PDA

View Full Version : Work holiday gifting thread!

twowhat?
11-26-2021, 04:00 PM
My small group is doing a secret Santa gift exchange. Spending limit is $25. I need ideas for MYSELF because we each have to make a wish list. Help!!! Also opening this up to anyone who needs gift ideas at work. Think "things you would not be embarrassed to give your boss or receive from your boss" :) :)

Peaches Keane
11-26-2021, 05:12 PM
Is there a particular website you like where you could narrow by price?

Example: my siblings used to do this type of exchange. I was into beauty and personal care products at the time and would scroll through drugstore/beauty dot com (no longer in existence) and explore items within that price range. Some e-commerce sites offer this type of searching, some do not.

twowhat?
11-26-2021, 05:22 PM
Is there a particular website you like where you could narrow by price?

Example: my siblings used to do this type of exchange. I was into beauty and personal care products at the time and would scroll through drugstore/beauty dot com (no longer in existence) and explore items within that price range. Some e-commerce sites offer this type of searching, some do not.

Gifts can be from literally anywhere, but I think most will use Amazon since it's easy to create a wish list that way. I'm open to anywhere that offers free shipping. And open to anything I wouldn't be embarrassed to get from my boss (this probably includes most beauty items for me, unfortunately!).

Peaches Keane
11-26-2021, 06:27 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of whatever your interests are: bookstore or whatever.

If you just want random ideas, I think the Uncommon Goods has some really interesting items this year (I usually just browse in order to spark some gift giving ideas. This year, I actually purchased.). I’ve never really done more that a brief glance at the grommets website, but I’ve heard it’s similar for getting gift-giving ideas.

If it were me, I might request:
a book
Paper products (calendar, journal, etc.)
Maybe something craft related (think Michael’s, Hobby Lobby)
Food or beverage things

gamma
11-26-2021, 09:11 PM
A set of flavored olive oil or vinegar is something nice to have on hand.

gatorsmom
11-26-2021, 09:14 PM
Target has a little gift section over by their cards. It’s not big but it has some interesting things. You can find some of it on the Target website if you search for office gifts.

firstbaby
11-26-2021, 10:21 PM
The woman who wrote Beautiful Boards has a new book out - maybe one of those if you like entertaining?

Coffee Run wallet from Athleta

Fun scarf or mittens

Reading light to read in bed at night if you’re a reader

Gift card to favorite coffee shop

Journal / moleskine notebook

California
11-27-2021, 12:27 AM
My boss got me in our work gift exchange last year. From my wish list she picked a gift card to a locally owned, small business brewery. We did teacher happy hours there. She liked supporting a small business, and I used it the next time we went- win for everyone!

twowhat?
11-27-2021, 11:25 AM
Thanks for these ideas! I added a travel journal and pilot pens (love pilot pens!), a portable battery, a book a friend recommended, an Illume candle to try (recommended on another thread), a yoga mat (which I don't have!), a yeti mug (the 10 oz version with handle that's $24.99...I have the 14 oz version and absolutely LOVE it but the 10oz comes with a mag slider lid while the 14 comes with a regular lid), olive oil mister, fun piping tips. I'll add a few more little things if I can think of more.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-27-2021, 11:51 AM
your work is female-dominated, right? i wouldn't be embarrassed about asking for makeup/beauty items. i would take the opportunity to put a link to small gift set from sephora or glossier (Glossier probably out of the $25 range though).

DualvansMommy
11-27-2021, 12:41 PM
Great thread. Our work is doing the same thing and have wish list of everyone so we know what to buy or general theme.

Uncommon good is a great website for unusual or travel related items.

I always request books

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

♥ms.pacman♥
11-27-2021, 12:43 PM
another option - See's Candy. There are number of sets under $25. DD's teacher loves See's Candy and so we get her a small gift box every year.

https://www.sees.com/christmas/gifts-under-30

twowhat?
11-27-2021, 12:49 PM
another option - See's Candy. There are number of sets under $25. DD's teacher loves See's Candy and so we get her a small gift box every year.

https://www.sees.com/christmas/gifts-under-30

Oh, See's is a great idea!! I would have added that but my secret Santa already picked a couple things off my list this morning hahaha. And my current company isn't female-dominated (the last companies I've worked for have been). It's about 55:45 women:men. It's be weird to have my male boss buy beauty products. Well, at least I would feel weird about it. :)

♥ms.pacman♥
11-27-2021, 04:52 PM
Oh, See's is a great idea!! I would have added that but my secret Santa already picked a couple things off my list this morning hahaha. And my current company isn't female-dominated (the last companies I've worked for have been). It's about 55:45 women:men. It's be weird to have my male boss buy beauty products. Well, at least I would feel weird about it. :)

haha, oh i see! makes sense.

i am always jealous of folks who get to participate in secret santa things at work, or group Halloween costumes, and the like . I work in semiconductors/defense industry, which is like very male dominated (like 90/10) , rather old-school, and in my department , like 95 % are over 50 and so holiday things like this are never organized, and if it were, it would indeed be weird. lol.

LD92599
11-27-2021, 08:35 PM
Any suggestions for how to organize this a group of 70 or so employees? If all are interested. Our company went 100% remote during covid so this might be a great "team" activity that I could spearhead. It's a definitely mix of males/females and ages are 18-70+, coast to coast

Kindra178
11-27-2021, 09:40 PM
A set of flavored olive oil or vinegar is something nice to have on hand.

I love getting fancy flavored olive oil!! I don’t usually buy it and I love having it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

twowhat?
11-28-2021, 12:23 AM
Any suggestions for how to organize this a group of 70 or so employees? If all are interested. Our company went 100% remote during covid so this might be a great "team" activity that I could spearhead. It's a definitely mix of males/females and ages are 18-70+, coast to coast

We are using Elfster. It's my first time using it and so far it is really easy to use. You create a wish list for yourself, and Elfster does the hard work in terms of randomly assigning secret Santas. Someone has to be the organizer, and can include a note on spending limit, deadlines, etc. The organizer can include all 70 in the gift exchange, and only those who opt in to participate will actually participate.

LD92599
11-29-2021, 10:54 AM
We are using Elfster. It's my first time using it and so far it is really easy to use. You create a wish list for yourself, and Elfster does the hard work in terms of randomly assigning secret Santas. Someone has to be the organizer, and can include a note on spending limit, deadlines, etc. The organizer can include all 70 in the gift exchange, and only those who opt in to participate will actually participate.

Oh that makes it super easy!