PDA

View Full Version : Spring cleaning

niccig
02-14-2022, 03:31 AM
So it’s not Spring yet, but it’s close! I’ve decided to clean out drawers and closets, 1-2 things at a time over the next several weeks. I’m too busy to spend an entire day decluttering, but I can find 30-45 minutes here and there. The plan is to have things mostly cleaned out before my Spring Break in April so I don’t spend the week cleaning the house. I’ll need that time to do the garage!!

Today I did the pantry and under the kitchen sink.

Other things to do:
Master bath vanity
Hall bath cabinets
Hall closet
Upper kitchen cabinets
My dresser
My side table
My closet

I’ll add to the list as I go

Join me if you want to tackle parts of the house over a few weeks. It less overwhelming that way

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

jgenie
02-14-2022, 07:39 AM
I soooo need to do this! I’ll be back to post what I get done today!

My goals:

Kitchen drawers - 20
Kitchen cabinets - 30 - 8 DONE
Pantries - 1 DONE
Kitchen closet - DONE
Kitchen fridge / freezer - DONE
Garage fridge / freezer
Dining room - DONE
Playroom closet - DONE
Playroom Christmas tree :bag. DONE
Family room DONE
Library counters
Master bath cabinets
My closet
My office - DONE
DS1 room
DS2 room
Guest room - DONE
1st floor bathrooms cabinets
2nd floor bathrooms cabinets
Basement bathroom cabinets
Gym closet
Upstairs hall closet - DONE
Entry closet
Garage - DONE
Upstairs landing
Basement kitchen
Basement storage - DONE

hellokitty
02-14-2022, 08:59 AM
I want to do this so badly but it's crunch time with my grad school work, which is probably why I want to do anything but school work!

I need to majorly declutter clothing. Some I have not worn for at least before covid! It just needs to go, I've given up on the thought that I'm ever going to lose enough weight to fit into some of those items. ��

Our basement is a wreck, when we moved 5 years ago dh and I got into a big argument. I wanted to declutter as we packed. He said that was dumb, to pack everything up and declutter when we moved. I told him we wouldn't have time to do that, guess who was right?

The garage is a wreck but that is all 100% DH. I am sick of tripping over his crap and the kids sports equipment to make it to and from my car.

niccig
02-14-2022, 10:14 PM
I want to do this so badly but it's crunch time with my grad school work, which is probably why I want to do anything but school work!

I need to majorly declutter clothing. Some I have not worn for at least before covid! It just needs to go, I've given up on the thought that I'm ever going to lose enough weight to fit into some of those items. ��

Our basement is a wreck, when we moved 5 years ago dh and I got into a big argument. I wanted to declutter as we packed. He said that was dumb, to pack everything up and declutter when we moved. I told him we wouldn't have time to do that, guess who was right?

The garage is a wreck but that is all 100% DH. I am sick of tripping over his crap and the kids sports equipment to make it to and from my car.

You’ve got way too much going on, so don’t worry if you can’t get to it now. If it makes you feel better, maybe have a trash bag in the closet and put one thing in the bag each day for donation. I get to the point where the mess is overwhelming so doing something little, makes me feel better about not getting to the rest of it. The garage and basement are huge projects that you may not have time for now. I know I can’t do my garage right now as I’m too busy, but I can clean out one drawer in the bathroom vanity

niccig
02-14-2022, 10:15 PM
I soooo need to do this! I’ll be back to post what I get done today!

My goals:

Kitchen drawers - 20
Kitchen cabinets - 30
Pantries
Kitchen closet
Kitchen fridge / freezer
Garage fridge / freezer
Dining room
Playroom closet
Playroom Christmas tree :bag
Family room
Library counters
Master bath cabinets
My closet
My office
DS1 room
DS2 room
Guest room
1st floor bathroom cabinets
2nd floor bathroom cabinets
Upstairs hall closet
Entry closet
Garage
Upstairs landing
Basement kitchen
Basement storage

Ok, you’ve given me a few things to add to my list!! I’m just starting with things I can do by myself. Anything that involves DH or DS I’m leaving for another time

lizzywednesday
02-15-2022, 10:36 AM
I have to get the following done:

Reorganize and declutter the dining room table (it was done, but then it got un-done)
Sort and re-file Girl Scout paperwork
Reorganize Girl Scout meeting supply bag (in my new tote from Council!)
Swiffer living room dust bunnies
Get linens-and-towels laundry hamper cleared and shifted back upstairs

jgenie
02-15-2022, 11:41 AM
DS2 was home sick yesterday. We spent the day unpacking from a ski trip.

Today I made some progress:
Kitchen
8 cabinets - DONE
1 pantry - DONE

My biggest struggle is I don’t want to throw anything into the trash. I keep items for donation until I can find a group that can use them or sell them. I have books, clothes, toys, etc waiting to be dropped off. I prefer not to donate to Goodwill since so much ends up in the trash at our local store.

niccig
02-16-2022, 01:55 PM
DS2 was home sick yesterday. We spent the day unpacking from a ski trip.

