Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kboyle is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default OK, overload me with info...

We are planning on going with my parents next Nov and I want to start planning now.

What do I need to know?

What sites will be useful?

I plan on getting the Unofficial DIsney Guide, any other guides helpful?

Are we better of with 2 rooms (me, dh, 3 kiddos & my parents) or try and stay in a suite?

Thanks Disney Mamas!!
    Kristine, Supermommy to
    Charlie (6/2003), Max (8/2005) & Ernie (5/2007)

dotgirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have a number of thoughts, having taken lots of trips to both Disneyland and Disney World, but I didn't see which park you're going to?
    - Penny
    DD: Britt (03/22/93)
    DS: Riley (11/04/03)

oops, we are going to Disney World
    Kristine, Supermommy to

dotgirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Ok!

Well, first off, this is a good site - http://www.mousesavers.com/

The other suggestions I would make are:
    If you can afford it, stay at one of the resorts that is on the monorail line - so the Polynesian, Contemporary, or Grand Floridian (the Contemporary is the least expensive of the three). We stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge back in 2005, and while it was nice, dealing with the shuttle was awful - just lots of waiting, and a really long ride. Same goes for when we stayed at Port Orleans.

Wikipedia has more information about the monorail loop - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Di...onorail_System

The other suggestion I would make is this - get up as early as your kids will let you and get to one of the parks. Stay until about 1pm, and then head back to your hotel to relax for a couple of hours - we usually did about 3 hours. Your kids can nap, play in the pool, watch tv, whatever - but it's definitely important to have a mid-afternoon break. Around 4, head back out to a park - you'll be rested and refreshed. We usually do this on all of our trips - the one day we didn't, everyone was miserable by 5pm.

Rooms - We've never done the suite thing. We usually do us and DD & DS in one room with 2 queens and a pullout sofa (or 2 queens and bunkbeds), while DH's parents stay in their own room. I'm not sure what makes more financial sense, though.

Also, given the ages of your children, I would make sure you bring your own stroller. It will be invaluable, especially since the parks occasionally run out of strollers - and that would not be fun! Also, if you want to do Downtown Disney, it's nice.

I'm not sure about the meal plan stuff - I hear it's a good deal, but since DH works for Disney, we do better just using his discount at all the restaurants.

And if you're interested, there are a couple of places that provide in room babysitting - not sure what your comfort level is with that, but we used it on our 2005 trip - it was nice to have a dinner away from DD & DH. I recall it being about $10 an hour, and we were gone about 3 hours.

If you think of any other specific questions, post! There are other posters who are much more experienced with Disney trips than I!
    - Penny
    DD: Britt (03/22/93)
    DS: Riley (11/04/03)

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

2 more sites that may help

www.disboards.com
    www.allearsnet.com

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We stayed in a suite at WDW this past March, and while it cost more than what we hoped, we're glad we did. Having a washing machine and a refridgerator in our room was fantastic. And there were only the three of us!
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

thanks Penny, i will definately keep all those points in mind. yeah...a mid day break will definitely be needed! just thinking and planning this trip already has me worn out & stressed!

laura, which hotel did you stay at with the suite?
    Kristine, Supermommy to

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We were at the Boardwalk Inn & Villas (we booked so late that we were either staying there or at the campground!). We really liked the location - we could walk to MGM, which is where we headed when DD was napping in her stroller! But yeah, way more money than I had budgeted.
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Well, you may want to check out the dis boards too. There is an overload of info there. Its all one word. They know more about last minute than I do.
    Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by Neatfreak
    We were at the Boardwalk Inn & Villas (we booked so late that we were either staying there or at the campground!). We really liked the location - we could walk to MGM, which is where we headed when DD was napping in her stroller! But yeah, way more money than I had budgeted.
    Laura, Can you share more about Boardwalk? We're going for the first time with C and W--they'll be just 5 and just 3. Is it worth the extra $$ over a suite at ASMu? TIA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast