PDA

View Full Version : Booster now or see if vaccines updated?

flashy09
11-29-2021, 06:00 PM
I have read that both Moderna and Pfizer are looking into updating their vaccines for the Omicron variant. I have seen anywhere from 60 -100 days for the update, if it gone ahead with. Is it worth it to wait and see how prevalent this variant is and if vaccines get updated? I don't really want to get a booster that is far less potent if a new one is coming out in 3 months. Moderna CEO is saying their current vaccine could be 8x less effective against Omicron. Thoughts?

citymama
11-29-2021, 06:10 PM
Got mine as soon as I could. By the time the new vaccines are developed it might be time for another booster in any case.

wendibird22
11-29-2021, 07:37 PM
I have read that both Moderna and Pfizer are looking into updating their vaccines for the Omicron variant. I have seen anywhere from 60 -100 days for the update, if it gone ahead with. Is it worth it to wait and see how prevalent this variant is and if vaccines get updated? I don't really want to get a booster that is far less potent if a new one is coming out in 3 months. Moderna CEO is saying their current vaccine could be 8x less effective against Omicron. Thoughts?

Last I saw, Fauci was saying they won't know for a few more weeks about efficacy of current vaccines against Omicron or if Omicron is more contagious/infection or more dangerous than Delta. I know they are hoping to test a bunch of the Americans who just flew out of S.Africa this weekend.

flashy09
11-29-2021, 08:10 PM
Last I saw, Fauci was saying they won't know for a few more weeks about efficacy of current vaccines against Omicron or if Omicron is more contagious/infection or more dangerous than Delta. I know they are hoping to test a bunch of the Americans who just flew out of S.Africa this weekend.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/28/moderna-says-an-omicron-variant-vaccine-could-be-ready-in-early-2022.html

This sort of article is what I am referring to. I just can't figure out whether to wait a bit and see if modifications are made or just get the current booster!

KpbS
11-29-2021, 10:38 PM
OP I’m in the same boat… :confused:

gymnbomb
11-30-2021, 09:02 AM
I would get it now. I suspect by the time a new version is widely available they will have decided it is time for another round of boosters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frugalmom
11-30-2021, 10:39 AM
Got mine as soon as I could. By the time the new vaccines are developed it might be time for another booster in any case.

Me too. Got mine last month as did dh. So glad to have gotten it. I would not wait.

lizzywednesday
11-30-2021, 10:45 AM
... By the time the new vaccines are developed it might be time for another booster in any case.

:yeahthat:

twowhat?
11-30-2021, 11:22 AM
If you're wanting a booster, now is the time to get it while Delta is our current main threat. There are so many unknowns and unanswered questions regarding Omicron that I personally wouldn't wait. And boosters are here to stay.

NCGrandma
11-30-2021, 12:28 PM
If you're wanting a booster, now is the time to get it while Delta is our current main threat. There are so many unknowns and unanswered questions regarding Omicron that I personally wouldn't wait. And boosters are here to stay.

Definitely agree — even if the vaccine mfrs are poised to make modifications in the current vaccines, it's way too early to know how omicron compares to delta (or to some yet-unknown variant), and how fast the approval processes will go.

If covid boosters become an annual event, hopefully more people will get them. Interestingly, I haven’t heard any scare stories about the annual flu vaccines being dangerous because they are changed somewhat each year (and some years are closer to the mark than others).

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

echoesofspring
11-30-2021, 02:07 PM
I'm not waiting - so many unknowns still about Omicron, but I know delta is here and things are moving indoors and my protection is waning while the Omicron targeted booster may or may not be coming....

flashy09
11-30-2021, 02:20 PM
Well, it looks like I gave myself the booster. I tested positive today. I thought I would make sure this "cold" I caught from my 2 yr old nephew wasn't Covid because I was leaning towards getting the booster this week so went and got a rapid test. Trying not to panic!! My kids are 2.5 weeks into their first vaccine and tested negative today.

doberbrat
11-30-2021, 02:39 PM
Sorry to see the update - hope you keep having a mild case.

jgenie
11-30-2021, 03:52 PM
I’m so sorry. Fingers crossed it’s a mild case and you can keep your kids from catching it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

MSWR0319
11-30-2021, 05:28 PM
Well, it looks like I gave myself the booster. I tested positive today. I thought I would make sure this "cold" I caught from my 2 yr old nephew wasn't Covid because I was leaning towards getting the booster this week so went and got a rapid test. Trying not to panic!! My kids are 2.5 weeks into their first vaccine and tested negative today.

Oh geez! Hoping you recover quickly and it stays mild, and the rest of the family doesn't catch it.

KpbS
11-30-2021, 05:57 PM
We went ahead and got our boosters today. I imagine we will be getting yet another booster in 3 to 4 months. If not sooner. Oh well

robinsmommy
11-30-2021, 06:00 PM
General consensus among the medical/epi crowd seems to be boost now, don’t wait.

AngB
11-30-2021, 08:31 PM

Sorry, my 2.5 yo has covid but DH and I tested negative on the at home rapids last night, if my kids have had it (with just one round of shots, they were due for the second tomorrow/Thurs :( ) They have either been asymptomatic completely or negative. I am actually hoping they test positive (so done with this) but not very optimistic based on how normal they are acting.

ang79
11-30-2021, 10:57 PM
Sorry to read that update, hoping it is a mild case and that no one else in the family gets it! I was on the fence about scheduling our boosters (we are almost 7 months out), but the combination of traveling this weekend to a place with low vax rates, DH doing on a church retreat next weekend, and your story, I just registered us to get our Moderna boosters at Sam's club tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed that side effects are not as bad as our original 2 shots! My mom commented that the booster's have a pretty immediate protection, does anyone else know if that is true (vs. the 2 weeks for fully vaxed after the second shot)?

Snow mom
12-01-2021, 08:18 AM
Sorry to read that update, hoping it is a mild case and that no one else in the family gets it! I was on the fence about scheduling our boosters (we are almost 7 months out), but the combination of traveling this weekend to a place with low vax rates, DH doing on a church retreat next weekend, and your story, I just registered us to get our Moderna boosters at Sam's club tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed that side effects are not as bad as our original 2 shots! My mom commented that the booster's have a pretty immediate protection, does anyone else know if that is true (vs. the 2 weeks for fully vaxed after the second shot)?
It looks like about a week for both the original doses and the boosters. I think the 14 days was always conservative. Look up the Pfizer booster trial data. You can see the lines between number of cases in the placebo group and the number of cases in the booster group start to diverge around the one week mark. Their analysis still starts at two weeks post booster/placebo but I really think the protection is good around a week out.

ang79
12-01-2021, 09:45 AM
It looks like about a week for both the original doses and the boosters. I think the 14 days was always conservative. Look up the Pfizer booster trial data. You can see the lines between number of cases in the placebo group and the number of cases in the booster group start to diverge around the one week mark. Their analysis still starts at two weeks post booster/placebo but I really think the protection is good around a week out.

Ok, that makes me feel better about DH headed to WV for his retreat next weekend with a bunch of people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk