just shy of 4 weeks from my booster.