PDA

View Full Version : Very dry skin on face

wendibird22
11-15-2021, 02:05 PM
Any advice for helping alleviate very very dry skin on my face? I can't get in to the Derm for over a month.

My skins feels extremely parched, and is sometimes flaky, on the skin of my lips (not around my mouth but my actual lip skin but close to the border/edge and not the thicker fleshy part of my lips), the tear lines of my eye (from the corner and down just that tear line, not anywhere on my eyelids), and sometimes the creases of my nose.

I haven't changed any face products. It seems to come and go, lasting a few days, gets better, then returns. It just feels so tight and dehydrated like I can't possibly slather on enough moisturizer. I've tried switching to all Cerave products with hyaluronic acid and even tried Aquaphor on those patches at night. There's no redness or sores. It doesn't hurt, burn, or itch. It feels dry to the touch and I feel like I can just sense the dryness just thinking about the areas. There's just flaky skin, but like only the top layer as if you were peeling from a sunburn, not deep flakes or cracks, and that area of my eyes looks so deeply wrinkled, like you can see how moisture starved the skin looks.

I only wear a tinted moisturizer. I stopped using any setting powder and also stopped eyeshadow. I'm not wearing any lip color, just aquaphor.

I have a feeling it is from mask wearing. I wear cotton Athleta pleated masks that I was after each wear with just Tide and line dry. I don't wear a mask all day long, but do wear it off and on throughout the work day (so 5 days a week) and when in public indoors. I feel like the area that is dry is either touching the mask (my lips) or in the direct path of my breath when I talk/breathe...the creases of my nose and directly up to my tear line. I can literally feel my breath exit up between my eyes lol.

I've been bringing aquaphor, First Aid Beauty moisturizer, and now Cerave moisturizer to work and keep slathering it on throughout the day and my skin just feels constantly dry. The rest of my face (forehead, cheeks, chin), body, hands are completely fine.

AnnieW625
11-15-2021, 03:31 PM
I don’t have an IUD but did you have this issue before the IUD?

If you aren’t using retinols, a glycolic face peel or AHA products then I have no idea what might be causing the issues. Can you at least send photos to your derm so they can at least see what is going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kali
11-15-2021, 04:05 PM
That tight feeling and flakiness sounds like it could be an allergic reaction. Can you get in to see your primary care provider? I had something similar a couple of years ago and they helped me trouble shoot what might be causing it and prescribed a course of prednisone.

ETA: the lip thing could be a yeast overgrowth. I've had that too and learned that constantly reapplying lip balm was actually making it worse. An antifungal cream cleared it up.

wendibird22
11-15-2021, 04:28 PM
I don’t have an IUD but did you have this issue before the IUD?

If you aren’t using retinols, a glycolic face peel or AHA products then I have no idea what might be causing the issues. Can you at least send photos to your derm so they can at least see what is going on?

No no peals or AHA products or other products known to dry out the skin. And it started before the IUD and would resolve but then come back. Now that it has turned cold and heat is on at home and work, I'm finding it seems worse.

That tight feeling and flakiness sounds like it could be an allergic reaction. Can you get in to see your primary care provider? I had something similar a couple of years ago and they helped me trouble shoot what might be causing it and prescribed a course of prednisone.

ETA: the lip thing could be a yeast overgrowth. I've had that too and learned that constantly reapplying lip balm was actually making it worse. An antifungal cream cleared it up.

Hadn't thought about my PCP, but that's a possibility to see if I can get in sooner. The derm doesn't do telehealth. Because I haven't been to this Derm in 3 yrs (um, hello pandemic!) they said they have to consider me a new patient and therefore wait longer for an appointment.

carolinamama
11-15-2021, 07:11 PM
It could be a reaction to the detergent or the flakiness almost makes me wonder if it's fungal in nature from your breath and moisture under the mask. I'd try some OTC antifungal cream (lotrimin etc) for a few days to see if it improves. And switch to disposable masks and change after each use. Toss or wash your current masks on high heat and with vinegar to kill any possible yeast. Of course it may just be dry skin.

Your PCP might be worth a visit since you can't get in with the derm for so long.

hillview
11-15-2021, 09:57 PM
I like the idea of trying paper masks for a week or 2. I moved to them and I have less skin issues with paper masks.

smilequeen
11-16-2021, 11:05 AM
I had this issue over the last year on and off too. I think my skin is becoming more sensitive as I age. The first thing I did was really up my water intake, like double. I was obsessive about it. I use these products when things act up

https://www.skinceuticals.com/hydrating-b5-gel-635494117004.html

In the worst spots (for me it’s the area between my eyes and my hairline, forehead, nose) https://www.skinceuticals.com/epidermal-repair-883140021674.html

At night
https://www.skinceuticals.com/hydra-balm-883140501015.html

And I did a moisturizing mask every few days. I got this one in one of the fab fit fun boxes and I like it

https://www.ahava.com/products/hydration-cream-mask

Laneige lip masks are nice too https://www.sephora.com/product/lip-sleeping-mask-P420652

acmom
11-16-2021, 12:32 PM
I have started to experience patches of very dry, flaky skin as I age as well. :( I also have very sensitive skin. I found many things I tried were either not hydrating enough to do anything or had a scent or ingredient that was too harsh and made the issue worse. Cold weather and masking both seem to make it worse as well.

I have found that this specific neutrogena product helps a lot. https://www.neutrogena.com/products/skincare/neutrogena-hydro-boost-gel-cream-with-hyaluronic-acid-for-extra-dry-skin/6811048.html

There are several versions of it, but only this sensitive skin, fragrance free, extra-dry one works for me!

boilermakermom
11-16-2021, 01:03 PM
I had something similar about a year ago. I ditched cloth masks, went with disposable.

Which Cerave are you using? I typically use the PM as a daily moisturizer, but it didn't do much to help. I switched to the Cerave night cream, and then layered Aquaphor over it. Aquaphor isn't moisturizing, but it does make a good occlusive layer.

I also doubled my water intake and cut back on sodium rich foods.

wendibird22
11-16-2021, 02:05 PM
I switched to paper mask today and will stick with that and see if that helps. I was able to get an appointment with my PCP end of day Friday so we will see what she says.

Bought cerave face wash (the dry skin one) and will use that with just a warm water splash to rinse (I was previously using make up eraser clothes with my First Aid Beauty wash). I also bought straight up petroleum jelly to use on the driest of spots overnight but that just sits on top and does nothing. Still woke up with dry skin in the corners and under my eyes.

I’m using the cerave serum and first aid beauty cream on my face and cerave eye cream under eyes. Considering buying the cerave cream for at night.

candaceb
11-16-2021, 06:07 PM
It sounds like there may be something going on besides straight up dry skin, but I have super sensitive dry skin and a chemical allergy (to methylisothiazolinone) that limits what I can use. My derm has me use Cetaphil moisturizing cream - the kind in the big tub - in the winter.
With all the different products you're trying it seems like you could risk exacerbating the issue. I would back off and simpify to see if you can narrow down the problem. Use the Cerave face wash and then one cream.
Any wipes can cause more problems because they leave behind more chemicals, plus they have more ingredients.