PDA

View Full Version : Update in Post #16: WWYD vaccine trial question

MSWR0319
11-05-2021, 11:01 AM
DS is part of the trial for the Pfizer vaccine. We finally got unblinded this morning (he got placebo) and they can’t get him in for his shot until late next week or early the week after. I can get him a shot locally on Monday. It’s a 2.5 hour drive to the trial site which I’m fine with if they could get us in timely, but I’m a bit frustrated with the organization of this site. Would you continue and wait for the appointment or withdraw and get his shot ASAP?

elizamom
11-05-2021, 11:06 AM
Tough call. I think if it were my kid and he was attending a 'mask optional' school, I'd probably pull him from the trial and get drive the 2.5 hours to get him protected.

KpbS
11-05-2021, 11:15 AM
I’d go with whichever is the closer option and call it good since he doesn’t have much exposure now.

carolinamama
11-05-2021, 11:20 AM
Ugh what a tough situation. I understand the desire to vaccinate ASAP and also the feeling of responsibility to the trial. Are you in an area with reasonable precautions? Masking and high vaccination rates among those eligible so far? That would make me slightly more comfortable with waiting a bit longer.

MSWR0319
11-05-2021, 11:24 AM
Ugh what a tough situation. I understand the desire to vaccinate ASAP and also the feeling of responsibility to the trial. Are you in an area with reasonable precautions? Masking and high vaccination rates among those eligible so far? That would make me slightly more comfortable with waiting a bit longer.

No. We are at 700 cases per 100K, no protocols. People being hospitalized and vented daily. 40% vaccination rate. We're nothing short of a hot mess here :rotflmao:

bisous
11-05-2021, 11:29 AM
Is it in your capacity to hole up for the next two weeks? If not I would probably pick the faster option. Or call the site and use your interest in getting a quick shot as some "leverage" for a quicker resolution through the trial?

Philly Mom
11-05-2021, 11:38 AM
I would get the first shot. You did your part in the study. Go get the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

carolinamama
11-05-2021, 11:40 AM
No. We are at 700 cases per 100K, no protocols. People being hospitalized and vented daily. 40% vaccination rate. We're nothing short of a hot mess here :rotflmao:

In this case, go get the vaccine Monday and don't feel badly. The only thing I may do is contact the trial site, explain your plan since they can't offer an earlier time and give them one last chance to vaccinate quicker. Otherwise, thank you for participating in the study. You all are part of the reason we are vaccinating kids now and should feel good about that.

Snow mom
11-05-2021, 11:42 AM
So if you receive the vaccine elsewhere they take you out of the study, even though it's the same really as receiving the vaccine from their site? How frustrating! I'm totally not in the same position at all, but I had an appointment for DS tomorrow and ended up cancelling it in favor of an appointment a few days later at a location I prefer.

I'd like to believe I would wait and continue to take part in the study. I tried to get DS into a study but we never heard back. I really believe that these studies are necessary and when I input his information I acknowledged in my head that I was accepting a personal risk to him/ our family unit in order to allow research to move forward.

gymnbomb
11-05-2021, 11:43 AM
In this case, go get the vaccine Monday and don't feel badly. The only thing I may do is contact the trial site, explain your plan since they can't offer an earlier time and give them one last chance to vaccinate quicker. Otherwise, thank you for participating in the study. You all are part of the reason we are vaccinating kids now and should feel good about that.

Yes, this! And thank you OP for helping get the vaccine approved for all of our kids!

jgenie
11-05-2021, 11:49 AM
Go get his shot. Call the study to let them know you are going Monday to see if they can move you up. If they can’t move you up, you did your best. Thank you for participating in the trial. I am so very grateful!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

MSWR0319
11-05-2021, 12:03 PM
I'd like to believe I would wait and continue to take part in the study. I tried to get DS into a study but we never heard back. I really believe that these studies are necessary and when I input his information I acknowledged in my head that I was accepting a personal risk to him/ our family unit in order to allow research to move forward.

This is why I'm feeling guilty. This trial site is very unorganized I'm quickly seeing. I just talked to my friend who's child was also in the trial many hours away, and they were unblinded (placebo) and vaccinated already. It was like pulling teeth to get him unblinded. DH tried to call them to see if there is anyway to get in sooner and they couldn't find anyone to talk to us or a phone to leave a message. She finally agreed to take our phone number and have someone call us. I'm not upset at all that we got placebo. I'm just irritated that they can't get us vaccinated sooner considering they told us they would get us in as soon as the EUA was approved if we got placebo.

ged
11-05-2021, 12:13 PM
Ugh. So frustrating. Thank you for doing your part - but at this point, tough cookies. I'd get the shot on Monday. If I had bandwidth leftover I'd send an email to someone complaining and hope they learn from their mistakes.

JustMe
11-05-2021, 12:13 PM
I am sorry that you are in this position as the site is so unorganized, etc. I do not blame you for being frustrated about that.

I can see why you are so torn. You are not doing anything wrong if you get your ds the vaccine asap. In your shoes, I would either want to do that or be even more cautious until he got the vaccine (which may not be possible).

Do what feels the best for you. Thanks to you and your ds for helping get our kids safe vaccines. You made a difference whatever you choose.

essnce629
11-05-2021, 12:19 PM
You can get the vaccine on Monday and it's locally so no 2.5 hour drive correct? I see no dilemma. Go Monday.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

MSWR0319
11-05-2021, 12:54 PM
Update: They did call us back. We told them we could get it sooner and she said "Then we suggest just unenrolling and getting is locally." She was very nice and asked no other questions, which made me feel ok about our decision.

JustMe
11-05-2021, 06:36 PM
Great update! Thanks again for participating!

twowhat?
11-05-2021, 10:25 PM
You tried hard to stay on study. It's too bad that trial site is so unorganized. But you definitely need to look out for yourselves at this point. Get your DS vaccinated and celebrate!!! THANK YOU for your contributions to science!!!