PDA

View Full Version : Eeek! Recommendations for period underwear

KpbS
11-03-2021, 12:51 PM
DD just started her period and is still 10, so quite young.

She is a size 14/16. Please send me your best recommendations!!

ETA she is 5’4 almost 5’5 and 105 lbs.

AnnieW625
11-03-2021, 12:57 PM
Dd1 has had good luck with Ruby Love, but she didn’t get them until she was 13.5 when she got her period in Feb., 2020. However it runs small but it is supposed to be tight. Dd1 is 5’6” and about 120 and still wears a women’s small, but could use a medium so if and when I buy more I will buy her that size. I bought an XL for myself and really should’ve bought an XXL so honestly I don’t wear mine much and tbh it doesn’t provide enough front coverage for me.

Thinx is super popular here, but tbh I don’t spend $250 a year on maxi pads or tampons ($25 x 5 pairs or so) so I haven’t tried them for myself and I haven’t bought any for DD1 yet so I really can’t comment on them (plus I wear a thong 98% of the time and thong period underwear holds even less than the non thong versions).

Eta: so I clicked on the Thinx leak below and I want to know what size of tampon they used in their testing because 5 mini tampons holds probably the same as one super or super plus….sorry for the mild hijack)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essnce629
11-03-2021, 12:58 PM
Thinx BTWN. Get the Super Fresh Start Period Kit which has all 3 styles to see which she likes best.

https://www.shethinx.com/pages/btwn

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

klwa
11-03-2021, 01:19 PM
DD1 just started her period this summer. She asked for more of the Thinx BTWN ones that I had gotten her for backup. She prefers to use those on "just in case" days more so than in the thick of the bleeding.

twowhat?
11-03-2021, 01:46 PM
Thinx BTWN. Get the Super Fresh Start Period Kit which has all 3 styles to see which she likes best.

https://www.shethinx.com/pages/btwn

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Yes, we had great luck with this, and then I went back and ordered more of the style DD2 liked best! And the size 15/16 actually fits me and I like them better than the women's Thinx which tend to be too cheeky of a fit for me! The sizing chart was accurate for us, with the hip measurement being the most important.

gymnbomb
11-03-2021, 03:43 PM
Yes, we had great luck with this, and then I went back and ordered more of the style DD2 liked best! And the size 15/16 actually fits me and I like them better than the women's Thinx which tend to be too cheeky of a fit for me! The sizing chart was accurate for us, with the hip measurement being the most important.

I have found the 15/16 b’tween to be about the same size as thinx size small. I will only wear the hipsters (prefer the Air kind) because all the others are too cheeky for me.

Tenasparkl
11-03-2021, 05:02 PM
The brand called Period makes great ones. https://period.co/collections/all

klwa
11-04-2021, 08:23 AM
Also, DD has a pair of the Sleep Shorts from KT by Knix, which I like better than the sleep shorts from Thinx. https://www.knixteen.com/collections/knixteen-underwear/products/sleepover-short#

And i like KT by Knix's version of swimwear better, too.

ged
11-04-2021, 08:42 AM
haven't purchased any of these period underwear partially bc i just dread the thought of washing them. please tell me how that is for you all, IRL.

SnuggleBuggles
11-04-2021, 09:24 AM
haven't purchased any of these period underwear partially bc i just dread the thought of washing them. please tell me how that is for you all, IRL.

You just throw them in like any other underwear. I have the Target sold Thinx and have admittedly gotten ignored the recommended care instructions and just do them with the rest of the laundry. It’s been fine. The idea of them weirded me out initially and I only recently jumped on the bandwagon but they’ve been awesome. eta- I just use them as back up for tampons and on the days where it might be done/starting.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

twowhat?
11-04-2021, 09:29 AM

I've worn cloth pads for years so it doesn't even seem inconvenient to me! I do the "shower stomp" - stomp on them while you're in the shower to get most of the blood out, then put them in a designated bucket, don't even have to bother to wring them out, while you finish showering. These are the same instructions I give to my DD. Then every couple of days throw them in the laundry as if they were normal clothes and hang dry.

For myself, I throw my own cloth pads/undies into the same load of laundry as my clothes because I trust myself to have gotten most, if not all of the blood out in the shower. But for DD, who is lazy, I wash hers in a separate load because I don't trust that she was thorough.

gymnbomb
11-04-2021, 11:14 AM

I rinse in the sink then throw them in with the regular laundry. Admittedly I only use them as backup for my cup and on spotting or just in case days, so I'm not sure how much more "ick" it would be if it were the only product I used.

essnce629
11-04-2021, 12:02 PM
I rinse in the sink then throw them in with the regular laundry. Admittedly I only use them as backup for my cup and on spotting or just in case days, so I'm not sure how much more "ick" it would be if it were the only product I used.

Same. Rinse in the sink and throw in with the regular laundry. I have a "wet bin" (small trash can in the laundry room that wet stuff goes into until I do a load.

klwa
11-04-2021, 01:20 PM
I'm another one who just washes them in the regular laundry, although DD mainly uses them for backup days, so they aren't soaked through. No pre soaking, etc. Just throw in the wash.

Tenasparkl
11-04-2021, 02:10 PM

I like to rinse them in the sink with very hot water and then throw them in the wash.

AnnieW625
11-04-2021, 06:42 PM
I wash Dd1’s in the washing machine. I spray them with spray n wash and hydrogen peroxide if really bad and they are good to go. I do the same when my maxi pads or tampons leak on my regular underwear. If it is really bad I rinse in the sink…..nothing new honestly. Sometimes I have to rinse my jeans as well and spray with hydrogen peroxide.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-05-2021, 11:02 PM
i have a DD who is also 10 and has complained of "cramping" and i'm wondering if her period is coming anytime soon. i think it's impossible bc she's still only 10 but i guess it could be. Yikes.

i ordered a set from KT (Knix Teen) for her and they seem really nice. They have a wide variety of sizes. I got her the 8-10 size. I hope my DD doesn't grow out of them by the time her period actually comes. She is 70 lbs and only 4'7" and so it's all bananas to me that should could be getting her period soon. i didn't get my period until i was nearly 14 (and i was 5'4", 105 lbs ) so it just blows my mind a little

gatorsmom
11-06-2021, 08:15 AM
Also, DD has a pair of the Sleep Shorts from KT by Knix, which I like better than the sleep shorts from Thinx. https://www.knixteen.com/collections/knixteen-underwear/products/sleepover-short#

And i like KT by Knix's version of swimwear better, too.

This is what my dd has. She’s 95# and probably 5’2.” She washes her clothes herself so I’m not sure how she cleans these. I told her I would machine wash and then lay flat to dry to protect the elastic but I’m not sure she is.

She wore the swimsuits during a canoe trip a month ago and only the swimsuit. She said the swim bottoms did a great job of containing all the blood. She also likes the boy shorts for nighttime. I believe she wears the small size in the KT bottoms.