PDA

View Full Version : Favorite WoolX pieces?

jgenie
11-19-2021, 08:43 PM
I have smartwool tops and bottoms. I’m interested in trying out WoolX. Which pieces are your favorites?

Melaine
11-19-2021, 09:26 PM
So far I have the McKenna leggings and a couple tanks. I really like them. I also bought three shirts on Poshmark but ended up selling them, mostly because I realized the colors were not good for me (I’m a winter and it seems like there are mostly warm colors right now on their site). I loved the way the Jenny shirt fit me particularly, so I will watch for it in blackZ I really like the stuff I have and signed up as an affiliate so I can make you a 22% off code, if you want one. Looking at the joggers or maybe a hoodie next. I’m new to wool relatively and really excited about being able to wear and rewear with less laundry.

basil
11-20-2021, 09:39 AM
I have the Stella leggings and the Piper leggings. Wool really "agrees" with me though my DH can't stand it, so YMMV if it works with your tolerance and chemistry, etc.

I bought the Stella first (before Piper was available), and wore them a ton last winter. They have held up remarkably well. They are IMO a bit of a dressier legging, if there is such a thing! They have a wide elastic waistband and seams up the back of the legs, and all the seams are flat. Even after a lot of wear including running and skiing and sleeping and everything, they have no pilling at all.

But for lounging I really like to carry my phone in the side pocket, especially in summer when I'm not wearing a hoodie/sweatshirt/shirt with pockets, so I bought Piper. The material is the same but the seams are different. They are a serged seam like a regular athleisure legging. I've also worn them a ton. They look fine but the seams do show the wear a bit more than the Stellas. It's still less pilling than a normal polyester Costco legging though. I would wear the Stellas to work with a tunic/longish sweater, but not ever the Pipers. But I reach for the Pipers if I'm hanging around the house.

I also have the Ryann hoodie, which is nice, and some underwear. I haven't bought any shirts because I got a great deal on some Costco 100% merino shirts at some point for like $20 each.

Every day I come home and change out of my scrubs, I put on the Piper leggings, a wool blend sports bra from Ibex, my Costco long sleeved shirt, the Ryann hoodie, and some wool socks and I am comfy and warm :)

Melaine
11-20-2021, 10:14 AM
22% off through nov. 27th use code WINDSORPEAK

marinkitty
11-20-2021, 04:04 PM
Just my two cents and personal experience, but I don't think WoolX stuff holds up nearly as well as SmartWool does. We have a fair amount of wool stuff - true base layers, hooded tunics, quarter zips, leggings - and our SmartWool has all held up exceedingly well to tough wear and tear and careless laundering (we tend to be pretty tough on our things in ski season when we are trying to get everyone's stuff washed and turned around fast for the next day, so there is NO babying of the wool around here). We have less WoolX stuff but it looks more worn out after 2 to 3 years than our Smartwool does after a decade! It's pricier but I think you get what you pay for, especially with the non-base layer stuff.

jgenie
11-20-2021, 05:17 PM
Just my two cents and personal experience, but I don't think WoolX stuff holds up nearly as well as SmartWool does. We have a fair amount of wool stuff - true base layers, hooded tunics, quarter zips, leggings - and our SmartWool has all held up exceedingly well to tough wear and tear and careless laundering (we tend to be pretty tough on our things in ski season when we are trying to get everyone's stuff washed and turned around fast for the next day, so there is NO babying of the wool around here). We have less WoolX stuff but it looks more worn out after 2 to 3 years than our Smartwool does after a decade! It's pricier but I think you get what you pay for, especially with the non-base layer stuff.

Thanks so much for sharing. I picked up a bunch of smartwool pieces this summer for a steal - 60% and 70% off. I may just wait to see how they do this season before investing in more.

Melaine
11-20-2021, 07:15 PM

Is SW more than Woolx? I feel like Woolx is really pricey!

robinsmommy
11-20-2021, 08:14 PM
I think Smartwool quality has not been consistent recently. For socks, I go for Darn Tough or other brands, as they seem to hold up better than Smartwool in recent years.

Not sure how that runs across other pieces from them. I’ve started watching for wool pieces at the thrift store- I do find them now and again- Icebreaker or Smartwool tops for less than $10.

basil
11-20-2021, 08:35 PM
OG Smartwool is hard to beat. I have several pairs of running socks I bought at least 18 years ago that are still going strong. (Bought them off campmor in med school for cheap!) Not sure if current quality holds up or not.

I think in terms of pure durability, 100% merino will probably win out over a blend. But you can't have 100% merino leggings that look like leggings. They will bag. They need the stretch fiber, and that naturally will wear somehow. I have some SW and other base layers of 100% merino and they are comfy, but not leggings. I packed away all my other leggings since buying the Woolx ones, and it would be hard to think of a day I hadn't worn one or the other, even through the summer. (I can't stand my legs touching so I sleep in leggings always). So my CPW is way over Lululemon or other similarly priced leggings.

If you just want ski base layers that last forever, definitely look for something 100% merino. There's a bunch of companies including smart wool, ibex, icebreaker, woolx, meriwool, etc. Pick your price point and you will do fine. The beauty of wool, though, is that you can wear it over and over again without washing, so you may not even need as much as you think you need! :)