PDA

View Full Version : College Parent FB groups

StantonHyde
04-22-2022, 03:52 PM
oh my word!!! I just got on the FB group for my son's soon to be college. There were posts with lots of good info-great. Then there were "those people". The ones who said that the food just wasn't good enough so their kid ate Door Dash every night. (thank goodness another parent said "it's college, not the Ritz Carlton") Other parents were looking for a cleaning service for their kids off campus apartment. Are.you.freaking.kidding.me????? Are these people always going to pay for this? At some point, the kid is going to have to learn to clean his own bathroom. Or the ones who don't want their children to walk anywhere after dark so they plan on paying for a parking permit at every lot on campus!. (and this is a small town place--not a big city) And then there are the people who want to send their kid booze for their 21st birthday. um, I think the kid can find that on his own. sigh. sigh. I have to remember to take the good and leave the bad.

SnuggleBuggles
04-22-2022, 03:54 PM
Those pages are very interesting places!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

gymnbomb
04-22-2022, 05:22 PM
Lol! Yes, there are all types on there. I belong to one at the school I work at and occasionally answer questions. But I also do a lot of eye rolling and thinking how this explains some of my students’ behavior.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

essnce629
04-22-2022, 05:54 PM
Yikes! Especially the buying of a parking permit at every lot!!! [emoji15]

I've been extremely lucky with the parents in DS1's school's group. All seem pretty normal. Same with those in his 2nd choice school whose group I'm still in! [emoji23] There were lots of complaints early on about the limited hours for dining, but that seemed to be a problem at many schools due to Covid and the lack of food service staff. Now the majority of posts have to do with transportation since the school's in a small town that's hard to get to.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
04-22-2022, 08:44 PM
... I also do a lot of eye rolling and thinking how this explains some of my students’ behavior.

BTDT, but at the university info line - I worked inbound call center & also responded to emails, many of which had to do with admissions questions (both undergrad & graduate, though grad admissions were more likely to be emails) or people who would explain to you why the (correct) answer you just gave them was wrong or otherwise unsatisfactory.

I remember a lot of the weird and rude ones quite vividly. Like the guy who was upset that his degree didn't get him a job so why did he still have to repay the loans he took out to earn it ... *sigh* (My friend and I had a field day with that one - venting to each other in the office before responding professionally.)

StantonHyde
04-23-2022, 11:25 AM
Yikes! Especially the buying of a parking permit at every lot!!! [emoji15]

And these are the same people who go on about choosing this school because it is less expensive than a UC school but it’s totally fine to spend money on luxuries for your kid but not education??????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
04-23-2022, 11:49 AM
Ours is mostly parents of kids from the Chicago suburbs who are always trying to figure out the buses from college to home (the charter buses sell out quickly and duh the days around any holidays are popular). Last week a mom needed someone to meet the roommate to pick up her kids passport and put it on an Uber, her kid was on a bus to O'Hare headed to India but he forgot his passport. Also, apparently Google is some new thing that doesn't occur for many folks. How many times I've Googled and then screenshot the answer is astounding!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Twoboos
04-23-2022, 02:56 PM
I haven't seen any of this level yet (I'm sure it's out there)... but a lot has given me an anxiety attack. "OMG we were supposed to do that already?!" - "God we just paid the deposit!!" - "How are we late on everything it's not May 1 yet???" - "But I didn't know the dates of Parent weekend/move in/move out/vacations until just NOW!" :bouncy:

I am hoping all these people who are ahead of the game were Early Decision students and not regular admission lol.

hellokitty
04-24-2022, 12:01 AM
I am on the FB page for the college my son decided on and omg. I can't stand at least 50% of the parents who post there. There is some sort of obsession with them finding their kid a roommate! The last thing I want to do is to be the one responsible for finding my kid a roommate, have faith in the process or let the kids use profiles to find a roommate if they want to! My son is opting to get matched by the system based on his profile.

