PDA

View Full Version : Have you all gotten your booster shots yet?

ang79
11-27-2021, 10:34 PM
This came up at our late family Thanksgiving today. DH and I’ll had our second Moderna shot on May 7. So almost to the 7 month mark. Cases are rising here but we don’t go many places, as we both work from home. I still mask in stores and church, he does not. He is also going on a church retreat the weekend of Dec. 10, And we are traveling to see family and attend an outdoor Christmas festival next weekend. We are staying in a rental and will just Bedouin g short visits wit various family members, though not all are vaccinated. I’m starting to think maybe we should both go get our booster this week, but I don’t want to worry about bad side effects during the work week (we both felt miserable for 2-3 days after our second shots). He is also recovering from a mystery illness (tested negative for Covid) of fever, headache, chills, sweats, aches, etc. also unsure if we should stick with Moderna or try Pfizer for the booster. Just curious if many have gotten their booster yet and how bad side effects were (especially if you had bad side effects after the first 2 shots)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgenie
11-27-2021, 10:44 PM
DH & I both got our boosters at the six month mark almost to the day. I didn't have a reaction to the first or second Pfizer shot. I felt tired and run down with the third on the day after. Napped for several hours then back to normal. DH didn't mention any side affects. He got his booster on a Monday afternoon and worked regular schedule the remainder of the week. If I'm not mistaken he actually had a business trip that week as well. DH didn't have a reaction to either of his intiial Pfizer doses. DS2 got his second shot today. Woohoo!! We are still masking in public and avoiding crowds. DS1 is our most vulnerable since his second shot was early June and he's not eligible for a booster yet.

ang79
11-27-2021, 11:09 PM
DH & I both got our boosters at the six month mark almost to the day. I didn't have a reaction to the first or second Pfizer shot. I felt tired and run down with the third on the day after. Napped for several hours then back to normal. DH didn't mention any side affects. He got his booster on a Monday afternoon and worked regular schedule the remainder of the week. If I'm not mistaken he actually had a business trip that week as well. DH didn't have a reaction to either of his intiial Pfizer doses. DS2 got his second shot today. Woohoo!! We are still masking in public and avoiding crowds. DS1 is our most vulnerable since his second shot was early June and he's not eligible for a booster yet.

My girls got their shots beginning of June too. Our school is currently masking but the governor’s mandate is set to end Dec. 4 unless there is another appeal to a higher court. It seems crazy to me to end the mandate between holidays when people will be traveling. Especially with this new variant now showing up in several countries.

georgiegirl
11-27-2021, 11:11 PM
I would most definitely get a booster. Probably Moderna in your case.

We got boosted once it was available, 6 no for my, 9 mo for DH (he got his shot the first week it was available).

NCGrandma
11-27-2021, 11:34 PM
One of the disadvantages of being old and thus able to get the first 2 (Moderna) doses so early (January and February) is the much longer interval before boosters were available. We got Moderna boosters in early November, just a week short of 9 months after dose 2. Fewer side effects with the booster than the previous doses (maybe because the Moderna booster is a lower dose?)

At my CCRC, we’re all still masking for all indoor activities (except in the dining room while actually eating), and many of us are also masking outdoors. However, a number of our vaxx’ed and boostered neighbors are traveling over T'giving. Even though it should be fine, I’m a bit concerned about seeing them when they return.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

SnuggleBuggles
11-28-2021, 12:28 AM
We are heading out of town mid-week next week and we might go for our boosters on Monday. Dh got his booster a while back so just ds2 and I would be going. Ds1 should be scheduling his too.

KrisM
11-28-2021, 12:37 AM
We are heading out of town mid-week next week and we might go for our boosters on Monday. Dh got his booster a while back so just ds2 and I would be going. Ds1 should be scheduling his too.Can kids get boosters? I need to look up who can and when.

None of us got a booster yet but I plan to this week if possible. I am 8 months out. DH is a week behind me.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

niccig
11-28-2021, 12:58 AM
I got the booster the first day it was available. I had my 2nd shot in January. I had Pfizer and had a sore arm. DH was knocked low by Moderna shots and by the booster too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

robinsmommy
11-28-2021, 01:03 AM
We did on Wednesday. Moderna. My first two doses hit me hard (headaches for several days and a couple icky days at the front end) this one was easier - I had one icky day the day after, the second day and today I felt normal with ibuprofen aside from a mildly sore arm.

DH had one day of a bit of fatigue and a really sore arm, and then was pretty much fine.

I attribute much of the sore arm to the person giving the shots. She was pretty stabby with the needle. Won't go back there for any other shots!

StantonHyde
11-28-2021, 01:22 AM
I work in healthcare and there were 2 booster clinics at work so I jumped in to get mine. From my small sample. people are saying they had about half the reaction that they had to the second shot. More sore arms though. My kids will get theirs over Xmas break so that taking a lazy day or two won't be a problem.

gatorsmom
11-28-2021, 01:42 AM
Dh got his booster at about the 5 month mark. He was sick from the booster. He had bad body aches and flu-like symptoms for 2 days. He had supported the initial 2 vaccinations find so we were surprised at his reaction. All 3 of his shots were Pfizer.

I got my booster about 10 days ago. I got it on the same day as my flu shot which was super convenient and there was no line (yay!) but I felt like crap afterwards for a day. And my arms and shoulders were so sore. I had received the Pfizer vaccination initially but opted for the Moderna booster.

ett
11-28-2021, 02:19 AM
Can kids get boosters? I need to look up who can and when.

None of us got a booster yet but I plan to this week if possible. I am 8 months out. DH is a week behind me.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Ages 18 and older can get boosters.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html

AngB
11-28-2021, 02:31 AM
I had Pfizer in Dec/Jan, got the booster in Oct. (not before that because we were really sick but not covid for a few weeks, and then by the time we were well they were talking about mixing vaccine brands so I waited that out, and also I wanted to hold off a bit to give breastfeeding DD a little more protection through this winter.) Anyway Moderna in Oct. No issues, just a sore arm. My mom had 2 moderna and a moderna booster and was really sick after her second moderna dose. She didn't really have much issue with the booster though, maybe a little achy.

hellokitty
11-28-2021, 08:34 AM
I got my second Moderna shot in March and was so sick with both shots, got COVID arm too. I just got my booster two Fridays ago, but got pfizer this time thinking maybe I would have a less of a reaction. I still felt like crap, headache, fatigue and sore arm, but only for about a day and a half.

My 17 year old had his series done in May, he turns 18 in February and I am having him get his booster. I may have him get Moderna thought since he got pfizer for his first series.

hbridge
11-28-2021, 09:03 AM
DH and I got J&J originally and Moderna boosters as soon as they were approved. DC got the Phizer booster at exactly the 6 month mark at the instruction of the pediatrician (they were newly 18). Very few side effects to the boosters in this house. I react to everything so that was a surprise…

SnuggleBuggles
11-28-2021, 09:25 AM
Ages 18 and older can get boosters.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html

Thanks! I lost track of who was eligible. Ds2 will go when the younger teens are s e then and I’ll actually pay more attention [emoji4]

scrooks
11-28-2021, 10:15 AM
I got my moderna booster yesterday. So far just a sore arm!

SnuggleBuggles
11-28-2021, 10:22 AM
Isn’t the Moderna booster a smaller dose than the Pfizer one? I’ve heard from friends that their Moderna reaction to the booster was minimal but ones who got Pfizer had reactions more like they did to the initial shot. Any merit to that line of thought?

acmom
11-28-2021, 10:52 AM
DH and I both got our Moderna boosters a couple weeks ago - we were about 8 months post 2nd dose. No significant side effects for either of us, besides a sore arm and maybe a little fatigue? We both had initial Moderna shots too.

twowhat?
11-28-2021, 10:59 AM
Yes, as soon as it was available for people with higher risk at the end of September. Pfizer primary, Pfizer booster. This was before mixing was an option. I would have been ok with getting either Pfizer or Moderna as a booster (at first I was a little bummed I didn't wait to get Moderna, but then learned that the Moderna booster dose was half that in the study showing the great booster response). The next time I need a booster, I may go for Moderna because I do think mixing makes good theoretical sense...and if Omicron becomes an issues...yikes.

I had all the same side effects as I did with my 2nd Pfizer, (hit by bus!) but about half as intense :)

AngB
11-28-2021, 11:38 AM
Isn’t the Moderna booster a smaller dose than the Pfizer one? I’ve heard from friends that their Moderna reaction to the booster was minimal but ones who got Pfizer had reactions more like they did to the initial shot. Any merit to that line of thought?

If I remember correctly, the Moderna booster is smaller than the other moderna doses, but slightly bigger than the Pfizer booster. (I think 15 mcg vs. 10?--I could be wrong though.) (I looked it up and the CDC just says it's half the dose of the first two doses, for both vaccines.) The tricky thing is that the data on the Moderna booster efficacy comparing it to Pfizer was with the larger dose (not sure if it was the full dose or what in the data.) So moderna might not be as much better than Pfizer as thought by the data, basically.

wencit
11-28-2021, 12:02 PM
Moderna's initial full strength vaccine is 100mcg. Their booster is 50mcg, so half. All Pfizer doses, both initial and booster, are 30mcg.

I had a sore arm after both my first 2 Pfizer shots, but that was it. My Pfizer booster knocked me out for a day, with fever, chills, headache, body aches, and sore arm. I was really surprised by that, since I didn't have much of a reaction after my initial series. DH, who received Moderna for his initial series and booster, experienced nothing more than a sore arm all 3 times.

ahisma
11-28-2021, 12:10 PM
I had Moderna primary and a third dose (full dose, not booster) of Moderna. I had about 24 hours of headache and fatigue, but nothing awful.

PZMommy
11-28-2021, 01:24 PM
No boosters for my family. I had such a severe reaction from my Pfizer vaccine, my doctor does not want me getting a booster. I had a high fever for 3 days, then started with heart palpitations and severe vertigo lasting for nearly a week. I couldn’t get out of bed, much less function. I honestly feared I was never going to get better. My 12 yr old had a 103 fever for almost a week after his second dose and had to miss a week of school. It was rough.

lizzywednesday
11-28-2021, 02:29 PM
I had my booster on November 10th; at the time, I fell into a high-risk category (I have asthma) so I scheduled mine with the Dep't of Health staff member who phoned. I had Pfizer for my initial series, but the clinic gave me Moderna for my booster. (Mixing mRNA vaccines doesn't seem to have any disadvantages; the only thing I'd have had to be cautious about was receiving a viral vector booster vs receiving an mRNA booster following an mRNA initial series.)

EDIT: I had swollen lymph nodes on the injection side (expected; had them with 2nd dose in initial series), and spent the day after the booster feeling lightheaded & a bit woozy. I went to bed early & was fine the 2nd day out, but the booster really kicked my butt that 1st day!

Kindra178
11-28-2021, 03:39 PM
No. I’m considered to have super immunity so won’t contemplate it til the winter of 2022. My bro, front line covid health care worker, just got his booster last Wednesday. He had no reactions to earlier doses. He was so sick, missed thanksgiving dinner. Bedridden for two days. He literally couldn’t believe the reaction he had.

basil
11-28-2021, 03:51 PM
Yes, both DH and I got it. Neither of us had symptoms except maybe psychosomatic to any of our cumulative 6 doses (Pfizer). Kids are getting their second dose today. My brother and SIL had slight symptoms (12 hours of 100 fever) to their Moderna boosters. My mom had a slight fever/chills to Pfizer #2, but nothing to Pfizer #3, and my dad had nothing to 3 doses of Moderna.

JustMe
11-28-2021, 04:04 PM
Dd and I have both been boosted: all three doses were Moderna. For dose number 2, we both got fevers and felt crappy that evening into the next day and we're then fine. For the booster, we both felt "off" that day but no fever and no specific symptoms. Woke up fine the next day.

ETA:. We did have sore arms with all three doses.

doberbrat
11-28-2021, 04:25 PM
I definitely felt crappy the day after I had the moderna booster. Not awful enough to call in sick but I did go to bed super early. We were talking about it on Thanksgiving and my friend's sil who is a nurse was telling us that she felt horrible for days after her pfizer booster. She said she felt so awful she felt like she was dying. She said she'd never get another booster.

DH hasnt gotten his and I'm not that hopeful I can force the issue. :(

mom2binsd
11-28-2021, 05:04 PM
Yup had my Pfizer about a month or so ago. Most of my coworkers and residents had their Pfizer booster about 2 weeks ago, most were just fine. Honestly, I read about more people on this board having side effects than I do IRL. If any, only one or two with mild and fleeting flu like symptoms (like for 8-12 hrs).

DD who is 18 had hers and her university is holding booster clinics along with regular flu shot clinics all over campus (U of Illinois).

PunkyBoo
11-28-2021, 05:21 PM
Had my booster (Pfizer for all 3) last Friday. I'm still WAH but want peace of mind being around all the grandparents and family for the coming holidays. I drank a big bottle of water with liquid IV immediately after the air and tried to use that arm as much as possible. The arm was sore the next day so I put arnica gel on it and took a regular strength Tylenol then it felt fine and I had no other ill effects.
DH needs to get his still, he works OOH but has been busy so hasn't scheduled it yet.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

WatchingThemGrow
11-28-2021, 05:23 PM
Boostered 2 weeks ago, stayed well-hydrated thanks to tips here, and kept up ibuprofen for arm soreness for 2 days. Went to bed early, but carried on normally for the most part. DH hydrated well and felt nothing.

ncat
11-28-2021, 05:43 PM
I got mine on Wednesday - Moderna (after initial Pfizer vaccine). My arm is still a little sore. I've been tired, but that could be due to just about anything - so much stress for the last several months.

I am more than a little anxious about our household getting COVID since only DD and I are vaccinated.

Snow mom
11-28-2021, 05:46 PM
I was hesitant to get my booster because my non-dominant arm is still hurting from my initial dose in April, but I decided to go ahead and get it (unlikely that my dominant arm would be taken out too because what I understand my issue is a needle injury). Part of it was I wanted to get the flu mist but there’s no where here to get it so I decided to just go ahead and take the (very small) risk of getting my flu shot and covid booster together. My arm was super achy but that’s a common thing with the flu shot and it took about two days for it to hurt less than my other arm. I had a mild/moderate headache for about 36 hours. That was it. Pfizer initial/Pfizer booster.

DH had his booster yesterday morning. He said he was feeling “meh” when he woke up this morning and he was slower to get out of bed, but otherwise he’s seemed okay today. He got Moderna initial/Moderna booster. I think we would have both liked to mix and match but there’s a lot of booster mania around here and that’s just how the appointments worked out.

marinkitty
11-28-2021, 05:49 PM
DH, DD(18) and I all got ours a few weeks ago (we were almost 7 months out from our second shots) - all Moderna 1/2 dose boosters (all Moderna primary series). DH and DD had no side effects other than a sore arm for a couple of days. I had a slight headache about 16 hours later and took a nap and then was fine. DH and I both got our flu shots at the same time, same arm. I was fine after my first shot but in bed for 24 hours with flu like symptoms after my second, other than the sore arm which I've had all three times.

Will booster DS1 and DS2 as soon as under 18 are approved - DS1 is at 7 months now and DS2 is coming up on 6 months next week.

MSWR0319
11-28-2021, 06:11 PM
DH and I both got boostered with Pfizer about a month ago. Pfizer for all doses. I had a pretty rough time with second dose for about 36 hours. I could function if need be, but preferred to lay on the couch and do nothing. Booster wasn't as bad. Slight aches and tiredness but nothing big at all. DH felt fine with all three.

My friend just got her Moderna booster (she had Moderna all three times) and it hit her about 24 hours in. She had swollen lymph nodes this time and felt yucky. She also felt yucky with her second dose, but did not have swollen lymph nodes.

If I could booster DS1 (13) I would. He's 6 months out next week and it's going wild here.

ArizonaGirl
11-28-2021, 09:22 PM
DH and I both got bolstered with Pfizer about a month ago. Pfizer for all doses. I had a pretty rough time with second dose for about 36 hours. I could function if need be, but preferred to lay o the couch and do nothing. Booster wasn't as bad. Slight aches and tiredness but nothing big at all. DH felt fine with all three.

My friend just got her Moderna booster (she had Moderna all three times) and it hit her about 24 hours in. She had swollen lymph nodes this time and felt yucky. She also felt yucky with her second dose, but did not have swiller lymph nodes.

If I could booster DS1 (13) I would. He's 6 months out next week and it's going wild here.

This is us almost exactly.

Both DH and I got our boosters (Pfizer) as soon as our was approved as we were both over 6 months out. I felt crappy after #2 and had swollen lymph nodesafter #3, and DH felt fine after both.

DS is almost 6 months out and I wish I could get himboosters as it is running wild here.

DD gets her second dose on Friday!

Really wish I could get DS boosted tho...

carolinacool
11-28-2021, 09:38 PM
I got my booster earlier this month (all Pfizer). I ended up having a slight fever and some chills. Overall it was better than my reaction to my first shot but worse than a reaction to the second shot. DH is scheduled to get his flu and his booster tomorrow. He had Pfizer the first round but is switching to Moderna for the booster. He didn’t have any reaction for the first two shots outside of a sore arm.

DS is scheduled to get his second Pfizer shot next weekend. I pushed it out a day past his birthday so he’ll get the larger dosage. i’m hopeful that he’ll do OK. I’ve heard that a lot of kids seem to have a reaction after the second shot and I’m concerned since this one will be the higher dosage as well. But I think in the long run it’s probably the better decision

carolinamama
11-28-2021, 09:39 PM
I got my booster about a month or so ago. I felt sluggish and achy after the booster but it was less so than my second shot. My arm was the most sore after my booster. All three of mine were Pfizer. DH got a Moderna booster after initially getting the J&J vaccine. I didn't feel there was any reason to skip the booster, especially since it's so easy to schedule and pop into CVS for a quick jab. We want our kids to be in school, activities and socialize so having the most protection possible seems the smartest right now. I wish boosters were approved for under 18 since my boys will be coming up on 6 months soon.

KpbS
11-28-2021, 10:36 PM
DH and I need to get ours. We stood in line for an hour and a half a a visitation today. We both wore masks but very few others did. I’ve been wondering if we should stick with Pfizer or go with Moderna. I’m a little scared of Moderna truth be told and I’ve been mulling it over in my mind what we should do.

DS1 is 8 mo out, DS2 is 5 mo out, and DD gets her second dose Wed.

I’m nervous about Omicron.

ang79
11-29-2021, 12:11 AM
It still amazes me the different levels of side effects that people are experiencing. Our family of 4 all had pretty harsh side effects. DH and I were very tired and a bit achy after first Moderna dose, and completely wiped out for 2-3 days after the second dose (fever, aches, chills, sweats, headache, tiredness, etc.). Both DD's got fevers after their first Pfizer and then worse flu-like symptoms after the second does, again lasting 2-3 days. I've not been following the studies about mixing MRNA shots. Is there a good reason to do that (i.e. better protection, or more long-lasting?) When I checked last night for local places offering the booster it seems most have Pfizer, but a few may have Moderna. Also, if DH is just now getting over an illness (non-covid) how long should he wait before going for his booster? He had on-going fever, headache, sweats, chills, tiredness, aches, etc. this past week. I'm toying with both of us going on Tues. or Wed. this week to get it before we leave town Friday afternoon, but I don't want to be feeling horrible for work or still feeling yucky to drive 3 hrs on Friday for our trip. The area we are traveling too has even worse vaccination rates than where I live and some family that we will see for short visits are not yet vaccinated (some think they had Covid earlier in the year so consider themselves to have natural immunity).

melrose7
11-29-2021, 01:57 AM
No vaccines for any of us so no boosters needed. 4 out of 5 of us have got Covid in September-2 kids very mild, 1 never got anything-DH and I were sick for about a week. So we have our own natural immunity.

mmsmom
11-29-2021, 08:43 AM
DH got Pfizer booster when the first offered for immunocompromised in August I think. I had Pzifer originally and got a Moderna booster a couple weeks ago at the 7 month mark. I was not sick with Pfizer but did have 24 hours of aches with Moderna booster.

klwa
11-29-2021, 09:07 AM
I'm scheduled to get mine this Friday. I was thinking about getting it this past weekend, but DD2 was getting her second shot & I didn't want to feel sick in case she didn't feel good. I had about 24 hours of just BAD dizziness/tiredness/fever after the second dose, so I'm expecting more of the same this time.

lizzywednesday
11-29-2021, 10:20 AM
... Is there a good reason to do that (i.e. better protection, or more long-lasting?) When I checked last night for local places offering the booster it seems most have Pfizer, but a few may have Moderna. ...

No, there's really no additional benefit to mixing, say, a Pfizer initial series with a Moderna booster (or a Moderna initial series with a Pfizer booster), but there's no real harm - it's kind of like switching from creamy to chunky peanut butter. It's basically the same, but there's a slightly different formulation from creamy to chunky. So, if you can only get in to receive a Moderna booster, you'll probably be OK unless you had an allergic reaction. (It sounds like your family is prone to very strong immune responses post-vaccination, so I might stick with Pfizer because its booster is a lower volume than the Moderna one, but we're really talking about extremely tiny amounts - micrograms vs grams - so it may end up mooting itself.)

However, my understanding is that a person who received an mRNA initial series should NOT seek a viral vector (J&J) booster, but a person who received a viral vector initial dose may wish to consider an mRNA booster (which appears to have some benefit (https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/how-mix-and-match-covid-19-booster-shots-work-according-to-an-infectious-disease-expert), since the viral vector vaccines had lower efficacy percentages.)

SnuggleBuggles
11-29-2021, 10:36 AM
No vaccines for any of us so no boosters needed. 4 out of 5 of us have got Covid in September-2 kids very mild, 1 never got anything-DH and I were sick for about a week. So we have our own natural immunity.

Will you eventually get vaccinated since there's no great way of knowing how long your natural immunity will last? I know for international flights, you can only get the ok to fly if it has been 90 days since you had Covid. Beyond that you are not considered fit to fly.

AnnieW625
11-29-2021, 12:28 PM
Neither DH nor I have had boosters. Dh knows he is going to get one because he had the J&J shot, but he hasn’t scheduled it yet. I am coming up on 8 months this week and am scheduled for next Thursday. I have the day off the following day so just in case I have any side effects. I had no side effects other than the sore arm with my first two shots. I am definitely more antsy about this one. My parents had their boosters a few weeks ago and reported no side effects. I am pretty sure they drove 10 hours to Portland two days later.

wendibird22
11-29-2021, 02:09 PM
DH got his Pfizer booster a few months ago. I got my Moderna booster a few weeks ago. DH never had any side effects. I had flu like symptoms.

Globetrotter
11-29-2021, 02:19 PM
I got the Moderna booster With minimal side effects, maybe a slight headache, but I have noticed that my underarm lymph nodes have been swollen a bit since then. It could also be due to the cold I had, but maybe also the booster.

DH had the Pfizer booster after the original Moderna- he was already sick with a mild cold but felt more tired the next day.
DD got a Pfizer booster and was sick the next day with a headache and fatigue.
In all three cases the booster gave milder side effects.
DS isn’t due for the booster until this week. I was hoping he could get it before thanksgiving, but it hadn’t been six months.

bisous
11-29-2021, 02:21 PM
I haven't signed up yet. I'm super pro-vaccine but I'm not sure how to feel about boosters? I feel like I'm probably influenced by Vincent on TWIV but I'm skeptical that they're needed? That said I'm not opposed to them at all and don't think they're dangerous. Until they opened it up to al 18+ I technically didn't qualify--no health conditions or age conditions for me. I will probably schedule it out of an abundance of caution for others but I'm truly not concerned for me or now for most of my family (since my littles are finally getting vaccinated!) I'm definitely more team "the world needs vaccines" than "I need a booster" but they say there is plenty of the vaccine to go around...

Indianamom2
11-29-2021, 02:34 PM
Yes! Got my Pfizer booster about 3 weeks ago. I had my original shots done by the end of January 2021 and then they had clearly worn off because I got Covid in August. I felt achy and yucky the next day, but still better than Covid!

AnnieW625
11-29-2021, 02:34 PM
I haven't signed up yet. I'm super pro-vaccine but I'm not sure how to feel about boosters? I feel like I'm probably influenced by Vincent on TWIV but I'm skeptical that they're needed? That said I'm not opposed to them at all and don't think they're dangerous. Until they opened it up to al 18+ I technically didn't qualify--no health conditions or age conditions for me. I will probably schedule it out of an abundance of caution for others but I'm truly not concerned for me or now for most of my family (since my littles are finally getting vaccinated!) I'm definitely more team "the world needs vaccines" than "I need a booster" but they say there is plenty of the vaccine to go around...

I very much agree with this….you said it way better than I did. I made my appointment for the 8th but honestly I am not 100% sure I really need it and may chicken out and cancel it.

essnce629
11-29-2021, 03:47 PM

I feel exactly the same way, especially after listening to almost every single TWIV clinical update for almost a year! It just seems like the research that's come out doesn't prove the need for everyone 18+ needing boosters. The pandemic won't end without the entire world getting 1st and 2nd doses and there's really not much evidence that Americans getting 3rd and 4th shots will really do anything to help in the long run. Like they always talk about on TWIV, no vaccine has ever been created to decrease infection, the goal has always been to decrease disease/hospitalizations/deaths and that it makes no sense to say we all need boosters based on current infection rates. For instance, they were talking about how the infection rate in New York is exactly the same as it was a year ago, pre-vaccine, but that now they only have a few hundred in the hospital vs the thousands that were hospitalized last year, so the vaccines are clearly doing their job, even if antibodies are waning (which is expected). Antibodies aren't the only things that matter and the vaccine also works by creating B cell and T cell responses which no one is talking about. They also mention how getting a booster doesn't just have to be a one size fits all, that you should really take your community spread and individual health into consideration. Live in an area with no mask mandate, no testing in schools, and you're 65 with diabetes and a BMI of 35? Yes, you should get a booster. Live in an area with low community spread, indoor mask mandate, testing in schools and you're 35, BMI of 23, work from home, and no preexisting conditions? Then there's really no need to rush out and get a booster at this exact moment. If anything, they've talked about waiting and seeing if there's a possible spike later in the winter and getting a booster then. And if you're a male who's 18 with no preexisting conditions or weight issues and in that small group of those at risk for myocarditis after the vaccine, then maybe it's also better to wait for more research or to seek out a J&J vaccine for a booster.

I also feel like there's a ton of new Covid info that comes out each week that is completely missed in the news and instead we're only hearing and talking about boosters. The fact that we now have monoclonals to use as both treatment and prophylacticly, that decrease the chance of even developing symptoms by up to 80% is huge! And now we have 2 new oral antivirals that are seeking EUA approval as treatment options, Molnupiravir and Paxlovid, that were shown to be 30% and 89% effective against preventing hospitalization. The TWIV members were extremely excited about Paxlovid and have been touting monoclonals for about 10 months now!

Personally, for me, living in Los Angeles with one of the lowest covid positivity rates in the nation (0.89%), having mandatory masks indoors everywhere, having weekly testing in schools, being a SAHM, and DH working from home with neither of us having any preexisting health conditions or weight issues that put us at risk for severe disease, we are skipping boosters for now. My mom on the other hand is 65, got J&J, and works full time outside of the home, so she went ahead and got an mRNA booster as soon as she was eligible, which to me makes sense in her case. I'm also having DS1 get a booster as he's in college in a small town that has low vaccination rates and a much higher covid positivity rate and is in college living in a frat house. I would prefer he get J&J for his booster, due to the myocarditis risk with mostly the Pfizer vaccine, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

I feel like we should do a weekly thread on here about all the latest Covid news that's discussed on TWIV's weekly clinical update!

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

MSWR0319
11-29-2021, 03:52 PM

I will say they are definitely needed here at least in some of the population/areas with high spread. We're seeing more and more cases of vaccinated individuals (with no booster) ending up in the hospital and even more taxing the medical system by needing to do to the doctor. I'm in the highest area of our state right now, so spread is high, vaccination rates are low, those who are vaccinated haven't gotten their boosters, and there aren't many masking. It's the perfect storm. Our area hospital just put out a notification asking business to think about mandating masks because they are out of room and there are no hospitals to transfer to within 3 hours, even for non-covid issues. They had to ask for ventilators from the emergency stock because they are out. They're going to have to start putting patients in halls, and it's taken 4 days to transfer patients to hospitals that can perform needed treatments not related to covid. I'm doing all I can to not only protect those around me, but to help keep the load off of our medical workers. I'm pretty sure I have a sinus infection from a cold I had but can't get in to see the doctor, and I'm not about to go to a walk in clinic. Are those vaccinated without boosters dying? Not most of them, but they are staying in the hospital for weeks which is causing stress on the medical system. In areas with high vaccination rate and low spread, I would think boosters probably aren't as important.

ETA: Just found out that the bigger hospitals an hour from us are almost out of monoclonal antibody treatments and the supply they are waiting on is back ordered. We're in bad shape here, and at this point you've got to do what you can to keep yourself safe.

AnnieW625
11-29-2021, 04:08 PM
I feel exactly the same way, especially after listening to almost every single TWIV clinical update for almost a year! It just seems like the research that's come out doesn't prove the need for everyone 18+ needing boosters. The pandemic won't end without the entire world getting 1st and 2nd doses and there's really not much evidence that Americans getting 3rd and 4th shots will really do anything to help in the long run. Like they always talk about on TWIV, no vaccine has ever been created to decrease infection, the goal has always been to decrease disease/hospitalizations/deaths and that it makes no sense to say we all need boosters based on current infection rates. For instance, they were talking about how the infection rate in New York is exactly the same as it was a year ago, pre-vaccine, but that now they only have a few hundred in the hospital vs the thousands that were hospitalized last year, so the vaccines are clearly doing their job, even if antibodies are waning (which is expected). Antibodies aren't the only things that matter and the vaccine also works by creating B cell and T cell responses which no one is talking about. They also mention how getting a booster doesn't just have to be a one size fits all, that you should really take your community spread and individual health into consideration. Live in an area with no mask mandate, no testing in schools, and you're 65 with diabetes and a BMI of 35? Yes, you should get a booster. Live in an area with low community spread, indoor mask mandate, testing in schools and you're 35, BMI of 23, work from home, and no preexisting conditions? Then there's really no need to rush out and get a booster at this exact moment. If anything, they've talked about waiting and seeing if there's a possible spike later in the winter and getting a booster then. And if you're a male who's 18 with no preexisting conditions or weight issues and in that small group of those at risk for myocarditis after the vaccine, then maybe it's also better to wait for more research or to seek out a J&J vaccine for a booster.

I also feel like there's a ton of new Covid info that comes out each week that is completely missed in the news and instead we're only hearing and talking about boosters. The fact that we now have monoclonals to use as both treatment and prophylacticly, that decrease the chance of even developing symptoms by up to 80% is huge! And now we have 2 new oral antivirals that are seeking EUA approval as treatment options, Molnupiravir and Paxlovid, that were shown to be 30% and 89% effective against preventing hospitalization. The TWIV members were extremely excited about Paxlovid and have been touting monoclonals for about 10 months now!

Personally, for me, living in Los Angeles with one of the lowest covid positivity rates in the nation (0.89%), having mandatory masks indoors everywhere, having weekly testing in schools, being a SAHM, and DH working from home with neither of us having any preexisting health conditions or weight issues that put us at risk for severe disease, we are skipping boosters for now. My mom on the other hand is 65, got J&J, and works full time outside of the home, so she went ahead and got an mRNA booster as soon as she was eligible, which to me makes sense in her case. I'm also having DS1 get a booster as he's in college in a small town that has low vaccination rates and a much higher covid positivity rate and is in college living in a frat house. I would prefer he get J&J for his booster, due to the myocarditis risk with mostly the Pfizer vaccine, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

I feel like we should do a weekly thread on here about all the latest Covid news that's discussed on TWIV's weekly clinical update!

See this is soo helpful. I am 44 working from home, my BMI is higher than 25 (has been since DD2) but I have no other underlying conditions, no diabetes, no high blood pressure, and am trying my best to lower the BMI/weight by doing weight watchers. I do know I need to see a doctor in person at some point soon so maybe I will talk to my physician about it then. If I was working outside the home I wouldn’t be this hesitant. I am honestly glad there are others here who are hesitant about it because I was afraid I was the only one (and made the appt. this am after first reading this post). My county residents are still good about masks and masks are required in schools. Both of my kids will be fully vaxxed as of Wednesday.

Dh if he gets a booster says he wants the J&J and I think that is why he hasn’t scheduled it yet.

chlobo
11-29-2021, 05:02 PM

What did Vincent say?

o_mom
11-29-2021, 05:09 PM

I am excited about the new meds, but the biggest problem is that they have to be given early on, in the first 3-5 days. With the lack of testing availability and turnaround time, many people are outside the window by the time they know they have it, and then face delays of days to get them. A friend's wife (fully vaxed), ended up in the hospital (in FL) because by the time she could get tested and get results, it was too late for antibody treatments. She was high risk, but faced barriers in getting testing, results, and treatment.

I don't fall into any particularly high risk category, but at almost 50, in a place where masks are pretty much gone and the cases are skyrocketing, I'm going to get a booster. The positivity rate here is almost 12%. If cases were where we were last summer, I would probably wait. Not sure what DS1 is going to do. He had a pretty strong reaction the first time (high fever for several days), so he is not keen to get it. If he does, it will be over break.

carolinacool
11-29-2021, 05:20 PM
DH does have a couple of comorbidities (as do I). But I really kept pushing him to get his booster because we're coming up on a busy time. Even though we both work from home, we're spending a fair amount of time out of the house. DS' basketball season is about to start, so that will be several weekends of sitting in gyms. I'm guessing most folks will wear masks, but we are not under any sort of mandate, so who knows. We're also going to a few college and pro basketball games, DS has a birthday outing in a couple of weeks, we might travel over Christmas, etc.

Our vaccination rate is middling and the percentage has been hovering in the 4% range, although creeping up some.

essnce629
11-29-2021, 05:36 PM
What did Vincent say?This is the blog post that Vincent wrote back in August where he talks about his stance on boosters and the data. He still stands by what he wrote back then and said Paul Offit agreed with him as well (he brought it up again in yesterday's TWIV episode). He is bringing Paul Offit back on TWIV on December 17th to discuss boosters and to see whether his opinion has changed since August, and if so, what does the data show.

Are COVID-19 vaccine boosters needed?
https://www.virology.ws/2021/08/19/are-covid-19-vaccine-boosters-needed/

Opinion of Paul Offit and 2 other co-authors of recent research that came out today:

We don't need universal booster shots. We need to reach the unvaccinated.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/11/29/booster-shots-universal-opinion/

citymama
11-29-2021, 06:11 PM
Yes. Knocked me out for 24 hours - Moderna x 3 for me.

wendibird22
11-29-2021, 07:35 PM
DH got his Pfizer booster a few months ago. I got my Moderna booster a few weeks ago. DH never had any side effects. I had flu like symptoms.

Wanted to add that DH is an elementary ed teacher and so works daily with an unvaccinated population (and even though they are now eligible he thinks very very few of his students have gotten dose 1 yet...some it is a language barrier, some it's an access barrier, and others its parent's political views). So, he got the booster as soon as he was eligible. For me, I am 9 months out from my 2nd dose, work outside the home full time, have kids in school full time where despite mask mandate there's a huge spike in covid cases among students and employees, and live in a county with only a 50% vaccination rate for 18yr+ and a 14% covid infection rate currently (the highest it has been this entire pandemic). The public does not wear masks indoors hardly at all, though I do.

ang79
11-29-2021, 07:48 PM
Wanted to add that DH is an elementary ed teacher and so works daily with an unvaccinated population (and even though they are now eligible he thinks very very few of his students have gotten dose 1 yet...some it is a language barrier, some it's an access barrier, and others its parent's political views). So, he got the booster as soon as he was eligible. For me, I am 9 months out from my 2nd dose, work outside the home full time, have kids in school full time where despite mask mandate there's a huge spike in covid cases among students and employees, and live in a county with only a 50% vaccination rate for 18yr+ and a 14% covid infection rate currently (the highest it has been this entire pandemic). The public does not wear masks indoors hardly at all, though I do.

