PDA

View Full Version : Really Apple? You couldn't just throw in the brick when buying a brand new phone?

bisous
09-02-2022, 01:14 PM
I love Apple products. I have a bunch of them. But man the last two products I have purchased have come with those rapid charging cords BUT NOT THE BRICK THAT THEY PLUG INTO! So our latest phone upgrade for DH and the air pods we pay all this money I feel like it would just make me feel a lot better if they included the dumb $20 brick thingy. Instead I have to prioritize whether I charge my air pods or my phone. I know it is not a big deal but it is just seriously such a cheap business model. Why do they do that? (Is the answer because they can??)

o_mom
09-02-2022, 02:13 PM
I love Apple products. I have a bunch of them. But man the last two products I have purchased have come with those rapid charging cords BUT NOT THE BRICK THAT THEY PLUG INTO! So our latest phone upgrade for DH and the air pods we pay all this money I feel like it would just make me feel a lot better if they included the dumb $20 brick thingy. Instead I have to prioritize whether I charge my air pods or my phone. I know it is not a big deal but it is just seriously such a cheap business model. Why do they do that? (Is the answer because they can??)

It's actually supposed to be a sustainability thing. Many people who have bought a bunch of apple stuff over the years have a bunch of these laying around, so they stopped including them. It also decreases the packaging size and shipping costs.

If you need to get another one, I would look at a wireless charger (not the apple one) - they are relatively cheap on Amazon, and you save the wear and tear on the charging port (usually the thing that ends the life of our phones).

khm
09-02-2022, 02:50 PM
It's actually supposed to be a sustainability thing. Many people who have bought a bunch of apple stuff over the years have a bunch of these laying around, so they stopped including them. It also decreases the packaging size and shipping costs.

If you need to get another one, I would look at a wireless charger (not the apple one) - they are relatively cheap on Amazon, and you save the wear and tear on the charging port (usually the thing that ends the life of our phones).

They sustainability thing doesn't hold water for me when they switched the USB end to a USB-C end. So, now you need a new USB-C brick for new cords going forward.

But now - your USB cars, your upgraded USB wall outlets that you put in the kitchen desk area, your non-Apple laptop and a zillion other things aren't going to work as the old Lightning/USB cables die and you end up with all USB-C to Lightning cables. Grrrr.

bisous
09-02-2022, 03:06 PM
They sustainability thing doesn't hold water for me when they switched the USB end to a USB-C end. So, now you need a new USB-C brick for new cords going forward.

But now - your USB cars, your upgraded USB wall outlets that you put in the kitchen desk area, your non-Apple laptop and a zillion other things aren't going to work as the old Lightning/USB cables die and you end up with all USB-C to Lightning cables. Grrrr.

That’s my issue! I can’t use the USB ports, which I have in abundance. With 6 devices that have USB-C to lightning cords we only have three places we can actually plug them in (bricks)

NCGrandma
09-02-2022, 04:03 PM
This issue comes up regularly on various Apple boards. Apparently many European countries now require that companies no longer include the charging plug, for environmental reasons. Certainly there are folks who need to buy one separately, but for many of us, we’ve got plenty lying around.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

bisous
09-02-2022, 06:16 PM
This issue comes up regularly on various Apple boards. Apparently many European countries now require that companies no longer include the charging plug, for environmental reasons. Certainly there are folks who need to buy one separately, but for many of us, we’ve got plenty lying around.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Well, I suppose in that case I'd be so much happier if they just gave me a $20 credit so I could go buy one "if I wanted it". I know that sounds silly. It just feels obscene to pay so much for their products and then have to spend more to use it properly!

carolinamama
09-02-2022, 07:18 PM
That’s my issue! I can’t use the USB ports, which I have in abundance. With 6 devices that have USB-C to lightning cords we only have three places we can actually plug them in (bricks)

I'm not a techie and it's going to show with this question.....should we not be charging our airpods and new phones that came with the lightning cords with our old school USB bricks and cords if that's what's available at the time? I don't have any qualms with the new cables - we've bought some bricks and my car has both USB and USB-C ports but sometimes the closest charger is the regular USB brick and cable so I use it. Bad idea?

georgiegirl
09-02-2022, 10:28 PM
I'm not a techie and it's going to show with this question.....should we not be charging our airpods and new phones that came with the lightning cords with our old school USB bricks and cords if that's what's available at the time? I don't have any qualms with the new cables - we've bought some bricks and my car has both USB and USB-C ports but sometimes the closest charger is the regular USB brick and cable so I use it. Bad idea?

My new iPad doesn’t like the old chargers. But my phone is fine with either

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

o_mom
09-03-2022, 04:09 PM

Cords are cheap - $3-5 for a USB-A to lightning cables, which has worked just fine for any of the apple products we have (iPhone 12/13, iPad mini). We have a couple of USB-C adapters from our Android phones, but otherwise, they are using the old USB-A adapters from previous phones.

o_mom
09-03-2022, 04:10 PM

We have had no issues with this - they all seem pretty interchangeable. Some of the older bricks are lower wattage, so charge slower, but that's it. Only a few of ours are even "official Apple" - most are from Android phones.

jgenie
09-03-2022, 04:45 PM
I too would have liked to receive everything I needed when we bought our new phones. We tend to,lose things so having a couple new cords is convenient.

KpbS
09-05-2022, 10:26 PM
We definitely need additional cords for our devices as our rabbit finds them delicious. :D

I feel like I'm paying enough, just give me the accessories.

ncat
09-08-2022, 10:17 AM
Same issue with Samsung. It's infuriating because I don't have anything to plug the usb-c into. And our wireless charger is apparently older technology that isn't fully compatible.