PDA

View Full Version : DS is so stressed

KpbS
12-07-2022, 04:39 PM
It's finals time and DS is going to pieces. He gets himself so incredibly stressed out by the process, not perfection. He's overwhelmed with it all which makes him absolutely miserable to be around. :6::gloomy:

gatorsmom
12-07-2022, 05:08 PM
It's finals time and DS is going to pieces. He gets himself so incredibly stressed out by the process, not perfection. He's overwhelmed with it all which makes him absolutely miserable to be around. :6::gloomy:

Does he pray? The great thing about prayer is it doesn’t cost anything and it’s no-risk. It’s very similar to meditating. A nice simple one is this: “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference”.

Praying for others is also very soothing too.

I hope things calm down for him soon. :hug:

georgiegirl
12-07-2022, 05:35 PM
DD has struggled with this on occasion. She’s a total perfectionist and over commits herself and doesn’t have the ability (yet) to know when you stop. I try to connect with her and reassure her it’s okay to not be the best at everything, and that getting a B won’t change her future. I’ll ask her, “what’s the worst case scenario?” She will usually respond, “I’ll get an A-“. And then I make some sort of ridiculous statement like, “well I guess that will ruin your life then” or “yeah, colleges definitely won’t want you if you get an A-.” She usually recognizes that she’s over stressed and needs a break. For her connecting with friends is usually the most beneficial. Sometimes baking something elaborate. Sometimes a small fun activity. Personally I prefer exercise and music (curated motivational songs.)

bisous
12-08-2022, 03:04 PM
Oh no! I'm sorry he's so stressed. That's so hard to watch as a parent. Since it is the process and not because he is a perfectionist, is there anyway he can tweak his routine or his mindset to make it less stressful?

KpbS
12-11-2022, 11:44 PM
Yes, thank you all.
I needed to remind him to pray and pray with him as well. First final out of the way last Th and final ACT taken Sat. Paper submitted today, study schedule made, finals countdown underway.

Gotta breathe, exercise to bust the stress, and get through it. One week left.

hbridge
12-16-2022, 02:19 PM
We are right there with you, except DC is living on campus so I just get the panicked phone calls. Exams have never stressed them out before, but this Freshman college math final sent them into a tailspin!

One more exam and then they are home. I think the break is very much needed at this point.

Tenasparkl
12-16-2022, 03:11 PM
DD has struggled with this on occasion. She’s a total perfectionist and over commits herself and doesn’t have the ability (yet) to know when you stop. I try to connect with her and reassure her it’s okay to not be the best at everything, and that getting a B won’t change her future. I’ll ask her, “what’s the worst case scenario?” She will usually respond, “I’ll get an A-“. And then I make some sort of ridiculous statement like, “well I guess that will ruin your life then” or “yeah, colleges definitely won’t want you if you get an A-.” She usually recognizes that she’s over stressed and needs a break. For her connecting with friends is usually the most beneficial. Sometimes baking something elaborate. Sometimes a small fun activity. Personally I prefer exercise and music (curated motivational songs.)

This sounds VERY familiar!