Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Update

I just thought I would update you guys since you all spend to much time and effort listening and advising me

I resigned today. I am still not sure if they are going to pull my teaching certificate - but I knew all along that was a possibility so while it totally stinks, I can accept it if that is what happens.

I just finally came to the point where nothing was worth being this miserable over. I dont' have a solid plan B, but I just didnt want to put off the resignation any longer. I was starting to become physically ill each night just dreading the next day.

And I am still a little miserable - b/c I know I let people down (esp the kids) and might have put my career in jeopardy, but I am a little LESS miserable with all of that on my shoulders than staying in a job I just couldnt stand any longer.

I still haven't told my co-teacher or the center director - I think they will be the most upset. I have 9 days left and just don't feel in any huge rush to disappoint them or make my last 9 days even worse (by telling them and they resent me). They dont have any say or responsibility in who replaces me (the school district does) so its' just a matter of letting them know, not a time crunch thing for them. I know the director and the district will want to let the parents know, but I assume they won't tell them until the last day or so anyway....

It really stinks all around, but in the long run, I know I did the right thing. I was at peace once I made the decision, but it's hard getting through this part of it all (letting everyone know, knowing I am burdening them)

Thanks again for your support

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes......that way you are a mile away and you have their shoes" - unknown

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by firsttimemommy
    I resigned today. I am still not sure if they are going to pull my teaching certificate - but I knew all along that was a possibility so while it totally stinks, I can accept it if that is what happens.

Wow, can they *do* that? I'd get some legal advice on that. That doesn't seem right. Are you union? Talk to your union.

Good luck. Sounds like you did the right thing for you!!!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

I'm pretty sure they CAN do it - I signed a contract and am breaking it. I mean people do it all the time for family moves, illnesses, babies, etc, but those are considered unavoidable type reasons - mine was still a choice for the most part (I didn't go in with a medical recommendation,etc b/c I didn't want to "go out" that way)

But I know numerous people who have left for "better jobs" and then come BACK when it didn't work out like they had hoped, so I think if they pulled my cert or if they didn't want me back someday (if I ever want to go back) it would be just to be spiteful or b/c I got the wrong HR person on the wrong day. :I

I did finally tell the center director today and she was remarkably ok with everything- seemed to genuinely understand (or maybe she was lying, but i dont' think so!). I feel much better about that.

Now I just have to figure out what to do next ! Thanks again

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes......that way you are a mile away and you have their shoes" - unknown

I really feel for you. I taught special ed for many years. The last year I spent in a classroom, I had 5 students and 6 assistants, due to the size of the high school students and their SEVERE behavior disorders. I ended up in the E.R. twice, and finally had to admit that I was becoming a crappy parent to be a half-ass teacher. It was time to leave. Teaching special ed never really does get easier, as you have to figure out each child's personality and what works one day will not necessarily work the next day. It really is often an exercise in futility. Some days, though, are definitely worth it. I've thought about going back, but I'm just too far removed at this point in my life.

I am now a Real Estate agent. Things are still happy-go-lucky where you are inTX? Here in GA, even though the market is not nearly as bad as it is other places, I see very few happy agents. I gave up my office space and work from home now, just because the office was a depressing place to be. I'm a buyer's agent, but I'm getting my certification this week to sell foreclosures, since that is where the bulk of the business will be in the next year.

I'm not saying this to discourage you at all, I just want to make sure you know that Real Estate is as hard as teaching Special Ed. In fact, in many ways, it's very similar, but you don't always get a check at the end of the month.
    Beth
    mom to Josh, Mollie, Jeffrey and Katherine Grace

Wow, I know I could never do high school - they would kill me! I have seen a dr twice this year for injuries and these are 3, 4 and 5 year olds!

I think I was removing myself from public education in general at least 4 years ago. I really can't blame my dissatisfaction completely on this job...it just sealed the deal I guess.

The weird thing about Real Estate is that while I have always been interested in it, it seems to be finding me. Everywhere I turn there are weird coincidences, lots of encouragement, I don't know... hard to explain. I figure it can't hurt to try and as long as I give it 100% I won't be sorry. I think if you get in when its "down" and survive, you wont' be one that falls off the wagon when the goin' gets rough. But then again, what do I know?

I am in the San Antonio area. The agent/mentors I have all seem SO positive and upbeat, but yet they don't try to gloss it over either - they give it to me straight on the "hard" questions I ask. Maybe they are just selling me a career? If so then I guess they are good and I'm buyin it!

I'm also not afraid of hard work and not afraid of not having a paycheck (at least for a while) - I just want to enjoy the journey and enjoy what I do. And that is just not teaching (at least in the public schools) anymore. I may "burn out" on real estate after awhile and that's ok too - I will stay focused on just being happy with my work, even if it has to change There's always law school! :O)

I just never want to be a crappy parent and a half-ass employee again (boy did you hit the nail on the head with that description! That 's how I feel!), and that is what I would be if I don't enjoy what I am doing....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2