Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What kind of sugar/sweetener do you use?

We're trying to eat healthier, and I've been evaluating many of my standard recipes to see how I can make them better for us. I'm running into some questions about sugar and sweeteners...

We usually use just plain ol' white refined sugar. I'm guessing that might not be the healthiest option. Are sugar substitutes (splenda, etc) the way to go, or are there nutritional concerns there? Should I be using something more natural like honey or agave syrup?

Ideas or suggestions?
    Stacy
    Wife to K
    Mommy to A (5) and twins E & S (1.5)

The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less. - Anna Quindlen

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I use Splenda in my coffee, but for anything I bake, it's regular white sugar. Well, I think I actually got the organic sugar at whole foods for the pie I attempted for Christmas, but it was still just white sugar.
    I haven't done the research myself but according to my dad (who is no expert but does try to eat as healthy as possible) told me that he just stopped using Splenda because it's basically like eating Chlorine! I just spent the week with him and he went out and bought a box of C&H sugar for us because he didn't want us eating the Splenda. Now I will probably finish out the Splenda stash that is still in my cupboard now that I am home, but it does make sense to me to use the most natural ingredients even if sugar is not exactly "healthy".
    I'm curious about anyone's thoughts on other alternatives to regular sugar though.
    DD
    DS

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Our preferred choices are Sucanat, honey (raw if not using it for cooking), and pure maple syrup.
    The Sucanat we buy at our local HFS chain: http://www.wholesomesweeteners.com/b...c_Sucanat.html

DH also uses molasses when baking bread if the recipe calls for it. I've heard good things about agave nectar but have never tried it. DH loves maple syrup in his coffee - I don't drink coffee so I can't comment one way or the other. We use maple syrup on oatmeal, plain yogurt, etc. We use Sucanat 1:1 as a replacement for white or brown sugar when baking. I will say that we do have a stash of white & brown sugar on hand for occasional use because it is cost prohibitive for us to use Sucanat for all of our baking. That's the catch-22 we've found ourselves in by making a lot from scratch - it's hard when the ingredients are expensive. Still better than processed food, but I'd love to make everything with an unrefined sweetener.

For the most part we avoid artificial sweeteners - DDs don't have them ever but DH and I very occasionally do.
    ETA: I do give older DD xylitol sweetened Spry gum occasionally, but xylitol has known dental benefits
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Artificial sweeteners are BAAAAD news! Avoid them! You are better off using organic cane sugars and using them in moderation. I feel brainwashed. When I got my dietetics degree, back in the 90's, they could not stop singing the praises of artificial sweetners. I stupidly just went along with what I was taught and it was not until I had kids in that last four yrs that I started to research things more on my own. I weaned myself off of dt coke/pepsi last yr, but now if I ever have pop, I go with the full sugar version and I don't want ANYTHING that has high fructose corn syrup!

I high recommend you read the book, "Skinny Bitch." Don't let the title turn you off, they are sometimes kind of crass in their language in the book, but they do a very good job exposing how the corporate world (and gov't) have brainwashed the american public into a sense of false security and also this herd mentality of just doing what we are told (fed). If you want a lifestyle change, I suggest, "skinny bitch" it's like a shocking way to find out about this info if you have never been exposed to it before. For me, since I hang out at MDC, I already knew about many of the things that skinny bitch talked about, but I was still very shocked by some things, such as what goes on in meat plants... and they are not lies. I know someone whose mom used to work in a tyson chicken plant and she pretty much verified what the book said. She says her mom will have nothing to do with tyson chicken to this day, even though she has not worked that job for years.

Default Ita!

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty
    Artificial sweeteners are BAAAAD news! Avoid them! You are better off using organic cane sugars and using them in moderation. I feel brainwashed. When I got my dietetics degree, back in the 90's, they could not stop singing the praises of artificial sweetners. I stupidly just went along with what I was taught and it was not until I had kids in that last four yrs that I started to research things more on my own. I weaned myself off of dt coke/pepsi last yr, but now if I ever have pop, I go with the full sugar version and I don't want ANYTHING that has high fructose corn syrup!

Absolutely. The research on white sugar is clear: it contains no nutrients, and has an immediate, negative effect on your body. Some go so far as to call it a poison.

We use organic turbinado and sucanat sugars, in addition to maple syrup and honey. All are available over the net or at Costco. Sweet, excellent for baking, and variously great in drinks.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

We use organic turbinado or sucanat. It used to be expensive to purchase but recently we found it at Costco and it is almost not more expensive than getting name brand white sugar at the grocery store! We've also used Agave and liked it (some people say the dark version is like maple syrup, BTW). When we get Agave next time we will get a higher quality one because if it's high quality, you use less of it than sugar and therefore cut down your consumption. Good agave is supposed to be about 3 to 4 times sweeter than sugar. Also, we avoid HFCS and CS as if they were poision. I read the labels on processesd food constantly and I just don't buy something if it has any HFCS, CS, hydrogenated or otherwise crappy oils or anything I can't pronounce easily.
    HTH

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by vludmilla
    We use organic turbinado or sucanat. It used to be expensive to purchase but recently we found it at Costco and it is almost not more expensive than getting name brand white sugar at the grocery store!
    Oh how I wish I had a Costco nearby! A 2 lb bag (the biggest bag there) of Sucanat around here is about $7.
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

I get organic turbinado from Trader Joe's. Love it. In fact, I can absolutely tell the difference if I, say, have 'plain' white sugar in a cup of tea someplace else. I think I may also have a big bag of it from Costco in the basement.

Demerara sugar is also good (found it at Whole Foods). I have it in cubes for when we have company and want to go more 'upscale' (my sugar dispenser for the regular stuff is pretty plain).

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

Yes, the organic turbinado from TJ's is great. It isn't super cheap but it's also not too expensive. I think it is $3 for a pound. Not great for baking needs, I suppose but not bad for sweetening teas and coffee.
    HTH

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We use sucanat (bulk from the local co-op, it is pretty cheap), or organic granulated sugar that is not bleach white. We also have molasses, honeys and maple syrup in the house. We do use organic powder sugar still for special cake icing. But that is not used very often- only b-days and Christmas.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast