PDA

View Full Version : Nonfiction recommendation for teen

MaiseyDog
11-18-2021, 12:11 PM
Every year for Christmas our kids get a book on Christmas Eve along with new pajamas. My youngest DD (age 14) really prefers nonfiction books, history and biographies in particular, and I'm at a loss as to what might be something good. She has recently finished I Am Malala and is currently reading The Freedom Walkers. Does anyone have any good recommendation for this age group. Thanks!

lizzywednesday
11-18-2021, 12:41 PM
I really liked John Lewis's March graphic novels (https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/series/1MA/march); the first volume of follow-up, Run, was published in August 2021 (https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2021/08/02/john-lewis-graphic-novel-run/). Congressman Lewis had been finishing on the book with his team in the months before he died; it was very important to him to leave a "road map" of sorts for future generations.

She may also enjoy the Hidden Figures young readers' edition - I read the adult version a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

This one's weird, and it's not written for kids, but Mary Roach's Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers is funny and informative - it's all about the science of dead bodies. If that would disturb her, I'd recommend Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void, which is about the space program, although I think there are bits that are in dire need of an update! I also recommend Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal, which is about food, eating, health, and the digestive system. (I would skip Bonk and Spook for the time being; Grunt made me cry while I got angry and I haven't read Fuzz, which just came out this month, yet.)

Does she have specific topics or people she'd like to know more about? That can also help narrow things down a bit.

bisous
11-18-2021, 12:49 PM
All four of my kids get excited by this book. It could definitely work for a 14yo and is highly readable. Huge fave!

https://www.amazon.com/What-If-Scientific-Hypothetical-Questions/dp/0544272994/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=what+if+book&qid=1637254059&sr=8-2

ETA: This is not biography or history though--it is a science book. :)

wendibird22
11-18-2021, 12:51 PM
My girls have the younger reader editions of Kamala's and Michelle Obama's biographies, though at 14 she probably doesn't need the younger reader version. My Own Words (by RBG) is a great book.

gymnbomb
11-18-2021, 12:58 PM
I really liked John Lewis's March graphic novels (https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/series/1MA/march); the first volume of follow-up, Run, was published in August 2021 (https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2021/08/02/john-lewis-graphic-novel-run/). Congressman Lewis had been finishing on the book with his team in the months before he died; it was very important to him to leave a "road map" of sorts for future generations.

She may also enjoy the Hidden Figures young readers' edition - I read the adult version a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

This one's weird, and it's not written for kids, but Mary Roach's Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers is funny and informative - it's all about the science of dead bodies. If that would disturb her, I'd recommend Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void, which is about the space program, although I think there are bits that are in dire need of an update! I also recommend Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal, which is about food, eating, health, and the digestive system. (I would skip Bonk and Spook for the time being; Grunt made me cry while I got angry and I haven't read Fuzz, which just came out this month, yet.)

Does she have specific topics or people she'd like to know more about? That can also help narrow things down a bit.

I loved Hidden Figures and Stiff. I just downloaded Packing for Mars onto my Kindle, thanks for the recommendation!

Edit: I see there's a "for kids" version of Packing for Mars coming out in April. I bet DS would love that.

Philly Mom
11-18-2021, 01:07 PM
Every year for Christmas our kids get a book on Christmas Eve along with new pajamas. My youngest DD (age 14) really prefers nonfiction books, history and biographies in particular, and I'm at a loss as to what might be something good. She has recently finished I Am Malala and is currently reading The Freedom Walkers. Does anyone have any good recommendation for this age group. Thanks!

As a kid, I loved Katherine Graham's autobiography.

Beneath a Scarlet Sky is a mainly non-fiction book written like a novel. It is wonderful.

I like Mohammad Ali's autobiography.

Also We wish to Inform You that tomorrow we will be killed with our families

lizzywednesday
11-18-2021, 01:22 PM
I loved Hidden Figures and Stiff. I just downloaded Packing for Mars onto my Kindle, thanks for the recommendation!

Seriously, if you enjoy Mary Roach's style, Packing for Mars, Bonk (which is about sex, so adults only/use your judgment please), Gulp, and Grunt (about soldiers, weaponry, body armor, and the consequences of war - as well as the absolute sh!tshow the postwar/veteran experience can be for too many soldiers who come home; read it and you'll see why I got angry AND cried!) are well worth the time invested.

Spook, her book taking a look at the way we construct an afterlife, is weaker than the others, but the spiritualism chapters make a great pairing with Alan Finn's Things Half in Shadow!

jgenie
11-18-2021, 03:47 PM

Thank you for the March recommendation. I’m buying it for one of my DC. Not sure if it’ll go to my 14 yo or my 12 yo.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

gobadgers
11-18-2021, 04:07 PM
The Lady is a Spy by Bob Mitchell - about Virginia Hall during WW2

Trevor Noah's autobiography has a young reader edition, so does Stamped.

My two (12 and 14YO) liked What If... and March as well!

pakin
11-18-2021, 04:16 PM
Trevor Noah's book is great.

"Running for My Life" by Lopez Lomong is very good.

lizzywednesday
11-18-2021, 05:28 PM
Thank you for the March recommendation. I’m buying it for one of my DC. Not sure if it’ll go to my 14 yo or my 12 yo...

It's one of the most moving comics I've ever read; I also recommend George Takei's They Called Us Enemy, which I read during the same summer.

You know your kids best, but I'd pre-read to make a decision if you have any question. The art is black-and-white and very spare, but I felt it was very powerful. It's not graphic like a color spread would be, but the violence comes across.

If you have an eReader, they work as eComics (not my favorite format, but it'll keep your kids spoiler-free ... and new copies crease-free.)

Twoboos
11-18-2021, 08:27 PM
Trevor Noah's book is great.

This book was so good. Laugh out loud funny and yet made you think.

My daughter loved Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. Each chapter is a different story. It influenced her to strongly consider psychology as her college major.

ahisma
11-18-2021, 09:52 PM
Proud by Ibtihaj Muhammad is incredible. No need to go with the Young Readers edition - it's teen-friendly.

jgenie
11-18-2021, 11:54 PM
Proud by Ibtihaj Muhammad is incredible. No need to go with the Young Readers edition - it's teen-friendly.

Thank you! Just ordered this for my DC.

lizzywednesday
11-19-2021, 11:15 AM

I'm so excited about this one; I have to put it on my TBR.