PDA

View Full Version : Costco vs Sam's Club

hellokitty
11-14-2021, 11:13 AM
I will be starting a new job in a larger city with Costco and commuting. Currently, we have a Sam's Club membership (because that is all we have locally). I haven't been to Costco in years, and even then it was just tagging along with family members who have a membership, so I didn't have a clear idea of their selection and pricing.

Is it worth it for me to get a Costco membership? I will literally drive past it twice a day during my commute. I know that they have good prices on fuel.

What other items does Costco have that beat out Sam's club in terms of selection? I'm going to guess that general food is less expensive at Sam's, but it seems like Costco has a better selection. We won't get rid of our Sam's membership, because locally they are the cheapest for fuel, I'm just wondering if it is worth it to get a Costco membership in addition to Sam's membership. We've got 3 tween/teen boys, so less we go through generous quantities of food!

Thanks!

Kindra178
11-14-2021, 11:20 AM
I’m a Costco fan. Fruit, certain meats, paper products, honey are sone of usual purchases. Street tacos and stuffed peppers are great easy dinner options.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

SnuggleBuggles
11-14-2021, 11:21 AM
I have been a Costco member for a good while and have only been to 3 Costcos so not sure how good my sample size is. But, I went with my friend to Sam's and was surprised by how much smaller it was. There was just less of everything compared to Costco. You can go in and look around at Costco as a non-member, I think. I left my Sam's tour with confirmation that Costco was better though. :)

bcafe
11-14-2021, 11:53 AM
I used to be a Costco member for years and years, however, when we moved there was only a Sam's. I like it fine for certain things, but if I drove past a Costco twice a day, I would renew my membership!

AnnieW625
11-14-2021, 12:25 PM
I have been a Costco member for 20 years….I joined when you still needed an association membership to join (the prior CEO was a graduate of my university and our alumni association was on the association list) so I joined right out of college. Costco is great and they do have everything so we go about every two months and buy staples and snacks from there: meats, bread, cheese, canned tomato products, canned beans and chili, laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, TP and paper towels (if we are close to being out of stock…..otherwise you aren’t saving much vs. Target/Walmart prices and you have to have room to store it). Non food wise I do like some of their clothing offerings (currently Danskin leggings, Colorado Clothing skorts, Dh likes their undershirts, socks and underwear, shearling slippers for DD2 whose feet haven’t stopped growing), Natural Calm (best price), flea meds for my dog are cheaper than Chewy and I also almost exclusively buy my gas at Costco because it is a good 20-40 cents cheaper than the regular chains here (I was buying my gas at Costco when I was single….always a great value). Also their warranty coverage for appliances gives an extra piece of mind (although we haven’t had to use it yet). My main issue with Costco now is that it is almost always crowded and tbh there are some things that we don’t need to be supersizing like fruits and veggies because even though we eat a lot we still don’t eat it all. I find their supersized fruits and veggies go bad quicker than ones from the regular store because sometimes it is just too much. I also live about 7 miles from two of them and prefer one to the other but I still have to plan on what I really need and can’t pop on in like I used to in my old area (when I was 2 miles from it). Not all Costco’s are the same or have the same offerings.

I had a Sam’s Club membership (Groupon) in for a year around 2015-2017 (I honestly can’t remember the exact year) and it was fine and while it was smaller it did have some advantages to Costco. I liked that they had brand name snacks (my family loves Doritos and at Costco you couldn’t buy a single large size bag of Doritos then….only the snack pack boxes), they had a nice cheese section, and their meats and produce was nice as well. I also liked that even on a Sunday afternoon it was never horribly crowded. I ended up not renewing my membership when it expired because they completed the Walmart renovations when they expanded the food offerings at my local Walmart but I didn’t hate the membership when I had it. I haven’t ruled out getting it again and right now AmEx has a refund off a new membership so I might do it again especially since it will give me another option for gas.

ETA: I have had an executive membership since 2010 or 2011 and every year my goal is to get at least $65 back on the yearly rebate check so it covers the cost of the executive membership and I have always gotten between $60-$100 back but this year I got $120. This can only be used in store for merchandise or food and can’t be cashed out like the credit card rebate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
11-14-2021, 12:32 PM
"I have never heard of Costco street tacos."

they're with the other Costco brand prepared grab and go food, like sandwiches and salads.

Friday night is the secret to low crowds if you can't do a weekday morning.

AnnieW625
11-14-2021, 12:35 PM
"I have never heard of Costco street tacos."

they're with the other Costco brand prepared grab and go food, like sandwiches and salads.

Friday night is the secret to low crowds if you can't do a weekday morning.

I looked it up and yes I remember seeing those, but have never bought them. And yes Friday evenings are a decent time to go to Costco, but sadly that hasn’t happened in a while due to kids activities.

wencit
11-14-2021, 12:43 PM
I've never been to a Sam's Club, so I can't compare, but I love love love Costco! We actually have an Executive Membership, which earns us 2% back on our purchases. We spend enough at Costco that our membership pays for itself through the annual reward, so our membership is "free." I love Costco at this time of year, when they bring in lots of special holiday yummies. With 2 teenage/tweenage boys, I buy tons of food basics - milk, eggs, meat, bread, yogurt, cheese, fruit, etc. They have a pretty good organic selection, too. Costco is the cheapest gas in town, hands down. The lines can be long, especially now when fuel is so expensive, but I go early or late, so it's not too bad. They have an extremely generous return policy (though I am careful not to abuse it), and I love that they pay their employees a living wage.

I agree with a PP that you should go in and check it out to see if you like it.

ETA: Just remembered another reason I love Costco. $5 rotisserie chicken! $1.50 for a hot dog plus soda! A huge pizza for $10! I then cancel out those junk food calories with a 50lb bag of avocados. LOL!

DualvansMommy
11-14-2021, 01:11 PM
Another fan of Costco. When I moved to my town, the nearest costco wasn’t as easy and always out of way for me with 20 mins drive.

Now another one opened by me that’s much closer and part of my daily errand route, as well work. I go there monthly to get juice, water, paper towels, TP, seasonal stuff (last month bought boys their winter jackets for only 20 bucks and it tend to last them 2-3 winters. I buy certain meats like their chicken thighs. Completely worthwhile to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Percycat
11-14-2021, 02:05 PM
I have both and I have premium memberships and credit cards with both. Our rewards pay for our membership. I like both for different reasons. Sam's Club is generally more convenient --- there are more locations throughout my metropolitan area and it is closer to my home. Plus, I liked being able to go to Sam's Club at 7:30am pre-Covid with my plus membership. Sam's Club generally has better hours. And, if you like the Scan-and-Go app, shopping at Sam's Club is efficient.

Truth be told, there are two Costco's within 20 minutes of my house and I like shopping there too. I usually buy my milk and eggs at Costco. If you have the executive membership, they add a year to the warranty on TVs and electronics. The gas price is good too. And super easy return policy --- but Sam's Club's return policy seems to be on par.

Generally, I think I buy more food at Sam's (they have the street taco kit too), more clothes and household items at Costco, and gas equally.

lisa928
11-14-2021, 02:15 PM
If you have a Costco gift card you can shop without a membership. Maybe someone you know can buy you one for say $100 and you can experience it first hand to help with you decision.

Liquor is another favorite for us at Costco.

carolinamama
11-14-2021, 03:07 PM
I've never been in a Sam's Club so take my opinion with a grain of salt....
Costco is pretty great as long as it's convenient for you. The produce is generally pretty good, we like some of the prepared foods (DD loves their mac and cheese and she's picky) and I love some of the non-food finds. Last year I bought a new table and chairs set for my patio a bit on a whim and it's worked out so well. My only gripe is that they don't open until 10:00 am because I'd like to stop in around 8:00 after I drop off my kids but that's probably not a big deal for most people. I could probably live without my membership but it's nice to have, especially if you already know you like warehouse shopping.

smilequeen
11-14-2021, 03:25 PM
We don’t do either anymore, but Costco a million times. We had a Costco membership for a short time. Now I just ask my mom to grab some things when she goes. I want nothing to do with the Walmart family.

WatchingThemGrow
11-14-2021, 03:48 PM
I have both and I have premium memberships and credit cards with both. Our rewards pay for our membership. I like both for different reasons. Sam's Club is generally more convenient --- there are more locations throughout my metropolitan area and it is closer to my home. Plus, I liked being able to go to Sam's Club at 7:30am pre-Covid with my plus membership. Sam's Club generally has better hours. And, if you like the Scan-and-Go app, shopping at Sam's Club is efficient.

Truth be told, there are two Costco's within 20 minutes of my house and I like shopping there too. I usually buy my milk and eggs at Costco. If you have the executive membership, they add a year to the warranty on TVs and electronics. The gas price is good too. And super easy return policy --- but Sam's Club's return policy seems to be on par.

Generally, I think I buy more food at Sam's (they have the street taco kit too), more clothes and household items at Costco, and gas equally.

This 100x I use both all the time, but more food at sams but clothes, gas, and whatnot at both. Executive memberships at both get us big rewards. Just ordered an Apple Watch 7 at sams because their price was $384.xx with free shipping whereas Costco had 389.xx and $5 shipping. Both stores all the way is the best of both worlds.

jgenie
11-14-2021, 04:22 PM
I have a membership to both. I love Costco for eggs, organic milk, mozzarella cheese, grass fed butter, beets, prosciutto, rotisserie chicken, spices, Better Than Bouillon, fresh fruit and veggies. We go through most of the produce before it has a chance to go bad and it’s significantly cheaper than our local grocery store. I don’t live near a Costco so it’s a trek to get there but I tend to go every other week. I love Sam’s for their early hours, online order pickup and scan & go option. I can’t believe Costco hasn’t jumped on the scan and go bandwagon. It’s so convenient! I will buy some fruit and veggies at Sam’s but the freshness doesn’t compare to the freshness at Costco. Produce from Sam’s seems to go bad so much faster than produce from Costco. I tend to run in to pick up things if we’ve run out between Costco runs. I love the 7:30 hours for executive members. So convenient to be able to run in after school drop off.

gymnbomb
11-14-2021, 04:30 PM
I prefer Costco, but wouldn’t pay for a membership if I already had one for Sam’s that was much closer to home.

bcafe
11-14-2021, 05:11 PM
Sam's scan and go is life changing!

sariana
11-14-2021, 05:44 PM
I think Costco will let you do a trial day. You can check it out to see if your local store would be a good fit for you.

Costco is known for treating its employees well and attempting to source its products responsibly.

AngB
11-14-2021, 06:20 PM
Sam's scan and go is life changing!

Sam's in general is WAY more convenient than Costco. Our store is like 25 minutes away and we almost never go because it's always packed and crazy and not worth the hassle. I have my mom get a couple things (my kids love their rolled up sandwich trays) because she's closer and goes. We like it okay for bigger things in case we want to return (ie. I bought a Christmas tree there that was the same my mom had and recommended. Well the week before Christmas it's lights freaking stopped working (and we tried replacing numerous bulbs but the tree had a lot of bad reviews so I don't think it was just us) and it was only like 3 weeks old. I was not about to undecorate the tree to return before Christmas so we waited until after Christmas and returned it. They weren't happy about it but accepted it. I got my roomba ,etc. from there on purpose because I knew if it stopped working I could return easily enough. (I didn't and barely ever return things but I just like knowing I can if we need to, on stuff that's more expensive.)

essnce629
11-14-2021, 07:51 PM
Not a fan of Walmart/Sam's and will avoid at all costs if possible (very easy in LA). We only had Sam's Club when we lived in Charlottesville but i was much happier to go back to Costco once we moved back to CA. Last time I went to Walmart (in Walla Walla, WA in August) I experienced a racist encounter which made me want to never again step foot in another Walmart/Sam's.

carolinacool
11-14-2021, 08:02 PM
We’ve been Costco members for 15 years or so but only go a few times a year. I went a couple of times this summer and need to renew the membership tomorrow. About eight years ago, I got a really good deal on a Sam’s Club membership, so we joined for the year. Overall I prefer Costco – I remember not loving Sam’s Club customer service. That said, there were a couple things that I really liked about Sam’s Club, both in the bakery department. I really liked its wide selection of cakes and cake designs. There was a time that I seem to be buying cakes frequently, and I always hate how limited Costco’s options are. And frankly, I think Sam’s Club tastes just as good. I also like that Sam’s Club has sweet potato pies for Thanksgiving because my family grew up eating those instead of pumpkin.

bisous
11-14-2021, 08:10 PM
I have a lot of friends that swear by Sams Club and want us to join. There are coupons for a "free" membership ($45 membership with $45 GC to apply immediately--so essentially free) that I'm considering getting. I LIVE for Costco though. It isn't a convenient store but there are so many things we get there that are just so much cheaper that it pains me to buy them anywhere else. Toilet paper. Butter. Almond Milk. Tons more I can't think of. And our executive membership pays for itself each year we use it so much. The Costco sized offerings are also perfect for our family of 6 with 2 teenagers and kids getting older and eating more.

But you've already carved out a system without a Costco, so I don't know if you'd use it. They don't open until 10 on weekdays and they close at 5 on the weekends (or something crazy early). The parking lots are awful.

The service is great (except for appliance delivery, ugh!) and they do have happy, well-cared for employees. I'm grateful to them because when things were crazy during the pandemic they put safety protocols into place early and kept them there despite criticism.

NCGrandma
11-14-2021, 08:11 PM
We’ve been Costco members for 15 years or so but only go a few times a year. I went a couple of times this summer and need to renew the membership tomorrow. About eight years ago, I got a really good deal on a Sam’s Club membership, so we joined for the year. Overall I prefer Costco – I remember not loving Sam’s Club customer service. That said, there were a couple things that I really liked about Sam’s Club, both in the bakery department. I really liked its wide selection of cakes and cake designs. There was a time that I seem to be buying cakes frequently, and I always hate how limited Costco’s options are. And frankly, I think Sam’s Club tastes just as good. I also like that Sam’s Club has sweet potato pies for Thanksgiving because my family grew up eating those instead of pumpkin.

Any BBB'ers who live in other parts of the country — do your Sam's Clubs sell sweet potato pies? [emoji1][emoji1]

At my CCRC, there has been much discussion lately between longtime NC residents and recent imports about the pros and cons of sweet potato pie!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

carolinacool
11-14-2021, 08:31 PM
Any BBB'ers who live in other parts of the country — do your Sam's Clubs sell sweet potato pies? [emoji1][emoji1]

At my CCRC, there has been much discussion lately between longtime NC residents and recent imports about the pros and cons of sweet potato pie!

There is no con! :rotflmao:

Growing up, I always heard about people eating pumpkin pies via TV, but nobody in any branch of my family or extended circle in my small town did. I’m sure it’s southern, but I also think it’s somewhat cultural. Black folks do a lot of things with sweet potatoes and yams around the holidays.:ROTFLMAO:

I was just so happy to find it at Sam’s Club that year because I had volunteered to bring a few pies home to my parents’ house for Thanksgiving and all Costco had was pumpkin. And this was a couple of years before Patti Labelle brought her sweet potato pie to Walmart.

KrisM
11-14-2021, 08:58 PM
I've tried both and prefer Sam's. I find it so much easier to shop at. They have signs so you can find things and that just drives me crazy at Costco. I spent so much time trying to find what aisle I needed. I realize it's only a few more minutes, but I just find it frustrating. We tend to like more of the name brand foods for packaged things, so Kirkland didn't work for us. Thankfully they do have a good return policy and I started returning instead of giving away things we tried and disliked. But, being able to order online and use Shop and Scan just make it worth it. I can go grab something for dinner and be in-and-out in 10 minutes easily. At Costco I felt like I needed to fill my cart because the lines were always so long!

I had a bad experience with Costco customer service, but I am sure that was the exception to their normal service.

Melaine
11-15-2021, 02:00 PM
I had not been to Sam's in years until recently. We got a free membership so I have been a handful of times. I think they have upped their game in recent years but I still so much prefer Costco! Customer service is amazing, Sam's is well, Walmart. So there ya go.

But as for products we get so many things there I cannot even list them! We save enough on meat alone to justify a membership. With gasoline savings and Costco visa rewards we make so much money back the membership cost is well beyond paid. We love it.

AnnieW625
11-15-2021, 03:39 PM
I had not been to Sam's in years until recently. We got a free membership so I have been a handful of times. I think they have upped their game in recent years but I still so much prefer Costco! Customer service is amazing, Sam's is well, Walmart. So there ya go.

But as for products we get so many things there I cannot even list them! We save enough on meat alone to justify a membership. With gasoline savings and Costco visa rewards we make so much money back the membership cost is well beyond paid. We love it.

Yes meat prices are insane all of the sudden. I have been really trying to shop locally and adore the meat counter at the regional chain (Stater Bros.) I usually shop at but at this point I think I am going to have to invest in a food saver and start buying my meat exclusively at Costco. Other than bagged chicken and ground meat I have always bought all other meat from the store. The store charged me $10.99 a pound for bacon last week….I found an old package (about 1/2 gone) from late September (that had gotten lost in the back of the fridge) that was only $7.99 a lb. . And prior to that I think had been paying maybe $6 a lb. for bacon.

kali
11-15-2021, 03:57 PM
I've never had a Sam's membership, so can't directly compare. I love Costco but you have to compare prices with regular stores. For example, they have beautiful produce, but for many things you can do better at a grocery store. They have great prices on meat and seafood and they put a lot of effort into making sure their frozen seafood is sustainable. Alcohol is also very reasonably priced and their Kirkland brand wines, beer, and liquor are great quality. Actually almost all their Kirkland brand stuff is very high quality.

My take on Costco is that you can buy high quality items at mid quality prices. If you weren't going to buy the high end stuff maybe Costco wouldn't actually save you money. So if you usually buy Bounty paper towels you can get those or the Kirkland paper towels (which are better IMO) for less at Costco. If you prefer to save the most money and are happy with Brawny or store brand then Costco doesn't benefit you. You won't find great prices on Budweiser because they don't even carry Budweiser, but you can find great deals on imported beers and microbrews. Which doesn't help you if you prefer Budweiser. If you want to buy a $20 bottle of rose for $13-$15 then Costco is a great place to shop but I usually buy a $7 bottle at Trader Joe's.

One area where Costco can save you a lot of money is travel. I almost always find the cheapest car rental prices through Costco travel, and you get 2 drivers without any additional fees. We've booked 2 all-inclusive vacations through them as well. For the travel packages, the price is usually a bit better than you can find elsewhere but then they also throw in goodies like free airport transfers and resort credits. On one one of our vacations we didn't use all the resort credits and I think we got the balance back somehow. It was a while ago but I think we got the money back as Costco gift cards.

hellokitty
11-15-2021, 10:12 PM
Thank you everyone for sharing! Those of you who have both memberships are the enablers I'm looking for. ��

ang79
11-16-2021, 08:00 PM
I currently have Sam's and had BJ's in the past, but no local Costco to try. The closest ones are at least 30 min. away so I just don't think I would use it much. I love the self checkout lines at Sams, have not yet tried Scan and Go. I also love purchasing online or from the app and doing curbside pick up. Most the fresh fruit/veggies we get are good. I often pick up rotisserie chicken and scalloped potatoes for a quick meal. We like some of the Sams Club brand foods (French Toast Sticks, Mozzarella Sticks). I've had their cakes and cookies for parties and they are good for store bought. I also like to get their veggie tray and fruit/cheese tray for parties. I don't tend to get paper goods there as the bulk amount is so large (I typically get the Target brand of those things). We have found random books and shoe/clothing items a few times but not something I normally get there (hate that we can't try stuff on before purchase).

