PDA

View Full Version : update #33: S/O: of you have an 11+ year old are you waiting until 12 to vaccinate?

AnnieW625
11-02-2021, 07:32 PM
I am leaning this way for Dd2. I would rather wait five months so she gets the full 12-15 dose vs. a dose for kids age 5-11 (DD2 is 5’1” or so and about 95lbs….so not huge on the 11 year old spectrum but not on the smaller side either). The only thing that might make me change my mind at this point is if they said that no masks in school were required for those who are vaccinated but I don’t think that will happen for a very long time in California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbridge
11-02-2021, 07:42 PM
Honestly, I have a 12+ who is fully vaccinated with booster, however, in your case I would get an 11 year old vaccinated with 2 doses of Pfizer ASAP, then, after they turn 12, (at the 6 month mark) go for the "full dose" booster. Some protection is better than none and 5 months is a long time to wait.

bisous
11-02-2021, 07:46 PM
Honestly, I have a 12+ who is fully vaccinated with booster, however, in your case I would get an 11 year old vaccinated with 2 doses of Pfizer ASAP, then, after they turn 12, (at the 6 month mark) go for the "full dose" booster. Some protection is better than none and 5 months is a long time to wait.

That's what I'd do too. It is a long time to wait in the middle of a pandemic. I think a little protection (especially for a subgroup that is less susceptible to negative outcome than other groups) immediately is preferable to better protection later--unless you had the capacity and desire to really keep her isolated from her peers in the interim and I don't see that as something that many parents would pick at this point!

carolinacool
11-02-2021, 07:56 PM
But will kids be eligible for a booster? I remember someone said that earlier, but I haven’t read anything that said that kids with no underlying conditions will be eligible for a booster in six months.

Annie, my DS turns 12 at the beginning of December. DH would prefer that we just wait and let him get two full dosages. But I think I’m going to have him get one kid dose when it’s available and then get the larger dose right after he turns 12. But in our case, even if we do wait, it’s a difference of two or three weeks. Five months is a really long time.

twowhat?
11-02-2021, 08:04 PM
Kids’ immune systems are really robust. The 10 mcg dose was demonstrated to be similarly efficacious comparing to those who got the 30 mcg dose when looking at markers of the immune response and infection rates in the trial. And bonus, looks like fewer side effects. If you want your kids to be vaccinated, I would not wait 5 months unless you are 100% ok with the very real possibility that they could be infected first. My friend’s 10yo just recovered from a covid infection despite her masking at school (mask optional school) and the transmission was almost certainly school. She recovered with no issue but it was a SUPER frustrating experience for her covid-cautious family to make it this long and then catch it a mere month from an available vaccine.

10 mcg IS a “full” dose for kids under 12.

Snow mom
11-02-2021, 08:19 PM
That seems like a long time to wait! I'd get her the pediatric dose now unless she is really far along in puberty. I think puberty is when kids immune systems begin to transition to be more like adult immune systems. Physiologically she's 11 and I have faith her immune system will put up a good response to the smaller dose.

wendibird22
11-02-2021, 08:21 PM
My DD2 turns 12 mid-December. She’ll get the lower dose as soon as it’s available. The data is showing an equally robust immune response when fewer side effects.

lizzywednesday
11-02-2021, 08:21 PM
Nope, we're not waiting unless DD's cardiologist tells us to.

According to everything I've read from experts, the dosage is based on immune system maturity vs. body weight.

carolinacool
11-02-2021, 08:29 PM
That seems like a long time to wait! I'd get her the pediatric dose now unless she is really far along in puberty. I think puberty is when kids immune systems begin to transition to be more like adult immune systems. Physiologically she's 11 and I have faith her immune system will put up a good response to the smaller dose.

I was reading a New York Times story the other day that was focused on 11-year-olds who are turning 12 in the next couple of months. One of the doctors offhand mentioned puberty and that’s when immunity systems can change but didn’t really address it in depth. So of course the comments were lit up with people who had 11-year-olds who have fully gone through puberty. And questions about whether 12-year-olds who aren’t anywhere close to puberty should be eligible for the smaller dose, especially if it means fewer side effects.

essnce629
11-02-2021, 08:42 PM
There's a family from DS2's school where the parents were waiting till Labor Day weekend (?) to get their 12 and 14 year olds vaccinated, who have been eligible since May. The entire family, including the fully vaccinated parents, ended up getting Covid the week before Labor Day.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

jgenie
11-02-2021, 08:50 PM
DS2 turns 12 in January. I have been refreshing vaccine sites since today’s vote. My hope is to get his shot in the very first week. There’s no way I would wait and it’s only 2 months for us.

doberbrat
11-02-2021, 08:52 PM
I just booked dose 1 at the 11yo dose. I'll change dose 2 date so its after her bday - its only a few days past 21 days. So she'll have 1 dose now and the 12 later. With winter coming, I would not wait 5mo. I thought about waiting the month for her bday but not 5mo. There is an advantage in having them immunized pre winter IMO. Stuff is getting back to normal - winter concerts, holiday parties, travel and Family gatherings

