PDA

View Full Version : Update on Covid Vaccination for 11 year olds turning 12 soon

gymnbomb
11-04-2021, 02:40 PM
Quoted from CNN. I found the last point on having the option for either dose if turning 12 between doses interesting.

"The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says kids who turn 12 between shots of Pfizer’s Covid-19 vaccine should get the smaller dose first and the larger dose second.

In general, children ages 5 to 11 can now receive 10-microgram doses, a smaller formulation than the 30-microgram dose given to those 12 and up. CDC’s current recommendation for children turning 12 between doses was previewed during its advisory meeting this week and included in official guidance updated on Wednesday.

“Children should receive the vaccine dosage and formulation based on their age on the day of vaccination with each dose,” the agency now says on its website. “If a child turns 12 years old between their first and second dose, they should receive the age-appropriate 30 µg … for their second dose to complete their series.”

However, if the child gets the same 10 microgram dose both times, they are still considered fully vaccinated.

CDC adds that the authorization granted by the US Food and Drug Administration “allows children who will turn from 11 years to 12 years of age between their first and second dose in the primary regimen to receive, for either dose, either” the 10- or 30-microgram formulations."

carolinacool
11-04-2021, 04:13 PM
Thanks! And I agree -- that last line is interesting.

wendibird22
11-04-2021, 05:42 PM
So my DD2 who turns 12 Dec 16 will get both doses in November and so both doses of 10m. What magically happens 2 weeks later, physiologically, that makes her suddenly more tolerant of the larger dose? I’m keeping her appointment and getting the smaller dose. Since the data they’ve shared indicates it’s as effective as the larger dose with fewer side effects, that seems to be the better choice then waiting several more risky weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carolinacool
11-04-2021, 06:48 PM
So my DD2 who turns 12 Dec 16 will get both doses in November and so both doses of 10m. What magically happens 2 weeks later, physiologically, that makes her suddenly more tolerant of the larger dose? I’m keeping her appointment and getting the smaller dose. Since the data they’ve shared indicates it’s as effective as the larger dose with fewer side effects, that seems to be the better choice then waiting several more risky weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure, but to make DH happy we’re going to split the difference. Instead of getting his second shot at 21 days, he’ll get it at 25 days and get the larger dosage. After this was posted, I actually got a callback from the pharmacist at Publix who confirmed this.

I don’t think it really matters at all, but it’s important to DH and in our case, it’s just waiting four more days.