PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take Your dh to go to the grocery store?

doberbrat
02-12-2023, 08:20 PM
DH went to the grocery store to buy frozen pizzas for dinner. He drove to the one that is 2mi away, has ample parking and is never busy - not even day before Thanksgiving. He came back with 2 paper bags worth of stuff. Guess how long he took???
?
?
?
?
?
?
3h :banghead: :irked: :banghead:

Seriously! I know I should be grateful that he went but he always takes so f'ing long! A 'big' grocery trip can take 4-5h

StantonHyde
02-12-2023, 08:33 PM
What is he doing???????? That should take 30 minutes.

jgenie
02-12-2023, 10:19 PM
DH can be in and out in 20 minutes…..but he always brings home the leaking milk, bruised fruit, cracked eggs, etc. He grabs the first item he sees and then is on to the next. Checking items doesn’t enter into his thought process. I NEVER send him to the store for things anyone else is going to eat…

Snow mom
02-12-2023, 11:12 PM
DH can grocery shop I suppose, although I really try to limit it. He has an amazing ability to spend twice as much as me on the same amount of groceries. I might be a control freak, but I’d rather go myself.

ett
02-13-2023, 12:33 AM
DH rarely grocery shops and when I send him with a list he always comes back with more than what's on the list, even with strict instructions to only buy what's on the list.

georgiegirl
02-13-2023, 08:51 AM
DH rarely grocery shops and when I send him with a list he always comes back with more than what's on the list, even with strict instructions to only buy what's on the list.

This is my experience as well. I’ll tell DH to get one jar of salsa, and he will come home with 5. I think since he grew up under communism and food was sometimes scarce, he feels the need to stockpile. When he’s at the store, he will often call me several times to ask questions. The other day I sent him to the store to buy one English cucumber, which I had forgotten when I went earlier that day. He came back with tons of fruit…most of which I had already purchased that morning (grapes, blueberries, citrus.) [emoji2356]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
02-13-2023, 11:09 AM
Maybe it'll take an hour if the store is busy OR he's hungry OR he didn't bring a list, but it's very rare. It takes me about an hour and a half to do a "big shop" in a relatively empty store with DD in tow, but I haven't done that since before safer-at-home in 2020.

He has ADHD, so it's likely he'll get distracted by a shiny display or his stomach growling if he doesn't have a list.

hbridge
02-13-2023, 02:03 PM
THREE HOURS for a store 2 miles away??? Did he stop for a drink/snack/to watch the "game"??? I just came in from a store that is 20 minutes away and did a full shop... The whole trip took about 1 1/2 hours, including getting there and back!

However, I HATE grocery shopping. DC could take awhile if they were reading labels, planning meals, ect...

Hope the pizza was good :)

wendibird22
02-13-2023, 02:07 PM
DH is the main grocery shopper and cook in our family dynamic. He's the text book of the hunter vs gatherer metaphor. He goes with a list, sticks to the list, only goes down the aisles needed for the things on the list. He shops with the focus of a heat seeking missile and is out and back with as much efficiency as possible.

belovedgandp
02-13-2023, 02:22 PM
There had to be a side trip..... the pizzas would be thawed after a 3 hour trip.

I do a bulk of the shopping, but DH is good at running out for something. The store that is 1.5 miles away and back for one item, I can count on him being less than 20 minutes. Now we send the teenager, so maybe closer to 30 minutes.

When I was in college my mom had surgery and her recovery took longer than expected. She made a detailed list for the grocery store for my dad in the order of the aisles. He was gone well over two hours and she was starting to worry. He had dutifully marked each item off the list, but forgot something and went back an aisle to get it when he was 80% completed. To this day he claims someone stole his cart, but somehow he and the original cart got permanently separated and he started over. Except he marked the items out so thoroughly he had trouble reading the list for the second time through the store.

essnce629
02-13-2023, 02:28 PM
DH shops without issue. We live walking distance to Trader Joe's and he can easily go in with our list (in the Alexa app) and get what is needed. He may text me a question or 2 but otherwise is fine. He's the only one who shops at Costco because I don't enjoy going there.

I will say if you have boys and your DH sucks at shopping, to please teach your boys not to be the same, or else they will. My boys are 13 and 19 and there's many around the house things that DH was never taught and I refuse to let my sons be the same way and act as helpless and clueless as him. Even DS2 can walk to the grocery store (there's 3 within walking distance) and get a few items and pick things with the furthest out expiration dates (for baked goods, bagged salad, etc). If we don't want our sons to grow up and be just as clueless as their dads, with their partners complaining about them, then we need to break the cycle.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

carolinamama
02-14-2023, 11:35 AM
Wow what is he doing there?

When DH runs to the store, he always returns with 4x the food on the list. And calls me multiple times to ask about which brand, which size, which flavor, location in store (hello, I don't work there!), do we need more milk?, do we want burgers for dinner in 2 weeks, and more. But he doesn't take too much actual time in the store. I just know to keep my phone close :) And I remember running to Target once when my kiddos were young while my mom was watching them. It was so delightful to wander around without babies and toddlers that I lost track of time until my mom got worried and called. Maybe he's mentally and physically checking out like that? But 3 hours seems a bit excessive.

niccig
02-14-2023, 12:07 PM
DH is fine with shopping. We often go together to do the groceries. The only issue is he’ll often put too much in the cart and I know we won’t eat it all before it goes bad for perishables. I’m trying to minimize food waste

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

khm
02-14-2023, 12:34 PM
DH went to the grocery store to buy frozen pizzas for dinner. He drove to the one that is 2mi away, has ample parking and is never busy - not even day before Thanksgiving. He came back with 2 paper bags worth of stuff. Guess how long he took???
?
?
?
?
?
?
3h :banghead: :irked: :banghead:

Seriously! I know I should be grateful that he went but he always takes so f'ing long! A 'big' grocery trip can take 4-5h

Hopefully he was out buying your Valentine's Day gift. :)

My husband buys too much, and enjoys browsing around grocery stores way more than I do. But since your store is that close, that means he was supposedly IN the store for 3 hours? Nope, that's crazy. Is there a restaurant/bar/coffee shop in there?