Thread: Turkey recipes?

Default Turkey recipes?

We're trying to add more turkey to our diets to replace some of the chicken and beef. Ground turkey may be out (DH wasn't impressed by turkey burgers or turkey sausage), but I was thinking of different ways to cook turkey breasts. Other than sandwiches and turkey salad, I'm out.

Ideas?
    Stacy
    Wife to K
    Mommy to A (5) and twins E & S (1.5)

The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less. - Anna Quindlen

I wouldn't rule out the ground turkey yet. I'm not a fan of turkey burgers, but I really can't tell the difference if I substitute ground turkey in any recipe for ground beef (lasagna, chili, etc.). He might not be able to tell the difference, if you forget to mention it.

Also, we really like Al Fresca sausage. It is made with chicken. The color is lighter, so you can tell the difference, but it is really yummy.

You might just want to try some of your favorite chicken recipes if you get something like turkey cutlet (I think that is what the breasts are called?). Maybe check out tenderloin, unless you are watching sodium - IME it can be salty, but it is tender.

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We like this recipe for turkey burgers (Southwest Turkey Burgers with Corn Salsa), but I'm a fan of turkey burgers/ground turkey in general so YMMV.
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/108309

I also really like this recipe for Turkey Meatloaf, from the book Lunch Lessons: Changing the Way We Feed Our Children:

1/2 cup onion (1 small), diced small
    1/4 cup shredded carrot (1 medium) - I grated it
    1 teaspoon minced garlic (1 clove)
    1 teaspoon canola oil - I think I used olive oil
    3 pounds ground turkey
    1 teaspoon chopped parsley - I used dried
    1/2 cup Japanese bread crumbs (panko) - I used regular bread crumbs
    3 eggs
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    3 tablespoons ketchup - We love, love Annie's Naturals Organic Ketchup

1. Preheat oven to 350. Prepare an 8x4 loaf pan.
    2. In a small skillet, saute onion, garlic, and carrot in the oil until soft. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before transferring to a separate bowl.
    3. Combine the sauteed ingredients with the turkey, parsley, bread crumbs, eggs, salt, and pepper and mix well.
    4. Pack the mixture into the loaf pan, coat top with the ketchup, and bake to an internal temperature of 140 (measure with an instant read thermometer), about 45-60 minutes.

This isn't the healthiest recipe but it's delicious and uses ground chicken or turkey - Tortilla Lasagna:
    http://www.ortega.com/Recipes/detail...&BrandSiteID=3
    I think I've usually made it with ground chicken, but may have used turkey a time or two.

I also agree with PP to use ground turkey to replace ground beef in recipes - turkey meatballs, turkey meatloaf, etc.

DH hunts wild turkey so we end up with various cuts (but not ground - that comes from the grocery store). He likes to marinate the tenderloin or breasts/cutlets (?? not sure of the technical term) and then grill them. He will also cook the thigh down in the crock pot and then make turkey stock and turkey soup. I'd have to get his recipe for that, though, since I don't do much with "his" turkeys besides eat them, LOL.

Thought of another recipe that I really like. I'm not sure where I originally found it online.

Barbecued Turkey Joes
    1 lb lean ground turkey
    1/2 medium bell pepper, chopped
    1/2 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
    1/2 medium onion, chopped
    1 cup barbecue sauce
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
    4 mixed grain hamburger rolls

1. Brown turkey in a lightly oiled skillet, about 8-10 minutes. Drain off liquid. Add peppers and onion and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
    2. Add barbecue sauce and cayenne pepper; heat thoroughly, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes.
    3. Top bottom half of buns with turkey mixture; cover with top half of bun and serve.

Note - this is a good make ahead and freeze recipe. I've made double batches, frozen them, and then just thaw and reheat.

HTH and good luck!
    Last edited by caleymama; 01-19-2008 at 08:57 AM.
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

Quote Originally Posted by caleymama
    DH hunts wild turkey so we end up with various cuts (but not ground - that comes from the grocery store). He likes to marinate the tenderloin or breasts/cutlets (?? not sure of the technical term) and then grill them. He will also cook the thigh down in the crock pot and then make turkey stock and turkey soup. I'd have to get his recipe for that, though, since I don't do much with "his" turkeys besides eat them, LOL.
    DH actually hunts wild turkey too, but we usually just end up giving the meat away because I've never really cooked it. That's another reason I want to add it to our diet - it's very cost-efficient during turkey season!

Thanks for the recipes - I'll definitely be trying the turkey joes, since DH would happily eat sloppy joes every other night for the rest of his life.
    Stacy
    Wife to K
    Mommy to A (5) and twins E & S (1.5)

The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less. - Anna Quindlen

My problem with ground turkey was that I was using the extra lean kind. It was just too dry. When I switched to the regular ground turkey, it was so much better. Not quite as healthy, but the taste difference is worth it, IMO. I use ground turkey in pretty much everything that you would use ground beef in. Turkey tacos are yummy. For turkey burgers, I mix some good seasons salad dressing (mixed up, not dry) into the meat before I form the patties. It helps keep them juicy and adds some nice seasoning.
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.

danagee is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

i love these turkey meatballs from Cooking Light, when I make them just right, they taste just like beef.
    They use ground turkey but make sure you don't get the ground breast, it's too dry.

Turkey-Veggie Meatballs

Ingredients
    1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
    1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) finely shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
    1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
    1/4 cup coarsely shredded carrot
    1/4 cup coarsely shredded zucchini
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 large egg white
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    Cooking spray

Preparation
    Preheat oven to 400°.
    Combine all ingredients except cooking spray in a bowl; stir well. Shape mixture into 30 (1 1/2-inch) meatballs. Place on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until done.
    Yield
    30 meatballs (serving size: 5 meatballs)
    writeNutrient();Nutritional Information
    CALORIES 228(29% from fat); FAT 7.3g (sat 3.1g,mono 1.8g,poly 1.4g); PROTEIN 30.3g; CHOLESTEROL 71mg; CALCIUM 166mg; SODIUM 399mg; FIBER 0.8g; IRON 2.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 8.5g
    ---------------------------------------

I also love ground turkey in sloppy joes, here' the joe recipe I found on this forum:

Sloppy Joes

4 lbs hamburger
    2 ½ cups ketchup
    ½ cup vinegar
    ½ cup brown sugar
    1 tbsp horseradish
    1 tbsp Worchestire sauce
    1 tsp garlic salt (or real garlic)
    Onion chopped (optional)
    Green Pepper, carrots chopped (optional)
    Can dark red kidney or pinto beans (optional)

Brown hamburger & onion.
    Combine all ingredients with the hamburger.
    Either simmer on the stove or great in the crock pot

This recipe feeds an army so you may need to cut it in half or prepare to freeze a lot.
    ds 8/04
    dd 1/06