There was a huge blow up about freshman not being able to have a car on campus dependent on how far their residence is from campus, the parents are really high maintenance and whiny! I have kid who is super laid back and informal and it's making me nervous, I don't want my kid to get get a roommate from one of these nightmare parents because I feel like their kid could be high maintenance too. I was a residence hall advisor in college and was also a hall director and vividly remember how demanding and controlling some parents were. I had one mom who demanded I also issue her a key to her daughter's dorm room. When I told her we were not able to accommodate that, she lashed out at me and told me that she would just go make her own copy of a key (it says "do not copy" on it) if I wouldn't give her a copy! WTF, what kind of parent thinks they should have a key to their daughter's dorm???

I'm nervous about my son going off to college and the timeline for all of these documents that are due has been a blur. I just want him to have a good experience and be able to thrive, but I almost wish that the FB page was one way where they could share info with us and I didn't have to see so much entitlement and demands from other parents. Plus it seems that people keep re-asking the same questions over and over instead of doing a search. It's probably made more even more anxious than not, and basically, the moderator just links people to their website, so obviously if you google their website you can probably find what you need. I thought that this would be helpful, but now I kind of just wish I didn't know what I now know about some of these other parents.

dogmom
04-24-2022, 05:54 PM
Wow! I was not on FB so I never joined. The school wanted my eldest to join to the class of 2025 FB group to find a roommate and he was, no way. He found his roommate via Instagram? Maybe Discord? I think Discord. I never got into any patient group. I don’t feel like I missed anything. It also meant I had to let him figure stuff out more, which worked fine. I probably saved money by no feeling like, Oh, maybe we should get this for your dorm room.

I found that one of his HS a classmate’s parents got in trouble on the college FB parent page. It is a well known college with Jewish roots and a very active alumni. I knew plenty of people that went there that weren’t Jewish, but there is a group that goes there that is. I mean it’s like a Catholic college, KWIM? So there was information about the homecoming and it included things like Sabbath celebration Friday evening. The parents posted a snarky message about WHAT activity would be scheduled at that time slot for the Christian parents. It did not go over well. I felt bad from their kid.

SnuggleBuggles
04-24-2022, 05:57 PM
Wow! I was not on FB so I never joined. The school wanted my eldest to join to the class of 2025 FB group to find a roommate and he was, no way. He found his roommate via Instagram? Maybe Discord? I think Discord. I never got into any patient group. I don’t feel like I missed anything. It also meant I had to let him figure stuff out more, which worked fine. I probably saved money by no feeling like, Oh, maybe we should get this for your dorm room.

They really do have their merits. It’s easy to tune things out and focus on the overwhelming helpful info.

Eta- I don’t know how people not on those pages know, for example, that you have to (and can) book your hotel for graduation as soon as the ceremonies end in spring for the next year. Or what popular hotel holds a lottery for rooms and how to enter that. There are so many things that I would have had to learn the hard way if I turned my back on this resource.

MMMommy
04-24-2022, 07:12 PM
I am on the FB page for the college my son decided on and omg. I can't stand at least 50% of the parents who post there. There is some sort of obsession with them finding their kid a roommate! The last thing I want to do is to be the one responsible for finding my kid a roommate, have faith in the process or let the kids use profiles to find a roommate if they want to! My son is opting to get matched by the system based on his profile.

I am with you on this one. DD1 already submitted her housing application without any roommate specification. She did put down her preferences for lifestyle habits and such. Back in the day we didn't pick roommates! I met my dorm roommate the moment the person walked through the door-- no matching questionnaires, zero knowledge of who the person was in advance, etc. It was "you get what you get." And now everyone is scrambling to find a roommate beforehand? Feel so overwhelmed by all of this!

NCGrandma
04-24-2022, 07:33 PM
I am with you on this one. DD1 already submitted her housing application without any roommate specification. She did put down her preferences for lifestyle habits and such. Back in the day we didn't pick roommates! I met my dorm roommate the moment the person walked through the door-- no matching questionnaires, zero knowledge of who the person was in advance, etc. It was "you get what you get." And now everyone is scrambling to find a roommate beforehand? Feel so overwhelmed by all of this!

Are a lot of BBB'ers kids actually lining up their roommates in advance through social media etc? Any obvious patterns to where this happens, like SLACs or big state universities etc?

I certainly remember the "you get what you get" era, and in my case, what I got was very problematic… (It was bad enough that they let me move to a single down the hall.) I do remember kids from the same home towns requesting someone but otherwise, no possibility of selecting.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

SnuggleBuggles
04-24-2022, 07:54 PM
Are a lot of BBB'ers kids actually lining up their roommates in advance through social media etc? Any obvious patterns to where this happens, like SLACs or big state universities etc?

I certainly remember the "you get what you get" era, and in my case, what I got was very problematic… (It was bad enough that they let me move to a single down the hall.) I do remember kids from the same home towns requesting someone but otherwise, no possibility of selecting.

Mine opted to just go random. His roommate was fine but 2 super nice, quiet introverts made the initial find a friend phase hard. They both switched dorms after winter break to live with other people.
His school has zero questionnaire or other tools that the school would use to pair kids- it’s truly random.

essnce629
04-24-2022, 08:16 PM

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)My son went random. He's at a small liberal arts college and everyone there goes random as far as I know as they seem to have a great system. DS and his roommate got along fine, but because of the over enrollment issue that many schools struggled with this past fall (vs under enrolled in fall 2020), they were placed in off campus dorms instead of the usual on campus freshman dorms. It was actually an old hospital converted to dorms and their room was giant as they were in the "delivery room." It was the smallest dorm though and the most isolated, so DS moved into his frat house right before winter break and his roommate was able to move to an on campus freshman dorm at the same time. DS will be in the frat house next year too so we don't have to worry about storing stuff over summer or bringing much home.

gymnbomb
04-24-2022, 09:12 PM

For the one I am in it is more sophomore and juniors parents looking for roommates. Some are kids whose originally planned roommates pulled out of the arrangement for whatever reason, and others are kids who planned to live on campus another year but are way down the waiting list and are now scrambling to find a place off campus.

But yes, I find it very odd! I had a lot of different living arrangements in college. I shared a dorm room with a friend from high school, I shared a dorm room with a random person, I had my own apartment, and I shared a house with some other girls I had met when I lived in the dorm. But I definitely never would have had my parents look for a roommate for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KpbS
04-24-2022, 11:49 PM
I had a horrible assigned roommate sophomore year and very much wish there had been some sort of match system in place. She stole my care package food and ate it on my bed, leaving the trash behind.

There is no parent group for the school DS1 is likely to attend. :shrug:

khm
04-25-2022, 10:21 AM
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZTd4Ws7vq/

This TikTok blew up RIGHT after my parent facebook group blew up with a mom complaining about her kid's 8 pm exams - big feelings on both sides of that one. I honestly double-checked if this TikTok mom was in our group b/c it sounded just like what I see on so many topics! Alas, "same" group, different school.

My daughter couldn't get herself to do any of the social media roommate matching. It just made her cringe to her bones. She knew a lot of kids that did fine with random, so she did random. It did not go well!!

But, there are people who matched and met prior who also did not go well when they actually lived together. (shrug). My daughter's roommate moved out and my daughter was then able to move in a friend who was transferring in after not liking her initial college choice, nor her matched roommate who she'd spent a lot of time with over the summer. She really expected they'd get along fine, but that was NOT at all the case!

There is a lot of drama with cramming kids newly on their own into tiny spaces, always has been, always will be.

bisous
04-25-2022, 02:00 PM
DS1 just went through this! He opted to choose his roommate from lots of options, lol. He will at least have similar interests in entertainment and music and similar schedules. We'll see if it pans out for him!

Regarding FB groups, I feel like it just goes to show how incredibly lucky we all are to have the BBB. Inevitably when I find another interest group it is never QUITE as helpful, informative, or level headed as this little board! I think that's why we've all stayed here, moving seamlessly from night wakings, to potty training, to middle school and now the BBB goes to college. :)

AnnieW625
04-25-2022, 02:07 PM

Yep me too! And then it was on the university to make a change of things didn’t work out. I hope DD1 does the same thing. I have heard of friendships being ruined when HS friends became roommates.

mom2binsd
04-25-2022, 08:39 PM

DD is a freshman at a large school (55K) and she found her room mate through the Facebook page (we joked it was like Tinder for roommates). They chatted a lot online, then Facetimed and then she and I drove up and had lunch/spent the afternoon with her roommates family (we are about 2 hours from them). It was great, and they even said if they didn't feel it was going to work it was ok after the meet to decide not too live together. Our families get along great, both younger brothers play travel hockey and we are all Blackhawk and Cubs fans. We coordinated a lot (had a parent/kid group chat for supplies for the room), went for lunch together at move in and have done a few other social things together. Girls tend to use the Facebook route, I have also heard that some kids use Discord.

I cringe when I see mom's looking for roommates for their kid. DD did all of her applications herself and pretty much took care of everything, would send me the info I needed to input etc. A few boys I know just left it to chance and it's been fine. Our dorms have a lottery to actually pick your dorm (except if you are in a LLC and they get specific dorms), DD and her roommate prioritized A/C and location and are fine with their dorm (not the newest but it's in the "six pack" so they are happy but both moving into an apt next year (so much cheaper but they had to start looking in October for a place).

StantonHyde
04-25-2022, 11:09 PM

I found that one of his HS a classmate’s parents got in trouble on the college FB parent page. It is a well known college with Jewish roots and a very active alumni. I knew plenty of people that went there that weren’t Jewish, but there is a group that goes there that is. I mean it’s like a Catholic college, KWIM? So there was information about the homecoming and it included things like Sabbath celebration Friday evening. The parents posted a snarky message about WHAT activity would be scheduled at that time slot for the Christian parents. It did not go over well. I felt bad from their kid.

At the newer Catholic HS in our area, there were a number of non-Catholic families who sent their kids. No big deal. We're not Catholic either. Butttt....they wanted their kid to be able to get out of the religion classes. ummmmm, who get's to tell them that's why the school exists??? The principal had to send out a big all school email even. yeesh. You should know what you signed up for....

StantonHyde
04-25-2022, 11:11 PM
They really do have their merits. It’s easy to tune things out and focus on the overwhelming helpful info.

Eta- I don’t know how people not on those pages know, for example, that you have to (and can) book your hotel for graduation as soon as the ceremonies end in spring for the next year. Or what popular hotel holds a lottery for rooms and how to enter that. There are so many things that I would have had to learn the hard way if I turned my back on this resource.

Oh, I am totally there for the awesome parent who put together a spread sheet of recommended (and NOT) area hotels. That's what I love! Just have to ignore the rest.

StantonHyde
04-25-2022, 11:20 PM
My niece did the Facebook or Discord thing and found someone she thought was good. The 2 of them were put in a quad with 2 other girls who had known each other in HS and weren't really looking to expand getting to know people. And the roommate turned out to be a Bible thumping vegan--not what my niece was looking for. She doesn't spend a lot of time in her room. I worry about what an absolute slob DS can be. We have told him he can't live like that!! I remember my brother put a line down the middle of his room in freshman year and told his slob of a roommate that everything had to stay on each person's side. :hysterical: I am lucky and went to a school where I had my own room for 4 years. It was a small room, but it was mine!

WatchingThemGrow
04-27-2022, 07:02 AM
Wait...i missed it stantonhyde, where is your DS going?

dogmom
04-27-2022, 06:05 PM
At the newer Catholic HS in our area, there were a number of non-Catholic families who sent their kids. No big deal. We're not Catholic either. Butttt....they wanted their kid to be able to get out of the religion classes. ummmmm, who get's to tell them that's why the school exists??? The principal had to send out a big all school email even. yeesh. You should know what you signed up for....

Oh, that’s weird actually. The catholic schools when I grew up (1970’s) definitely allowed the non-Catholic kids to opt out of the religious classes. I think my point was there was programming for three days, and just one that focused on the Jewish faith and somehow these parents wanted counter programming for the non-Jewish time during Friday night dinner. Just go out to dinner!

StantonHyde
04-27-2022, 09:56 PM
Wait...i missed it stantonhyde, where is your DS going?

Cal Poly SLO!! For City and Regional Planning. I am super excited for him. Now I have just have to contact some offices to get his "scaffolding" in place for his 504 needs. He can and does advocate for himself. I just want to make sure we get it set up if/when he needs it.

StantonHyde
04-27-2022, 09:59 PM
Oh, that’s weird actually. The catholic schools when I grew up (1970’s) definitely allowed the non-Catholic kids to opt out of the religious classes. I think my point was there was programming for three days, and just one that focused on the Jewish faith and somehow these parents wanted counter programming for the non-Jewish time during Friday night dinner. Just go out to dinner!

My point is--of course there is going to programming for members of Jewish faith at that school. If folks didn't want that, then go elsewhere. And to your point--the programming wasn't mandatory. Go do anything else you want :-)

SnuggleBuggles
04-27-2022, 10:07 PM
My point is--of course there is going to programming for members of Jewish faith at that school. If folks didn't want that, then go elsewhere. And to your point--the programming wasn't mandatory. Go do anything else you want :-)

The number of parents at ds1’s public university that were up in arms about not having Good Friday off or their kid having a big project to work on that weekend was ridiculous. It’s a public school. If religious observance was that crucial then you should have chosen a school in line with your religious needs…or familiarized yourself with the normal policies and considered them when making a school selection. And, I bet the parents were complaining way more than the kids were- as with everything on the parent page. Kids roll with things way, way better than the parents seem to.

chlobo
04-28-2022, 05:35 PM

My DDs school doesn't allow you to pick a roomate, even if you know someone. They have you fill out a questionnaire and go from there. Having a horrible experience my freshman year I am all for the school trying to do a better job than picking a person out of the hat.

WatchingThemGrow
04-29-2022, 06:24 AM
Cal Poly SLO!! For City and Regional Planning. I am super excited for him. Now I have just have to contact some offices to get his "scaffolding" in place for his 504 needs. He can and does advocate for himself. I just want to make sure we get it set up if/when he needs it.

Congratulations to him! That sounds exciting, and way to go, mama, for getting things in place for his success!!! It's a good reminder to do that for my 504 kid for next year.

KrisM
04-29-2022, 07:07 AM

Congrats! That's awesome. Looks like such a good place to be.

I'm on a few of those parents pages. Slowly dropping them as decisions are made. There are some comments that really make me wonder! But some are really good with a lot of great information.

AnnieW625
04-30-2022, 06:40 AM

Congratulations to your DS! We just visited there in February and it is DD1’s current top choice (granted that may change in the next two years), but she liked it best. Our tour guide did mention he did order DoorDash a bunch because it is quick and easy but he didn’t say anything about the dorm food being awful. He also recommended we go to the Farmers Market on Thursdays and we did and had fun.

Also I recommend the Kinney Hotel as it is close to campus and almost walking distance to downtown (we didn’t walk as it was still a little cold). Firestone’s is good for a quick bite and Woodstock’s Pizza is always good (it was my favorite in San Diego, and post college in Davis), and Mo’s BBQ is supposed to be yummy (we didn’t eat there this time though).

dogmom
04-30-2022, 08:58 AM
The number of parents at ds1’s public university that were up in arms about not having Good Friday off or their kid having a big project to work on that weekend was ridiculous. It’s a public school. If religious observance was that crucial then you should have chosen a school in line with your religious needs…or familiarized yourself with the normal policies and considered them when making a school selection. And, I bet the parents were complaining way more than the kids were- as with everything on the parent page. Kids roll with things way, way better than the parents seem to.

Do their kids usually do the Stations of the Cross on Good Friday??? I doubt the majority of those people were actually complaining on a religious basis so much as a family tradition basis. The Jesuit Priests I’ve know would definitely argue applying yourself to academic matters while spending the rest of the holy days in quiet contemplation and going to Mass would be completely in keeping of the religious observance, lol. Especially Easter which moves around every year, hard to program for that. Although I doubt FB parents group is the place to have a nuanced discussion of the conflation of cultural norms in a predominantly Christian country vs actually religious observance.

essnce629
04-30-2022, 03:56 PM
Congratulations to your DS! We just visited there in February and it is DD1’s current top choice (granted that may change in the next two years), but she liked it best. Our tour guide did mention he did order DoorDash a bunch because it is quick and easy but he didn’t say anything about the dorm food being awful.

Cal Poly Slo is actually known for having horrible food! It's been like that for decades and is actually a joke between many who attended. It's an amazing school though and I know a few kids going there in the fall, but yeah, they're known for having not good food!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220430/5b074a855e77b3730f9508ed54e97b5f.jpg

StantonHyde
04-30-2022, 09:36 PM
My kid lives on junk food so he may be right at home!!!!!

Gracemom
05-01-2022, 04:03 PM
My daughter's college is not known for having very good food. So many parents complained on Facebook that they took down the parent Facebook page! She said food is better now though.

SnuggleBuggles
05-01-2022, 04:17 PM
My daughter's college is not known for having very good food. So many parents complained on Facebook that they took down the parent Facebook page! She said food is better now though.

Our parent FB page isn’t run by the school. Our moderators did turn on moderator approval for all posts and they won’t let topics get belabored. I could see them turning off endless food whining. [emoji6]

MMMommy
05-02-2022, 08:12 PM
Are you all seeing a ton of posts by the parents in these parent college FB groups where the parent posts glamour shots of his/her student, complete with every detail imaginable about the child? I am seeing posts that leave little to the imagination-- where the student lives, the student's major/area of interest for studies, every activity the student has done throughout his/her lifetime, list of the student's passions and interests. I am seeing every detail about the student being posted by the parent, short of the student's social security number and mother's maiden name. Maybe I'm just overly cautious, but does anyone else think that's a bit TMI before the student has even stepped foot onto campus as a student? I know parents are proud, but maybe a little privacy for the student would be appreciated.

StantonHyde
05-02-2022, 11:42 PM
Are you all seeing a ton of posts by the parents in these parent college FB groups where the parent posts glamour shots of his/her student, complete with every detail imaginable about the child? I am seeing posts that leave little to the imagination-- where the student lives, the student's major/area of interest for studies, every activity the student has done throughout his/her lifetime, list of the student's passions and interests. I am seeing every detail about the student being posted by the parent, short of the student's social security number and mother's maiden name. Maybe I'm just overly cautious, but does anyone else think that's a bit TMI before the student has even stepped foot onto campus as a student? I know parents are proud, but maybe a little privacy for the student would be appreciated.

It is very clear from these that the kid is the parent's social statement!!! Most of the ones I see are the kid is going to the college and what major. Not bad. And then there are the ones you described--and the parents are trying to find the kid a roommate. yeesh

khm
05-03-2022, 11:50 AM

Lol, no, I don't see that on the parent page I'm on. It wouldn't surprise me to see it though.

It probably is a roommate-finder grab. For pete's sake - LET THE KID FIGURE IT OUT!! There are a bunch of experienced parents who would eventually shut that down and tell them to tell their KID to go to the STUDENT roommate-finder page, that this isn't a parent page issue.

My kid did a random roommate. It was a bad, bad fit. This girl had mental health issues that were difficult to live with. But, ya know what, my kid learned life-lessons from that! It was up to her to navigate it all, not her parents. The roommate did move out, my daughter learned to advocate for herself with the housing department to secure a roommate she knew was transferring to the U in a month's time. It was a unique situation that the website / housing portal didn't address. She couldn't just click a button and make it work, she had to talk to them directly and ask for what she wanted.

essnce629
05-03-2022, 12:09 PM

Yikes! [emoji15] Is this a school in the south? I can't imagine a post like that at my son's tiny PNW liberal arts college!

An incoming freshman mom posted in our group yesterday asking which social media the incoming students used to find roommates. Every single response was to trust the school's process and let the school match the students.

Globetrotter
05-04-2022, 04:44 PM
Ha! Overall I find the group helpful (slac) but there are always those few parents who complain about everything. I have seen all the benefits my kid has compared to my friend’s kids, so I feel like saying get over it! :)

StantonHyde
05-04-2022, 10:52 PM
Yeah, this is for a university of around 20K students. As a SLAC graduate, what does anybody have to complain about??? :ROTFLMAO:We got sooo much attention!!!