My area is similar (51% of total population vaxed, 16% positivity). Hospitalizations are staying in the 140 range. Deaths are starting g about the same. Masks are mandatory in school now but a recent lawsuit is looking to end that on Dec. 4. I’ve noticed fewer masks in crowded store recently and we are one of the very few families that mask in church. And after trying to find rapid Covid testing for DH last week and the nearest site being 30 min. Away in another town, and am guessing not many people are actually getting the PCR tests and pausing their lives while they wait for results unless they are very sick. I was really hoping g to schedule my booster for a Friday in case I feel yucky afterwards then I can rest up over the weekend. But we have activities the next few weekends.

Kindra178
11-30-2021, 02:56 PM
This is the blog post that Vincent wrote back in August where he talks about his stance on boosters and the data. He still stands by what he wrote back then and said Paul Offit agreed with him as well (he brought it up again in yesterday's TWIV episode). He is bringing Paul Offit back on TWIV on December 17th to discuss boosters and to see whether his opinion has changed since August, and if so, what does the data show.

Are COVID-19 vaccine boosters needed?
https://www.virology.ws/2021/08/19/are-covid-19-vaccine-boosters-needed/

Opinion of Paul Offit and 2 other co-authors of recent research that came out today:

We don't need universal booster shots. We need to reach the unvaccinated.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/11/29/booster-shots-universal-opinion/

Listen to yesterday's ZDoggShow (horrible name, I know) on his feeling on boosters in general. He feels that our focus should be on vaxing the unvaxed and getting our shots around the world.

I really like how ZDogg looks at both sides at these issues and appreciates that progressives have lost their collective minds regarding Covid overall.

MSWR0319
11-30-2021, 05:34 PM
Listen to yesterday's ZDoggShow (horrible name, I know) on his feeling on boosters in general. He feels that our focus should be on vaxing the unvaxed and getting our shots around the world.

I really like how ZDogg looks at both sides at these issues and appreciates that progressives have lost their collective minds regarding Covid overall.

Did he offer any suggestions on how to vax the unvaxed? Because around here, there's not much you can do to get those that aren't vaxed to get vaxed.

squimp
11-30-2021, 05:56 PM
We got our booster yesterday, and my DD got hers earlier in November at school. She caught a breakthrough case in October from an unvaccinated teammate who came to school sick for 4 days prior to getting tested. That episode actually caused several other teammate's families to get vaccinated, which is great. One said it was not the hill they wanted to die on, which I appreciated the intentional or unintentional statement they were making.

DH and I were vaccinated soon thereafter, so I think of it as protecting myself from the 31% of people in our county who are not vaccinated because they are much more likely to spread COVID. Our schools have not had a lot of cases, which is good and likely a reflection of the community rates and their precautions (masking indoors).

KpbS
11-30-2021, 05:56 PM
Yes, the unvaxxed here are not going to get vaxxed. They are opposed to the vaccine.

robinsmommy
11-30-2021, 05:57 PM

I disagree. The only way most of the unvaxxed will get the vax at this point is if it is mandated- for work, for all public transport or flying, or for any indoor event. I don’t see a national mandate succeeding for 5 years and up- and that is probably what it would take to slow the spread, and that assumes that the vax provides a decent amount of protection against new variants.

The doses here already and distributed need to be used- shipping them elsewhere is probably not workable. Better used than wasted. And folks who got J&J? They *need* boosters.

Everywhere I go there are unmasked folks, even though masks are mandated here. We wear good masks, but I see boosters as a needed layer of extra protection from the people all around us who don’t believe in science and some who gleefully ignore common sense preventative measures.

Getting shots into arms around the world would be much more doable if Moderna and Pfizer would allow others to produce vaccines using their methodology- at least then, folks who want vaxes could get them.

South Africa had vaccines available, but apparently could not overcome distrust to get people to use them. And here we are.

Testing. We need stringent testing and quarantining for folks traveling, esp out of country, and more readily available and cheap at home tests.

jgenie
11-30-2021, 06:15 PM

The people who are unvaccinated will likely remain unvaccinated. I agree the most effective way to get unvaccinated people to vaccinate would be to make access contingent on being vaccinated. Not vaccinated - can’t board an airplane, not vaccinated - can’t attend an indoor event, not vaccinated - can’t be on school property, not vaccinated - can’t report to work, not vaccinated- Covid testing costs are no longer covered my the government, etc.

Snow mom
11-30-2021, 06:35 PM
The people who are unvaccinated will likely remain unvaccinated. I agree the most effective way to get unvaccinated people to vaccinate would be to make access contingent on being vaccinated. Not vaccinated - can’t board an airplane, not vaccinated - can’t attend an indoor event, not vaccinated - can’t be on school property, not vaccinated - can’t report to work, not vaccinated- Covid testing costs are no longer covered my the government, etc.
I agree with you, but even with mandates it’s amazing how much animosity remains about the vaccine and it being “shoved down my throat” or whatever. Our state has mandates for many types of employees and people have been pissed, even if compliant. It’s just hard to see how they will ever become accepting.

From a math of herd immunity perspective, it’s absolutely true that we’d be better off vaccinating the unvaccinated, and it’s a noble goal, but from a policy perspective I’m not sure how we will reach the numbers needed. Basically modeling herd immunity you have different populations who have contacts and risks of being infected if exposed. It would be better to move a larger portion into the mid-low risk of having received the vaccine series, but barring that, we need more people with the greater protection of having been boostered. Even then, it seems the number of holdouts will keep us from ever reaching herd immunity. New variants will continue to appear (some smart friends suggested this current variant could be from an animal population and those reservoirs of virus are going to continue to be problematic even as we potentially move to greater portions of the human population being vaccinated).

ang79
11-30-2021, 07:35 PM
I agree with you, but even with mandates it’s amazing how much animosity remains about the vaccine and it being “shoved down my throat” or whatever. Our state has mandates for many types of employees and people have been pissed, even if compliant. It’s just hard to see how they will ever become accepting.

From a math of herd immunity perspective, it’s absolutely true that we’d be better off vaccinating the unvaccinated, and it’s a noble goal, but from a policy perspective I’m not sure how we will reach the numbers needed. Basically modeling herd immunity you have different populations who have contacts and risks of being infected if exposed. It would be better to move a larger portion into the mid-low risk of having received the vaccine series, but barring that, we need more people with the greater protection of having been boostered. Even then, it seems the number of holdouts will keep us from ever reaching herd immunity. New variants will continue to appear (some smart friends suggested this current variant could be from an animal population and those reservoirs of virus are going to continue to be problematic even as we potentially move to greater portions of the human population being vaccinated).

Yes, while I believe the theory of getting more people vaxed is better long term than boosters t those that are already protected, I don’t see how that will actually happen when so many are so angry about it. When people are willing to be fired over it, what will convince them to get it? Vaccines have been available for almost a year now so they’ve had their chance if they wanted it. Now I can only protect myself and my family with boosters, masking, and avoiding large gatherings where I don’t know the vax status of others (case in point, my niece is having a baby shower in January right after Christmas in a county with 38% fully vaxed rates and I will not be going, as there are 70 people invited, it’s in a small room, they don’t like to wear masks and I know many are not vaccinated).

I’ve been reading recent news from Penn State about tracking Covid in white tail deer and the increased rates as community spread goes up. They are worried that deer will become the new preferred host and Covid will continue to cross back and forth between animal and human. And we are now in prime deer hunting season and high community spread in most of PA.

Off to schedule boosters for DH and I. Wish I had a crystal ball to know if my reaction would be worse to the Moderna or Pfizer booster!

essnce629
12-01-2021, 01:29 PM
Yes, the unvaxxed here are not going to get vaxxed. They are opposed to the vaccine.From what I'm seeing in my Covid loss Facebook group is that the unvaccinated will get vaccinated once they experience a Covid death in their immediate family or friend group. For many many months now, all the new members in the group have lost loved ones who were not vaccinated, by choice. Most were Trump supporters who believed Covid was a "hoax" and "not real." It's not until they experienced the death of their husband, wife, or sister and watched them suffer in the hospital for weeks and saw the tremendous stress and burnout that the healthcare workers are under, that they changed their tune. They have to experience it for themselves firsthand. Only then have many decided to finally get themselves vaccinated and actually encouraged their friends and family to do the same. Many of these members have even had to plan double and triple funerals due to multiple Covid deaths in their family. For instance, I believe if my grandma hadn't died of Covid, several of my uncles would still be unvaccinated. My aunt, who was the last to get sick before my grandma, still refuses to get vaccinated and says she never will unless her work mandates it. She also refused to take a rapid test in order to come to my house for Thanksgiving.

On TWIV, they talk about how just listening to the unvaccinated and going over their concerns, in person one on one, is the best way to get them vaccinated. So this would fall primarily on primary health care providers and pediatricians. Probably not those who believe everything is a hoax, but for those that have legitimate health concerns.

wendibird22
12-01-2021, 02:19 PM

One of the unfortunate things is that the lack of herd immunity just continues not only infection rate of vaccinated folks but also the variants which just leads to more of the unvaccinated population to say "see the vaccine doesn't work!" when it's because they aren't vaccinated that it isn't working as effectively. It just adds fuel to their flawed argument.

From what I'm seeing in my Covid loss Facebook group is that the unvaccinated will get vaccinated once they experience a Covid death in their immediate family or friend group. For many many months now, all the new members in the group have lost loved ones who were not vaccinated, by choice. Most were Trump supporters who believed Covid was a "hoax" and "not real." It's not until they experienced the death of their husband, wife, or sister and watched them suffer in the hospital for weeks and saw the tremendous stress and burnout that the healthcare workers are under, that they changed their tune. They have to experience it for themselves firsthand. Only then have many decided to finally get themselves vaccinated and actually encouraged their friends and family to do the same. Many of these members have even had to plan double and triple funerals due to multiple Covid deaths in their family. For instance, I believe if my grandma hadn't died of Covid, several of my uncles would still be unvaccinated. My aunt, who was the last to get sick before my grandma, still refuses to get vaccinated and says she never will unless her work mandates it. She also refused to take a rapid test in order to come to my house for Thanksgiving.

On TWIV, they talk about how just listening to the unvaccinated and going over their concerns, in person one on one, is the best way to get them vaccinated. So this would fall primarily on primary health care providers and pediatricians. Probably not those who believe everything is a hoax, but for those that have legitimate health concerns.

I think this is so true. There was a recent news article from the next closest major city to me where a family of four (mom, dad, 2 adult sons) all got COVID. Mom and one son were vaccinated. Dad and other son were not. None of the 4 had any preexisting conditions or risks and so Dad and son didn't think they really needed to be vaccinated. Well, all come down with COVID at the same time. Within 3 days mom and son 1 report beginning to feel better. Dad and son 2 go down hill fast. Mom ends up taking both to the ER and has to drop them at the curb because of course she too has COVID and has to isolate. Within 2 weeks both dad and son are dead, dying just days apart. Other family members who refused to be vaccinated have now all gotten vaccinated because not only did they suffer this tragic loss, but they also had a front row seat to how the vaccine changed the outcome for the other two.

AnnieW625
12-01-2021, 02:19 PM
Yes, the unvaxxed here are not going to get vaxxed. They are opposed to the vaccine.

The few I know who are unvaxxed have all had Covid and decided since they already had it they didn’t need the vaccine or in the case of my father in law (and mother in law who will do the same as FIL) have not gotten vaxxed because my FIL says he has never gotten a flu vaccine and therefore doesn’t think he should get the Covid vaccine. My MILs mom is almost 101 and for that reason alone I am surprised she hasn’t gotten the vaccine. She only sees her maybe two or three times a year but still I would think she would get it just for that reason.

I was just talking with friends last night and one friend brought up that a friend of her brothers hasn’t gotten vaccinated and her father died from Covid.

essnce629
12-01-2021, 02:55 PM
I was just talking with friends last night and one friend brought up that a friend of her brothers hasn’t gotten vaccinated and her father died from Covid.

There's a few of these in my Covid loss Facebook group who post things like "did anyone else hold their mom's hand as they died of Covid but still not trust the vaccine?" In these cases I think they think they are less at risk because of their age and that their parent only died because they were old. For some people, it's more acceptable it seems to lose grandma or grandma to Covid. Once their unvaccinated husbands, wives, sisters, brothers, etc in their 40s and 50s started dying, because it's the younger crowd that's not getting vaccinated now, they started to change their minds.