Snow mom
11-02-2021, 09:36 PM
I just booked dose 1 at the 11yo dose. I'll change dose 2 date so its after her bday - its only a few days past 21 days. So she'll have 1 dose now and the 12 later. With winter coming, I would not wait 5mo. I thought about waiting the month for her bday but not 5mo. There is an advantage in having them immunized pre winter IMO. Stuff is getting back to normal - winter concerts, holiday parties, travel and Family gatherings

Where did you manage to book? I'm in a CVS waiting room. None of the other big pharmacies around me seem to be booking for 5-11 (although no evidence CVS is either.)

frugalmom
11-02-2021, 09:54 PM

How did you get your kid over 12 a booster?

frugalmom
11-02-2021, 09:55 PM

Yes, wondering where you booked? I called the ped. 4 times over the last week and half and they are not booking. I have been on CVS and Walgreens and nothing.

frugalmom
11-02-2021, 09:59 PM
My 11 year old would have to wait 11 months for the older dose, so nope. Do I worry about not having the higher dose? Yep. But it is like when the vaccines first came out and they said to get the first one you could get. Now if it was just a few weeks, I would probably wait if my life could be adjusted like that. I guess it would depend on the mask wearing in my area and how open we were. There is little to no mask wearing in our area, so I want my kids with an extra layer of protection asap.

carolinacool
11-02-2021, 10:04 PM
I checked Publix and our local hospital system, which hosts Covid clinics in different places. Both places said they will post their appointments once they have received their shipments. My pediatrician is not getting any vaccines, at least not in this first round. Actually, very few pediatricians offices locally are getting it.

AnnieW625
11-02-2021, 10:14 PM
Thanks all!

I just checked CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid. Both Rite Aid and Walgreens say that under 12 isn’t authorized yet and CVS said they are adding more vaccine spots and no one could make an appointment. Vaccines.gov doesn’t even have 5-11 appointments available. My insurance/medical provider (Kaiser) hasn’t sent anything out yet. I will wait and see what they say. I am just afraid that my kid won’t be eligible for a 12-15 booster once she old enough if she only had the 5-11 shot. We aren’t planning any holiday travel but I know others probably are so I do have to take that into effect as well. Masks are still required at school and most places here for unvaccinated people and I see people with masks more than I don’t; especially kids.

doberbrat
11-02-2021, 11:28 PM
Where did you manage to book? I'm in a CVS waiting room. None of the other big pharmacies around me seem to be booking for 5-11 (although no evidence CVS is either.)

Walgreens closest to my house. The website doesnt say it can do it but it let me make the appt based on her bday. I'll call and double check with the pharmacist tomorrow . Just keeping my fingers crossed!

ged
11-03-2021, 12:43 AM
Walgreens closest to my house. The website doesnt say it can do it but it let me make the appt based on her bday. I'll call and double check with the pharmacist tomorrow . Just keeping my fingers crossed!

thanks for that. I have an appt scheduled for my 11 y.o. - she'll be turning 12 in May. The earliest appts I saw were for Sat. I decided to wait until next Wed, to let her be 2 weeks past her FluMist. I gueess technically we don't have to wait 2 weeks, but just to be safe. And FluMist is live - I wonder if it's a concern, like varicella and vax timing? Sorry for the tangent...

Tenasparkl
11-03-2021, 01:46 AM
Walgreens is booking 5 - 11 now. Soonest I could get is next Monday.

Snow mom
11-03-2021, 04:59 AM

Thanks, I woke up and saw this and booked at Walgreens 40 minutes from my house for Saturday. The only Walgreens closer that was offering it didn’t have appointments until next Thursday. If I find something better I’ll cancel my appointment but we’ll do the drive if necessary.

basil
11-03-2021, 05:40 AM
It’s weird, I could book it in RI but not in MA. I think snow mom and doberbrat are in MA too? Also I could book Walgreens but not CVS (in either state).

Snow mom
11-03-2021, 05:49 AM
It’s weird, I could book it in RI but not in MA. I think snow mom and doberbrat are in MA too? Also I could book Walgreens but not CVS (in either state).

It seems the number of locations with the children’s dose are really low. I could find CVS in Middleborough or Cambridge but their search radius must be really small as if I entered another zip code in my town I didn’t come up with the same option as for my own zip. Walgreen’s had a few more options (lots around Boston if you are in the metro) but had obviously been filling up. Walmart you can now get to the map with a kids birthdate but nothing available.

ETA: if you prefer CVS and are willing to drive a bit keep choosing different towns as your location to see what options actually exist.

basil
11-03-2021, 06:05 AM
It seems the number of locations with the children’s dose are really low. I could find CVS in Middleborough or Cambridge but their search radius must be really small as if I entered another zip code in my town I didn’t come up with the same option as for my own zip. Walgreen’s had a few more options (lots around Boston if you are in the metro) but had obviously been filling up. Walmart you can now get to the map with a kids birthdate but nothing available.

ETA: if you prefer CVS and are willing to drive a bit keep choosing different towns as your location to see what options actually exist.

Oh interesting! When I checked before 5 am (I'm an early riser, I didn't wake up specifically for this), there was no option to even click on "covid vaccine" after entering a <12 yo birthdate. Now I can see appointments around at CVS but starting on Monday. Walgreens was also showing nothing in Boston or around my town but now I can see appointments. Looks like there are some in Brockton this weekend, but that's not really easier for me than Providence so maybe I'll just stick with what I've got.

wendibird22
11-03-2021, 06:28 AM
Thank you all for posting that pharmacies in your area were booking. Just checked and a Walgreens 12miles away has appointments and I got DD2 an appointment for this Saturday. Dose two will be thanksgiving weekend. She’ll be fully vaxed (2 doses plus 2 weeks) a few days before her 12th birthday.

carolinacool
11-03-2021, 07:59 AM
I’m going to try to book for next Wednesday. I thought about Saturday after DS’ soccer game, but picture make-up day is Monday. He was out on quarantine for the regular picture day so I don’t want to risk him not feeling well and not being able to go to school. Our district is out on Thursday for Veterans Day, so if we do it Wednesday, he can feel not great on Thursday and not miss anything. His second shot would fall on Dec. 1, but I’ll just wait four more days and take him to get the age 12 dose.

carolinamama
11-03-2021, 09:11 AM
For us, I definitely wouldn't wait 5 months for vaccination. We are going into the winter months and it's possible (likely?) we will se another spike. Everything is opening up more and more so your DD will have more exposure but also more opportunities for fun activities you don't want her to miss due to lack of vaccination. No one knows for sure yet if everyone will need a yearly Covid vaccine but it's certainly possible. Your DD could get the full dose next year if that becomes the recommendation.

carolinacool
11-03-2021, 11:23 AM

Do you have confirmation that you can switch dosages? This is what I want to do as well, but I called Publix a few minutes ago, and the pharmacist was completely stumped. He said he would look into and call me back either today or tomorrow, but his thought was I would probably have to continue on with the same dosage, even if he is 12.

Snow mom
11-03-2021, 11:57 AM
Do you have confirmation that you can switch dosages? This is what I want to do as well, but I called Publix a few minutes ago, and the pharmacist was completely stumped. He said he would look into and call me back either today or tomorrow, but his thought was I would probably have to continue on with the same dosage, even if he is 12.

I would schedule the second dose separately and I can't imagine they will hassle you about it when you go. Around here adult doses are easy to come by so when it's close to time for the second shot I'd go to the CVS site (or whatever your preference is), enter his date of birth, select "need to schedule second dose" and it should give you an appointment for the correct thing for his current age.

MSWR0319
11-03-2021, 12:11 PM
Thanks all!

I just checked CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid. Both Rite Aid and Walgreens say that under 12 isn’t authorized yet and CVS said they are adding more vaccine spots and no one could make an appointment. Vaccines.gov doesn’t even have 5-11 appointments available. My insurance/medical provider (Kaiser) hasn’t sent anything out yet. I will wait and see what they say. I am just afraid that my kid won’t be eligible for a 12-15 booster once she old enough if she only had the 5-11 shot. We aren’t planning any holiday travel but I know others probably are so I do have to take that into effect as well. Masks are still required at school and most places here for unvaccinated people and I see people with masks more than I don’t; especially kids.

I wouldn’t be worrying about a booster. They aren’t even approved for the 12+ group anyway. By the time your daughter is old enough for one, which would be at least 7 months from now more than likely I’m sure they will have figured out how to handle those 11 year old who turned 12. No way I’d wait 5 months for a first shot. If get her vaccinated as soon as possible if she was mine.

carolinacool
11-03-2021, 12:11 PM
I would schedule the second dose separately and I can't imagine they will hassle you about it when you go. Around here adult doses are easy to come by so when it's close to time for the second shot I'd go to the CVS site (or whatever your preference is), enter his date of birth, select "need to schedule second dose" and it should give you an appointment for the correct thing for his current age.

Thanks. I went ahead and scheduled for CVS just to have something on the books. Only three CVS pharmacies in my city appear to be scheduling kids right now, including one located in Target. When I did it online, I had to choose a second shot date, and the only option was the date exactly three weeks after his first. If we end up going there (my preference is still Publix), I'll cancel it after his first shot and rebook.

AnnieW625
11-03-2021, 12:35 PM
I ended up signing her up for next Wednesday afternoon through the medical insurance/provider. Not sure if they are doing them in a tent like they did for the initial roll out for adults and 12-15 or inside the office, but I just decided I should do it anyways now. I chose Wednesday because they have no school on Thursday (Veterans Day) so if there are any side effects she can rest on that day. I will try to schedule the second shot for a Friday to have the weekend as a just in case.

I just looked it up and I could’ve gotten CVS as early as Monday.