PDA

View Full Version : S/O Finding a Suit TODAY?????!!!

carolinamama
11-03-2021, 09:45 AM
DS1 told me last night that his high school sports team plans to wear suits to school tomorrow because they have a big game tomorrow night. DS1 does not have a suit. Because of the pandemic, his only non-athletic clothing is golf attire. He can't go shopping after school because he has school practice and then club practice. Is it even possible to find and buy a suit on such short notice and without him? There are no department stores within 30-45 minutes. He's a string bean (5'10" and 120 lbs) so DH's jackets hang on him. WWYD? Do all these boys have suits hanging in their closets? I wish I had a few days to work on this but I also hate the idea that I could potentially buy something he will wear one time.

carolinacool
11-03-2021, 09:53 AM
Yikes! Do you count Kohl's as a department store? That's the only place I can think of where you could get something fairly decent looking that's not too expensive. Especially if he can't go with you! What about khakis, a jacket and a tie? I know you still need to buy it, but it might be easier to put together.

I bet most of the families are scrambling today!

nfceagles
11-03-2021, 09:55 AM
If I were you, assuming you have the time, head to the nearest mall with various department stores. Look for a pair of trousers (that he might be able to use again) in his size or a few sizes. Also a white dress shirt, belt, and tie (or borrow tie from DH). If there’s a thrift shop nearby, I might stop and check for a sport jacket or suit jacket, but if not oh well. Keep all receipts, as it wouldn’t shock me if they change their minds today after all their parents react to the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2021, 10:04 AM
H&M and Kohl’s came through best for me. Both have separates- which is totally fine and will make sizing a lot easier.
I had several scrambled like that but eventually ds1’s closet was well stocked and it was great. Now ds2 can rewear some of it too. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

carolinamama
11-03-2021, 10:06 AM
Yikes! Do you count Kohl's as a department store? That's the only place I can think of where you could get something fairly decent looking that's not too expensive. Especially if he can't go with you! What about khakis, a jacket and a tie? I know you still need to buy it, but it might be easier to put together.

I bet most of the families are scrambling today!

Ohhh there's a Kohls 15 minutes away. I never shop there so I always forget about it. He has khaki pants so I'm going to look for a jacket and hope he's happy with that set up for this time. He needs to learn that lack of planning on his part equals a lack of what he wants. He was off school yesterday and we could have easily gone shopping if he'd mentioned it before last night. Kids :rolleye0014:

twowhat?
11-03-2021, 11:11 AM
other places to check that will carry suit jackets (which is probably the thing you need most): Target, yes to Kohls! Gap, Banana Republic, TJMaxx, Marshalls if you have any of these near you. Target you can check stock online first.

bisous
11-03-2021, 12:20 PM
Ohhh there's a Kohls 15 minutes away. I never shop there so I always forget about it. He has khaki pants so I'm going to look for a jacket and hope he's happy with that set up for this time. He needs to learn that lack of planning on his part equals a lack of what he wants. He was off school yesterday and we could have easily gone shopping if he'd mentioned it before last night. Kids :rolleye0014:

The khaki pants and jacket sounds doable! He's so lucky to have you out there to hunt this stuff down!

KpbS
11-03-2021, 12:46 PM
JC Penney’s is a good place to buy something (jacket or suit) affordable.

Also hit a thrift shop with a measuring tape for the sleeves….
I definitely vote khakis, button down, and jacket.

WatchingThemGrow
11-03-2021, 01:21 PM
We are cheering for you! Also, reach out to a mom with a slightly bigger kid if the same shape or ask on your neighborhood listserve for the size jacket you’re looking for! I know my nhood could come through for this!

infocrazy
11-03-2021, 05:00 PM
Too late now but I got my 6ft 130 lb DS a suit on Amazon for Homecoming. They ship surprisingly fast and I was actually pretty happy with the quality!

niccig
11-03-2021, 05:04 PM
DS needed help for homecoming. Black chinos and blazer worked. We couldn’t find dress pants that fit

niccig
11-03-2021, 05:08 PM
We are cheering for you! Also, reach out to a mom with a slightly bigger kid if the same shape or ask on your neighborhood listserve for the size jacket you’re looking for! I know my nhood could come through for this!

Yes this! A friend with younger boys texted me about a white button down for her younger DS. I had 2 that didn’t fit DS anymore. One was perfect fit for her son, and the other was next size up. I dropped them off on her porch

mom2binsd
11-03-2021, 07:15 PM
Definitely send out a "help" to any friends who have sons similar sizes, there are probably folks with a sport coat and shirt hanging around.

jgenie
11-03-2021, 07:20 PM
Ask people you know. I just cleared DS2’s closet and passed on two suits, two blazers and two pairs of dress shoes all worn only a couple of times. The recipient was thrilled!