PDA

View Full Version : Flumist at national chain pharmacies

Snow mom
11-07-2021, 08:55 AM
I’m trying to wade through finding flumist for myself and even though there is a finder tool online, I’m having a tough time determining if it is offered through any national pharmacies. Whether there is a generic or secondary brand I should be searching for? I’m pro-vaccine, but my first COVID shot left me with pain and reduced range of motion/strength in my non-dominant arm. When my arm still hurt at the time of my second dose I didn’t fully comprehend that it would still hurt seven months later. So now I find myself pro-vaccine, but really afraid to get my flu shot. The mist would be a great solution for the moment, but it either isn’t offered in my area or I’m just not searching correctly. Has anyone received it this year as an adult (I am under the age cutoff, although I get the impression it’s more available in the pediatric population)?

KpbS
11-07-2021, 09:19 AM
https://www.flumistquadrivalent.com/nasal-spray-flu-vaccine/where-to-find-flumist.html

The notes say it’s approved for ages two through 49 and I’m guessing you fit into that category. Any luck using the ZIP Code finder? The website says to check Sam’s Club pharmacies, Bartel drugs and Kinney drug stores.

Not sure of your city, but there were several locations when I typed in a zip for a major city in the NE. :)

I’m sorry about your arm! I don’t blame you for wanting the mist.

AnnieW625
11-07-2021, 09:50 AM
If you use the 10 mile finder in my area it comes up with one surgery center, one doctor, one pediatric practice, two local pharmacies, and a private health provider run by the Seventh Day Adventist church. If you go up to 20 you get the local teaching hospital, a few more pediatric groups and doctors but the only National pharmacy is still Sam’s Club. I looked in my old area of Los Angeles and again a bunch of smaller facilities but Sam’s Club is the only national pharmacy. If you have a Sam’s Club near you would it be worth it to investigate the cost of membership and then the cost of the flu must? When I had a Sam’s Club Groupon membership a few years ago I actually liked it a lot but then they renovated the Walmart’s near me and added more grocery items so I didn’t renew but it might be worth investigating.

So sorry to hear about your arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gymnbomb
11-07-2021, 10:31 AM
If you use the 10 mile finder in my area it comes up with one surgery center, one doctor, one pediatric practice, two local pharmacies, and a private health provider run by the Seventh Day Adventist church. If you go up to 20 you get the local teaching hospital, a few more pediatric groups and doctors but the only National pharmacy is still Sam’s Club. I looked in my old area of Los Angeles and again a bunch of smaller facilities but Sam’s Club is the only national pharmacy. If you have a Sam’s Club near you would it be worth it to investigate the cost of membership and then the cost of the flu must? When I had a Sam’s Club Groupon membership a few years ago I actually liked it a lot but then they renovated the Walmart’s near me and added more grocery items so I didn’t renew but it might be worth investigating.

So sorry to hear about your arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is also worth checking to see if you can use the pharmacy at Sams Club for vaccination without a membership.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twowhat?
11-07-2021, 11:02 AM
Ask your child's pediatrician. The years we've gotten the mist, we have always gotten from the pediatrician and they happily vaccinate parents/caregivers/adult family members.

newnana
11-07-2021, 11:11 AM
The finder seems to be inaccurate in our area. DD has gotten it at Costco in the past. Even though Costco wasn't listed in the finder I called them and they had it. I set up an appointment online, and even though it looked like only the shot was available via the online portal, when it asked for preferred arm I specified flumist.

Fwiw, I had the flu shot and for the first time ever I wasn't sore at all. I had my third moderna Friday and am significantly less sore than the first 2.

Good luck. Would highly recommend calling around.

zukeypur
11-09-2021, 01:23 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your lingering arm soreness.

If you are considering the flumist, make sure you are not in contact with anyone who is immunocompromised. I can't remember how long, but I think it's 2-3 weeks that you have to stay away from them.

AngB
11-09-2021, 08:44 PM
The finder seems to be inaccurate in our area. DD has gotten it at Costco in the past. Even though Costco wasn't listed in the finder I called them and they had it. I set up an appointment online, and even though it looked like only the shot was available via the online portal, when it asked for preferred arm I specified flumist.

Fwiw, I had the flu shot and for the first time ever I wasn't sore at all. I had my third moderna Friday and am significantly less sore than the first 2.

Good luck. Would highly recommend calling around.

Thanks for this. We got flumist last year at Costco and just assumed it wasn't there this year because of the finder.

KpbS
11-10-2021, 11:07 AM
OP, any luck in finding the flu mist?

Snow mom
11-12-2021, 12:38 PM
OP, any luck in finding the flu mist?
Unfortunately I haven't had any luck. This thread was still very helpful in giving me hope that it's worth asking everywhere, but none of the pharmacies I've asked carry it or know of anywhere local that does. I also reached out to the public health nurse at our town flu clinic and she confirmed they don't have it and the state vaccine tracker doesn't show it as available within 25 miles (which is the max search radius). I pointed out to her how difficult it was to find locally and asked that they consider adding it in the future as I think this is somewhere where more options would be helpful. It just seems really unpopular locally. Our pediatrician carried it until it was pulled by the FDA several years ago, and while that turned out to just be a blip, they never started carrying it again.