PDA

View Full Version : Close contact exposure/vaccine

ezcc
11-05-2021, 02:33 PM
DS was notified yesterday that he is a close contact of a positive case at school. He is quarantined for 10 days. Anyone know what the current recommendation is on the vaccine? Does he need to wait 10 days (longer?) before he can get his shot? Such a bummer, his school has been doing very well with only a case or two here and there-then his class exploded with 8 cases out of 30 kids. It's weird because I don't think anyone has symptoms- they caught it all in the weekly testing. Fortunately he seems fine, so hoping he stays well. Such a fluke, they are being very careful with masks etc to have this happen the very week vaccines are available is so frustrating!

gymnbomb
11-05-2021, 03:02 PM
I believe he only needs to wait until he is no longer in quarantine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSWR0319
11-05-2021, 03:06 PM
I would say he can’t get it till after the 10 days since he’s in quarantine.

ezcc
11-05-2021, 03:12 PM
ok, that's what I thought. Thanks!

Snow mom
11-05-2021, 04:15 PM
If he has an appointment I would call. My kids got their flu shot while my DD (who is vaxed) was being monitored for close contact--she isn't quarantined because she is vaxed but we are supposed to monitor her daily for symptoms. Honestly, she's been in this status more days since school started than not, and we aren't even in a particularly high covid area. The clinic probably has policies in place if he has a known exposure but no symptoms and those policies might depend on who is likely to be exposed to him and how during vaccination (as well as the risk of vaccinating him and then finding out the next day he is positive.)

MSWR0319
11-05-2021, 05:34 PM
If he has an appointment I would call. My kids got their flu shot while my DD (who is vaxed) was being monitored for close contact--she isn't quarantined because she is vaxed but we are supposed to monitor her daily for symptoms. Honestly, she's been in this status more days since school started than not, and we aren't even in a particularly high covid area. The clinic probably has policies in place if he has a known exposure but no symptoms and those policies might depend on who is likely to be exposed to him and how during vaccination (as well as the risk of vaccinating him and then finding out the next day he is positive.)

I would think it's different if you're in the same household as someone who is exposed, but not required due to vaccination status, vs someone who is a direct contact and not vaccinated since he is required to quarantine which means not leaving the house or being around others. Around here you are not to be coming in if you've been considered a close contact within 14 days.

Snow mom
11-05-2021, 06:19 PM
I would think it's different if you're in the same household as someone who is exposed, but not required due to vaccination status, vs someone who is a direct contact and not vaccinated since he is required to quarantine which means not leaving the house or being around others. Around here you are not to be coming in if you've been considered a close contact within 14 days.
I should have been clearer that DD was a close contact and received her flu shot with the blessing of the pediatrician. Our clinic was drive through (so low risk for the masked staff) and she’s vaccinated. It’s been difficult to navigate the close contact stuff because it’s become such a common thing with having her exposed to 100+ kids a day. That’s why I’ve learned to ask. I do disclose everything I know.

Snow mom
11-09-2021, 02:33 PM
I thought of this thread, because I just got the dreaded phone call that DS was a close contact at school on 11/5. He was vaccinated yesterday morning, without my knowledge that he was waltzing through half his quarantine. He will be tested daily at school for the rest of the week and hopefully we don’t have to think about whether he had COVID at the time of vaccination.

ezcc
11-09-2021, 06:24 PM
Well around half the kids in Ds's class went ahead and got their vaccine and they knew they were in quarantine! Some of them even had drs tell them it was ok to do. I get it- people don't want to wait and the guidelines are kind of confusing. I am confident it will work out for you and all of them :) DS is scheduled for Saturday, which is day 11 for him. As far as I know there has been no spread beyond the original 8- I am suspicious that there was a social event or sports that they were all participating in and that's how it spread since there has been zero school spread aside from this class.