PDA

View Full Version : I’m tired of Christmas this year. :(

gatorsmom
12-18-2022, 11:50 AM
I’m kind of ashamed to say this because I see the end of the years my kids are home during Christmas preparations. But this year hasn’t been fun. None of my kids gave me any gift ideas so I’m guessing and keeping my fingers crossed. They have made it clear what they DONT want any “cringe” funny tshirts. Seriously!!?? Those and funny socks always made them laugh. Not this year. They are cringe I guess. And gettin them to help with ornaments or meal prep or help cleaning the house is met with, “ I have studying/recital practicing/drivers Ed/online language lessons to do. Sorry, I’m too busy”. And then there has been the sickness. Everyone has been really sick. And I’ve been trying to work on studying with ds3 at night for finals. And then there are the board meetings which usually happen without much work but this year there have been extra meetings to establish COLA pay raises which have to be higher than usual because of the high inflation (which is really hurting this non profit). And even though I started redecorating the twins rooms in September, the decorator and painter chose December to finally come and finish the kids’ rooms. Seriously? Aren’t they busy in December too?

I didn’t order enough Christmas cards but now it’s too late so some people aren’t getting one this year. And I have a kid coming home from college tonight so I should wrap his big gifts which have an image of what they contain on the outside. I wish I could just wrap them and sit them under the tree but I don’t have the ornaments on yet. :(

SnuggleBuggles
12-18-2022, 12:22 PM
I said "forget it" this year with the tree. It has lights, garland and a few generic ornaments (a box of Target white glitter snowflakes and a few balls). I didn't bring up all of our sentimental ornaments and I don't miss them. I told the family that if they cared/missed them then they were welcome to get the ornaments out and decorate- no one has cared. I am appreciating downsizing things! Clean up is going to be so much easier post-season!
I also didn't get enough cards. Oops! But, oh well.
Usually I wrap gifts while watching some cheesy holiday movies to get in the spirit. I instead wrapped while watching a raunchy show on HBO and being perfectly content being less Christmas-y.
At least the kids still want to do some of our family tradition outings so that's nice! But we have been so busy with sports and activities that we haven't really done anything Christmas-y at all at home and it's kinda weird!

jgenie
12-18-2022, 01:27 PM
The World Cup at this time of year has really thrown a wrench into my Christmas plans. I am so glad today is the last day but really would have appreciated if it had finished last week.

SnuggleBuggles
12-18-2022, 01:36 PM
The World Cup at this time of year has really thrown a wrench into my Christmas plans. I am so glad today is the last day but really would have appreciated if it had finished last week.

So true!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

hbridge
12-18-2022, 01:47 PM
We are low keying Christmas this year. We put the tree up over Thanksgiving, so that was helpful. The cards/gifts are sent, gifts are wrapped (not that I have many ideas for anyone), house is "relatively" clean. I have not baked anything yet, don't have meals planned, haven't really thought about where guests are staying... College age DC comes home tomorrow, maybe they will help me get in the spirit.

DH just announced he is home for the next two weeks and wants to ski... every day... He is not happy that DC and I have appointments, ect. If I had known he had this week off, I would have rescheduled some stuff. But he told me on Friday...

I think Christmas is just too much and mothers get the brunt of it. Every year we low key a little more. If it was just us, the plans might be different, but we have elderly family to consider.

nfceagles
12-18-2022, 02:40 PM
I feel you. For many similar reasons.

I had an unspoken intention to make my senior’s last childhood Christmas special, but life has gotten crazy. College applications season and an ED rejection killed any hope for that. Our winter break this year feels too short too. Only one week plus a day. Otherwise, I think I’d be looking forward to catching our breath and enjoying some down time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tenasparkl
12-18-2022, 03:38 PM

Yes! We've been watching so much World Cup and had two different sets of visitors since Thanksgiving. We haven't gotten enough of our December/holiday prep done!

DualvansMommy
12-18-2022, 04:15 PM
This year is my youngest kiddo last year with believing in Santa. It’s bittersweet but honestly semi happy too, as for last 11 xmases I’ve always gone and above every year, and I’m tired too. But you guys have been doing it much longer too!

It’s the combination of knowing it’s the last real Xmas, lots of sickness going around and my divorce that makes things feel heavy for me this year.

Also recognize in every other areas of my life, I’ve been prioritizing myself first more and more. Too many women and mothers stress themselves in trying to make everyone else happy, no more of that for next Xmas and any other important milestones too. Everyone deserve a moment of peace, joy and happiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

essnce629
12-18-2022, 04:31 PM
I think we as women/moms need to say no way more often. Every mom I know is extremely stressed right now. My best friend is a teacher and they are working till the 23rd this year. She had a full blown mental breakdown this week from doing way too much, including having 10 little girls over yesterday for her DDs 10th birthday. For whatever reason moms are more likely to give into the pressure or there is none for men. For instance, the girl's volleyball coach at DS2's club has a 2 year old AND just had baby #2 this week! She was at practice this week with both kids and they had a Christmas themed practice with ugly sweaters, reindeer antlers, and secret Santa gifts! She literally must have just given birth 2 days prior since she still had a huge belly and I assumed she hadn't had her baby yet. Her husband is a coach too so he literally could have taken over while she recovered at home. On the other hand, DS2's coach is a 24 year old single guy. There's no themed practice, matching outfits, or gifts and that's totally 100% fine and preferred!

In my own house I'm definitely doing way less this year. DH has been on crutches/knee scooter since the beginning of Nov so can't help do anything or drive. I just finished 2 classes and my own finals were 3 days ago. Normally DH goes out and gets a fresh Christmas tree and it sits undecorated until I get around to putting the lights on. This year I said F it. I ordered a prelit fake tree from Amazon that also has berries and pinecones on it. I put it up in 20 minutes and it looks so pretty without any ornaments. We have a psycho 5 month old kitten who climbs everything so we're doing zero ornaments on it. I didn't take out a single decoration until after my finals and I didn't do a Christmas card yet (maybe I'll do a new year's one if I get around to it). DS2 was sick for a week and then so exhausted that I thought he had mono, but now seems ok. We finally started his neuropsych testing on Friday and DS1 just got home from college last night. DH can't drive so he hasn't been able to pick DS2 up from volleyball practice. This week I had DH order him a HopSkipDrive (Uber for kids) so he could get to practice during my finals). Last week my mom was picking him up but then she tested positive for covid right before leaving to go get him so I had to leave in the middle of my class to go get him myself. I've barely bought any gifts so far and have zero stocking stuffers. Every year we make tamales but this year it seems like too much.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Tenasparkl
12-18-2022, 05:46 PM
I think we as women/moms need to say no way more often. Every mom I know is extremely stressed right now. My best friend is a teacher and they are working till the 23rd this year. She had a full blown mental breakdown this week from doing way too much, including having 10 little girls over yesterday for her DDs 10th birthday. For whatever reason moms are more likely to give into the pressure or there is none for men. For instance, the girl's volleyball coach at DS2's club has a 2 year old AND just had baby #2 this week! She was at practice this week with both kids and they had a Christmas themed practice with ugly sweaters, reindeer antlers, and secret Santa gifts! She literally must have just given birth 2 days prior since she still had a huge belly and I assumed she hadn't had her baby yet. Her husband is a coach too so he literally could have taken over while she recovered at home. On the other hand, DS2's coach is a 24 year old single guy. There's no themed practice, matching outfits, or gifts and that's totally 100% fine and preferred!

I know exactly who you mean! I saw pics of DD's friends at their volleyball party with ugly seaters a newborn baby. Small world! I think they had a tournament all this weekend too!

elbenn
12-18-2022, 06:19 PM
This year I have done less decorating because we were gone for Thanksgiving and then when we got back, I got sick--two weeks later, I still have fluid in my ears from a sinus infection (which is driving me crazy). So, I scaled back and decorated our main areas, but I didn't do upstairs decorations (I usually do another tree upstairs and plenty of decorations there). We did less outdoor lights, too.

essnce629
12-18-2022, 06:27 PM
I know exactly who you mean! I saw pics of DD's friends at their volleyball party with ugly seaters a newborn baby. Small world! I think they had a tournament all this weekend too!Yes! I just dropped DS2 off at practice and she was just arriving! I talked to her and she said she had a waterbirth at a birth center and was home 2 hours later, so that's why she was at practice THE NEXT DAY! [emoji3061] She gave birth on Monday.

gatorsmom
12-19-2022, 06:42 AM

I think it’s important to be fair here. I’m usually all about skewering men for women getting an unfair deal but in this case, I think the men should be emulated. Let’s be honest, most of the holiday work we put on ourselves. Women are just as likely to be Clark Griswolds at Christmas time. I will admit most of my Christmas craziness is of my own making. Any woman who gives birth should not be scheduling volleyball practice 2 days later and not pushed off onto her dh (who should also be at home helping with the baby). Not sure if that’s what you meant but just thought we should place blame where it’s due. ;)

I will say Dh this year has been great. When the painter and interior decorator called to say they were finally going to get around to helping us this month, and calls went out that extra board meetings were being scheduled, I asked for dh’s help. And he has definitely come through. He put up all the outdoor lights, he put up the tree, the lights and he and dd put the first layer of tree decorations on. He’s kept up all the dirty dishes and cleaned out the garage so we could park in it when the snow came (ds2 has had numerous projects filling our garage and refused to clean up his mess). In my own defense, when DD’s Christmas dance schedule was announced and was 4 performances more than I expected, I canceled my crafting group for the month and I canceled some other Christmas party plans. It was so nice not having to worry about that crafting group activity this month. Now I can actually enjoy watching dd dance. so at least that went right this month. :)

georgiegirl
12-19-2022, 08:39 AM
This video is so true

https://youtu.be/FOVCtUdaMCU

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
12-19-2022, 09:51 AM
This video is so true

Luckily my people are good gift givers but I totally feel that video (I rewatch it annually along with https://youtu.be/4WvwX18oMR4 )

This year I figured out what I really wanted for Christmas and asked for it from the kids- they are in charge of cooking the Christmas morning brunch for my family!

Twoboos
12-19-2022, 11:08 AM
Agree. I'm not really feeling it, just going through the motions.

We saved DD1's christmas ornaments to put in the tree when she got home from college. She was literally like "This is SO boring, can someone help me?!? You're not even doing anything!!" :irked:

I told DH this is the last year for christmas cards - choosing/agreeing on the pics, the layout, envelopes stamping addressing.... I'm DONE and no one cares now that the kids will be out of HS. He was aghast - "We can't not do cards! We ALWAYS do cards!" I said no, WE do not do cards - *I* do cards. So no. He can feel free to do them next year.

gatorsmom
12-19-2022, 11:21 AM
I told DH this is the last year for christmas cards - choosing/agreeing on the pics, the layout, envelopes stamping addressing.... I'm DONE and no one cares now that the kids will be out of HS. He was aghast - "We can't not do cards! We ALWAYS do cards!" I said no, WE do not do cards - *I* do cards. So no. He can feel free to do them next year.

ITA with you. Christmas cards are not essential. I hope he does a good job for you guys next year. :) As it happens, this is exactly the speech I gave Dh and the kids about Thanksgiving a few years ago. I was tired of having 2 months of utter stress and told them if they cared about Thanksgiving, they could make it happen. I have to say, I love Thanksgiving so much now that I don’t have to plan any of it and don’t care what happens. ;)

gatorsmom
12-19-2022, 11:35 AM
This video is so true

This was me one year. I asked for 2 things and I only got one of them. I got other junk I hated. I was so sad that day and from then on, I buy my own gifts. I wrap them up too. Now I look forward to Christmas! I’m a very generous Santa. ;) I forgave dh and the kids a long time ago for being terrible gift-givers.

This year I figured out what I really wanted for Christmas and asked for it from the kids- they are in charge of cooking the Christmas morning brunch for my family!

This is GENIUS and I’m making this announcement to my family today! Woohoo, I won’t have to cook on Christmas Day!!

marinkitty
12-19-2022, 12:02 PM
I thought this article was spot on - and the idea of Marie Kondo-ing Christmas makes so much sense when it's us doing all the work. I've been changing and downscaling our holiday traditions for a few years now as the kids got older and didn't get as much out of (or give as much effort to) all our old traditions. Frankly, some of them they probably never cared about and some they have outgrown. When I skip something they care about, we talk about it and add it back with the understanding that it won't just be me doing the work. Much better and the holidays are so much less stressful for me!

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/09/style/opting-out-holidays-christmas.html

Twoboos- I had an identical conversation last night with my DH about cards which I skipped last year altogether and am noncommittal about sending as New Years cards this year depending on getting a good photo on our family trip and feeling like I even want the hassle of addressing etc. He offered to help so we shall see how it all pans out.

PZMommy
12-19-2022, 02:23 PM
Yes!!! I don’t even have our tree up yet. I’m in a boot awaiting major ankle surgery. Between the pain and lack of mobility I just can’t get the tree up and my husband isn’t willing to do much other than bring the boxes in the house. My kids only want cash if play station gift cards. We typically don’t do much for Christmas anyways, but this year I’m ready for it to be over.

gatorsmom
12-19-2022, 02:40 PM
Yes!!! I don’t even have our tree up yet. I’m in a boot awaiting major ankle surgery. Between the pain and lack of mobility I just can’t get the tree up and my husband isn’t willing to do much other than bring the boxes in the house. My kids only want cash if play station gift cards. We typically don’t do much for Christmas anyways, but this year I’m ready for it to be over.