Today I made some progress:
Kitchen
8 cabinets - DONE
1 pantry - DONE

My biggest struggle is I don’t want to throw anything into the trash. I keep items for donation until I can find a group that can use them or sell them. I have books, clothes, toys, etc waiting to be dropped off. I prefer not to donate to Goodwill since so much ends up in the trash at our local store.

Do you have a Facebook group in your area for buy nothing? People list all types of items for free

jgenie
02-16-2022, 02:59 PM
Do you have a Facebook group in your area for buy nothing? People list all types of items for free

We do. Unfortunately DH worries someone will come onto our property and somehow get hurt so I try not to have people we don’t know come to our house.

essnce629
02-16-2022, 03:22 PM
We do. Unfortunately DH worries someone will come onto our property and somehow get hurt so I try not to have people we don’t know come to our house.I love my Buy Nothing group! I go on sprees where I try to list one thing everyday for like a week. With Covid it's all contactless porch pickup which I love (no talking to anyone)!

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

bisous
02-16-2022, 03:27 PM
I love my Buy Nothing group! I go on sprees where I try to list one thing everyday for like a week. With Covid it's all contactless porch pickup which I love (no talking to anyone)!

I totally want to do this! (Posting one thing each day is genius!)

essnce629
02-16-2022, 06:51 PM
I totally want to do this! (Posting one thing each day is genius!)Posting 1 thing a day makes it much more manageable to keep track of. People also don't like looking through a single post with tons of different unrelated things.

niccig
02-19-2022, 02:58 PM
So this weekend, I plan to get a few things done on my list as I have Monday off work so still time to rest

hellokitty
02-20-2022, 03:18 PM
You’ve got way too much going on, so don’t worry if you can’t get to it now. If it makes you feel better, maybe have a trash bag in the closet and put one thing in the bag each day for donation. I get to the point where the mess is overwhelming so doing something little, makes me feel better about not getting to the rest of it. The garage and basement are huge projects that you may not have time for now. I know I can’t do my garage right now as I’m too busy, but I can clean out one drawer in the bathroom vanity

Thanks! Yeah, I had some donations I want to sort to give to friends with younger kids and after 2 years of COVID mode, I ended up just telling my husband to donate all of it. I need to get rid of much more, I probably could go through it pretty fast in terms of some tubs of clothing...

niccig
02-20-2022, 10:11 PM
I cleaned out the Master bath and hall bath vanities. Much of it was tossed and containers recycled. I still need to do the cabinet over the toilet, I’ll finish that tonight. I sorted though the upper kitchen cabinets and moved things around to make more space. There’s only 3 cabinets, so it wasn’t much to do.

I don’t think I’ll get much more done this weekend. The cluttered vanities were driving me nuts every time I opened a drawer, so it’s feels good to have that done. If I can do one task on my list every week, I’ll get through everything.

Pantry - done
Under kitchen sink - done
Master bath vanity - done
Hall bath cabinets - done
Hall closet
Upper kitchen cabinets - done
My dresser
My side table
My closet
Garage freezer
Water bottle/Tupperware drawer
Get sofa cleaned
Get blinds cleaned
Wash/dry clean curtains
Take rugs to cleaner
Clean out old video games

Big projects:
Garage - need to break into smaller jobs
Garden shed

niccig
02-20-2022, 10:18 PM
Thanks! Yeah, I had some donations I want to sort to give to friends with younger kids and after 2 years of COVID mode, I ended up just telling my husband to donate all of it. I need to get rid of much more, I probably could go through it pretty fast in terms of some tubs of clothing...

Often donating is the faster option. I get like that, I just need it done and then I do it quickly.

jgenie
02-24-2022, 09:56 AM
I got the Christmas tree taken down!! :rotflmao:

georgiegirl
02-24-2022, 12:26 PM

Ours is still up [emoji51]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

niccig
02-25-2022, 04:00 AM

We just put the bins of Christmas decorations away last weekend. The tree was up until end of January and then the stacks of bins stayed in the living room until just now. If happens - we got busy

jgenie
02-25-2022, 07:34 PM

Enjoy it! My DH had one up at Easter one year when we were dating!

I cleaned my family room and my playroom today!!

ett
02-25-2022, 10:22 PM

Our tree is still up too ...

jgenie
02-28-2022, 08:09 AM
I found a thrift shop that is accepting donations! :yay: I now have a bag set up in my mud room closet to collect donations. I’ll drop off every week when I have two bags filled.

lizzywednesday
05-24-2022, 01:44 PM
It's been a while since I laundered DH's bed pillows, so I did that today, along with his fleece blanket, both duvet inserts, and the duvet covers.

He's at the (new) office today and tomorrow, so I can do all the stuff I can't do with him working at home. (When it's slow, he has a habit of leaving his office/desk and lounging in the bedroom, which drives me bonkers. I had similar slow periods at my former employer, but I stayed away from the bedroom if I was on the clock because I'd get more distracted otherwise.)