KpbS
11-17-2021, 01:07 AM
Thank you everyone for sharing! Those of you who have both memberships are the enablers I'm looking for. ��

:ROTFLMAO:
This is where I'm at now too. We have only ever had Sam's in our area but this summer Costco built a huge store. It is always slammed. Some friends have joined. I'm thinking on it.

mom2binsd
11-17-2021, 09:26 PM
There is a Sam's on my way home/5 min from home so super handy, Costco is either 45 min (highway driving) in other cities so I have Sam's. They just had a 20 membership offer (15 off through Groupon) and I needed to renew (had let it lapse for a month or so). Sam's has great 4.98 huge Rotisserie Chickens, good deals on the regular beer/Menage a trois wine is always 6.98 and the red blend is my fav), their Members Mark toilet paper is a great deal at 19.98 for enough to last our family of 3 for 5 months. I have found quite a few soft, cozy and cute fleece/soft tops/hoodies and some awesome buttery soft leggings too, super cheap. I do self check out and recently did scan and go, it's so simple. Our Sam's is very well kept, and never busy (I don't ever go on a Sat but even on Sunday it's not busy). Also gas is cheapest there.

I occasionally tag along with a friend to Costco, and may get a membership, as one is near DD in her college town and the other one is near where DS plays hockey a few times a week, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I love all the "fun" stuff Costco has and their seafood is usually great too.

zukeypur
11-18-2021, 03:12 PM
There is a Sams about 20 minutes away, and Costco is 30 minutes away (three of them, actually). I shop at Costco. First, because I HATE walmart and refuse to shop at any walmart store. Second, because I LOVE Costco! We go about once every month or two for stockpiling TP, papertowels, canned goods, cooking oils and spices, coffee, meats, etc, but we also shop online from Costco quite often. We originally bought a Costco membership when we were TV shopping about 13 years ago because it was cheaper to buy the membership and shop there than no membership and shop elsewhere. Since then we have bought a shed, furniture, TV's, microwaves, instantpot, tires, and basically every other thing in the house from there. Meds, clothes, shoes, makeup and skincare, sunscreen, snacks, EVERYTHING. In fact, I'm waiting on a microwave to arrive today. OH, and my laptop was from Costco, which was great because the previous one stopped working the week that the world shut down in 2020, and they let me return it (after 8 months) instead of sending it in for repair. We also order two day delivery groceries for some things that we use a lot of.
The first few years, our reward either paid for or came close to paying for our membership. Now that we have the credit card, we most definitely get enough back to pay for our membership plus part of vacation every year.
We are getting a Costco about 5 minutes from my house, and I can't even tell you how excited I am.

NCGrandma
11-18-2021, 03:55 PM
This thread finally prompted me to look up locations for both Costco and Sam's Club, and I discovered that there appear to be NO locations for either store in the entire state where my family lives. Unlikely but true (unless anyone has any info to the contrary). Also no IKEA or Wegmans [emoji1]

But at least they have CVS and Dunkins galore [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

calebsmama03
11-21-2021, 01:20 AM
I have both - Executive Costco membership and regular SamÂ’s. I do SamÂ’s because itÂ’s almost always possible to get it on a deal with SamÂ’s where the membership ends up being free after a gift card (we just switch back and forth between DH and me as primary) otherwise I wouldnÂ’t pay for both. SamÂ’s has some better deals on produce and I love love LOVE the scan and go app but overall I prefer Costco. The quality is just better in general.

mom2binsd
11-21-2021, 08:03 PM
I am really surprised that Sam's has the better check out procedure- for those who aren't members, almost half of the check outs at my store are self check out, which includes using a hand held gun, so often you can just point at the items in your cart and voila. Costco makes you put the items all on the scale to scan which is such a pain. Sam's also has a scan and go app, you just scan each barcode in your cart on your phone, pay and then show the payment barcode on your phone on your way out (if you buy alcohol it's red and you flash your ID at them). Am really suprised Costco doesn't do this, as the long lines are one of everyone's main complaints.

SnuggleBuggles
11-21-2021, 09:04 PM
I was surprised at the gigantic check out lines at Costco last week- and how no one was in line for self checkout. I always use self check out anyway so it was great and saved a bunch of time. If you have big stuff, the attendant comes over and scans the stuff. But, it would be really nice to be able to scan my stuff another way. Still, I am thankful for any improvements at Costco to help bust those lines!

PunkyBoo
11-21-2021, 10:08 PM
I was surprised at the gigantic check out lines at Costco last week- and how no one was in line for self checkout. I always use self check out anyway so it was great and saved a bunch of time. If you have big stuff, the attendant comes over and scans the stuff. But, it would be really nice to be able to scan my stuff another way. Still, I am thankful for any improvements at Costco to help bust those lines!We have several self-check lines at our Costco but you can't buy any alcohol at them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

hellokitty
11-23-2021, 07:13 PM
I am really surprised that Sam's has the better check out procedure- for those who aren't members, almost half of the check outs at my store are self check out, which includes using a hand held gun, so often you can just point at the items in your cart and voila. Costco makes you put the items all on the scale to scan which is such a pain. Sam's also has a scan and go app, you just scan each barcode in your cart on your phone, pay and then show the payment barcode on your phone on your way out (if you buy alcohol it's red and you flash your ID at them). Am really suprised Costco doesn't do this, as the long lines are one of everyone's main complaints.

Sam's club scan and go for gas and in the store is my favorite. I get to bypass standing in a long line, my stuff is in bags, I flash my phone and get to throw my giant ikea bags of stuff into my trunk.

bisous
11-23-2021, 08:31 PM
Hmm. Interesting that self-checkout is seen as a plus. Do those of you who like it only buy a small amount of stuff? I HATE those things at every other store I've been at. Also, my Costco cart is next level. I can't image trying to unpack and scan that thing myself.

hellokitty
11-23-2021, 08:52 PM
Hmm. Interesting that self-checkout is seen as a plus. Do those of you who like it only buy a small amount of stuff? I HATE those things at every other store I've been at. Also, my Costco cart is next level. I can't image trying to unpack and scan that thing myself.

Self checkout is different than scan and go. Scan and go is literally scanning it as I put it into my basket, and then when I am finished I slide, "pay" and I walk out and show my QR code. No unpacking anything until I get to my car.

bisous
11-23-2021, 09:06 PM
Self checkout is different than scan and go. Scan and go is literally scanning it as I put it into my basket, and then when I am finished I slide, "pay" and I walk out and show my QR code. No unpacking anything until I get to my car.

Got it! That is much better!

SnuggleBuggles
11-23-2021, 09:38 PM

I don’t mind it. If I have a ton of stuff I might opt for a regular line but i like self check out. And I’d like scan and go even more. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

carolinamama
11-23-2021, 10:42 PM
Sam's club scan and go for gas and in the store is my favorite. I get to bypass standing in a long line, my stuff is in bags, I flash my phone and get to throw my giant ikea bags of stuff into my trunk.

This scan and go sounds absolutely awesome. It would definitely influence my decision to shop at certain places.

WatchingThemGrow
11-24-2021, 10:48 AM
For scan and go, I just do it all at the end, in a vacant side-aisle or have one kid scan and one kid count. I love having all the receipts way back from May 2017!

sadbunny
11-24-2021, 11:40 AM
[QUOTE=WatchingThemGrow;4410727]For scan and go, I just do it all at the end, in a vacant side-aisle or have one kid scan and one kid count. I love having all the receipts way back from May 2017!

YES-I love scan and go! I've been a Costco member forever (my parents used to go to Price Club) and I still go weekly but I got a "free" Sam's Club membership because of their deals and I've come to appreciate Sam's. It's much easier to get in and out as it's not as busy as Costco and it seems like they've got a better selection of snacks. I also noticed they've got some cool giftable gifts there.

hellokitty
11-24-2021, 03:59 PM
To Costco's credit, the longer they can keep you in the store, the more money they know you will spend. ��

jgenie
11-24-2021, 05:52 PM
To Costco's credit, the longer they can keep you in the store, the more money they know you will spend. ��

:rotflmao: So true!