If anyone has an excuse, it’s you. Relax and put your foot up! Enjoy this year because when you are feeling better next year, unfortunately everyone will expect it to be business as usual. At least, that’s how it was for me the year after my ankle surgery. :(

ged
12-19-2022, 04:30 PM
So true!!

but are you really glad it's over? lol i'm going through withdrawal...

jgenie
12-19-2022, 08:28 PM
Agree. I'm not really feeling it, just going through the motions.

We saved DD1's christmas ornaments to put in the tree when she got home from college. She was literally like "This is SO boring, can someone help me?!? You're not even doing anything!!" :irked:

Sorry your DD wasn’t excited about her ornaments.

I took DH out of the equation years ago! I would show him my favorite cards and pictures and inevitably he would pick something I was not in love with. I decided I was making all the decisions until he voiced an issue and offered to take over the card making. I think we’re in year 7 of me getting exactly what I want. I display our cards from each year on a wall in our house and walking by it fills me with joy every single time!! Absolutely giddy!!

wendibird22
12-20-2022, 10:08 AM
Not feeling it either. I'm just tired. We are on the go 24-7 and any free time I have I just want to sit and do nothing. DD2's 13th birthday was last weekend and her friend sleepover was the weekend before that, so that's 2 weekends of not getting anything holiday related done. We haven't done cookies, nothing is wrapped, holiday cards just got ordered a few days ago, and I couldn't care less about getting together with family. Our tree is up and decorated...we did that thanksgiving weekend. I was equally as pissy about Thanksgiving, which we hosted but only my mom and my ILs came. I just need a real vacation and so does DH.

ncat
12-20-2022, 10:33 AM
The gift giving and shopping stresses me out. I love giving gifts I know will be enjoyed. I hate giving gifts that will become clutter or waste. I feel sad that none of my kids seem to think they need to think about anyone besides themselves at Christmas (and clearly I am to blame on this).

lizzywednesday
12-20-2022, 10:52 AM
Apparently, it's my fault that neither DD nor I are in the holiday spirit, but, c'mon, 7th grade is kicking my butt this year so I'm all out of f^cks to give and DH is too much of a pushover to confiscate DD's devices for real until she gets her sh!t together.

PZMommy
12-20-2022, 03:08 PM
If anyone has an excuse, it’s you. Relax and put your foot up! Enjoy this year because when you are feeling better next year, unfortunately everyone will expect it to be business as usual. At least, that’s how it was for me the year after my ankle surgery. :(

Thank you! I just ordered a table top Christmas tree from Amazon, so at least it is something.

wendibird22
12-20-2022, 03:58 PM
Apparently, it's my fault that neither DD nor I are in the holiday spirit, but, c'mon, 7th grade is kicking my butt this year so I'm all out of f^cks to give and DH is too much of a pushover to confiscate DD's devices for real until she gets her sh!t together.

I feel you. 7th grader and 10th grader who are a lot this year. The day we decorated the tree and house DH took me aside and told me that the kids said I hate Christmas. He thought he was telling me that to be helpful because he knew I didn't hate Christmas and wouldn't want the kids to think I did. But what I told him was that was a very hurtful thing to say and came across like telling me I just need to smile more. Oh and the kids didn't say I hate Christmas, they said that I hate when they argue while decorating for Christmas. Which is true and which I did say to them. So DH misunderstood them and then went on to make me feel like crap about it. Fun times.

carolinamama
12-21-2022, 08:30 PM
I'm sorry you are tired of Christmas this year. It's one those for me too.

DH was there for two weeks and just got back at the end of last week. Both boys played out of town both weekends he was gone. DD had 7 friends over Saturday night for a holiday party/sleepover and DH and I had holiday parties on Friday and Sunday. I thought I was doing fine with preparations and spirit but I think that was just the need to create the "magic" and hold everything together. Now I'm spent and am having trouble getting back into the groove. Like just not feeling it at all. I think I have my kids and the cousins covered but there's nothing for my parents under the tree and I haven't planned any of the meals for this weekend. DH has done nothing and I'm really irked but trying not to think about it. This year has been heavy and I'm ready to say goodbye to 2022.

essnce629
12-21-2022, 09:35 PM
I just ordered "New Years" cards yesterday lol!