PDA

View Full Version : A bit of an ordeal but dd2 got her 1st shot!

doberbrat
11-06-2021, 05:06 PM
I feel so sorry for Walgreens workers. We go there and the people in front of us were having issues b/c they needed a booster but the computer wouldnt allow it b/c they originally got a J&J shot. Then, apparently, I'd used dd1's birth year accidentally which screwed everything up. I offered to make another appt but they said no, they could make it work. Then, for some reason, the ins wouldnt cover the shot? They ended up having to do it without ins. We were the store's 1st pediatric patient! 2 people had to watch the shot being drawn up. The pharmacist asked to to come back and check in after the 15min since we were #1. I got a bag of Lindt chocolate for them because I could see that it was a rough day and it was only going to get worse. The pharmacist had tears in her eyes.

I too got teary. I've been so worried for dd2 - I feel like the end is near. Anyways, if you have to go to a pharmacy that does shots, try to go when they're not giving them (or covid tests) and give them extra grace. It kind of s%cks for them right now.

For dose 2, I'll cancel the appt I have and rebook for after she turns 12 (it will be 28ish days later rather than 21)

:cheerleader1::yay::cheerleader1:

MSWR0319
11-06-2021, 05:19 PM
Congrats! Our Walmart opened up appointments this morning and I just happened to check soon after I think. We were also the first pediatric patient and when DS told them he was actually in the trial but got the placebo they were so wonderful with him thanking him for doing it. He needed it because ever since we found out yesterday that it was placebo he was so upset that he didn’t do anything good for the world since it wasn’t the real shot. He’s not grasping that being in the placebo group was just as important.

I agree that a sense of relief washed over me. I posted a picture of DS getting his shot and have had three people message me that they also signed their kids up because they know I research things. I’m so happy that we were able to influence a few people. The vaccination rate here is very bad (40%) so I wasn’t expecting many kids to get them. We’re getting there one shot at a time.

sf333
11-06-2021, 06:29 PM
Yay! We also had our youngest get their shots today and it is such a great feeling! I love seeing my FB feed with shots of kids getting vaxed.

I stalked various pharmacy sites to get them in quickly and was pleasantly surprised to see how fast the initial slots got taken. I imagine that will slow down pretty quickly but it’s nice to see for now.

georgiegirl
11-06-2021, 06:44 PM
Glad she got it! DS2 got his today (also Walgreens). He said he didn’t even feel it

Snow mom
11-06-2021, 07:16 PM
Congrats on getting your first one done! This kind of reaffirms my decision to cancel at Walgreen’s and wait for the ped who was able to get us in Monday morning. I figured he’ll be home all weekend so no exposure risk in those few days. I know it’s going to be a rough couple days for the folks at our ped too, but I know DS will be more comfortable there and at least he won’t give them a hard time.

NCGrandma
11-06-2021, 08:03 PM
DGD2 has her 1st shot appointment tomorrow at a CVS near their house! She probably won’t be the first at that CVS, but pretty close. The important part is how excited she will be [emoji40]

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

carolinamama
11-06-2021, 08:27 PM
Yay!!! DD got her shot today too! We went through her pediatrician so definitely not their first but all the nurses, receptionists, and others in there were so excited to be vaccinating the younger kids.

jgenie
11-06-2021, 08:47 PM
So exciting! DS2 got his vaccine this morning too!! We went to a vaccine fair through a local hospital. It was so well run! The appointments started at 7:00 and ran through 4:00. They spaced appointments well. We didn’t end up in a line at all. Walked right in, did our paperwork, he got the shot and then we had to sit in observation. Less than 30 minutes from entering the building to exiting the building.

wendibird22
11-06-2021, 09:37 PM
DD2 got hers at Walgreens today. Thankfully it’s a small town store and they seemed prepared to handle the crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myira
11-06-2021, 11:22 PM
My DS also got his 1st shot yesterday evening unexpectedly. A friend who is a physician had the info that 3-4 shots were available at a location and would be wasted if kids didn’t show up. We rushed there in 15 mins and DS got the shot. He was so excited that he wanted to announce it to everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

gymnbomb
11-07-2021, 10:39 AM
Great news! DS got his on Friday at a state run mass vaccination site. When I went there in April it was run by the National Guard, but is not anymore. He was a little scared, but also very excited about it. I got my booster at the same time and I have to say it hurt a lot more than my first 2 shots did. Not sure if the difference was a different type of needle or a different person administering it.

They had a separate line and vaccination tables for kids, so we went through the adult line first and then the kids line. He had no side effects at all from the first dose. I was wiped out yesterday from my booster but and back to normal today.

3 weeks puts him at Thanksgiving weekend when his grandparents are visiting from out of town. I will schedule his second dose for the following Friday which will be 4 weeks. I want him to be able to enjoy his time with his grandparents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NCGrandma
11-07-2021, 04:07 PM
And another success to report!! DGD2 just got hers at a CVS near their house, and she's giving a big thumbs up in the resulting photo!! Looks like CVS has a small observation area with coloring materials etc — very calm (probably much more so than the mass vaccination site!).

Plenty of time to get her 2nd dose before they come visit 🥰🥰🥰🥰

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

niccig
11-07-2021, 05:29 PM
Thank you!!! I work Saturdays in pediatric inpatient rehabilitation ward. I’ve worked with patients who could’ve been vaccinated but weren’t. They’ve been recovering from COVID for months with significant cognitive impairments. It is heartbreaking.

candaceb
11-07-2021, 10:25 PM
I had DS scheduled for 3:30 tomorrow at a local non-chain pharmacy. Yesterday he asked if we could go today. I started looking around while watching the Michigan-Indiana football game last night and snagged an appt at a WalMart 30 mins away at the exact same moment as Michigan scored a touchdown.
Totally uneventful getting the shot. He needed a new pop socket so we shopped for that during the 15 minute wait. I told him he could pay for it or he could have that as his post-covid vax treat. He chose to pay for it and stop at a cotton candy shop on the way back. At the shop, everyone gets a free cone of cotton candy, and then I told DS he could pick something to take home. He picked a bottle of Boylan's soda. When the owner heard that it was a post-covid vax treat, he said it was on the house. So, lucky boy got me to pay for the popsocket, got cotton candy, and fancy soda.

KpbS
11-07-2021, 10:40 PM
Yay!

DD got her first shot Sat. It was pretty busy at our local children’s hospital. She did great and was relieved to not have any problems from it. She was pretty scared of the vaccine for some reason and worried she might die. :hug5:

klwa
11-08-2021, 09:06 AM
DD2 got her first shot at Walgreens on Saturday! We were a later appointment in the day, so they had worked out any kinks they may have had earlier. The pharmacy tech who was checking us in was a bit over worked (she was checking people in and manning the drive thru because the only other tech was new), but got us checked in without issue. There was one child in the exam/shot room when we got there and he came out happy with a sucker and a sticker. Then we saw the pahrmacist run back, do a few checks on the work the techs had done and then head straight back into the exam room to call DD2 in. Five minutes later, we were on our way back out with sucker & sticker in hand, to walk around the store for 15 minutes.

SnuggleBuggles
11-08-2021, 10:05 AM
Ds2 got vaccinated as soon as he was eligible last May/June and I loved the experience of being around other families that were making the same vaccine choice. And, it was great to be one more step closer to having our whole family vaccinated.