PDA

View Full Version : Air horns at graduation

ncat
06-22-2022, 10:05 PM
DD's graduation was tonight. The airhorns were awful - I have some sensitivity to loud noises and spent too much time cringing and covering my ears. I may have to skip my DS's graduations or wear ear plugs. I've been through three of my own graduations and don't remember having to deal with this at any of them, though I was younger and probably less grumpy.

Also many, many cigars - yuck!

KpbS
06-23-2022, 12:55 AM
I’ve never heard of air horns or cigars at a graduation! Wow, it does sound obnoxious! :(

NCGrandma
06-23-2022, 10:10 AM
I’ve never heard of air horns or cigars at a graduation! Wow, it does sound obnoxious! :(

Either would be bad enough—both would be unbearable.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

marinkitty
06-23-2022, 03:55 PM
I've never seen cigars. At DS's 8th grade graduation one dad did set off an air horn when his kid's name was called but luckily it was only once and it wasn't a long blast. Cat calling and a few kids acting out on stage was the extent of it - one kid did a prat fall and then humped the stage. Lovely. I told DS I was very thankful he was respectful. DD's high school graduation was totally under control but it was also 2021 and I think all the kids were just so grateful to have an in person ceremony that no one was about to cause problems.

ncat
06-23-2022, 05:24 PM
My ears are still ringing today and I have a moderately bad headache.

I emailed the superintendent and principal - hoping they will have and enforce rules in the future. DS1's graduation is five years off, but I am already dreading it.

bisous
06-23-2022, 06:13 PM
My BIL just attended a graduation where a few people released live doves, lol. At least those aren't too loud or stinky...I can't even with cigars! I mean air horns assault the ears so those are pretty bad too I guess!

Gracemom
06-24-2022, 10:50 AM
They banned air horns here thank goodness. My cousin's daughter put up grad photos and I was shocked to see boys with cigars. Yuck!

essnce629
06-24-2022, 02:55 PM
This was the first year ever that I've seen graduation pics with the cigars!!! So odd to me! It was for a private catholic high school.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

nfceagles
06-24-2022, 10:14 PM
This was the first year ever that I've seen graduation pics with the cigars!!! So odd to me! It was for a private catholic high school.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Same. I saw one from our HS on FB and was taken back. Thought it was weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
06-27-2022, 12:11 AM
Have never heard of air horns or cigars! How weird. I know ours even tell the kids not to put messages on their caps.

MMMommy
06-28-2022, 02:10 PM
At DD1's recent high school graduation, administration announced that air horns were prohibited. Families ignored and still used them anyways! :(

hbridge
06-28-2022, 06:11 PM
That sounds miserable!! There were none at DC's private school graduation, but I did see a lot of cigars in photos of the local public school (and other private schools). I thought the age to buy tobacco was 21 so I am not sure how the Seniors got ahold of them or what their parents might feel.

As for air horns, that sounds horrendous. Families would not be able to hear speakers or graduate names. Those things are LOUD!!!

Our graduation was held inside and there was a ton of cheering and hooting, but nothing like an AIR HORN!!!!

belovedgandp
07-01-2022, 01:30 PM
I hate the air horns. In general the really loud cheering for certain graduates rubs me wrong because it always drowns out the next student being recognized. My nephews graduated inside with lots of obnoxious behavior and horns. Drove me crazy.

DS had a class of just over 400 in an outside stadium. The administration asks for no air horns and keep applause in line. We of course managed to sit in front of one of the three groups who used an air horn.

Never seen cigars. That would bother me also and again a clear violation as campus is a tobacco free area if it did happen. Of course telling a graduating senior this is another issue....

dogmom
07-02-2022, 09:20 AM
I’ll match your air horns and raise you one obnoxious plane with banner. Summer of 2020 School Board voted to change the name of HS teams mascot from made up first people tribe name to something else, because it was 2020? We had gotten rid of the insulting and out of place mascot in a plain’s headdress a while ago. But the alumni still referred to themselves as “the tribe” and did “tomahawk chops” in stands. I mean, yuck. Majority of students wanted name change, of course vocal minority of alumni and parents went ballistic. All got sorted by start of school 20-21. So graduation June 2021. A real graduation outside. Some jerk hires a plane to fly over with a banner “X tribe forever” before ceremony. A third of audience cheers. Pretty overlapping Venn diagram of parents against masks in schools. Fine, whatever, my kids graduating and my other kid is going to a different school so I never need to talk to these people again. Plane leaves. Then the speakers start. 15 minutes later the plane comes back! It’s buzzing overhead while a student is giving their speech! They should have stopped the proceedings until the plane left, but they didn’t. Luckily it was gone by the time they called names.

SnuggleBuggles
07-02-2022, 09:27 AM
I’ll match your air horns and raise you one obnoxious plane with banner. Summer of 2020 School Board voted to change the name of HS teams mascot from made up first people tribe name to something else, because it was 2020? We had gotten rid of the insulting and out of place mascot in a plain’s headdress a while ago. But the alumni still referred to themselves as “the tribe” and did “tomahawk chops” in stands. I mean, yuck. Majority of students wanted name change, of course vocal minority of alumni and parents went ballistic. All got sorted by start of school 20-21. So graduation June 2021. A real graduation outside. Some jerk hires a plane to fly over with a banner “X tribe forever” before ceremony. A third of audience cheers. Pretty overlapping Venn diagram of parents against masks in schools. Fine, whatever, my kids graduating and my other kid is going to a different school so I never need to talk to these people again. Plane leaves. Then the speakers start. 15 minutes later the plane comes back! It’s buzzing overhead while a student is giving their speech! They should have stopped the proceedings until the plane left, but they didn’t. Luckily it was gone by the time they called names.

[emoji15]how obnoxious!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

SnuggleBuggles
07-02-2022, 09:28 AM
I admit, other parents make me hate grad ceremonies. What’s so hard about being a polite audience member??

dogmom
07-02-2022, 09:36 AM
Now I’m thinking about having some kid on the spectrum, finally getting them to the finish line, and having it ruined by sensory overload. Not just kids with this diagnosis, I know my youngest hates loud noises and avoids them.

NCGrandma
07-02-2022, 11:39 AM
I admit, other parents make me hate grad ceremonies. What’s so hard about being a polite audience member??

I know that many people enjoy (well-run) graduation ceremonies but I think the last one of mine I attended was my HS grad (back in the Stone Age). It was disrupted by a bomb threat back when those were extremely uncommon. I managed to skip both my college and grad school ceremonies without any regret. (I did attend DC's HS, college and grad school ceremonies, but those were all pretty uneventful.)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)