PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about HUMIDIFIERS!

bisous
11-19-2021, 08:30 PM
My sister lives in Canada and her skin, hair and plants (hah!) are doing poorly in their very carefully controlled new condo. She thinks a humidifier would really help.

Anybody got any advice for living with a humidifier or recommendations? This is totally new territory for me!

Thanks!

candaceb
11-21-2021, 04:04 PM
A whole house humidifier that attaches to the HVAC system has been the best $600 we ever spent. It makes the whole house more comfortable and we only have to think about it a couple of times a year. It usually only needs to be adjusted if we get a long especially cold period, but that only happens about once per winter.

wendibird22
11-21-2021, 07:09 PM
A whole house humidifier that attaches to the HVAC system has been the best $600 we ever spent. It makes the whole house more comfortable and we only have to think about it a couple of times a year. It usually only needs to be adjusted if we get a long especially cold period, but that only happens about once per winter.

We are NYers and love our whole house humidifier. We have to replace the pad once a year and decalcify it once or twice a winter (with vinegar). Considering our heating season is November through March, it’s worth the investment to not have to run, clean, maintain individual room humidifiers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisous
11-21-2021, 07:20 PM
Thanks for chiming in guys! I’ll mention that to my sister. She does own a condo and I wonder if they have rules for stuff like that! She lives in Vancouver—not an arid climate! But it’s a new build and the heating is very “tight” for lack of a better word. I wonder if she shouldn’t just plan on having the balcony (it’s got an overhang!) door open a couple of hours a day?

But maybe all cold places feel dry inside? I live in the land where we never run our heater and the window is open year round. We only used humidifiers for sick kids and they were tough to keep in top shape.

Thanks!!

nfceagles
11-21-2021, 09:18 PM
What kind of heat does she have? I would love a whole house humidifier but while we have central AC, we have radiators for heat and winter is when we need to humidify. So a whole house unit may not be an option. We have a Kenmore unit that we have to fill with several gallons a day. It helps a lot, but I hate having to fill it constantly and change the filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk