Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I am NOT crafty!

So why did I think I was? It seemed like such a good idea to make hot cocoa mix and put it in glass jars that I would then decorate to give to my friends. Nice, homemade, fairly cheap. Great idea, right???

Except that my jars look like a crazed lunatic got a hold of a glue gun and attacked them with ribbon. They are really not very cute. I tried to make one cuter and it is now uglier. I don't know how you can make a plain jar ugly with just some glue and ribbon, but somehow I managed.

Thank goodness these are for close friends and not acquaintances that I'm trying to impress!

Stupid Michael's....making it look like just anybody can pick up a glue gun and create fabulous homemade gifts. Somebody please take the glue gun away from me. Please. Gah.
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hugs! Sometimes less can be more. Since it is hot glue on glass, can you pick it off and start over? Maybe put a strip of ribbon around the lid and some Christmas themed stickers on the jar?

And your friends will love the cocoa....cause you CAN cook...right?
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Oh, I hear you. I only use the glue gun under supervision by my DD's nanny. I am so not joking. I pay her extra to stay and help me. Oh, and if it helps, I'm cursed/blessed to have a sister who is uber-crafty and puts me to shame All. The. Time.

I'm sure the cocoa will be delicious. My good friends would think it was cute that I even tried to be cute and crafty.
    S
    DD 6/06
    DS 5/09

Yeah, that's what I did, a strip of ribbon around the lid, some Christmas themed stickers. And it still looks kind of crappy. It's kind of funny, except for the part where I was trying so hard to make it look nice!

And yeah, I can cook. I taste tested the mix just to make sure it was going to be good!
    Gaye

ok, i am uber crafty, as PP said it. so here goes- get some holiday fabric. (walmart? anywhere. cheap.) cut it in circles. put the circle over the lid, so that it hangs down to cover the lid and then some, then tie around the jar neck with the ribbon. no glue gun required, entire lid is covered, jar is now super cute.
    the end.
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizajane
    ok, i am uber crafty, as PP said it. so here goes- get some holiday fabric. (walmart? anywhere. cheap.) cut it in circles. put the circle over the lid, so that it hangs down to cover the lid and then some, then tie around the jar neck with the ribbon. no glue gun required, entire lid is covered, jar is now super cute.
    the end.
    Great idea! And honestly, I'd be so happy with the hot chocolate mix that I wouldn't even care about the jar. Yummmm!!!!
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

If you have time, do you mind sharing the hot chocolate recipe? I'd love to make this!!

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by etaylor75
    If you have time, do you mind sharing the hot chocolate recipe? I'd love to make this!!

Erin
    Sure, I used Alton Brown's Hot Cocoa recipe from Good Eats.

Hot Cocoa
    2 cups powdered sugar
    1 cup cocoa (Dutch-process preferred)
    2 1/2 cups powdered milk
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste

Fill your mug 1/2 to 1/3 full with the mixture and cover with hot water. Whisk or stir well to dissolve mix. Fill your mug the rest of the way with water and stir. Seal the rest in an airtight container, keeps indefinitely in the pantry. This also works great with warm milk.

I found that 1 recipe is enough to fill one quart sized mason jar. I made two double batches yesterday and I think I'm going to make a few more batches, but I ran out of ingredients. I taste tested a cup and it was really good. Not as sweet as most mixes, and very chocolatey. The cayenne is really nice (adds a little warmth/burn at the back of your throat). Yummy!
    Gaye

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Sounds yummy!

The recipe looks really good. Sounds like pp will forget the package when they taste the actual cocoa.
    I am not crafty either and actually would have never attempted such a thing! I have finally come to terms with the fact that I am good at some things and crafts is just not one of them. And all 4 of my sisters in law can sew, knit, craft, etc. In fact I got straight A's in high school except 1 class - Arts and Crafts!

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by tylersmama
    Yeah, that's what I did, a strip of ribbon around the lid, some Christmas themed stickers. And it still looks kind of crappy. It's kind of funny, except for the part where I was trying so hard to make it look nice!
    Are you sure your DS wasn't "helping" you decorate them? (hint, hint)
    Jen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast